The Dutch Master Returns to Manage Arsenal

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS AT ARSENAL
Arsene-Wenger.jpg

Arsenal's legendary manager Arsene Wenger has decided to leave Arsenal and take up the position of manager of the French National Team.

"Football has changed too much from when I joined Arsenal," the coach said in his final interview. "I believe football has sold its soul to the devil. Clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea are spending over their means and while this may bring short term success this is not good for football. I have decided, therefore, to leave my position as Arsenal Manager, as I believe I cannot take the club any further."

Asked why he chose the France Job over the many reported offers he received, including rumoured offers from prestigious clubs such as AC Milan, PSG and Bayern Munich, Wenger replied, "I want a crack at managing my country. I believe we have a squad capable of winning the European Tournament next year"

It is unknown who Arsenal are seeking to replace Wenger, but seasoned managers are naturally being linked with the post. The favourite is former player Remi Garde, but he is closely followed by Carlo Ancelotti, Jurgen Klopp, Guus Hiddink and Pep Guardiola.

A surprise candidate, perhaps, is former Arsenal striker Dennis Bergkamp, who is looking to make a return to football in a management role.

Bergkamp_Cover2-1.jpg

Latest Manager odds

Remi Garde and Pep Guardiola have ruled themselves out of contention for the job - citing love for their current clubs.

The favourite now is Jurgen Klopp who is set to hold talks with the Arsenal Board later today.

Klopp - 11/4
Hiddink - 4/1
Ancelotti 6/1
Bergkamp - 20/1
Moyes - 40/1
O'Neill 50/1

Klopp out of the running

Jurgen Klopp has declared that he would rather stay at Borussia Dortmund than leave and manage Arsenal, stating that the talks that took place between him and Gunners board member Ivan Gazidis were 'Strictly Informal'.

Bookies have reportedly slashed odds on Dennis Bergkamp taking the reins after a Twitter-Frenzy, down to 2/1.

Bergkamp takes vacant managerial position at Arsenal

200px-Dennis_Bergkamp_cropped.JPG

Dennis Bergkamp - regarded by many as one of Arsenal's finest ever strikers, has taken the position of manager at Arsenal FC.

He stated that his love for the club was behind his decision to take the job, saying that, "I could never leave Arsenal for too long. Life was becoming boring without the Gunners being in my life. Now that I am back here I hope to reinstate the winning mentality that was present a few years ago, so that we may start winning trophies."

When asked on new signings, he said, "Certainly, I would love for new signings to be made, as I believe we are only one or two key players away from having a title-challenging squad."

Mr Bergkamp is known by many as 'The non-flying dutchman' due to his fear of flying - but Bergkamp says this will not affect his handling of the job. "It is a personal matter that I am looking to deal with."

While many Arsenal fans have been eager to welcome their legendary player back to the club, some have argued that a manager with more experience may have been a better candidate, with one fan saying, "With all respect to Dennis, surely appointed a manager with no experience is not a good move? I would love him to be manager one day but I do not think this is the right time, we should have gone for someone more experience such as Hiddink or Moyes."

Nevertheless, the journey begins here. With many challenges ahead of him, such as trying to get another, younger dutch legend to sign a new contract, and attempting to stay in the top four ahead of an improving Liverpool and a Tottenham side boosted by the loan signing of former Gunners star Emmanuel Adebayor, Dennis Bergkamp sure has his work cut out.