The best goalscoring keepers (real life)

Gaffer

Reaction score

Rogerio Ceni
"When a goalkeeper goes on to the pitch he doesn't think about scoring a goal but it turned out the way I wanted," a modest Ceni told reporters after his 100th goal.

schmeichel_273624s.jpg

Peter Schmeichel
Peter Schmeichel scored thirteen goals in his distinguished career, including heading Manchester United's equaliser from a corner in a Uefa Cup tie against Rotor Volgograd in 1996 (pictured), although United still went out on the away goals rule. He scored more goals than many a defender, his last one in a 3-2 win against Everton during his spell at Aston Villa.

bosnich_273623s.jpg

Mark Bosnich
The former Aston Villa, Manchester United and Australia goalkeeper was simply taking the Mickey with his solitary career goal. He netted from the penalty spot for his country's final goal in a 13-0 win over Samoa in a World Cup qualifier.

chilavert_273622s.jpg

Jose Luis Chilavert
Emile Heskey, eat your heart out. Paraguayan keeper Chilavert scored 62 times in his career (eight in 74 international matches). A somewhat extrovert keeper, he developed an enviable prowess with free-kicks. In 1999, in the single most eye-catching game of a notable career, he scored a hat-trick in a 6-1 win in the Argentinean first division.

jennings_273621s.jpg

Pat Jennings
The single most famous goal by a keeper was by Pat Jennings, who lumped a clearance from his own box during the 1968 Charity Shield game - and then watched it bounce over the head of Manchester United keeper Alex Stepney at the other end.

stepney_273620s.jpg

Alex Stepney
As a kind of revenge, Stepney took to scoring goals himself. During Manchester United's disastrous relegation season of 1973, manager Tommy Docherty entrusted him to take penalties. Despite the player's own misgivings, he entered the New Year as joint-top scorer that season - with two.

robinson_273619s.jpg

Paul Robinson
It could be something in the air at Tottenham - England keeper Robinson lumped a free kick from the edge of his own box a full 95 yards to bounce over the head of fellow England wannabe Ben Foster (then on loan at Watford) and into the net. Robinson had the decency to admit: 'It was fantastic to score a goal, but I can't really pretend that I meant it.'

campos_273618s.jpg

Jorge Campos
The Mexican keeper is most often remembered for designing his own garish shirts, but he too had an eye for goal - and scored 38 in his career. The difference was that he often played up front. In his early career, his first team place was blocked by a more established keeper, so he got games as a striker (scoring 14 goals in his first season). Later in his career, when his team were struggling for goals, a substitute keeper would be brought on and Campos would finish the game up front - once scoring an impressive bicycle kick for Atalante in 1997 in a game he started between the posts.

ricardo_273617a.jpg

Ricardo
It was a goalie that put England out of the 2004 European Championships. While we were all watching Ronaldo's postures, Portugal's Ricardo scored the decisive penalty in the quarter-final shout-out that ended England's hopes once again.

smith_273616s.jpg

Paul Smith
Smith had the easiest goal of all. Leicester were 1-0 down at half time against Nottingham Forest in this 2007 Carling Cup tie. During the interval Leicester defender Clive Clarke collapsed in the dressing-room. Fearing his life could be in danger, the match was abandoned and a replay was scheduled for three weeks later. At kick-off in the replay, the entire Leicester team stood to one side to allow Forest keeper Paul Smith to take the ball up the pitch and restore Forest's 1-0 advantage from the original game. Leicester however went on to win the match.

glass_273615s.jpg

Jimmy Glass
The most dramatic is undoubtedly Jimmy Glass. Carlisle United needed a win to stay in the football league, but were held at 1-1 in the 90th minute of the 1998-99 season. Glass pops up for a corner and lashed home the winner to ensure legendary status (in Carlisle at least).

Original article

Read this article and thought it was interesting, so decided to share :)

I was at the Forest - Leicester game to see Paul Smith score that goal!

Ceni did not score his official 100th goal, he is on 98 :) he scored 2 in a non competitive (friendly game)

I remember watching a stream of Rogerio Ceni's 100th goal*, the noise levels were ridiculous!

I'd hate it if my team ever signed a goalkeeper that takes penalties or freekicks ... imagine the keeper saves it.

*ok, his 98th ;)

Remember the jimmy glass goal, what a moment, what a legend!

To add to the list, Rene Higuita scored 30 club goals and 8 international goals for Columbia in his career.

Edit: Beaten to it by GC, well played sir

I remember Paul Robinson scoring the equaliser against us (Swindon) in the Carling Cup for Leeds which sent the tie to penalties. He then made an amazing save in the penalty shoot out to send us out.

The only 2 goalscoring keepers I knew before I read this was Rogerio Ceni and Paul Robinson (obviously). I knew Ceni from FM when I was looking for a keeper and he was great at free-kicks.

Question.
No Sinan Bolat who scored in 94th minute for Standard to lead them into Europa League against AZ Alkmaar? :(

There's some argentinian keeper too, quite well known in FM too, don't remember is name, good in free kicks.

Also, Vincent Enyeama scores some Penalty kicks. And manyyy keepers have scored from a kick in their own box.