Raikan007

Reaction score
This seems to be quite a popular question with a lot of the new members of the forum's.

The answer is simple:

1) Either select less of the players that you can live without in order to choose the most important players (i.e. leaving +2 or +3 spaces left open)

2) the best and easiest way to fix this little problem is just to go on a 1 day holiday and let your Assistant Manager sort it out for you

if there are any other ways, please PM me so that I can make the appropriate changes...

A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).
Quote by Lee

‘Home-grown players’ are defined by UEFA as players who, regardless of their nationality or age, have been trained by their club or by another club in the national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. The UEFA rule does not contain any nationality conditions. It also applies in the same way to all players and all clubs participating in competitions organised by UEFA.
Researched by LordMalice

"A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21). For the purposes of this rule, the season is deemed to run from the date the first transfer window closes until the final match of the campaign. In keeping with UEFA guidelines, an Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989
Researched by LordMalice

The player must have trained at your club for at least three years between the ages of 15-21. The three year requirement can be met even of the player is sold and then bought again, so even a disjointed three years will do provided the same is when the player is between 15-21 years of age.
Quoted by LordMalice

(thread will be updated some more on Monday)

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread, but what I wanted to know was the loaned players' 'trained at club' status. I think it will be useful to add the information here:

"I would like to know if a young player I loan to other clubs will still be counted as trained at club? It seems to me logical that he should, otherwise why would I loan anyone who is good enough to make my future first team
wink.gif

Also, would his time at the club to which he is loaned count towards his "trained at club" status for that club? My instinct says yes, but it still a bit confusing."

The answer to both these questions is yes, courtesy winfield and daniel_kg.

Let's say that I buy a Spanish player to Premier League and he is over 21 age, is there any way for him to become home-grown?

No, but he can obtain British Citezinship and be legible for England if he has not played an International game for his home Country! (he is allowed to play at U19/U21 levels only I think, as soon as he gets a senior Cap, he will immediately be illegible) its like Kevin Peterson (he is South African, he left here to go to the UK as he was not getting much of an eye in from Scouts and National team selectors)
eg: Arteta, Almunia

If he gets english citizenship is he counted as HG when registering for EPL?

In EPL you need "8 players trained in England" does it count players of English nationality?

"I would like to know if a young player I loan to other clubs will still be counted as trained at club? It seems to me logical that he should, otherwise why would I loan anyone who is good enough to make my future first team
wink.gif

Also, would his time at the club to which he is loaned count towards his "trained at club" status for that club? My instinct says yes, but it still a bit confusing."

I've found that players that you loan to other clubs will continue to be classed as trained at your club. But if the player is foreign and you loan them to a foreign club they won't gain any more days lived in the country for obvious reasons. I had a 20 year old Eastern European in my Las Palmas team who was Trained at the Club but had spent less than a 100 days in Spain because he was constantly loaned out.

*edit* Not the player I originally mentioned but here's another guy who proves it: Marko Borovic - 2 - 3

Not sure about the second point, but to me it would probably be a No as you don't own that player. Anyone can clarify this?

Last edited:
I've found that players that you loan to other clubs will continue to be classed as trained at your club. But if the player is foreign and you loan them to a foreign club they won't gain any more days lived in the country for obvious reasons. I had a 20 year old Eastern European in my Las Palmas team who was Trained at the Club but had spent less than a 100 days in Spain because he was constantly loaned out.

*edit* Not the player I originally mentioned but here's another guy who proves it: Marko Borovic - 2 - 3

Not sure about the second point, but to me it would probably be a No as you don't own that player. Anyone can clarify this?

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I found one link which seems to confirm that the loaned player will gain 'trained at club' credit for the parent club and the club which has him on loan. Here's the link:

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/forum/topic/41734-home-grown-players/

When you loan him out the home grown status applies to both the loaning club and the club who gets him. So if you were Madrid and you loaned a 17 year old to Xerez then the player would have one year added to his home grown status for both Madrid and Xerez

In EPL you need "8 players trained in England" does it count players of English nationality?

No, I had Chris Smalling in my Man Utd save and he is not even considered as a player trained in England even when he is England's first choice centreback.

Er.... no. It does not matter whether you are English or not, all that matters is that you have been trained somewhere in the UK & Ireland region for three years between 15-21 years of age. So a spaniard who has been trained at any English Club for 3 years before he turned 21 would be considered Home Grown for EPL. But a n Englishman who has trained, lets say, in France or somewhere, and has not been trained at any English Club for at least three years before he turned 21 wont count as HG despite the fact that he is English.

In short, the nationality of the player really does not matter. All that matters is whether he trained at ANY CLUB in the UK & Ireland for AT LEAST THREE YEARS before he turned 21.

can someone clarify whether it is only clubs in the english league setup or whether it is all english and welsh clubs please as i'm wondering whether it would count players who trained at a welsh club in the welsh leagues like TNS or only welsh clubs in the english leagues like Cardiff.

Thanks mate but I don't know if that's the rule on fm 2010 though :( but thanks mate. Helpful as usual!

Thanks mate but I don't know if that's the rule on fm 2010 though :( but thanks mate. Helpful as usual!

the rule in FM 2010 is exactly that. As in it reflects the exact rule in real life. right down to some of the more complicated clauses.

If you don't already know all of this already then surely you're not much of a football fan, considering that it's been talked about so much recently with the implementation of the new rules.

However, really good, dedicated work from the original poster.