I always find loads of good regens in Turkey, in a club called Bursaspor.

You will see them in Champions League because they won the Turkish league last year!!

Last edited:
I'm not a new FM player, but I'm not "with" the lingo, what excactly is a regen?

I'm not a new FM player, but I'm not "with" the lingo, what excactly is a regen?

A randomly generated player that the game throws out to compensate for retirements etc...so that you dont end up with no players in the game in the end

I thought West Ham were supposed to have a good academy, but their regens tend to be a bit rubbish.

what rating should your 20/20 ability/potential rated scout give a player for you to consider buying him? regens i mean. I bought loads with man city last couple of seasons, mostly 2.5 to 3s. Now slowing down.....have too many of them...
a lot of them are turning out to be rubbish, some are developing pretty decent though.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but is it just my paranoia or is my board taking me for a ride? I put in a board request to upgrade youth facilities and they said they are investing in upgrading them, but its been a while and they are still at the same level. How long does it usually take for youth facilities to be upgraded?

ty

what rating should your 20/20 ability/potential rated scout give a player for you to consider buying him? regens i mean. I bought loads with man city last couple of seasons, mostly 2.5 to 3s. Now slowing down.....have too many of them...
a lot of them are turning out to be rubbish, some are developing pretty decent though.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but is it just my paranoia or is my board taking me for a ride? I put in a board request to upgrade youth facilities and they said they are investing in upgrading them, but its been a while and they are still at the same level. How long does it usually take for youth facilities to be upgraded?

ty
The board will only announce youth and training facilities upgrades after the end of the season. Construction will start right away and will finish in the fall. So if you asked for an upgrade in September, they won't make the official announcement until May or so (although you should know right away if they accept the request) and it won't actually be finished until at least a year after you first asked. The best time to ask is immediately after your last game of the season, since this is when your facilities may have degraded and if you did well in the league or picked up some trophies then the board will be more open to requests. You'll only have to wait a few months for construction to finish.

I usually don't buy unless PA is 3 stars or better. Sometimes I buy 2.5 star potential players. Get scout reports on prospects and pay attention because sometimes they will say someone with 3 star potential can be a "good Premiership/La Liga/etc player" and sometimes it will be "leading player." Sometimes they will also note that a player would be a quality signing and at others only a good signing.

I think that scouts are pretty accurate at judging current ability and potential ability, but when you are looking at 15 and 16 year olds, a regen with 150 PA and 180 PA might both be rated 3 stars. You just need to monitor them, get them some tutoring and decent training schedules with a bit of first team/loan action and assess their progress. If by 18-19 they haven't gotten to the point where they look like they could eventually get into your first eleven then start shopping them around and listening to offers.

I read somewhere, and I'm not 100% sure if this is true but it does make a lot of sense, that your scouts' assessment of current ability and potential ability is only based off of CA/PA points. What does this mean? Imagine you have two GK. One is 3.5* CA, either-footed, very strong with both left and right, with great physical stats but mediocre mental and goalkeeping stats. The other is 3* CA, right-foot only with middling physical stats but good mental and GK stats. Foot strength and physicals take up a lot of CA points and are not very useful to GKs (with the exception of agility and jumping). Since the scout report is just based on CA points and not actually how well they will play, the 3* GK will outperform the 3.5* in this scenario every time.

This needs to be taken into account when looking at players to sign. The first thing you should do, even before going to the full scout report, is check their attribute graph. Once you figure out what the graphs should end up looking like for world-class players it is easy to see at one glance whether a regen is going to be worth your time or not. If you see a regen with a good graph for a youngster and the scout report says he is at a low level of CA, e.g. less than 1 gold star, with at least 2.5* PA, then that means he has a lot of room to keep improving on his already good attributes and could be a future star. But if there's a regen with a poor graph, even if your scout says he has 4* PA, forget about him because he will never get to his potential (or possibly will but will have skewed attributes that inhibit him from playing his position well).

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Have a look at this pricelessly helpful list mate. Tells you all the regen dates

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/regen-dates-t27216.html
One thing to note is, regens are actually created in Argentina on 1 July not 1 August, at least in my game.

This doesn't just apply to regens, but say I see a great prospect who is 15 and is Brazillian. Does this mean in the time between when I agree to sign and he actually signs, that he might not get the training/playing time he needs and may not reach his full potential? Also, is there a certain age where a player will stop getting better, or does it depend on each player?

This doesn't just apply to regens, but say I see a great prospect who is 15 and is Brazillian. Does this mean in the time between when I agree to sign and he actually signs, that he might not get the training/playing time he needs and may not reach his full potential? Also, is there a certain age where a player will stop getting better, or does it depend on each player?
a very good question! these young players may not get the playing time to develop properly within those 3 years as well as the clubs in Brazil not having the best of training facilities nor coaches nor youth academies (well some do and some dont)

now when the player arrives he may not have played more than 6 games in the 3 years (check his history) now this said player has lost 3 good years of development compared to being brought into your team at the age of 15 and being exposed to all the great players to tutor etc etc...

