The boys before 66- restoring former glories

carrott24

Reaction score
The Boys before '66

Having watched the boys of 66 documentary it got me thinking about teams that have also had a ridiculously long title drought (similar to England).So i went through the game and looked at most of the major European leagues and devised a list of clubs that i will be aiming to guide to a long overdue shot at domestic and possible European glory.

RULES

• [*=center]Teams cannot have won a domestic top division title after 1966
    [*=center]The same applies to national teams if i get offered the chance
    [*=center]I cant move on until i have guided the team to the title
    [*=center]If a club wins the title before i get to them they are taken off the list
    [*=center]Other than that the world( well some of europe) is my oyster

​THE CLUBS
A quick rundown of the clubs i have placed on the list

Portugal
- Belenenses
Italy-Genoa or Pro Vercelli
Scotland- Hibernian, Hearts or Motherwell
France- Nice or Sochaux
Germany- F
rankfurt,Hertha or Hannover
Spain- Real Betis
Holland- Utrecht,Willem II or Ado Den Haag
Belgium- Cercle Brugge or Antwerp

Having just done a 10 year save with Manchester City to get used to the game i will not be applying the challenge to England although I will have all the English leagues loaded as they sign a ridiculous amount of regens that get cast aside and I hope to benefit from this in the future

AND WITH THAT WISH ME LUCK! THIS COULD TAKE A WHILE

And so we begin!!!

View attachment 191803

We start with Belenenses in Portugal. Not the easiest starting point but certainly not the hardest.

Belenenses won the league for the only time in 1946. In fact they are 1 of just 2 teams other than the traditional 'Big three' of Porto, Benfica and Sporting to claim the Portuguese title. Last season they finished 6th and will compete in the Europa league this season.

I will now set about sorting out the club ( we have 0 scouts!!:mad:) and hopefully have a team that can compete in this league and across a plethora of competitions. I will be updating this monthly and doing a widespread review of all the teams listed in the OP at the end of each season.

I hope you enjoy this and any constructive comments will be appreciated as i have a lot to learn as a writer

This looks like it might be the start of a brilliant story. I will definitely be following.

Spain- Real Betis

As a die hard Betis fan you've got my full attention AND support so far.
I'll be wishing the best of luck and remember: "¡Viva er Betis manque pierda!" (It's our motto it would translate as: "Long live to Betis even when it loses!" Maybe it's not a flashy motto nor it doesn't make quite an impact... But shows really well how faithful and devoted is its fanbase).

Well i hope when it comes to Betis i do you proud. Could be a real challenge as when i ran my test save they got relegated out of the game!! But hopefully the job becomes available before that happens

When you get to Sotland, go to Hibs, then Hearts, or the other way around (turn the fans against you in a heartbeat lmao)

August(and pre-season)

Expectations:
Top Half of the league
Taca de Portugal fifth round
League cup semi final
Dont be outclassed in the Europa League(HA!)

Not the best month and a quiet transfer window

View attachment 191681

A below par pre season,4 points and a horrendous performance against Aberdeen. The lack of quality and resources to strengthen is crippling, but a steady start to the season all in all

View attachment 191676

This is the formation i have decided on for this season at least. A pretty basic attacking 4231 that seems pretty stable and works well but time will tell. Plus we have loads of wingers.

View attachment 191673

Only 3 transfers in and one out. Ghilas comes in to provide depth in the AMC and ST positions ( he was the best i could get:'() and Llorente and bravo help us out in midfield on fee free loans.

View attachment 191669

Sat in 9th going into September. So technically top half... but I hope for better going forward.​

love the idea mate. will be following

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

September

What have i let myself in for?

View attachment 191646

We encountered the first of the big three in sporting to kick off the month, and despite dominating the first 60 minutes we got spanked 4-1 with slimani scoring all 4. We are a LONGGGG way off at present. A decent draw with Vit.Setúbal and a penalty win in the cup thanks to my squad players before rounding off a disappointing month with a flat performance against Vit.Guimaraes.

