The best central defender under 25 in 3rd season?

daisuke

Reaction score
I clearly chose a wrong option when Balanta moaned that he wants to join PSG and now it said I promised to let him go as soon as possible despite him playing 41 matches out of 62 in the 2nd season. He's not that impressive for me so far, making some crucial mistakes, but I really don't know who to replace him. I just realized his stats are top class despite his inconsistent performance. I can't find anyone topping his stats.

Currently I have Sakho, Skrtel, Vallejo and Mammana. I don't trust Mammana enough to make his debut yet. Meanwhile the other three are also inconsistent though Vallejo improved a bit. So who can replace Balanta? I need a list as it seems everyone is expensive as the game progresses. And also some proves that he can perform :p

Varane,Marquinhos,Zouma,Laporte,Papadopoulos,Umtiti...personaly i would go for Varane,the best CD in teh game,even better than Balanta...

Has to be Balanta, plus hes only 5m at start of game. If you wanted another then i used Samuel Umtiti at Arsenal and he turned out really well. All depends about how they have progressed in your save.

Varane,Marquinhos,Zouma,Laporte,Papadopoulos,Umtiti...personaly i would go for Varane,the best CD in teh game,even better than Balanta...
Isn't Varane injury prone though? I looked at his history, and he got injured a lot.

I have the same problem with Balanta!

Amazing stats but crucial mistakes that cost me some points.

I think Laporte is your best choice and don't sell Balanta. Retrain him to half back (if you use it, ofc). It worked great for me.

View attachment 305558

Vallejo will definitely improved loads if you give him time.
I gave him regular time in my first team since first season and he became a starter by second season.
But yea I'm playing in Serie A, perhaps easier for me to blood them in since other teams in Serie A are relatively weaker compared to BPL teams.

Kurt Zouma, Doria & Marquinhos are probably the best 3.

I'd personally avoid Umtiti as he's only 5ft 11 (unless you decide to play him at left-back where he is quality) I have first hand experience from my Lyon save last year. I'd avoid Eder Balanta for the same reason.

Kurt Zouma, Doria & Marquinhos are probably the best 3.

I'd personally avoid Umtiti as he's only 5ft 11 (unless you decide to play him at left-back where he is quality) I have first hand experience from my Lyon save last year. I'd avoid Eder Balanta for the same reason.

It varies.. Pair either of them next to a tall defender, and it'll break apart the opposition.. One of pace and the other for any over-head balls. Besides, height doesn't count, anticipation and jumping reach do.

I ended up buying Varane for £50M (yes, I don't know what to do with the money..) and he is so bad. Worst than Balanta and Vallejo in his early days. I just hope it's because he didn't settle in yet and will play better as time progresses. I don't want my expensive signing ever to become a big flop.