(i am not clued up on the CA and PA stuff as it ruins it for me) but i can assume that if the player does not play sufficient games his PA will drop or the said player would never reach the PA as he wont have sufficient time to (if he had played 60% of the games he might etc etc) as i said, not sure about that!

now, the Wonderkid revival question, can you pick up say Rafael or Fabio at age 22 and develop them into the World class fullbacks they have been set to (PA 180 or whatever)
the answer is yes, i have bought Rafael from Man Utd in the 4th season for 4.1 million! his stats are not stopping on rising, when he joined the coaches rated him 2 stars, now some are 3½ stars ;) but im sure after the age of 24 if the players have not played sufficient games, they cannot reach their potential (well as mentioned earlier, maybe they can, but it would have dropped some 20 points or so)

i hope this answers some questions?

Physical and technical stats will plateau around 24 years old although they can redistribute a bit after that (e.g. defender loses a couple of points in technique and gains points in marking or positioning). Mental stats will continue to rise as they get older.

There is a lot of research out there trying to figure out what affects the rate of player development. Although there is nothing absolutely conclusive, the main factors from the player itself look to be determination and the hidden attributes of ambition and professionalism. Those can all be increased (or decreased) through tutoring.

The most important thing to develop is first team football. The more games, and the higher the level the games are played at, the faster a player will gain attributes. All games are not created equal. There are actually values set up in the game that define how prestigious a league is and what the level of competition is. Obviously, the higher these are, the more beneficial it is for the player. Champions League is the highest and after that are the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Europa League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, and then the rest. I forget the exact ratings but you get the idea. So for example, getting 20 Premiership and 5 Champions League games may actually help a player more than playing in 25 Belgian league and 8 domestic cup games. Keep this in mind when sending players out on loan and deciding which offers to accept, because it's much more important than the club's level of training facilities and coaches.

If you have someone with high determination, professionalism, and ambition, and start playing them regularly at the top levels when they are 20-21, they will probably still get to their potential. But an unambitious, unprofessional player going on loan to a much lower league every year from the time he is 16 might never reach it.

View attachment 98760
Jip Steur has potential ability of 199 which got me wondering has anyone ever found a player with the maximum 200 potential ability?Surely this is as good as it gets when u consider messi has pa of 196
View attachment 98761
View attachment 98762

Ignacio has PA of 191 and CA of 145,this is where i need some help.You can see from the screenie below that when he played for Deportivo La Caruna his average rating was 7.80 or thereabouts but for me his average is a paltry 6.80 or thereabouts.Is this because the spanish league is not an active league in the game therefor alot easier to get high avgs or have i got his sliders all wrong?I play him in his natural position of dmc,any advice on how to play him wud be much appreciated

Last edited:
I've recently bought a player with 197 PA, but that's the closest i've seen.

I once had a game where I'd bought a Spanish player for about £3 million and when I had a look on genie scout, his PA was 200. So you can definately get 200 PA's

The board will only announce youth and training facilities upgrades after the end of the season. Construction will start right away and will finish in the fall. So if you asked for an upgrade in September, they won't make the official announcement until May or so (although you should know right away if they accept the request) and it won't actually be finished until at least a year after you first asked. The best time to ask is immediately after your last game of the season, since this is when your facilities may have degraded and if you did well in the league or picked up some trophies then the board will be more open to requests. You'll only have to wait a few months for construction to finish.

I usually don't buy unless PA is 3 stars or better. Sometimes I buy 2.5 star potential players. Get scout reports on prospects and pay attention because sometimes they will say someone with 3 star potential can be a "good Premiership/La Liga/etc player" and sometimes it will be "leading player." Sometimes they will also note that a player would be a quality signing and at others only a good signing.

I think that scouts are pretty accurate at judging current ability and potential ability, but when you are looking at 15 and 16 year olds, a regen with 150 PA and 180 PA might both be rated 3 stars. You just need to monitor them, get them some tutoring and decent training schedules with a bit of first team/loan action and assess their progress. If by 18-19 they haven't gotten to the point where they look like they could eventually get into your first eleven then start shopping them around and listening to offers.

I read somewhere, and I'm not 100% sure if this is true but it does make a lot of sense, that your scouts' assessment of current ability and potential ability is only based off of CA/PA points. What does this mean? Imagine you have two GK. One is 3.5* CA, either-footed, very strong with both left and right, with great physical stats but mediocre mental and goalkeeping stats. The other is 3* CA, right-foot only with middling physical stats but good mental and GK stats. Foot strength and physicals take up a lot of CA points and are not very useful to GKs (with the exception of agility and jumping). Since the scout report is just based on CA points and not actually how well they will play, the 3* GK will outperform the 3.5* in this scenario every time.

This needs to be taken into account when looking at players to sign. The first thing you should do, even before going to the full scout report, is check their attribute graph. Once you figure out what the graphs should end up looking like for world-class players it is easy to see at one glance whether a regen is going to be worth your time or not. If you see a regen with a good graph for a youngster and the scout report says he is at a low level of CA, e.g. less than 1 gold star, with at least 2.5* PA, then that means he has a lot of room to keep improving on his already good attributes and could be a future star. But if there's a regen with a poor graph, even if your scout says he has 4* PA, forget about him because he will never get to his potential (or possibly will but will have skewed attributes that inhibit him from playing his position well).

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

One thing to note is, regens are actually created in Argentina on 1 July not 1 August, at least in my game.

wow.... ty for the detailed reply. :)