The Darts - A Dartford Story

great signings! Love raiding the u23s and u18s of Premier League clubs for players whose contracts are going to expire, always a great way to pick up a bargain

Despite only having 10 men, we fought back bravely against our fiercest rivals to earn a point from 2-0 down! Despite only getting a point from the game, it could be our most spirited performance to date!

ebbsfleet.jpg

King's Lynn ran us close in the next game but we got back to winning ways....just!

kings lynn.jpg

Although we should have won by a lot clearer margin as we easily had the most shots we've had in a game ever since I took over.

kings lynn stats.jpg

7 more points from our next 3 games as we continued our good start to the season!

7 more points.jpg

Before a comfortable win in our first FA Cup outing of the season!

fa cup.jpg

The rise to National League football hasn't phased star striker, Ade Azeez, who already has 13 goals in 15 appearances in all competitions. He's starting to get noticed and League One Shrewsbury are sniffing around.

azeez.jpg

shrews interest.jpg

It was our other strikers, Abdul Abdulmalik and Jayden Reid that came through in our next 3 games though as we ensured an unbeaten month throughout October.

october.jpg

So after 18 games, we find ourselves in the most unexpected of title challenges. With less than half the season gone though, we won't be getting ahead of ourselves just yet.

league.jpg

Oh, and in amongst all of that, there was a new contract on the table for me.

new contract.jpg

Lionel Messi's move to PSG hasn't exactly done wonders for the latter stages of his career as he slips to become only the 6th best player in the world according to GOAL.com

50 best players.jpg

Although he is still tearing it up and his stats are unbelievable, involved in 18 goals in 18 games so far for the French giant this season!

messi.jpg

Back to us now and it was FA Cup 1st round action against League One side, Fleetwood Town. We weren't expected to get anything from this game, but we ran them very, very close, taking the game int extra time before we were eventually beaten! A performance we can be proud of here and it should build some confidence for our return to league action as well.

fleetwood.jpg

Or not...

or not.jpg

I haven't lost 3 competitive games in a row since I took over at Dartford and that was a record I wanted to protect. We had some hairy moments against Bromley, but a late winner from Romaine Mundle ensured I kept my personal little record intact.

bromley.jpg

We were rank outsiders going into the game against Maidenhead despite 12 places seperating us in the league, but we made a mockery of the odds as we recorded a comfortable 2-0 win at their gaff.

maidenhead.jpg

Now, goals haven't been hard to come by so far this season for us, so I didn't exactly need another striker. But Danny Newton was available and he comes with 4 years experience playing in League Two for Stevenage. Granted, he didn't score a lot of goals for them, but that experience could prove vital for us in the 2nd half of the season when some of our other players may start to feel a little out of their depth.

newton.jpg

Newton made his mark with a hat trick in a 4-0 win over struggling Guiseley. Three wins from our next four games ensures we remain very much in discussion to make at least a playoff spot this year, especially as we recorded victories over the likes of Swindon and Southend in our latest little winning streak.

3 wins from 4.jpg

It leaves us sitting pretty at the top of the table after 25 games, although Swindon could take top spot if they win their game in hand.

league.jpg

Things might be going well in the here and now, but as far as the future goes, the youth preview doesn't really give us a lot to be excited about.

youth preview.jpg

Our first game of the FA Trophy this season resulted in our most emphatic victory since I took over. Salisbury were hopeless and we romped to a 6-0 victory, with Danny Newton netting 4 times in the first half!

salisbury.jpg

Well that is unexpected. The Gills job has come up and guess who is the favourite! My beloved club want me.... but I'm here at Dartford with a job to do and a long term goal so if they come calling, I'll be telling them where to go...as hard as that may be!

gills job.jpg

On the International stage, it was a case of revenge for England over Italy for the Euro 2020 final as they lift the World Cup in Qatar beating the Italians in the final.

world cup final.jpg

Back in the league, we recorded a defeat, a draw and a win in our next 3 games as our form was a bit indifferent.

indifferent form.jpg

Before a lacklustre performance in the FA Trophy saw us crash out to Southend. We were really bad here and deserved nothing from the game.

southend.jpg

And we carried our poor form back into the league with a run of four games without a win, the worst of all being a thumping away at Barnet!

4 without a win.jpg

Ade Azeez has been struggling for goals through this period, with only 1 in his last 8 games...easily his dryest spell under my management at the club!

azeez form.jpg

It was time to drop our star striker for a few games and give Danny Newton the advanced forward role and see if it would change our fortunes in front of goal at all.

newton.jpg

It worked, as the striker sprung us back into life and led us to three straight wins, scoring 4 goals in the process. Back on track maybe?

