The English Saviour Cometh: A Gareth Southgate Story

city4lyf

Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker on these FM-Base Stories and have loved them! This is my first foray into the world of Football Manager story writing so any feedback and ideas for how to move forward will be much appreciated!

As with most English football fans I think I have become quite disillusioned with the national team and their performances. After watching their dismal performance against Spain, looking like a non league minnow playing a premier league team in the third round of the F.A. Cup, I feel something needs to be done!

However the current crop of English players are all over hyped and nowhere near good enough to be challenging for European or World Cups. The way to solve this is to concentrate on the youth. That's where Gareth Southgate comes in. As current manager of the England Under 21's he is solely responsible for the next generation of England players, giving them international experience and making sure they are ready to take the next step to dominate for years to come.

In a strange turn of events it seems like Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the Manchester City chairman, also has a similar vision for his adopted country. So on the 1st of July 2015 Gareth Southgate was appointed manager of Manchester City whilst maintaining his position as England U21's Manager.

The job however did come with a few very strict rules;

1. Only players that qualify to play for England may be signed by Manchester City
2. No players over the age of 25 are allowed to be signed
3. Within 5 years Manchester City must have a maximum of 3 players who aren't home grown by the club (can be foreign) or don't qualify for England

Expectations 5 Years Into this save;

Manchester City

• Have won at least 3 Premier League Titles, 1 Champions League, 1 F.A Cup and 1 League Cup
  • Have a squad full of Home-Grown and English talent
  • Be in the English Managers Hall of Fame list
England U21's

• Have won at least 1 U21 championship
  • Have at least 6 players graduate to the full England set up
After the first 5 years I plan to take over the England Job when it becomes available. I can't start playing the game until Friday but thought I would begin to set the scene now. Any ideas of players to sign and how to do updates would be greatly appreciated!!

Interesting idea mate, I generally like to turn my teams All English eventually so will give this a follow