Player of the month

View attachment 191642

Got 2 goals and looked a class above my other players this month.

View attachment 191643

I repeat.. what have i let myself in for:O​

Tough start but that just makes for a more interesting story, good luck! :)

Great idea for a story and it will be a tough challenge but you will feel the benefits when you succeed.

October

A steady month due to a tactical change

View attachment 191499

Decided to go with a more defensively solid style trying to hit teams on the counter as we have pacy players but low overall quality

View attachment 191498

4 points in the league and a win for my backups in the cup. Progress(ish) at last

View attachment 191496

We end october in 11th place but seem to be moving slowly in the right direction

Player of the month
View attachment 191495

Might not have been the star man but keeping us ticking along nicely. Breaks up play well and rarely misplaced a pass

Next month we play both Porto and Benfica.. oh god​

November

Slow and steady keeps us in the race

View attachment 191478

A poor performance against mid-table rivals Maritimo and a battling 0-0 against Porto before the international break. After that we beat Mafra to progress in the cup before capitulating against Benfica, although i would never have expected us to win anyway.

View attachment 191477

We sit in 12th place going into December and i'm not too worried. We are expected to finish in the top half so a push in the coming months should set us up well

Player of the month

View attachment 191476

Ferreira was incredible against Porto and got 2 assists in the cup

December

From bad to worse

View attachment 191464

no need to describe these really, just awful

View attachment 191463

15th and i don't see the slump stopping:S

Player of the month

Just nope.

I am in trouble. We have no money and i dont know how i'm going to reinforce the squad

January

View attachment 191461

A great win at the start of the month but the swath of red resulted in only one thing

View attachment 191457

Sacked! Great start to this challenge isn't it?!
Couldnt get a tactic to work consistently and injuries conspired against us

View attachment 191459

I left with the team in 18th..

I deserved it.

Next steps
Find a job with any eligible team on the list.
Farewell for now Portugal, i will return

End of season

First things first

View attachment 190958

After 4 months i finally got a job. Motherwell in the Ladbrokes Championship would be my new home
(i will review the team at the end of pre season)

Belgium

View attachment 190954

Antwerp survive comfortably but Cercle Brugge succumb to Belgium's ridiculous relegation rules

France

View attachment 190953 View attachment 190952

Nice had a poor season and were relegated. In ligue 2 sochaux managed to get promoted and replace them

Germany

View attachment 190944

Frankfurt have an absolute shocker and get relegated after turning me down with 8 games to go. Hertha and Hannover have decent end of season runs to pull away from danger
Holland

View attachment 190948

Willem II and and Utrecht have decent seasons and Ado den Haag survive comfortably

Italy

View attachment 190941 View attachment 190940

Genoa have a decent season and finish in 11th. A team i forgot to add to the list previously, Bologna, just about squeak survival and finish a point clear in 17th. In Serie B Pro Vercelli have a good year and finish 7th, just missing out on promotion by falling in the semi final.

Portugal

View attachment 190930

My former team Belenenses turn it around and finish in 15th

Scotland

View attachment 190927 View attachment 190925

Hearts finish safe in their first season back in the premier league whereas my new team Motherwell have a shocker and finish rock bottom. Hibs finish in 3rd and miss out on promotion.

Spain
View attachment 190923

Betis have a steady if not unspectacular season and finish 12th

Pre season/ August

Lots of movement in and out

View attachment 190833

I moved to strengthen several positions and provide us with options going into a long season. The main signing was ex manchester city youngster Donal Mcdermott
View attachment 190832

Expectations

Get into the promotion playoff
Reach the fifth round of the Scottish cup
Reach the third round of the league cup
The board don't care about the challenge cup but i want to be winning it

View attachment 190826

We have progressed through to the third round of both the challenge cup and league cup and we are doing okay in the league. Beating Hibs and losing to a surprisingly strong Falkirk team

View attachment 190827

This leaves us in 3rd and well poised to advance when we hit our stride as the season progresses

Player of the month

View attachment 190832

Has hit the ground running providing a fabulous performance against Hibs and Livingston in the cup​