3 wins.jpg

Maybe not...

wrexham.jpg

With 10 games remaining, if we're honest with ourselves, we are probably out of the title race now. However, we are very much in the mix for the playoff spots still and at the start of the campaign I'd have bitten your hand off for that!

league.jpg

We kick off the final run in with a poor result against a Solihull Moors side that are battling relegation! Not ideal!

solihull.jpg

Time for reinforcements to hopefully help us pick things up over the next few games. First in is experienced centre mid, Liam Sercombe. All of his playing experience is at League Two and League One level, so he should bring a lot to the side!

sercombe.jpg

Eli Campbell also comes into the club to bolster the defence. He'll be with us on loan from Luton until the end of the season and although he may not be a regular starter for us, he will provide crucial cover at the back.

campbell.jpg

The initial impact wasn't all that to be fair as we only took 1 point from our next 2 games.

next 2.jpg

However, a much better performance against Chorley saw us back to winning ways and would hopefully give us something to build on.

chorley.jpg

With our next game being against relegation threatened Dagenham & Redbridge, I expected us to follow up with another win and the boys duly delivered. Ade Azeez bagging his first goal in 11 games will be a much needed confidence boost for the striker!

dag and red.jpg

Another goal for Azeez and another win on the board all but assures us of our place in the playoffs! A fantastic achievement that I could have only dreamed of at the start of the campaign.

yeovil.jpg

league with 4 left.jpg

The youth intake is given a 4 star rating and seen as a good one, but I'm not so impressed. However, there are a couple of players that could 'make it' at the club.

youth intake.jpg

15 year old keeper, Olly Young, is probably the most promising and could develop into a decent keeper for the lower leagues of English football.

young.jpg

Our last 4 games were just a formality really as we looked ahead to the playoffs. Two wins and two defeats alternating, means we'll go into the playoff game with some mixed form.

last 4.jpg

It means we finish the season in 5th place. Swindon lift the title and go up automatically, whilst Wrexham snuck their way into the top 7 on the final day of the season.

top 7.jpg

Unfortunately, back to back promotions wasn't to be as this year, we fell at the first hurdle in the playoff campaign, outclassed by an Aldershot side that will have a good chance of going up if they play like this in their next games.

aldershot.jpg

End of Season Review 2022/23

Vanarama National League;
5th Place (Knocked out in Playoff First Round)
Emirates FA Cup; First Round (knocked out by Fleetwood)
Buildbase FA Trophy; Fourth Round (knocked out by Southend)

A successful league campaign gives us something to build upon next season. I'm happy with the way things have gone this year despite not being able to get through the playoffs. We were expected to struggle in the bottom half of the table, so to finish in the top 5 is an achievement we can be proud of. Our cup performances left a little to be desired though and this is something I'd like to do better with next year. It was Grimsby that eventually went up with Swindon, via the playoffs.

final league.jpg

Playing at the higher level this season saw us bring in considerably more money in the area of match day retail and commercial, corporate and hospitality revenue and broadcasting too. However, we saw a little drop off in prize money but all in all the revenue was on the up.

finances.jpg

The club isn't in the greatest of positions though as we find ourselves in the red by £60k.

60k down.jpg

The best eleven were overall pretty impressive with only the left wing back and goalkeeper failing to record average ratings above 7.0 throughout the season. Solberg is young though and has plenty of room for improvement and I'm likely to keep the faith with him. On the other hand, Jernade Meade has struggled this year and is likely to be replaced this Summer. New centre backs, Michael Chambers and Manny Adebowale were the most impressive players in the team!

best 11.jpg

I didn't manage any personal manager of the month acolades this season, but that was quickly forgotten as my peers voted for me to win the Manager of the Year instead!

manager of year.jpg

As far as the player awards go, it was one of the new centre backs who impressed the fan's enough to take their player of the season award. No complaints with Dylan Crowe taking the young player award and that was well deserved in my opinion. He also pipped the two centre backs to the signing of the season as well.

awards.jpg

The three defenders are all inducted into the overall best eleven since I took over as well, alongside Solomon Nwabuokei.

