The Brit Awards : No Longer Pop ****

Gregor

like a (super) mod
Reaction score
http://brits.co.uk/artists/

Screw Sir Lord of lordington James Blount (its acutalyl Blount and not Blut, posh ****) and vote for Ian 'Working Class Hero' Brown for best male!

James Blunt is up for soo many awards, hopefully he doesn't win any. I'm with Gregor, Ian Brown for Best Male

why are arctic monkeys not in the best band ?
blunt should win breaktthru and solo artist. kanye west for the international, thats guys rather good.

Whose whis ian brown character ?, never heard of him before, what are his good songs, and what about kasabian ?

He's rubbish Murali.

Check your rep :D

Khanye is good and Blunt r0x0rZ.

Ian Brown is a *** who thinks he is working class. Would rather watch paint dry

Redders said:
He's rubbish Murali.

Check your rep :D

Khanye is good and Blunt r0x0rZ.
*****...i actaully got reps for other people which is quite nice of them. iam not shure who from tho ! :S

blunts other stuff isnt as good, goodbye my lover is ok, but maybe thts just cos of mischa barton, i dont really know..

Kris said:
Ian Brown is a *** who thinks he is working class. Would rather watch paint dry

But, you like Dream Theater :D

James Blunt should win a new award called: The Male Artist Who Sounds Most Like A Female Artist.

I'm surprised Arctic Monkeys aren't up for the band award, since they were getting so much hype from everyone

Nice to see Jack Johnson up for some awards.

Doubt he will win any of them though because he's up against that boyband erm.. The Pussycat Dolls and he's up against Kanye West in the other award he's up for.

I hope Katie Melua wins her category. She deserves it as her new album (Piece by Piece) is brilliant!

Lee said:
Doubt he will win any of them though because he's up against that boyband erm.. The Pussycat Dolls

:haha:

Arctic Monkeys havent got an album out yet so they cant really be considered.

hmm, they do have Beneath The Boardwalk but thats just an EP. They're debut album is coming out soon though :D

NME Awards should be good.

Ian Brown's won the God like genius award and hes performing :D

James blunt is well good i like his Goodbye My Lover and High best. I think he will win an award for something at least. Khanye's alright all I've heard of him is Golddigger though, if thats him. I dont reckon much to Ian Brown either.

Lloyd said:
James blunt is well good i like his Goodbye My Lover and High best. I think he will win an award for something at least.

Are you gay or something?

Thought I might bump this thread for no other working reason than the Brits being due to go ahead on Thursday which for those not farmiliar with the days of the working week, is tomorrow.

Kaiser Chiefs and James Blunt lead the way with the nominations which just shows the Brits for what they are, rubbish. Seriously, both artists were good but when comparing them to the competition they had, they should realistically be a helluva lot further down the pecking order. Gorillaz, Franz Ferdinand and Oasis should well be among the names fighting for multiple gongs. I’m pretty sure that they’re all nominated for something or other but to be behind Sir Blunt and Kaiser Chiefs is… well, is an insult to be honest and on that note, I’d like to protest against the Brits on my lonesome by not watching them. Saying that, I’ll probably have no choice with the **** that’s on telly these days.

On the Arctic Monkeys front, I think they’re up for best breakthrough act, meh, I’d guess that the album wasn’t really released in enough time. Quality band though and they’ve snubbed performing at the Brits. I love ‘em, I really do. :D

A Leeds indie band formed in a bid to secure a bottom of the bill slot at a local festival and a former army captain whose debut single reached number 148 were the big winners at last night's Brit Awards.

Kaiser Chiefs, the five-piece whose quadruple-platinum album Employment spawned four top 10 hits, have quickly graduated to headlining arenas and won a hat-trick of awards, while singer songwriter and former soldier James Blunt won two.

Article continues
Paul Weller, winner of the outstanding contribution to music award, had said he would rather eat his own excrement than perform a duet with Blunt. But that did not stop the five-times nominated balladeer, who shot from obscurity to ubiquity with the biggest selling album of 2005, winning prizes for best British male solo artist and best pop act.

After performing their breakthrough hit I Predict a Riot, the Kaiser Chiefs picked up best British group, best British rock act and best British live act from presenter Chris Evans.

Chris Martin's Coldplay continued their recent run of success by accepting both the best British album award for X&Y, which topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic last year, and best single for Speed of Sound.

