The Career Of A Small Time Manager With A Big Dream

Bozza

Reaction score
defensa_logo.png

introduction.png

Starting in a lower division and work your way up. One moment I am playing the latest version of Football Manager and the next moment I am the manager of Club Social y Deportivo Defensa y Justicia, a club in the Primera B National of Argentina. The club plays their home matches in a city near Buenos Aires and lies close to Uruguay. Defensa y Justicia is relatively new to the National B competition and with a predicted 16th place, they are definitely not a title contender this season.

The chairman made it clear to me when we first met. I am allowed to buy players but with some restrictions:
  • Only players from Argentina are allowed to join the club. Foreigners who are currently at the club should be replaced as soon as possible.
  • The chairman prefers that I try to loan players instead of buying them to keep the wage budget as low as possible. If I decide to buy a player anyway, he should be a talented youngster.

After the chairman made his point, it was time to meet the squad. A young squad but a talented one. Hopefully I can bring some succes to the club who won my heart because of her name.... Defensa y Justicia!

On a final note, I started to write this story after the friendly matches were over. The transfer window is already closed and I signed and loaned some players. From now on, with the beginning of the competition coming up, it's time to write this story as detailed as possible and update it after every match!

squad.png

Keepers

argentina.gif
Bernardo Leyenda
argentina.gif
Pablo Perafán

Defenders

argentina.gif
Juan Coyant
argentina.gif
Facundo Fernández
argentina.gif
Pablo Frontini
argentina.gif
Marcos Ramírez
argentina.gif
Santiago Villafañe
argentina.gif
Leandro Mánquez
argentina.gif
Ariel Franco

Midfielders

argentina.gif
Fernando Lorefice
paraguay.gif
Robert Franco
argentina.gif
Patricio Pérez
argentina.gif
Pablo Garnier
argentina.gif
Leandro Velázquez
argentina.gif
Pablo Caballero
argentina.gif
Pablo López

Attackers

argentina.gif
Juan Martín
argentina.gif
Franco Caraccio
argentina.gif
Lucas Valdemarín
argentina.gif
Lucas Pratto

transfer_talk.png

news.gif
Racing's Club Pablo Caballero has joined Def. y Justicia on loan until the end of the season.
news.gif
Boca's Lucas Pratto has joined Def. y Justicia on loan until the end of the season.
news.gif
Arsenal de Sarandi's Franco Caraccio has joined Def. y Justicia on loan until the end of the season.
news.gif
Def. y Justicia have signed Juan Coyant on a free transfer.
news.gif
Boca's Santiago Villafañe has joined Def. y Justicia on loan until the end of the season.
news.gif
Def. y Justicia have signed Pablo López from Santiago Wanderers for a free of €35K.
news.gif
Vélez's Leandro Velázquez has joined Def. y Justicia on loan until the end of the season.

friendly_results.png

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 1-0 Defensa y Justicia Reserves
argentina.gif

argentina.gif
Central Córdoba de Rosario 1-2 Defensa y Justicia
argentina.gif

uruguay.gif
Palermo de Rocha 3-3 Defensa y Justicia
argentina.gif

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 3-2 Racing Club
argentina.gif

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 3-2 Juventud de Las Piedras
uruguay.gif

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 0-1 Montevideo Wanderers Fútbol Club
uruguay.gif

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 1-3 Chacarita Juniors
argentina.gif

argentina.gif
Defensa y Justicia 3-0 Club Atlético Peñarol
uruguay.gif

managers_mood.png

smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smileylight.png
smileylight.png

A very happy man at the moment and excited to start the competition. We've played some great friendlies. Not all wins but in most matches, we were the better team. The media expects us to try and avoid relegation but still we managed fine against top league teams like Racing Club, Montevideo Wanderers, Chacarita and Peñarol.

