THE ENGINEER - Manuel Pellegrini's 4-4-2 (Solid for Underdogs!)

Kyanite

Reaction score
THE ENGINEER

Nicknamed "The Engineer" as he has a degree in Civil Engineering,
Manuel Pellegrini is a name not uncommon to most in the footballing world.
Managing greats such as Real Madrid and Manchester City to glory, now it's your turn.

Pellegrini.png

THE FORMATION

formation.png

When many were constantly proclaiming that the 4-4-2 was dead, Pellegrini took over at Manchester City and used it to perfection, most notably winning the Premier League whilst playing attacking football that was a joy to behold.

Despite opting to modify his regular approach to include Jesus Navas as a winger on the right side of the four in midfield at the Etihad, the Chilean manager usually played with not one but two interiore's on each flank.

An interiore is a player who identifies as a wide player defensively, then when attacking cuts inside almost to create a pair of central attacking midfielders - moving in to the interior of the pitch. The idea is not only to give overlapping full backs space to move in to, but to also allow the interiore's to act as a unit with the strikers to confuse defenders. For example, if one of the strikers runs wide, that leaves the defender in a difficult dilemma due to the interiore taking up the striker's place centrally. The interiore's must also be very technically gifted players as their main job isn't to score goals as extra forwards but to provide ammunition to the front two.

THE TEAM INSTRUCTIONS
teaminstructions.png

THE PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS

Goalkeeper - Fewer Risky Passes, Distribute to Full Backs, Slow Pace Down
Full Backs - Get Further Forward, Cross More Often, Cross From Byline, Stay Wider, Close Down Much Less
Center Backs - Hold Position
Defensive Midfielder - Mark Tighter, Close Down Much Less
Box to Box Midfielder - Mark Tighter
Wide Playmakers - Mark Tighter
Deep Lying Forward - Mark Tighter
Complete Forward - Mark Tighter

THE OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

Assistant Manager :)

THE TRAINING REGIME

Pre-Season:
General Training - Balanced, High or Average (depending on workload).
Scheduling - 1 bar towards More Match Training, only rest day after match.
Match Preparation - Match Tactics.

Once Tactic is Fluid:
General Training - Balanced, High or Average (depending on workload).
Scheduling - 1 bar towards Less Match Training, only rest day after match.
Match Preparation - Defensive Positioning.

Note: If the tactic is not 100% fluid yet, however you have a game against a top team coming up, switch your match preparation to Defensive Positioning the week before... then after the match go back to Match Tactics.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE

- The tactic will be inconsistent UNTIL you have 100% familiarity.
- When facing a TOP team where you are the underdog, CHANGE YOUR FULLBACK ROLES from FB (Au) to DFB.
- 0th - 5th minute - Defensive mentality.
- 6th - 39th minute - Attacking mentality.
- 40th - 49th minute - Defensive mentality.
- 50th minute - 79th minute - Attacking mentality.
- 80th minute - 90th minute - Defensive mentality unless losing.
- If you have scored a goal, go Defensive for 5 minutes.

THE RESULTS

CRYSTAL PALACE (Predicted 12th)
(Note: First half of season, was before figuring out tweak to improve against top teams)
Crystal_Palace_Table.png

Crystal_Palace_Results.png

BLACKBURN ROVERS (Predicted 17th)

Blackburn_Table.png

Blackburn_Results.png

ARSENAL (Predicted 4th)

Arsenal_Table.png

Arsenal_Results.png

THE DOWNLOAD

THE CONCLUSION
It's a two up front formation, which means you'll definitely get goals. Expect to be leaky at the back, especially with underdog teams like Palace or Blackburn. However it is also important to pay a lot of attention to the points where I emphasize not to judge this until you achieve 100% familiarity because before that point where consistency begins, I've noticed you can get some strange results. Other than that, follow the training regime, build from the back as far as transfers are concerned and enjoy!

Last edited:
A quick question:
These changes
[FONT=&quot]- 0th - 5th minute - Defensive mentality.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 6th - 39th minute - Attacking mentality.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 40th - 49th minute - Defensive mentality.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 50th minute - 79th minute - Attacking mentality.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- 80th minute - 90th minute - Defensive mentality unless losing.[/FONT]

How important are they to team performance over a season? I know i may forget to do it, other users might too, so it would be nice to know, especially before some of the usual "tactic dosn't work" comments get posted :)

A quick question:
These changes

How important are they to team performance over a season? I know i may forget to do it, other users might too, so it would be nice to know, especially before some of the usual "tactic dosn't work" comments get posted :)

I just found the tactic starting with an attacking mentality and ending halves and matches with the same mentality resulted in conceding a few goals, as well as right when scoring a goal.

So they aren't crucial if you forget from time to time, but really it's just for your own good.

any pic's with training?

I'll try get this sorted.

Really not getting the credit it deserves. Strong tac so far??????????????????

Really not getting the credit it deserves. Strong tac so far������������������

Well, I think it's pretty strong :p
Needs more people to try it out I guess.

I'll give it a go with my Inter side once I finish the season as I'll need to buy some players to suit the tactic to do it justice I believe.

i think exactly the same, very underrated tactic, i tried it for a few games and i liked what i've seen so far, going to start a new career lets see how it goes, gz Kyanite!

i think exactly the same, very underrated tactic, i tried it for a few games and i liked what i've seen so far, going to start a new career lets see how it goes, gz Kyanite!

Glad to hear it!
What team are you playing as?

Let me know how your results are post-patch.

im not home at the momment so i cant post SS, but the tactic is rly good going forward, but at the back was a bit shaky, i got a lot of 3-2 2-1 and 4-2, i won though, dont get me wrong its a good tactic, just think we could do something about the defense without touching the attack. maybe use 2 DC? or touching the defensive line,,idk im no technical genious. but its the best 4-4-2 i ve tried so far. equals to hannibal ;)

im not home at the momment so i cant post SS, but the tactic is rly good going forward, but at the back was a bit shaky, i got a lot of 3-2 2-1 and 4-2, i won though, dont get me wrong its a good tactic, just think we could do something about the defense without touching the attack. maybe use 2 DC? or touching the defensive line,,idk im no technical genious. but its the best 4-4-2 i ve tried so far. equals to hannibal ;)

Well, being a 4-4-2 like I said in the OP it will always score goals, defensively there are issues as expected.
Are you changing mentality and following the instructions in the OP?
Are you changing your full back mentaltity based on opposition?
Are you using defensive positioning as your training?
If so, you shouldn't be conceding that many goals as Man United.