The best leagues to load in Football Manager for Newgens [Data Based]

JohnConnor

Nov 16, 2020
See the full article here

I have sampled each and every playable club in the game for their real median PA values. This is the best indicator of newgen quality. I explain why in the article, but basically the PA of the best player in the intake is much more random than the median PA, which is quite stable and is a good indicator of expected quality.

I have then weighted the quality of each division with the processing time for the division, to create a ranking of what leagues should be loaded and which aren't worthwhile. You can read my earlier article which explores processing time here.

A few examples of my findings:

- South Korea is one of the best leagues to load
- Colombia has 17 clubs with 100+ median PA (for comparison, Greece only has 2)
- Argentina Div 2 isn't worth it due to the high number of mediocre clubs in a burgeoning division (worse than South Africa when weighted)
- Chile Div 1 is even worse than Argentina Div 2
- France Div 2 is better than many other options, including the first divisions of Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Austria.
- Romania has a 130 PA club (FC Viitorul), but the rest of the division was so mediocre that it makes Romania Div 1 not worth selecting overall

In the future I will be releasing the full data (i.e. exact median PA values I recorded for each individual club) if there is enough interest

All feedback, questions and suggestions welcome

thehanoian

Aug 11, 2018
Great analysis. I observed in FM19 that top teams buy many South Korean newgens as the game progesses. An the SK national team benefit directly from those newgens as they dominate Asia and constantly stay in top 10 World Ranking.

JohnConnor

Nov 16, 2020
Cheers lads, stay tuned for something even better soon. Don't want to pump it up too much because I'm still working on it, but basically I've reversed engineered the actual newgen formula, and it includes one factor you might not be expecting. Right now I'm getting results with ~95% accuracy (predicts the median PA). I'm trying to work out if the difference is just random variation, or if I've not identified a factor, or if I can nonetheless tune my numbers to get higher accuracy.

I observed in FM19 that top teams buy many South Korean newgens as the game progesses
Another reason I like South Korea (don't know if it's same in future FM versions) is that its one of the countries that gives bonus mechanizing revenue too. A curious fact is also that one team in South Korea Div 1 consists purely of loaned players - it's a team that players play for when they do mandatory military service.

JohnConnor

Nov 16, 2020
@fc.cadoni

Thanks

Unfortunately the formula I came up with turned out not to be as effective as it initially seemed to be. It works for getting a rough idea, but it's only about as accurate as a single sample of the median PA data.

My latest article is Proving 'Youth Facilities' has no effect on newgen PA in Football Manager.
In addition to what the title says, in it you'll find some of the raw data I've gathered (for your own assessment), as well as what I've found does or does not contribute to newgen PA.

Last edited:

Swans

Apr 14, 2020
USA
@fc.cadoni

Thanks

Unfortunately the formula I came up with turned out not to be as effective as it initially seemed to be. It works for getting a rough idea, but it's only about as accurate as a single sample of the median PA data.

My latest article is Proving 'Youth Facilities' has no effect on newgen PA in Football Manager.
In addition to what the title says, in it you'll find some of the raw data I've gathered (for your own assessment), as well as what I've found does or does not contribute to newgen PA.
Just a heads up, seems the link you posted doesn't actually re-direct to any URL. I was able to navigate to the article via the links you posted in the OP, though.

JohnConnor

Nov 16, 2020
What's next John?
Just sent you a message, but in case someone else wants to know, I plan on making posts on these two things soon:

Training
Set of steps to creating a near-perfect custom DB (hours long process, but gives better result than default game)

I can put out some more stuff on PA (i.e. more specific data for one thing), and a collection of little interesting tidbits.. for instance, have you ever wondered where the permanant 'scouting knowledge' of a scout is located in the editor? It's unintuitively in 'career plans' under 'person data' (would be a major tip, if it weren't for the fact that certain 'career plans' aren't searchable in the editor).. but I don't really feel like posting more on that stuff right now

Swans

Apr 14, 2020
USA
Just sent you a message, but in case someone else wants to know, I plan on making posts on these two things soon:

Training
Set of steps to creating a near-perfect custom DB (hours long process, but gives better result than default game)

I can put out some more stuff on PA (i.e. more specific data for one thing), and a collection of little interesting tidbits.. for instance, have you ever wondered where the permanant 'scouting knowledge' of a scout is located in the editor? It's unintuitively in 'career plans' under 'person data' (would be a major tip, if it weren't for the fact that certain 'career plans' aren't searchable in the editor).. but I don't really feel like posting more on that stuff right now
Ever done any kind of testing on which attributes tend to be most important for players to have? It's difficult to isolate the variable, especially when attributes presumably matter differently across positions, and even more so across roles. But for example, I tend to value passing very highly on all my midfielders, and dribbling + pace on strikers. I think people overvalue finishing and long shots, too -- sure, you wouldn't want a striker with a terrible finishing rating, but finishing seems to suffer from diminishing returns beyond a certain point, as it becomes more beneficial for the striker to create more/better chances than to better finish the chances he is already capable of creating.