What we are definitely lacking in strength, we make up in teamwork and combination football. The entire squad is pretty equal so using the subs is more like a priviledge than a "have-to". The strategy at home is to play attractive football on our maxed size pitch. Away we will try to use a controlled counter-attacking tactic.

weekly_news.png

Like some people, I am experiencing the so called "memory leak bug" as well. A lot of random crashes appear and this makes it hard to have fun while playing the game. I managed to get through the friendly stage without any in-match crashes but I am a bit scared to take the risk with the competition matches. It wouldn't be fair if I have to play over some of those fixtures due to a sudden crash.... doesn't matter if it's in my advantage or disadvantages, it's just not fair and realistic!

So I decided to post this story now and only play a limited number of matches until Sports Interactives comes up with a fix for this problem. Fingers crossed they will release it soon and that it will be savegame compatible of course! For now, thanks for reading and let me know what you think of this opening post...

Great layout my friend looking forward to this story, the way you do screenshots of your squad is really good

2009-08-09_vs_Olimpo.png

line_up.png

Leyenda (6.9); Villafañe (7.1), A. Franco (6.7), Coyant (7.0), Frontini (7.2); Garnier (7.7), Caballero (7.1), López (7.4), Lorefice (7.2); Monesterolo (6.5), Valdemarín (7.6)

Subs: Pratto (6.8), Velázquez, Perafán, Pérez, Fernández;

match_overview.png

goal.png
12' 1-0 Pablo Garnier
goal.png
45' 1-1 Marcelo Mosset
goal.png
76' 2-1 Lucas Valdemarín
68' Sebastián Monesterolo
suboff.png
subon.png
Lucas Pratto
86' Pablo Caballero
suboff.png
subon.png
Patricio Pérez
yellowcard.png
Fernando Lorefice
motm.png
Marcelo Mosset (Olimpo)

league_table.png

20090810_league_table.png

managers_mood.png

smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smileylight.png
smileylight.png

After a difficult but succesful friendly campaign and a win in the first competitive match, I am extremely confident. It wasn't an easy first match against Olimpo, who were in the Primera Division two seasons ago. My coaches already came reporting to me that we lacked physical and fitness against Olimpo so my tactic had to be based on a controlling, attacking play. From the start of the match, we dominated the game. Players kept it wide and the strikers were running in every opening they could find. After two minutes we already scored but it was disallowed due to offisde. A very doubtful decision since in my opinion, the striker was onside. This didn't take us down but in the contrary, it gave us motivation to find more openings and look for a quick goal. It took only 12 minutes before Garnier placed the ball behind the goalie. We stayed on top of our game and it was in the 45th minute when Olimpo got their first real chance. Unfortunately for us, it resulted directly in the equalizer.

In the second half, we gave it our all to get those first three point and begin at the top of the competition instead somewhere in the middle. In the 76th minute, Valdemarín ran in the open space and found himself in a one on one with the goalkeeper. A situation which he loves and it was no problem.... 2-1! In the final minutes, we made it hard on ourselves to give away possession and get nervous. It gave Olimpo only a couple of small opportunities. We had done it, our first victory in the competition!

The match stats showed us that we had 17-8 shots and 6 clear cut chances. Olimpo made 3 shots, all on target and 2 clear cut chances. A deserved winner and they only thing I can blame the guys is the lack of goals when you look at the created chances.

Next stop is an away match again San Martín de San Juan and after all the those friendly home matches, it will be our first real test away from home.

weekly_news.png

news.gif
Defensa y Justicia have signed striker Sebastián Monestorolo on a free transfer.

Good result, I wouldn't do entire match reports on one game though, it will be very tedious for you writing reports, try just posting results for the entire month and then do a review, enjoyed the update though

ur layout is class and very detailed, good luck mate!!!

Love this story and the layout is amazing. Good luck...:)

Thanks for the positive comments so far!

Good result, I wouldn't do entire match reports on one game though, it will be very tedious for you writing reports, try just posting results for the entire month and then do a review, enjoyed the update though

I get your point Jack but I take my time with this game anyway. Got two network games running which are running in a quicker pace but no hurries with this one. I watch the matches in "full match" as well so I take so much time with a single match that I wanna post it as a single match as well. Won't matter to me if it takes 50 replies and a couple of months to complete one season hehe.

