Status
Not open for further replies.

maxy67

Reaction score
The English Job | Football Italia

Thought this was an interesting blog.

Writer: Susy Campanale

The English Job
When Italy were paired with England in Euro 2012, Susy Campanale’s heart sank, but it had precious little to do with the football.

I am, like many of our regular readers on this website, an Italian who grew up in England. I have always identified myself as Italian, have an Italian passport, watch television from the peninsula with the aid of a satellite dish and naturally cheer on the Azzurri in any sport or Eurovision Song Contest. I am bi-lingual and bi-cultural, for this gives us the unique perspective of seeing both nations simultaneously as insiders and outsiders. This is why the idea of an Italy-England quarter-final is deeply frightening. We know what’s coming.

We’ve seen it so many times before and now it’s us in the firing line. Within minutes of the ludicrously lucky win over Ukraine, friends and co-workers were already texting Anglo-Italians with jokes about pasta, boring defensive football, match-fixing, pizza puns and switching sides in World War II. The media are even worse and it is not just reserved to the tabloids now. ITV presented the game with France by name-checking Waterloo and the Battle of Agincourt – you know, relevant, up to date references. You may say that all nations do this – I am here to tell you they do not. Italian media mention other
footballmatches
, but certainly not the Roman invasion of Britain or the fact we gave you aqueducts. Because that would be daft.
It’s really no better when the English get down to discussing Italian football. I wonder if we can place a bet on how long it will take articles or television intros to mention the dreaded c-word, even though catenaccio hasn’t been used since the1960s. Of course the pundits will confidently state that Italy will shut up shop, park the bus, focus on the counter-attack and play negatively. We’ll probably see all that on Sunday, but mainly from Roy Hodgson’s team. When the Azzurri do it, that’s ‘negative,’ but for England it’s ‘determined, solid and gritty’. Also, time-wasting and diving is ‘cheating’ for Italians, but ‘clever play’ by the English.

These are people who are paid to watch football for a living. You’d think when going on to the television, radio or newspapers they would invest a little time in some research. Instead, I heard ex-Inter player Paul Ince tell radio listeners “Andrea Pirlo is good for his age.” He turned 33 last month! When did that become old? Oh, I forgot, Italy have an ‘ageing squad’ at all times, regardless of facts and statistics. It is just one of the many clichés we have to put up with when watching Italian football discussed in Britain.

Then there is the other issue that surely not only the Italians, but all non-English people in England will have spotted. It’s fortunate England rarely win anything, because they are really not good at handling success. Already the smugometer is off the charts, squeezing past Sweden and Ukraine with a large dose of luck and a big slice of cynicism for some reason has made them favourites for the tournament.

Pundits have been talking about a semi-final with Germany since Tuesday night, as if beating Italy were a foregone conclusion. I realise this isn’t the strongestAzzurri side in history, but I’ve got a newsflash for you – neither is it the best England team. The performances in the group phase showed little to be frightened of other than the pace of Theo Walcott and Hodgson’s remarkable luck. I even read that if the tie goes to penalties, England are certain to win because they have “such a strong goalkeeper in Joe Hart.” No mention whatsoever of GigiBuffon, then? Good to know he merits so little recognition.

Most of all, my heart sank because if England do get the win, then we will literally never hear the end of it. And I am not misusing the term literally. Still banging on about 1966 at every available opportunity, the English react to success much the same way they do to the appearance of sunshine – strip to comedy shorts, get very drunk, go extremely red and lose all sense of proportion or decency. You’ve heard of sore losers? Those are the Italians with a conspiracy theory ready for every occasion. The English, however, are sore winners, rubbing people’s faces in their every tiny victory.
This blog may seem bitter to some of you, and I agree it probably is, but the other Italians in England will know exactly what I mean. Whatever happens, it’s going to be a dark few days or even years, so let’s remember we have each other. Forzaragazzi.

Not really sure about this blog. For some reason it takes media words as the standard for all Englishmen, and that's immediately wrong.

It does just come off as a rather bitter rant in truth.

So true, the English media is laughable in their knowledge of other footballing cultures, and very arrogant.

Not really sure about this blog. For some reason it takes media words as the standard for all Englishmen, and that's immediately wrong.

It does just come off as a rather bitter rant in truth.

Thats very true, the media doesn't represent the views of the entire country.

Although she's made a few points which I agree with about the English media being overly arrogant, and mis-informed or ignorant about other nations football.

Thats very true, the media doesn't represent the views of the entire country.

Although she's made a few points which I agree with about the English media being overly arrogant, and mis-informed or ignorant about other nations football.

Most English people dont like the English press. You should have seen the Guardian comments after they criticised Hodsgon being the manager, they were vilified by posters.

So in truth she has built a rant off a largely false premise.

Last edited:
Lucky win over Ukraine? Not at all... there is more styles of football than having more possesion.

