The Career Of Steven Gerrard - Out Of The Cauldron And Into the Fire

Reaction score
THE CAREER OF STEVEN GERRARD - OUT OF THE CAULDRON AND INTO THE FIRE

Hello everyone and welcome to my Career Thread with Steven Gerrard who as we all know was appointed as the new manager of Glasgow Rangers last month.A great player in his day and at the age of 38 certainly would not look out of place in a playing capacity in the SPFL.But his job here in this FM18 career is to totally rebuild the sqaud,and get some fighting spirit back at Ibrox again!!

Im using the transfer DB from over at sortitoutsi so players will be at there respective teams as per real life.

Can he do it? Lets crack on with it...

View attachment 50309

I'll be doing regular updates with this so i hope you all enjoy it as much as i will writing and playing the save..

Last edited:
FIRST TEAM SQUAD

So the first thing that needs done is deciding who has a future here and who doesnt,there are some good players in the squad and the team does need a rebuilding job done,especially in defence and attack.Time to possibly look at targets to bolster the ranks,will be actively using the DOF to try and move players on who do not have a future at the club.

View attachment 50299

View attachment 50298

Meanwhile Gerrard has been spotted out and about already looking at potential signing targets

View attachment 50295

Miller Returns To Ibrox

View attachment 50290

Kenny Miller has been resigned again after his acromonious spat with Graeme Murty at the end of last season.The 38 year old striker still has been given a 1 year deal.In a statement from Gerrard earlier he said "Kenny can still do a job short term for us and im delighted to have him back in the squad,he brings a great deal of talent still to the table and will be valuable to the younger lads as well"

View attachment 50289

LATEST TRANSFER NEWS

View attachment 50288

IN - Kenny Miller on a free contract for a 1 year deal.

View attachment 50287

OUT - Jak Alnwick to Bristol City for £325,000.

View attachment 50286

OUT - Jamie Barjonas to Premiership new boys Livingston on a 7 month loan deal.

View attachment 50285

IN - Nedum Onuoha on a free transfer after his release from QPR.Very experienced Centre Half who will alongside Alves in the heart of defence,still solid looking at the age of 31.

View attachment 50182

IN - James Wilson on a season long loan from Man Utd,not in Mourinho's plans at the moment it seems and will be good cover for Morelos for the lone striker role

View attachment 50060

IN - Carl Jenkinson on a season loan from Arsenal with an option to buy for 2.7M at any point,will challenge Tavernier for the RB slot looks a decent player.

View attachment 50056

IN - James Collins on a two year deal after his release from west ham,will provide decent competition in defence for Alves and Onuoha

View attachment 49515

Last edited:
UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE

View attachment 50282

View attachment 50281

The draw sees us drawn against San Marinoese side Folgore in what should be a relatively easy tie,But who remembers Progres Niederkorn from last season in the awful Caixinha reign,nothing for granted will be taken here.

Vaduz of Liechenstein or Red Imps from Gibraltar await the winners of this tie.

View attachment 50057

A convincing 6-2 aggregate win sees us drawn against Portugese side Maritimo which will be a tricky tie in the 3rd Qualifying Round.Not a bad draw considering Milan,everton and Marseille were in there as well.

View attachment 50052

So after a 5-2 pasting in the 1st leg we had it all to do back at Ibrox and we certainly came out the traps flying,we knew that we needed three clear goals to progress after the thrashing in the previous tie,Declan John getting sent off in that game didnt help either,but the players knew what was expected and they delivered,Morelos and Wilson both getting a brace along with Onouha and Dorrans.Dirty tackles near the end of the match saw Wilson and Tavernier both injured and are now out for 4 weeks both players,the game finishing 6-1.So we progress onto the play-off stages.

View attachment 50051

The draw sees us pit against Bundesliga side Freiburg for a place in the group stages,this will be a very tough match indeed but we are confident that we can go through and reach the lucrative group stage of the competition.

Last edited:
Where did you find the updated leagues database?

TACTIC

View attachment 50183

I have decided that this will the main tactic used for the season an attack minded 4-1-2-2-1.Im hoping that it can lead to success in games with my DLP pinging passes around,probably look to get somebody in for Rossiter but will do for now.With Murphy comig in from the left and Candeias crossing in from the right for Morelos up top.

In the Midfield im looking at a mezzala being used due to the space on the right,and on the laeft hand side of midfield is just a general all round midfield player.

In harder games i may drop this back to a counter attacking setup depending on the level of opponent.

Last edited:
Gerrard's Managerial Debut

View attachment 50180

View attachment 50181

Well what a start against the minnows from San Marino as 8 goals were smashed by a bewildered defence 6-0 up at half time.The 2nd leg is nothing now more than a training exercise it seems

View attachment 50179

So we go through to the 2nd Qualifying round against Vaduz,im expecting nothing less than progression here to the 3rd Qualifying Round after smashing Folgore 15-0 on aggregate.

Last edited:
team is out of date now that Ejaria has signed lol. And with Goldman on his way (possibly Solanke) does that mean you need to start again?

team is out of date now that Ejaria has signed lol. And with Goldman on his way (possibly Solanke) does that mean you need to start again?

I was actually thinking that myself but no i wont be starting again,may look at Ejaria.Dont think i'll look at Goldman though as ive just got Onuaha in on a free transfer,Solanke yes could be another option.

BETFRED CUP

View attachment 50055

View attachment 50054

The 2nd round draw sees us away to league one side Raith Rovers,Will be expected to progress here.

View attachment 49514

And indeed we did with a resounding 4-0 victory with some of the fringe players getting a game,a double from Miller along with Herrera and Candeias sending us into the quarter finals.Collins made his debut in this match.

View attachment 49513

Should be a cracking match at Pittodrie in the quarter final.

Last edited:
SEASON OPENER

View attachment 49516

RANGERS 2-1 ST JOHNSTONE

A good start to the season as we came behind from an early goal to secure the three points.A brace from Graham Dorrans wiining the match.Not the best performance but a win is a win overall.

Last edited:

RANGERS CRASH OUT OF EUROPA LEAGUE

View attachment 49325
View attachment 49326

After a 2-2 draw over in Germany against the Bundesliga side it was back to Ibrox where the match went to extra time after finishing 2-2 over 90minutes,quite incredibly Jamie Murphy missing TWO penalties in the match that ultimately cost us the tie.Two late goals in extra time finished us off after we pressed a bit too much for the winner,and ultimately we were so unlucky to go out of the competition at the play off stages.
Now back onto the domestic campaign trail and we can take some positives form the European exit and kick on in the league.

Last edited:
THE STORY SO FAR

View attachment 49158

Overall its not been too bad so far with a very short pre season due to the Europa League Qualifying rounds ending in failure against Freiburg.Breezed past Raith Rovers in the League Cup.
A decent start as well in the league campaign with wins over St Johnstone and Dundee,as well as grabbing a last minute equaliser in the old firm derby at Ibrox.

View attachment 49157

So we have been making some remarkable progress in the league and find ourselves 7pts clear of great rivals Celtic,who lately have been dropping points all over the place which can only be a help to us.Some good wins over Hibs,Hearts and St Mirren have really helped us motor clear but we have had to dig in to get the points.

View attachment 48615

The squad as a whole are playing really well,especially Morelos who has grabbed 19 goals this season over all competitions,Jamie Murphy closely behind him with 12 goals as well,playing cracking on the laft hand side.

View attachment 48614