New update coming soon and my apologies for the grammatical errors. Keep in mind that English isn't my native language. (H)

Good luck with this mate i'll be following all the way!
Your layout is awsome!

Okay dude whatever, the match reports are good but it will will benefit you long term, doing well anyway

****, somebody has a lot of time on their hands. It would take me hours to do a layout like that. Racist chairman by the way. :).

Really good layout man, I'll definitely be following.

2009-08-15_vs_SanMartinSJ.png

line_up.png

Leyenda (7.0); Villafañe (6.7), A. Franco (6.9), Coyant (7.3), Fernández (6.9); Garnier (6.8), Caballero (7.7), López (7.0), Lorefice (7.0); Pratto (6.5), Valdemarín (7.8)

Subs: Monesterolo (8.4), Velázquez, Perafán, Pérez (6.6), Ramírez;

match_overview.png

goal.png
19' 1-0 Luis Tonelotto
goal.png
30' 1-1 Lucas Valdemarín
goal.png
43' 2-1 Leonardo Roda
goal.png
49' 2-2 Sebastián Monesterolo
goal.png
76' 2-3 Sebastián Monesterolo
45' Lucas Pratto
suboff.png
subon.png
Sebastián Monesterolo
72' Pablo López
suboff.png
subon.png
Patricio Pérez
85' Lucas Valdemarín
suboff.png
subon.png
Marcos Ramírez
motm.png
Sebastián Monesterolo (Defensa y Justicia)

league_table.png

20090817_league_table.png

managers_mood.png

smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smileylight.png

After two wins.... how can I be in a bad mood? They say there is always a big difference between home and away matches, especially in a country like Argentina, where supporters can be pretty "supportive" or just overprotective. This weekend it was our first away match against San Martin de San Juan, a 14 hour drive from the beautiful Buenos Aires region. I started the match with two changes compared to the match against Olimpo. Defender central Pablo Frontini was injured and replaced by Facunda Fernández. Striker Sebastián Monesterolo, who started against Olimpo after playing well mostly as a substitute in the friendly campaign, failed to impress me as a first team player and started on the bench. Lucas Pratto, the loaned striker from Boca, took his place.

My tactic was based on an attacking flat 4-4-2 formation. I wanted the full backs to move up in ball possession to create a man-more-situation. The central midfield consisted of the defensive midfielder Lorefice and the attacking midfielder López. I wanted to have the same gameplan up front. Pratto should come deep and get the ball while Valdemarín uses his speed to break through their defense.

We began the match pretty decent. We were putting pressure and we were actually controlling the game. San Martin tried to play quick counter football and were always looking for that through ball. In the 19th minute they succeeded and came one on one with my goalie. Tonelotto, a real killer in front of the goal, remained calm and gave San Martin the lead. After that, I had trouble finding the soft spot of San Martin. We still were the better side but it was all good until the final pass. A lot of time it was offside or it lacked a bit creativity. However, out of nowhere, it was Valdemarín who was on the right place when Caballero crossed the ball into the box and suddenly, it was all equal again.

It looked like San Martin's morale went down and we kept the ball in the team, looking for the lead. It was San Martin however who used that to her advantage and two minutes before the half time whistle it was the other striker, Leonardo Rosa, who made it 2-1. It was really annoying to see San Martin score two goals out of thin air while we were struggling to create a clear cut chance. During half time, I gave Monesterolo another chance by replacing Lucas Pratto and Pablo López went to play on the attacking midfielder position. I wanted to use that space to get an extra man up front and hope to see some killer balls. There was enough speed now with Valdemarín and Monesterolo.

The second half started exactly how I imagined it. They couldn't control López and it was just waiting for a successful pass through their defense. Just four minutes into the second half it was Valdemarín who broke through and even though Valdemarín saw his shot being stopped by the goalie, it was Monesterolo who turned the rebound in a goal for Defensa. It was the equalizer but since we had total control over San Martin, we wanted more. In the 72th minute, Pablo López was replaced by Patricio Pérez, the same type of player so no changes were necessary. We needed to make that third goal, no matter what! Only four minutes after the substitute, Caballero gave a fantastic killer ball to Monesterolo and he proved to be a quality signing for Defensa with his second goal of the match and the 2-3 lead for the club from Buenos Aires. The last fifteen minutes of the match we decided to lock down our defense and San Martin couldn't break through it. A solid win against a pretty strong opponent.