Ukraine was resorted through long shots throughout the match and never penetrated our defence in anyway apart from their disallowed goal (which was offside anyway so it makes no difference). Despite all their ball possession, sweet passing, England had the best chances by far and we always looked more threatening when we got near their box. England looked very solid and fully deserved the win. Missing long range shots and having more possession does not win a football match, taking your chances does.

By the way, how the **** can she take the media as the view of English public? Totally ludicrous.

I have always admired Italy's way of playing and I certainly do not think they are negative, during this Euro's. But even if they were, football is more than just ball possession so I respect any type of successful football.

Last edited:
Most English people dont like the English press. You should have seen the Guardian comments after they criticised Hodsgon being the manager, they were vilified by posters.

So in truth she has built a rant off a largely false premise.

Agreed- Myself included.

Thought it was an interesting blog though.

http://www.football-italia.net/20264/english-job
Most of all, my heart sank because if England do get the win, then we will literally never hear the end of it. And I am not misusing the term literally. Still banging on about 1966 at every available opportunity, the English react to success much the same way they do to the appearance of sunshine – strip to comedy shorts, get very drunk, go extremely red and lose all sense of proportion or decency. You’ve heard of sore losers? Those are the Italians with a conspiracy theory ready for every occasion. The English, however, are sore winners, rubbing people’s faces in their every tiny victory.
This blog may seem bitter to some of you, and I agree it probably is, but the other Italians in England will know exactly what I mean. Whatever happens, it’s going to be a dark few days or even years, so let’s remember we have each other. Forzaragazzi.

This bit really annoys me as well, so what if England fans celebrate if they win, who the **** would not celebrate? Saying English fans would celebrate by gettting drunk etc is just pure naive because a lot of fans would celebrate the same from any country.

Also is she seriously saying if Italy win people in Italy would not celebrate? Stupid blog and has something seriously against English people, despite having very little knowledge of their opinions, only the media what nearly everyone hates.

My take on that blog is that she is a complete tool. If she stayed on the media agenda then i would have 100% backed her but to label all the English population like that is just wrong. Totally agree that the media over here and a lot of so called pundicts are shockingly poor but don't make us out to be like them. I agree some will believe and follow their views because unfortunately some people are sheep and believe everything they tell us hence why papers and these pundicts are still going/in jobs. By tarnishing the English population with the same brush she does with our media she is just as bad as our media for making up pure and utter bullcrap!

My take on that blog is that she is a complete tool. If she stayed on the media agenda then i would have 100% backed her but to label all the English population like that is just wrong. Totally agree that the media over here and a lot of so called pundicts are shockingly poor but don't make us out to be like them. I agree some will believe and follow their views because unfortunately some people are sheep and believe everything they tell us hence why papers and these pundicts are still going/in jobs. By tarnishing the English population with the same brush she does with our media she is just as bad as our media for making up pure and utter bullcrap!

Agreed, insulting to English public and very disappointing that they reflect the English media upon the English public. I have always had a sweet spot for Italian football and have always respected them just like anyone else.

After reading that, I was half inclined to make some kind of sexist comment, but that would be just as stereotypical as her blog. What is wrong with celebrating and reminiscing?

Anyway, got to stop this man if we want to get past the Italians:

[video=youtube;ajkXybb8fuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajkXybb8fuE[/video]

I stopped reading when I came to the bit about Andrea Pirlo not being old.

I'm sorry, but generally when footballers reach the age of 33, they're coming to the end of their career. That is a fact.

After reading that, I was half inclined to make some kind of sexist comment, but that would be just as stereotypical as her blog. What is wrong with celebrating and reminiscing?

Anyway, got to stop this man if we want to get past the Italians:

[video=youtube;ajkXybb8fuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajkXybb8fuE[/video]

I've made my logical points, the best and final way to answer her level is this:

[video=youtube;iSPc8oU7YIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSPc8oU7YIY[/video]

If she is gonna write a ridiculous stereotypicial blog, I will answer in the same way.

I've made my logical points, the best and final way to answer her level is this:

[video=youtube;iSPc8oU7YIY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSPc8oU7YIY[/video]

If she is gonna write a ridiculous stereotypicial blog, I will answer in the same way.

And here's the stereotype of your country...

[video=youtube;vcE05xRV6B0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE05xRV6B0&feature=related[/video]

And here's the stereotype of your country...

[video=youtube;vcE05xRV6B0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE05xRV6B0&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;S9pjGIFNYhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjGIFNYhY[/video]

[video=youtube;FzuMjgHSGZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuMjgHSGZs[/video]

And im sure i could do the same with italy. Or have you covieniently forgotten your ultras? That was kind of the point. She should have written an article based more on logic facts and arguments than contributing more bitter stereotypical ranting.

There is so much more to England and Italy on that she could have chosen to write about. Rather pick out the stereotypes that do not define either country. (The Family guy post is tongue in cheek, for those who havent picked that up, clearly that isnt what italians are like.)

Baldini she aint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.