Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FA Carlsberg Vase

• Other

• Total voters

PZW

Reaction score
Now, I know there is the FA Cup Thread, Football League Thread, Premier League Thread and certain match threads, but not a thread for cups such as the Carling League Cup, Johnstone's Paint Trophy and FA Trophy. Whilst these cups are dismissed as small and minor trophies, I thought this thread would be a good idea for people to discuss English cups in.

Whether it's a Non-League Cup, or the Carling Cup, feel free to discuss it in here! However, may I remind you that there are already thread for some competitions (such as the FA Cup) and that you should use those threads to discuss it - if they already exist. If there is not a specific thread for it, then feel free to discuss the cup in here.

The winners/holders of some of the cups, this season and last season, are:

Budweiser Football Association Cup (The FA Cup): Manchester City F.C. (2010-11) and Chelsea F.C.(2011-12).

The Carling League Cup (The Carling Cup): Birmingham City F.C. (2010-11) and Liverpool F.C. (2011-12).

The Johnstone's Paint Football League Trophy (The Johnstone's Paint Trophy): Carlisle United F.C. (2010-11) and Chesterfield F.C. (2011-12).

The Carlsberg Football Association Challenge Trophy (The FA Trophy): Darlington F.C. (2010-11) and Newport County A.F.C./York City F.C. (2011-12).

The Carlsberg Football Association Challenge Vase (The FA Vase): Whitley Bay F.C. (2010-11) and Dunston UTS F.C./West Auckland Town F.C. (2011-12).

If you want me to add any other trophies, that you think are worthy of being mentioned, feel free to post in the thread (with a link to the website and, preferably, with the 2010-11 and 2011-12 winners)! Let the discussion begin!

Last edited:
I think to most people, me included, FA cup is the best, that and Carling Cup.

I think to most people, me included, FA cup is the best, that and Carling Cup.
To be honest, that is to be expected - they are the two 'top' English trophies for Premier League clubs. However, I don't see why the League Cup is often written off by people, and the FA Cup is valued more. Is it history, the prize money, or what?

Of course, I think the FA Cup is better because, although it is similar to the League Cup, non-league teams do get a chance (albeit small) of competing and having a run in it! That and the history of shocks in it, which make it quite a good competition to watch!

- PZW

Last edited:
Update: Chelsea Football Club beat Liverpool Football Club by 2 goals to 1 to win the Budweiser FA Cup 2012! Chelsea F.C. 2-1 Liverpool F.C.!

​- PZW

Last edited:
Nothing comes close to the FA Cup. When you are a kid, you dream of lifting the FA Cup at Wembley or the World Cup for your country, all other competitions including the Champions League should be second best in my opinion.

I think it's a disgrace that the traditions of the FA Cup are being destroyed by the CL and tv companies, mney is dictating everything in football now and it really doesn't sit right with me. I can understand why getting the 4th CL spot is financially important for all clubs, but it really has devalued the english cups. I'd love to see the qualifying change so that just the top 2 in the premiership qualify for CL football, and the FA Cup winners and Carling Cup winners get the other 2 spots. It really would bring back the excitement and importance of the english cups again.

Nothing comes close to the FA Cup. When you are a kid, you dream of lifting the FA Cup at Wembley or the World Cup for your country, all other competitions including the Champions League should be second best in my opinion.

I think it's a disgrace that the traditions of the FA Cup are being destroyed by the CL and tv companies, mney is dictating everything in football now and it really doesn't sit right with me. I can understand why getting the 4th CL spot is financially important for all clubs, but it really has devalued the english cups. I'd love to see the qualifying change so that just the top 2 in the premiership qualify for CL football, and the FA Cup winners and Carling Cup winners get the other 2 spots. It really would bring back the excitement and importance of the english cups again.

I agree that FA cup winner should get CL spot, but Carling cup winner should go to Europa league imo. They are not same level cups so rewards shouldn't be same.

I agree that FA cup winner should get CL spot, but Carling cup winner should go to Europa league imo. They are not same level cups so rewards shouldn't be same.

They wouldn't technically be the same as the Carling Cup winner would get the 4th CL spot so they'd enter the qualifying rounds, but I understand what you're saying.

I can understand why getting the 4th CL spot is financially important for all clubs, but it really has devalued the english cups. I'd love to see the qualifying change so that just the top 2 in the premiership qualify for CL football, and the FA Cup winners and Carling Cup winners get the other 2 spots.
[FONT=&#23435]
g.gif
[/FONT][FONT=&#23435][/FONT]​