The Famous Cryuff Penalty

Cloud~

Reaction score
YouTube - Cruyff Penalty
Was looking up a bit of history and came across the Pires-Henry botch penalty, I went to find what they were actually trying to do and found the above. Is it actually valid? Personally I don't see why not but if it is I wonder why people don't do it more often.

Yeah I can't see how its not legal, as long as the ball goes foward from the penalty kick (and even that would be a major technicality). God knows how Pires ****** the Arsenal one up :p

Rik Coppens did it 25 years earlier, in 1957.

It's totally valid. The ball goes forwards from the penalty spot meaning it's back in play. The others can't be offside because they are coming from behind the ball so it's totally valid.

The reason people don't do it more often is because they could do what Pires & Henry did and you're far more likely to score from a direct shot than you are if you pass.

Personally I don't see why not but if it is I wonder why people don't do it more often.

Because penalties are not difficult, and it just increases the number of touches that can be messed up in Pires style.

The player that recieves the ball would have to be outside the box when the pass is made, so its a little bit more tricky then you'd think

Fair enough. Still would have thought people would have tried a little bit more often, I've never even seen it attempted since Pires-Henry. Pires messed it up by complete fluke, he just missed the ball.

Pretty Cool penalty kick :) But they probably shoot because they are scared of ******* up!