The group, whose mix of critical acclaim and polite mainstream appeal makes them the ideal Brits band, became the first act to win the award for three different albums. They previously won Brits for Parachutes in 2001 and Rush of Blood to the Head in 2003.

Another first time winner, KT Tunstall, triumphed over one of her heroes in the best British female category. The Scottish singer, pegged as one of the leading lights of a new breed of folk rock artists by music critics, beat Kate Bush to the prize.

Despite the effects of internet piracy, record executives claim the efforts of Blunt, Martin et al have left the domestic music scene healthier than at any point since the Britpop era. Younger fans are being drawn not to pop acts but to a new generation of guitar based bands, including Hard-Fi, Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys, who continued their stellar rise by winning the best British breakthrough act category.

With neat symmetry, many of them have cited Weller's first group The Jam as an inspiration. Last night the still cantankerous singer, who has maintained his popularity through most of his three decades with The Jam, the Style Council and latterly as a solo artist, closed the show with a medley of hits.

Meanwhile, older consumers are refusing to give up the record buying habit, being drawn to artists such as Coldplay, Blunt and Tunstall by the "Radio 2 effect".

Figures released earlier this week showed that UK artists sold a record 62.4 million albums in 2005, almost half of all album sales and their highest share of the market since 1998.

But the resurgence of guitar based acts has left some bemoaning the lack of dance and urban music represented at the awards.

In the best British urban act category Lemar proved he had left his reality TV show roots far behind by beating Kano and Dizzee Rascal to the prize.

American rockers Green Day dominated the international categories, winning both best international group and best international album categories, following their transformation from cartoon punks to stadium filling sloganeers with the George Bush-baiting American Idiot album.

Those successes left a string of established old hands and previous winners disappointed. Oasis, who snubbed the ceremony after only garnering two nominations, won nothing. And despite last week dominating the US Grammy awards U2 were left empty handed, as were Damon Albarn's animated alter-egos Gorillaz.

Madonna, another veteran who enjoyed a critically acclaimed comeback this year, fared better and won the best international solo female award.

One of her contemporaries, Prince, chose the show to launch his bid to do the same. It was his first performance at the ceremony for 20 years and his first appearance at the Brits since 1993 when he turned up with the word slave scrawled on his cheek in protest at his treatment by his record company.

Rapper Kanye West, making a rare British live appearance, won best international male, while country-tinged singer-songwriter Jack Johnson won the international breakthrough award.

Last night's Brits, attended by 4,000 record company executives, artists and their guests, was the last to be staged at London's Earls Court arena. From next year it will move to the refurbished Millennium Dome.

The winners

British male solo artist
James Blunt

British female solo artist
KT Tunstall

British group
Kaiser Chiefs

British album
X&Y, Coldplay

British single
Speed of Sound, Coldplay

British breakthrough act
Arctic Monkeys

British urban act
Lemar

Britsh rock act
Kaiser Chiefs

Live act
Kaiser Chiefs

Pop act
James Blunt

International male solo artist
Kanye West

International female solo artist
Madonna

International group
Green Day

International album
Green Day, American Idiot

International breakthrough act
Jack Johnson

Outstanding contribution to music
Paul Weller
Taken straight from the Guardian.

Can't say I agree with, well, any of it really. Best British group should've gone to Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz or Arctic Monkeys, how Kaiser Chiefs took the gong alongside four others is beyond me.

Best album and single most certainly shouldn't have gone too Coldplay who haven't honestly released anything special since Parachutes. I would've thought that Oasis had the Best British album gong wrapped up alongside the single gong with their The importance of being idol effort.

Best breakthrough act's the only rightful one there but there's most defintley no way i'm going to catch this poor excuse for an awards show come later tonight.

Thoughts?

How on earth did James Blunt win two awards?!

Yeh heard about this last night, not really a surprise IB didnt win seeing as it was a pop awards and hes not a pop artist.

Anyway roll on the NME's where Browns defintly won the Godlike Genius award.

Also how the **** did Artic Monkey wins, surely they didnt have the album out in time, isnt it what happened in 2005?

Douy said:
How on earth did James Blunt win two awards?!
Indeed, I guess this is also shamelessly the time that I admit to owning his album, I can honestly say I’ve only played it once since making the purchase mind which kind of defeats the object of ever buying it. I personally think he’s better than a lot of people give him credit for and yeah, I’d say best Pop act was fine for him to win, from what I know, he was the best in the said category throughout the last year but he didn‘t deserve to win best British Male Solo artist, which in theory would’ve been more well received had it gone to the growingly popular Kanye West.