The end of Chelski?

Willster

Reaction score
After watching Chelsea capitulate against Man Utd, it has made me think, are we watching the demise of Chelski?? To me they have an ageing squad, a manager who seems to have lost the dressing room,players looking to leave (Drogba) and an owner who is looking to sell because he's had enough and wont buy any new players! Chelsea have to start re-building now I think, they dont have a great academy setup, no up and coming youth players, they should seriously consider selling some of their prize assets and invest in younger, hungry players!!

Should Man City fans be worried of what may come?? (100mil for KAKA is absolutely ridiculous and will make a mockery of Football Transfers IMO) £48mil for Zidane was a lot when he moved to R.Madrid but FFS its Zidane, commercially R. Madrid would have made that money back anyway, can Man City say the same about KAKA??

Also:

What will happen to the Premiership when all the foreign investors have had enough of their football plaything and decide to invest in something else???

Discuss:

Last edited:
chelsea thought they wa gonna awalk all overr the prem this year god was they wrong typicl portuguis manager nowed as big phill shows wwhy he has no club record and ronaldo is stayin thank u ronado and am barce on 09 hos urgame goin

We have come to an age in football where Billionaires think they can simply buy a football club, splash a few pounds and success will follow. £100 Mill for Kaka is unrealistic in the extreme, and that aside the guy wont be going for success if he moves to Eastlands as City have little chance of success.

Chelsea attempted it, and fair play won 2 prem titles. HOWEVER, thats because a good manager (Mourinho) with a decent tactical knowledge, and sensibility not to buy prima-dona superstars led them to it. That was wrecked by a chairman who thinks that the more you spend on a player, the better he'll play. WRONG!!

It looks like they are on the way down with an old squad and no plan B etc, but its too early to say for this season. Mourniho is certainly a better club manager than Scolari but its still only January and they are still in contention for most things. If they start to trail off in the next couple of months then hopefully we can talk about this :D. I don't think they will win the league but I'm not sure about their demise just yet. Scolari did win the 2002 WC remember when Brazil were supposed to be going ***** (in the qualifiers at least).

chelsea thought they wa gonna awalk all overr the prem this year god was they wrong typicl portuguis manager nowed as big phill shows wwhy he has no club record and ronaldo is stayin thank u ronado and am barce on 09 hos urgame goin

say again?

It looks like they are on the way down with an old squad and no plan B etc, but its too early to say for this season. Mourniho is certainly a better club manager than Scolari but its still only January and they are still in contention for most things. If they start to trail off in the next couple of months then hopefully we can talk about this :D. I don't think they will win the league but I'm not sure about their demise just yet. Scolari did win the 2002 WC remember when Brazil were supposed to be going ***** (in the qualifiers at least).

say again?

I agree with you not writing Chelsea off for this season but I genuinely fear for them in the coming seasons unless there are some drastic changes, starting with their transfer policy. Anyone and I mean anyone who signs (Le Sulk) Anelka for 15mil needs their head checked!! He is one of the most infuriating players I have ever witnessed, yes he is the top goalscorer in the league but even I would score in a decent Chelsea squad. What is the longer term Chelsea strategy. The cant just buy players like they did in seasons past, they dont buy top promising youngsters. I just think especially in the transfer market Chelsea have been very naive, they bought proven players yes granted, gave them big contracts, and now theyre getting older where is the future generation stars coming from???? What type of scouting system do they have?? Why havent Chelsea copied the Man Utd or Arsenal blueprint for buying youth???

Willster

After watching Chelsea capitulate against Man Utd, it has made me think, are we watching the demise of Chelski?? To me they have an ageing squad, a manager who seems to have lost the dressing room,players looking to leave (Drogba) and an owner who is looking to sell because he's had enough and wont buy any new players! Chelsea have to start re-building now I think, they dont have a great academy setup, no up and coming youth players, they should seriously consider selling some of their prize assets and invest in younger, hungry players!!

Should Man City fans be worried of what may come?? (100mil for KAKA is absolutely ridiculous and will make a mockery of Football Transfers IMO) £48mil for Zidane was a lot when he moved to R.Madrid but FFS its Zidane, commercially R. Madrid would have made that money back anyway, can Man City say the same about KAKA??

Also:

What will happen to the Premiership when all the foreign investors have had enough of their football plaything and decide to invest in something else???

Discuss:

I think you're suffering from some misconceptions here.