overall 11.jpg

Stats for the entire squad sorted by appearances below. Ade Azeez was again the man to lead the front line as he just about managed 20 goals again, although Danny Newton deserves a mention as his 15 goals came at a much better goal per game ratio and there is a chance he could be the main man next season! The right wing back position proved to be our most creative area of the pitch as Dylan Crowe and Canny Coogan landed 25 assists between them, creating 47 clear cut chances and playing an incredible 234 key passes as well! The central midfield role proved to be the most competitive throughout the campaign and saw the most rotation but the two players that stand out are Solomon Nwabuokei with his 10 goals and 7 assists, and Romain Mundle, who bagged 8 goals and 5 assists - the 20 year old could have a bright future with us! Collectively, the whole defence was pretty solid and I'll be working hard this Summer to keep hold of the centre backs.

squad.jpg

Despite our decent showing in the league this season, the board have reviewed the vision of the club and still only expect us to steer clear of relegation next year. Lack of ambition or just lenient bosses?!

vision.jpg

As we go into the Summer, there is no money available for transfers (as expected), but the board have put an extra £5k a week in the wage budget which should allow me to attract some better players to the club ready for next year.

budgets.jpg

We'll have a change in leadership for the upcoming season as big centre back, Michael Chambers is handed the armband!

captaincy.jpg

A few players were released this Summer who had all played a fair few games under me.

released.jpg

Luke Wanadio and George Porter had run the wings for me in our first season, but just weren't deemed good enough for the higher level we are now at.

wanadio.jpg

porter.jpg

Connor Essam was the other notable departure as he joined Concord Rangers on a free. The centre back had made 66 appearances under me, with a solid average rating, but I just feel we have better options at the club now and he was asking for £650 per week, which I wasn't prepared to give him!

essam.jpg

As far as new signings go, Matthew Blake was the first through the door. I wanted to sort out our left back position as I felt it was one of our weakest. Now, thanks to the arrival of Blake, it's one of our strongest areas of the pitch as he looks awesome for this level!

blake.jpg

With Connor Essam leaving the club, we needed extra cover at centre back, so I decided to renew the loan deal for pacey defender Eli Campbell. He'll stay with us for the next year from Luton.

campbell.jpg

Pre season was relatively successful with wins coming against Lincoln and Millwall from the divisions above.

friendlies.jpg

Despite our playoff finish last year, the bookies still fancy us to struggle again this season with a bottom half finish predicted, although the odds are all incredibly close and the league should be ultra competitive.

pre season.jpg

I'm going with a change in formation for the upcoming season and this is what I've settled on. I wanted to go back to using some width this year rather than focusing everything through the middle of the park.

tactic.jpg

And in line with that plan, Sam Pearson joins the club on loan for the season from Bristol City. The 21 year old winger brings some pace and flair to the team and could easily become one of our key creators this season!

pearson.jpg

And Pearson made an immediate impact as he scored the opener in our 2-2 draw away at Maidenhead on the opening day of the new campaign!

maidenhead.jpg

I added another winger to the squad to bolster my options out wide. And this one came in from my beloved Gillingham. Welcome Danny Lloyd! Not the paciest of wide players, but has good enough attributes to make an impact down at this level.

lloyd.jpg

Our form over the next four games was shocking as we start the season with 5 games without a win! Our defence is looking ropey with 10 goals conceded already! The only shining light was Danny Newton's form in front of goal!

4 without a win.jpg

It was time for an early shake up in the tactics! Our whole focus would now be on attacking wing play!

tactic.jpg

It immediately brought around a change in fortune against high flying Barnet! Much, much better!

barnet.jpg

And we followed that up with another win against Eastleigh...a dominant performance too as we limited our opponents to a single shot in the whole game!

eastleigh.jpg

Another win followed against Wealdstone and we were starting build some momentum as we made it 3 victories on the bounce.

wealdstone.jpg

But a stubborn Chorley side ensured we didn't make it 4! We were all over them for 90 minutes but just couldn't find a winner!

chorley.jpg

That Chorley result set us up on another poor run of form as we went another 4 games without a win! Things are definitely not going to plan so far this season.

3 more without win.jpg

Worth giving a shout out to Luke Calvert though who made his debut for the club, coming off the bench against Scunthorpe and bagging himself a goal!

calvert.jpg

The league table doesn't make for good reading for us at the moment and we really need to up our game to push into the top half of the table.

league.jpg

Another 14 games were played without a single win and with us sitting 22nd in the division, I was fired!!! Along the way this season, I was offered interviews with Blackburn and Ipswich and I can't help but think I should have deviated away from the story of a 1 club save and gone for one of them now! Based on that thought process, I am going to start a new save as a European journeyman, where it doesn't need to come to an abrupt end if I get the chop from a club.