Looking forward to next match, we need to work hard on the physical aspect of the game. We are really struggling winning headers and other important battles. Especially corners against is a nightmare and it could cost us a lot of goals this season. We need to play against Quilmes, one of the favorites to promote, in only four days. We really have to be on top of our game to beat this team. Keep an eye on this story to find out how this fight is going to end!

weekly_news.png

news.gif
(Res) Def. y Justicia Reserves 4 - 0 San Martín (SJ) Reserves. Franco Caraccio was the team's top performer. The striker set up a goal and got on the score-sheet two times to cap a majestic performance.

2009-08-19_vs_Quilmes.png

line_up.png

Leyenda (7.8); Villafañe (6.4), A. Franco (7.2), Coyant (7.6), Fernández (6.1); Garnier (7.0), Caballero (7.0), López (8.1), Lorefice (7.6); Pratto (6.7), Valdemarín (7.4)

Subs: Monesterolo (7.2), Velázquez (6.8), Perafán, Pérez, Ramírez;

match_overview.png

goal.png
02' 1-0 Lucas Valdemarín
goal.png
32' 2-0 Pablo López
goal.png
55' 2-1 Facunda Sava (pen.)
goal.png
72' 3-1 Sebastián Monesterolo
45' Lucas Pratto
suboff.png
subon.png
Sebastián Monesterolo
73' Pablo Caballero
suboff.png
subon.png
Leandro Valézquez
80' Pablo López
suboff.png
subon.png
Patricio Pérez
motm.png
Pablo López (Defensa y Justicia)

league_table.png

20090820_league_table.png

managers_mood.png

smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smileylight.png

Nine out of three, do I need to say more about my mood? It's just fantastic. I even catch myself singing the club anthem of Defensa at work or when someone asks me something, I automatically respond with "Pablo López". It is all about Defensa y Justicia, 24/7. With nine points in the pocket and alone at the top of the league, I wonder how far we can go or if this is just a lucky start and things will settle the way they should be really soon...

Pre-Match

Like I said in my previous post, after playing against two clubs who are supposed to finish somewhere near me, it was now time to play Quilmes, a title challenger. Their start was impressive as well. Both matches were won 1-0 and they managed to win those both without creating a clear cut chance. It has to be said that the opponent didn't as well. So they apparently try to win their matches without getting too tired. We on the other hand try to play attractive football and intend to play the ball forward whenever possible. The same was for this match. In the previous match, I played with an AMC and DMC for a while. It worked so well that I decided to start the match with the 4-4-2 diamond formation. There were no changes compared to the last match again San Martin de San Juan. Monesterolo started on the bench again, hoping for another supersub role. Pratto's first team place was flagged and I kept on his performance today. It is fantastic to have such a quality striker like Monesterolo on the bench but if Pratto doesn't perform it is useless to keep playing him from the start every time.

According to the press we faced a difficult challenge against Quilmes. These were the odds:

Def. y Justicia: 7-2
Draw: 9-4
Quilmes: 4-6 (Fav)

The Match

Still watching on full match. It gives me the opportunity to see what works and what definitely doesn't. The touchline instructions are more effective if you use the full match mode anyway. And I love those touchline instructions... :D

After the match kicked off, I looked at how the opponent played, like I always do. Do they play wide or narrow? Are the striker roaming or pretty static? Do they try to find a solution to keep possession or will they try it on the counter attack? All important questions to be answered if you want to find the weaknesses of an opponent who is better on paper. Before I was able to answer all these questions, Lucas Valdemarín decided to show it to me by scoring the 1-0 after only playing for two minutes. He received the ball from Pablo López just outside the box. By going past three opponents and finishing the ball in the far corner, he showed me something I didn't even knew he could. A fantastic dribble from our 31-year old striker and it gave us an important lead. Defending for the remaining 88 minutes is asking for trouble so we went on controlling the match and try to create more chances. We went to play a more narrow game and try to look for space through the middle. In the 32nd minute, Caballero received the ball in the middle of the pitch and found Valdemir who ran into the space at the left side of the pitch where Caballero was normally positioned. Valdemarin's cross was headed away by a defender of Quilmes but picked up by our DM, Lorefice. With a quick and beautiful killer ball, he found Pablo López totally unmarked in the box. López kept his head cool and with an one-on-one with the goalie, he made it 2-1 and it seems like the match was pretty over. Quilmes showed they lacked creativity at midfield and it seemed like Defensa simply wanted it more.