1. "Players looking to leave"
- Drogba's been wanting out since Mourinho left, that's hardly a new thing. What's happened since then however, is he's not performing on the pitch at all, although I blame that on the player himself, not his manager.

2. "an owner who is looking to sell because he's had enough and wont buy any new players"
- We're in the middle of a recession at the moment, and like most businessmen, Abramovich has seen his money significantly reduced. Like all prudent businessmen, he'll be looking to cut back, but as is usually the case, he'll be extra tight with his cash, even if he doesn't necessarily need to be.

3. "£48mil for Zidane was a lot when he moved to R.Madrid but FFS its Zidane"
- Well FFS it's Kaká! I mean this guy was the best player in the world not so long ago, let's not forget who we're talking about here. I agree £100m is obsene, but if Zidane was worth £48m in 2001, why shouldn't Kaká be worth more than that in 2009? ****, I expect Ronaldo to command an astronomical fee if he ever leaves.

4. "What will happen to the Premiership when all the foreign investors have had enough of their football plaything and decide to invest in something else"
- Why would this happen? First and foremost, these people are businessmen, and you don't invest millions and billions into a serious business unless you think you can make a return out of it; and you wouldn't do that if you were expecting to abandon ship in a few years.

As for your question, no, I do not believe we're watching the demise of Chelsea, they're just going through a rough patch at the moment. At the beginning of the season when they were putting 4 past teams each week, Scolari was hailed as a managerial genius and Chelsea were running away with the league. That speeding train has slowed down now, but it's not down and out; the result against United may well give them the wake up call they need.
Point is though, don't underestimate Chelsea.

From reading the comments above, there's also some odd things being said about Jose Mourinho. Everyone thinks he's a great manager, but the truth is he has zero pedigree. The only thing going for him is serving under Sir Bobby Robson at Barça; besides that, total prat!

At Porto he had the biggest budget in the Portugese league, winning the championship was a no brainer.
"He also won the Champions League", I hear you cry, but the Champions League is a knock out competition and not neccesarily reflective of the best team in Europe (Liverpool 2005, 5th in the Prem).

At Chelsea, it was common knowledge that he had the biggest cheque book in world football (at the time) and he took over a side which was legitimatley on the up - Claudio Ranieri had already done the foundation work (Lampard, J.Cole, Terry, etc)

Now at Inter, he has inherited a side that has won Serie A for the last 3 seasons and they are performing no better than they were last season, particularly in Europe where they've looked inept at times. He will run the club into the ground with his inablity to look to the future and his authoritarian tactician attitude and will bail just before it all starts to fall apart leaving his succesor looking at all the fingers pointing the blame at him.

The guy's a joke.

Its not a misconception fella, its an opinion!

Willster

point 1.
Anelka requested to leave after being left on the bench, Carvalho wants to go to Spain or Italy, (quotes from marca and gazetta sports italia).

Point 2.
Abramovic is looking to sell FACT!! Quoted in various economic tabloids.

Abramovich has spent approximately £600 million on the club since arriving in 2003.

How is he going to make that back???
Prudent businessman or not who will buy Chelski for that amount??

Point 3.
KAKA isn't even in the same League (IN MY OPINION) as ZZ was. No player is worth either amount, however the Zidane transfer was paid back commercially how will KAKA pay his back??

Point 4.
Mike Ashley, Invested and wanted to sell after 18months
Abramovic , Wants to sell
Gillet Hicks, Cant afford to keep Liverpool must sell
These are sound businessmen, why are they looking to leave???

Fact: Football clubs arent profit making on the whole, there are very few exceptions, its more of a hobby than a business albeit an expensive one!!

Its about time there was a serious debate on here anyway. I take your points on board fella but I just dont agree with them.

Willster

Willster

Last edited:
Point 2.
Abramovic is looking to sell FACT!! Quoted in various economic tabloids.

Abramovich has spent approximately £600 million on the club since arriving in 2003.

How is he going to make that back???
Prudent businessman or not who will buy Chelski for that amount??

Willster

I wasn't debating whether or not he'd sell, I don't know or care about that, it wasn't the issue.
I was disagreeing on your stance that he's had enough. He's a businessman, not a little boy sick of his toy train. If he wants to leave, it's because it's not financially viable for him to stick around, not because he can't be bothered anymore.

As for the price, let's compare recent transactions:
the Glazers bought Man Utd for £741m, the Abu-Dhabi consortium bought Man City for £200m; don't you think Chelsea would get a fee closer to United's, rather than City's?

