Trotty

Reaction score

View attachment 216636

The rain was pounding against the window, as i opened the curtains i could hardly see the paperboy ride away on his bike. I went down stairs and went on the BBC sport website and the breaking news was that Grays Athletic were looking to bounce back to were they were 6 years ago pushing for league football and to do this they needed a ambitious manager and was willing to give anyone a chance.I thought to myself could i see myself in the dugout at Grays. Within minutes i phoned my agent to put my name forward. This was the chance for me to prove myself that i wasn't a waste of space anymore after my professional career i could never settle down at one team i was always on the move.

Few hours had passed and i had no response from my agent who had stuck by me through thick and thin. Had he finally given up on me after letting him down with previous interviews. I drove into town to take my mind off things and meet up with a few mates down the local bookmakers putting bets on horses and the dogs.

I drove back home after an unsuccessful day yet again. I got home and noticed i had 3 answer phone messages. Were they from my agent or just banks wanting there money. Thankfully it was my agent and my interview was at 5!!!I quickly rushed out the house and drove to essex thankfully it wasn't to far away and i immediately got in touch with my agent to say i'm on my way!!​

Last edited:
I sprinted through the doors of Grays trying to identify where the meeting was being held. I seen my agent sitting there to my left hands in his heads and looked ready to explode. ' He shouted to me its TOO LATE!, this has always been your problem more interested in the horses than trying to sort your professional career out!'

I looked up to the clock and tears were starting to fil up in my eyes. It hit me id wasted the last 10 years of my life doing the same thing everyday. I wanted to change I needed to change. I looked back to where my agent was sitting but he'd gone. I spoke to the lady behind reception and asked where the chairman was which she kindly directed me to.

I was outside the boardroom wondering what to say or do. Then my brain took over and i knocked...​

Last edited:
After hours of talks which were progressing nicely we were going to meet up tomorrow to talk about contracts. It was clear that we both had the same ambitious goals and wanted to take the club into the football league and more importantly for my personal life things were on the up.

I got home and turned Sky Sports News on and on the breaking news bar scrolling across the screen Michael Chopra to be unveiled as new Grays Athletic boss. It was a feeling i'l never forget it reminded me singing my 1st professional contract with Newcastle United.i couldnt sleep that night wondering what was round the corner and who was going to be in my back room staff, the players that i could possibly sign. I was actually looking forward to the next something which hadnt happened for a very long time.

I woke up had a shower but my best suit on and was out the door an on the way to Grays to be shown the facilities,the stadium and more importantly the players il be working with. The contract was on the table waiting for me as I arrived, i looked it over and signed £375 week will do me and i could finally start putting my financial situation behind me.​

Last edited:
The time had come i was about to start my managerial career at Grays Athletic and after a very tough pre season with many players coming and going i was ready to take this team where it belongs League Football.

I was up most of the night before the 1st league game of the season trying to pick the best tactic and players who would of thought that being a manager is so stressful i wanted instant success and the fans to like me. It was 1am and i knew i had to go to sleep but i just lay there thinking if i fail at this I might as well just forget about football and go and work in Tescos at the checkouts.

After hardly any sleep i woke up and morning flew by i was already at the pitch getting a standing ovation from the crowd before i knew what had hit me. I sat in the dugout and the game felt like it last seconds. The other games for the rest of the month felt the same. The results weren't what i was expecting either.

View attachment 217055

View attachment 217056

View attachment 217057

The cup dream was over after a defeat to Worksop and the league didn't really get off to a good start hopefully things will get better!​

Last edited:
Hi mate, just a few helpful suggestions for you.
1. Dont use bold font on all your writing.
2. Try making your spacing smaller, fit more sentances into paragraphs.
3. When referring to yourself as "I" use the capital variation rather than lower case.
4. Maybe limit the amount of screenshots in each update, no need to post screenies of everything.
5. Dont go into detail about every match, just single out important results.
6. Maybe give this thread a read: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/88002-story-help-advice-thread.html

Follow these points and I am sure you will get a few followers.

Also if you want to see examples of sucessful stories check out these 3 which have many followers:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...igh-flying-dutchmen-ajax-amsterdam-story.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/91056-espa%F1-love-hate.html
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/89256-diving-recklessly.html

October update 2011

A very good month with some very pleasing performances only dropped 5 points in the league. Grays got a job done in the FA Vase against a weak Thames side. It Seems Grays are starting to gel well together as a team and with a bit more luck in some games could really go on and win the league at the canter. If there was one problem i think the team has is its lack of goals, which i hope to address in the coming months.

View attachment 216879
View attachment 216880
View attachment 216881

Player of Month:
Andrew Giallombardo. Scored on goal but pt in solid performances all month