It was obvious that in half-time, Sebastián Monesterolo went on the pitch and it was for Lucas Pratto again. Pratto's potential is huge but we currently play in the present and for now, he can't show his qualities to the team.

The second half was a bit boring until our right full back Villafañe tried to go for the most stupid tackle of the season award. At the touchline, inside our own box, he made a tackle from behind and it gave Quilmes a penalty out of nowhere. They didn't even know who was defending the goal of Defensa until now. Striker Facundo Sava didn't waste this unexpected opportunity and made it a match again. So it was 2-1 and still 35 minutes to go. I told the players to win more battles and show Quilmes that the three points stay here. It was waiting for Monesterolo to score his goal as well and this didn't take too long. In the 72th minute, the goalie of Quilmes made a major mistake and Monesterolo punished him by scoring the 3-1 and this time, it was really the end of Quilmes. It was the full time result and another thee points for the boys in green and yellow.

There were 3.611 football fanatics watching this game in the stadium. There is room for 8.000 so our job is to prove to the supporters that it is worth visiting a match of Defensa y Jusiticia!

Conclusion

One of the things we have to work on is finishing our chances. With five clear cut chances and some long shot opportunities, we created more than enough but also give some away. We need to finish the chances we get. If we do this, we can give something away as well.

Only downside to this match is that Pablo Caballero twisted his knee and will be out for three weeks. A real bummer because he already gave three assists in the same number of matches. Let's hope Leandro Velázquez can do his job just as well.

Next Opponent

Next up is Comisión de Actividades Infantiles (Commission of Infantile Activities), the number four of the league. They won two matches and drew one so far. This is going to be a really tough away fixture and we have to work hard in order to stay at the top of the league. The winning streak is fantastic but we need to be realistic and look at one match at a time. We don't know what one loss will do to the team.

In the meantime, if you decide to comment, why don't share your thought on the upcoming match? Anything I could try out or perhaps you want to predict the result? Or maybe you are missing some match information and would like to see it in the next match post. It's all appreciated...

Great layout and great results, cant fault this. Keep it up.

Taking the league apart after three games, keep up that form, are you one league from Argentine top league?

2009-08-22_vs_Chubut.png

line_up.png

Leyenda (7.8); Villafañe (8.2), A. Franco (7.3), Coyant (7.3), Fernández (8.1); Garnier (7.4), Velázquez (7.9), López (8.0), Lorefice (7.3); Caraccio (9.2), Valdemarín (9.2)

Subs: Monesterolo (6.8), R. Franco (6.6), Perafán, Pérez (7.2), Ramírez;

match_overview.png

goal.png
04' 0-1 Lucas Valdemarín
goal.png
21' 0-2 Lucas Valdemarín (pen.)
goal.png
26' 0-3 Pablo López
goal.png
30' 0-4 Lucas Valdemarín
goal.png
46' 0-5 Franco Caraccio
goal.png
55' 0-6 Franco Caraccio
goal.png
90+1' 0-7 Facundo Fernández
45' Lucas Pratto
suboff.png
subon.png
Sebastián Monesterolo
45' Pablo Garnier
suboff.png
subon.png
Patricio Pérez
74' Pablo López
suboff.png
subon.png
Robert Franco
yellowcard.png
Juan Coyant
motm.png
Lucas Valdemarín (Defensa y Justicia)

league_table.png

20090824_league_table.png

managers_mood.png

smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png
smiley.png

Life can be really great from time to time. Especially if you manage to win 7-0 against the number four of the competition. It is the biggest win I've experienced in years and I still can't believe it when I look at my results. Where did it go wrong for C.A.I. de Chubut or were my boys just perfect in every single way?