I wasn't debating whether or not he'd sell, I don't know or care about that, it wasn't the issue.
I was disagreeing on your stance that he's had enough. He's a businessman, not a little boy sick of his toy train. If he wants to leave, it's because it's not financially viable for him to stick around, not because he can't be bothered anymore.

As for the price, let's compare recent transactions:
the Glazers bought Man Utd for £741m, the Abu-Dhabi consortium bought Man City for £200m; don't you think Chelsea would get a fee closer to United's, rather than City's?

I agree the Chelsea Brand would be worth more than Man City but its nowhere near the commercial league in which Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona operate. So, to expect a fee in the league of Man Utd I'd have to say no. Just another footnote regarding Abramovic this is what he had to say when he bought Chelsea FC.

Investors have very short memories
The goal is to win. It's not about making money. I have many much less risky ways of making money than this (buying Chelsea football club). I don't want to throw my money away, but it's really about having fun and that means success and trophies.

So you will agree that Chelsea is his Toy??
His passion for yachts now far outweighs that of Chelsea anyway.

Last edited:
I agree the Chelsea Brand would be worth more than Man City but its nowhere near the commercial league in which Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona operate. So, to expect a fee in the league of Man Utd I'd have to say no. Just another footnote regarding Abramovic this is what he had to say when he bought Chelsea FC.

Investors have very short memories
The goal is to win. It's not about making money. I have many much less risky ways of making money than this (buying Chelsea football club). I don't want to throw my money away, but it's really about having fun and that means success and trophies.

So you will agree that Chelsea is his Toy??
His passion for yachts now far outweighs that of Chelsea anyway.

"I don't want to throw my money away" is the key line from the quote you supplied.
If that's the case, why would he just walk out on them for whatever price he can get?

We're totally off topic now anyway, you asked if the Chelsea demise is upon us and I really don't think it is.

You seem to think the opposite, but haven't given a lot of reasons why aside from trouble up top.

Ok hold up a second, Chelsea's squad really isnt aging at all

Ac Milan's squad is aging. I would not call it the end of Chelsea either because of a bad run of form. Earlier in the season everyone was praising Deco and Scolari.

Man Utd have been in this sort of position over the years and just go on amazing runs so dont rule anything out yet.

It's not about making money. I have many much less risky ways of making money than this.

Doesnt he contradict what you say??

I never said they were in decline i actually said could this be the decline (demise) same thing?? It was meant to be debatable this was the point, there are many reasons to argue lots of points regarding Chelsea. I just call it as I see it. I was trying to get at the longer term implications of the way Chelsea have went about things. Mainly their Transfer Policy and how it affects the team now. Honestly, i think Chelsea are in need of serious investment yet again (Changing of the guard if you like) they are short in every department, How can they compete with Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal in the long term (Keywords LONG TERM) if they dont invest heavily in up and coming talent??? They have purchased world renowned players Schevchenko for example who genuinely is/was World Class, paid them vast amounts of wages and then what happens to them?? These players don't turn **** overnight. Do they just see the paychecks at the end of the week!! I cant see the logic in buying over thirty somethings (DECO) who hasn't performed since the first couple of weeks of the season and expect them to burst a gut week in week out for the Chelsea cause. The have way too many players happy to down tools when the going gets tough, the 3-0 against Man utd was a perfect example of that. 3 goals conceded from cross balls with Terry Carvalho and Cech arguably the best trio of defenders in the Premiership defending like a pub team something is wrong somewhere at the core of Chelsea.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe not, I agree that it is too early to write them off just yet but, I wouldnt be surprised to see it if it did.

Willster

It is when you see what Scolari's doing. ;)

He's put the squad up for sale, and offered 4 players for Robinho.:D

The one thing everyone has overlooked is the absence of Micheal Essien......Chelsea are a much better team with him than without. Mikel just isnt in the same class and as a result the defence becomes more exposed, the full backs cant push forward against better opposition the same, and thus removing all width from chelsea's play, as demonstrated at Old Trafford last sunday.

As for offering for 4 players for Robinho....i very much doubt.....that is clearly just paper nonsense.

Chelsea's problem is an imbalanced side, with too many similar midfielders, and not enough wingers. You say ageing, but many of their players are in their prime age......a few years down the line then yes ageing, just like AC Milan.

he`s not portuguese, is brasilian!