Reaction score
View attachment 237667
Andre Villas Boas to be confirmed as Chelsea manager
View attachment 237673
Villas Boas (right) celebrating Europa League win with Helton

Following the dismissal of Carlo Ancelotti it is believed that Porto manager Andre Villas Boas is set to take over as the manager of Chelsea football club. The Portuguese manager had a highly successful season last year winning the Treble including the Portuguese league and cup as well as the Europa League. Villas Boas used to work at Stamford Bridge under fan favorite Jose Mourinho and has learned from his fellow countryman. Chelsea fans are looking forward to the 33 year old taking charge largely due to his likeness of Mourinho. If Villas Boas accepts this job he will be under a lot of pressure to succeed at Stamford Bridge as owner Roman Abramovich has little patience with managers at the club as has been shown by him going through 6 managers in just over 6 years.

The odds on the next chelsea manager are as follows ;
Andre Villas Boas - 7/4
Guus Hiddink - 3/1
Jose Mourinho - 7/1
Pep Guardiola - 7/1
Liam Byrne - 11/1

The name of Byrne won't be familiar to most Chelsea fans, but the 39 year old Irish man began his career at Chelsea before moving back to his native home of Ireland to play out his playing career when he was told he wasn't good enough for the Premier League. However he returned to Stamford Bridge as a scout in 2006 and became the manager of the Chelsea youth team in 2008.

View attachment 237843
Byrne named new Chelsea manager
View attachment 237844
The Blues have released a statement saying that the role of manager at the club that had been vacant following the departure of Carlo Ancelotti has been filled- by ex Blues midfielder Liam Byrne (above). It was widely expected that Andre Villas Boas would be replacing the Italian who was sacked following the trophyless season Chelsea last term. The Irishman will be subject to a press conference tomorrow at 11:30am at Stamford Bridge.

Q. Most people were surprised when you were named Chelsea boss, were you one of them?
Honestly? Yes I was, I put my name in for the job of course but with all the talented managers applying for a club like this. I am delighted at being given the opportunity to manage Chelsea and I'll do my best to make Roman proud.

Q. Are you not afraid that if you're not an immediate success then you will be sacked without warning? The owner seems to have a tendency of sacking his managers.
No, no. Me and Roman had a nice chat regarding his expectations for the season, and he promised me that if we avoid a woeful season my job is secure. He wants to have a long term project here I am the man he brought in to instigate it.

Q. Does that mean that you'll be getting rid of the 'old guard' in exchange for younger players?
Well it depends on how well in training and if they can win me over. I will be getting rid of the deadwood at the club and anyone who has a bad attitude. If any of the older players stay they will have to settle for rotational places as we are currently looking to bring a younger aspect to Chelsea football club. However their experience could prove invaluable this season.

Q. Who will be the key players for your side this season?
I don't want to single anyone out, but I've promised Roman that I'd do all I can to get the best out of a certain Fernando Torres. Fernando had a poor year last year but I believe it's just a lack of confidence and that Ancelotti's tactics didn't suit Fernando's style of play.

View attachment 237845
Terry Exclusive: Byrne stripped me of captaincy!
View attachment 237849
Chelsea captain, or ex captain, John Terry has lashed out at Liam Byrne following the Irishman's decision to strip Terry of the Chelsea captaincy. The Chelsea gaffer previously stated that he felt that he wanted to change the captain to show his authority. Ashley Cole has been rewarded with the armband and Fernando Torres will deputize for the left back. Terry stated that he felt that he was being treated unfairly and that he's not a big fan of the manager. It will be interesting to see how Byrne retaliates to Terry's decision to bring the small matter into the media spotlight.

View attachment 237851
Chelsea confirm Willian signing
View attachment 237852
Willian (above) in his days at Shakhtar
Chelsea have confirmed the signing of the Brazillian out of the blue for a fee of around £10m. Byrne stated that he wanted to keep the transfer on the quiet so others would not try and steal the player away from them. Byrne previously stated that he wanted a right winger and a central midfielder for his side. It is yet to be seen what position Willian will fill as he can play in both of these positions. The Brazillian has announced his delight on signing for Chelsea saying that it was a dream come true to move to Chelsea and how he was eager to impress his new manager.

PSG Swoop for Blues duo

View attachment 237853r
Anelka (left) and Malouda (right) during their time at Chelsea

Paris Saint Germain have signed Chelsea stars Nicolas Anelka and Florent Malouda for a combined fee of £15m. The French internationals were both transfer listed by new boss Liam Byrne despite being main components of former manager Carlo Ancelotti's sides. Both Chelsea stars were part of the Chelsea Double winning side of the 2009/10 season.​

Preseason;
View attachment 237854

Chelsea had a good pre-season picking up 6 wins out of 7 and helped a majority of players regain match fitness after a summer off. Many youth players were included in the friendlies helping them gain experience by playing for the first team. The highpoint of pre-season was undoubtedly the 3-0 win over Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge. Fernando Torres bagged a brace against his former side and wonderkid Romelu Lukaku finished the scoring late on. Chelsea enter the season with Frank Lampard and Michael Essien injured, the latter being out for a majority of the season, and Daniel Sturridge suspended for the opening 3 games of the season.​