Pre-Match

The average morale of the squad was near perfect before we played this match. After three wins, we were confident about our own strength and wanted to win more and more. The fixture of this weekend was an away match against the number four C.A.I. de Chubut. A though opponent on paper with only conceding one goal in three matches. I decided to change my tactic just a bit, hopefully in my advantage of course.

The forced change I needed to make concerned Caballero. The left winger has been in a great form but injured himself in the previous match unfortunately. He was replaced by Leandro Velázquez, another youngster in the squad of Defensa y Justicia. Up front there was a change as well. Lucas Pratto ran out of luck and didn't even make it on the bench but was moved to the reserves instead. Not Monesterolo but Franco Caraccio was his replacement. Caraccio already scored four times in the reserves and earned a first team for this match. Caraccio is a fast striker with a good dribble and a real team player. If Chubut decided to play on the attack, I needed pacey strikers to use the space behind the defenders to our advantage. With Frontini still being injured, Fernández formed the heart of the defense again with Coyant.

According to the press, C.A.I. de Chubut were slight favorites to win this match. These were the odds:

C.A.I. de Chubut: Evens (Fav)
Draw: 11-5
Def. y Justicia: 11-5

The Match

We started the match with, yet again, a 4-4-2 diamond formation. In the 4th minute, it was Velázquez who intercepted the ball on midfield, looked for the strikers and found Caraccio. In a triangle combination between Caraccio, Valdemarín and López, the ball was eventually returned to Caraccio in already the first one-on-one with the goalkeeper of Chubut. The finish of Caraccio was initially stopped by the keeper but in the rebound it was Valdemarín who scored a fast opening goal once again. It is not the first time that we scored a rebound. It means we are concentrated and focused up front. A great start to the match and another lead for Defensa y Justicia.

We kept looking for more goals, trying to play through the middle with our playmaker López. Between the 20th and 30th minute, we managed to score three more goals, including a hattrick from Valdemarín. There were some great attacking plays where everyone was participating and lots of creativity was shown by the players. A 0-4 lead meant the match was played and Defensa was going to stay at the top of the league.

After the half time break, Valdemarín stayed inside the dressing room and was replaced by Monesterolo. Pablo Garnier, who injured himself a bit in the first half, could take some rest and Patricio Pérez went to play as a right winger. Even though we scored seven goals, Monsterolo didn't score any of those. Pretty remarkable but perhaps it was because Caraccio was in such a good form. In the first ten minutes of the first half, Caraccio scored two goals and already gave two assists. A fantastic debut for the young striker and he showed to me that he should be in the first team more regular. After the 0-6, we decided to take a break and to save some energy. So there were six goals in 55 minutes. In the injury time, the last goal was scored by Fernández in the dying seconds of the match.

Conclusion

A total walkover against a pretty strong opponent. Everything worked and the players were focused to the bone. It was like they needed to prove something to the fans and the club. A very strong performance by a very young team. Perhaps because of the age there is a lot of enthusiasm and creativity in the team. How will it work out on the long run? Will their age be a disadvantage eventually?

We managed to create seven clear cut chances against one for Chubut. We hit the woodwork twice as well. I commented on the last match that the players needed to finish their 100% chances and this time they did. Nothing negative to comment about these guys and let us hope that will stay concentrated, motivated and play like this every match!

Next Opponent

Next up is Tiro Federal. They will visit us in Buenos Aires. Tiro Federal is currently the number seven of the competition but after last match I don't trust the league table anymore. Every match is one of its own but our morale is really high at the moment and we have a good and balanced squad. I am more than confident that we can beat this opponent if we play to the maximum of our potential.

im not sure if youve been told you but kris said to me not to post scores match by match and instead do them monthly if thats okay with you

To be fair he isn't posting loads of posts on top of it so I think the current layout of this is perfect. But thats just my opinion.

true but imgine how many posts it will bge by the end of the season