The Complete How to train/tutor my youngster's Thread

How long have both players been at the club? If one (or both) of them has only just joined, then you will have to wait until he has settled in before he can tutor/be tutored.

Not really, no, I tutor my kids as soon as I buy them, and I also get tutors to tutor them right away.

Maybe his squad status is First Team or Key Player, or higher than the tutor?

There's no way his squad status is higher than the tutor.

How long have both players been at the club? If one (or both) of them has only just joined, then you will have to wait until he has settled in before he can tutor/be tutored.
I noticed that, but even in second season, there's still no option to tutor. Is this just random or what?

Not really, no, I tutor my kids as soon as I buy them, and I also get tutors to tutor them right away.
It probably depends on their hidden adaptability attribute.

I noticed that, but even in second season, there's still no option to tutor. Is this just random or what?
I'm not sure... I have never really had that problem TBH. :S

me neither really :) which two players are you trying mate? do they play the same position as Accomplished at least?

So it seems that giving your youngsters some first team games is important, so I will keep a couple on my bench and give them 20 mins here and there perhaps and league cup games etc. But does any first team game count? What I mean specifically is friendlies. Could you arrange friendly games during the season (perhaps during international breaks or spare mid week slots) and play your kids against a lower team, would that give improvements? Or are only competitive games useful?

its mostly only in competitve matches that 1st team experience is really gained... however, I do what you say above quite often (alot of the times to get Morale back up after a loss or something) and to get my players fit when recovering from an injury :)

I am also managing Liverpool and Robinson is just a little *****, he doesn't want to be tutored by anyone, except for I found.... Mr Useless Konchesky. Make of that what you will. Suso wouldn't be tutored by Gerrard, Cole or Meireles. So now half my senior squad are unhappy becuase I chose the wrong tutee for them. So.....is there any reason why certain players will only accept certain tutors, and is there a way to figure this out before you ask them?
Also I found I could persuade certain youngsters to accept tutoring by begging bascially, but will they get less benefit because they were not as keen to start with?

no they will be fine, I always give them the I know best scenario and most of the time they listen :)

it really just depends on numerous factors like squad status, language proficiency, adpatability, personality...

I asked Coeff to be tutored by Scholes and he refused.. then asked for Fourlanos and he refused then asked Scholes again and he got tired of hearing it...

same happend with Giggs... so it really is quite a lucky packet... but make sure that the youngsters personality is balanced so that you can mould him similarly to the tutee...

you cant have a Model Professional tutoring a Spirited player.. they will clash and it will end badly... I must say that I normally just get them to tutor for the Determination stat... I dont pay TOO much attention to anything else (well used to, now taking more time and doing it 100%)

Thanks, all good advice!!!! On another note there are certain players that I can't talk to about tutoring, mainly Lucas and Saurez, they are still only 23ish, so maybe there is some kind of age factor involved in being able to tutor.

stuff I've noticed (feel free to correct me):

1. max age of tutee is 21, once he turns 22, he can't be tutored anymore. minimum age of tutor is 24. so from 22-23, he can't be tutored. you might want to send him on loan intstead.

2. determined or outspoken players are more difficult to talk to or even convince to be tutored or learn certain ppm. it took me about 10 reload just for Andy Carroll to accept to be tutored by Drogba even if they had the same personalities.

3. from ages 14-17, I train my wonderkids physical stats because this is the time they improve dramatically & work on their weaknesses. from 18-21, I work on their technical skills(depending on their position & role in the team). from 22-23, i send them on loan or put them in the first team(available for reserves).

4. putting a wonderkid in the first team fast tracks their development. I put phil jones straight into my FT & he fulfilled his PA by age 22. even if he made several mistakes led to goal, he learned from it & became a better player.

5. VERY IMPORTANT: if you notice your wonderkids' stats becoming stagnant. talk to him (improve in training). you have to be on his *** if he doesn't show signs of improvement. this will help him achieve his PA! I like to check on players every 15th of the month & see if they have red arrows on their stat sheets, they usually pick up training after I give them a talk, and by the end of the month in the training report, those players don't fail to impress the training coach.

6. I don't really like loaning wonderkids, because you don't get to handle their progress. It's imperative that you keep an eye on their development to reach that PA. I had neymar & paulo henrique with a 4 1/2 star PA, so I put them on the first team straight away. although they did not reach that 4 1/2 PA, they still progressed well to reach 4 stars.

Thank you Raikan & co. These tips helped me as to why Verratti couldn't be tutored and such.

From now on, you're my God.

The tutoring lasts for 180 days, so can the young player be tutored again straight away? And can the same player be tutored by the same senior player twice?

Sorry for the constant questions..!! This one might be frowned upon by the purists because the information can only be really obtained by using FM Scout or RTE, but if you are tutoring, training well, and possibly playing the youngsters often or they are loaned what kind of CA increase per season should you realistically expect? I am bad I know but as this is my first FM game (last time I played was CM03/04) I am trying to learn the mechanics of it all so have been using FM Scout to track the progress of my youngsters. In the first 2 months most have gone up by 2-3 CA. The odd thing is I thought CA increase went hand in hand with attribute increases, but this has not been the case. In fact only Silva has had any stat increases but his CA hasn't changed much, odd.

Sometimes i have to persuade the tutee i.e he says 'no offence' but then changes his mind with my response. Does this change the effectivness compared to if he says yes straight away? If its anyhelp one of the players in question is John flano at LFC, hes being tutored by Darijo Srna

The tutoring lasts for 180 days, so can the young player be tutored again straight away? And can the same player be tutored by the same senior player twice?

Quoting myself, wierd. Raikan you said this is possible but now my tutoring has finished for the first half of the season when I go to private chat with my players again the tutoring option is greyed out for any player who has already been a tutor. Bug? Or does it take time to "reset"?

---------- Post added 24/04/2011 at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was 22/04/2011 at 11:21 PM ----------

Quoting myself, wierd. Raikan you said this is possible but now my tutoring has finished for the first half of the season when I go to private chat with my players again the tutoring option is greyed out for any player who has already been a tutor. Bug? Or does it take time to "reset"?

OK, it seems it takes a couple of weeks before the tutoring option becomes available again.....

Just an annoying thing I have noticed (in my game at least, not sure if this applies generally), if your senior player is training in a PPM they cannot tutor until they finish learning the PPM. If you start them tutoring first though you can still train a PPM later, so it appears you need to be careful in the order you set things up......