The Future is Bright in Red and White - An SAFC story

Sunderland AFC
Squad Review - Part 2 (Attacking Players)

View attachment 391695

Advanced Playmakers/Attacking Midfielders:

1st Choice - Will Hughes:
I signed the well known FM wonderkid from Derby at the start of my 3rd season in charge for just ?3,000,000 after he was player of the tournament in an under 20's World Cup and ever since he has been my first choice centre midfielder. I'm now constantly turning down ?40,000,000 + bids for him and at 25 he still has plenty of years left in him.

View attachment 391689View attachment 391688

1st Choice - Gabriel Iancu:
In just his second season at the club but has performed very well nearly every time he's asked to play. He's our first choice striker when we play 4-2-3-1 and also provides good cover for the inside forward position on the right.

View attachment 391687View attachment 391686

Back up - Drissa Ouattara:
When I signed Drissa on a free I only really though that he would get loaned out a couple of times then sold on for a profit. However, he got called into the squad last year when I couldn't get a loan for him and performed outstandingly and therefore has played himself into a more important role in the squad.

View attachment 391685View attachment 391684

Prospect/Backup - Dan Kohler:
The 19 year old Dane spent last year on loan at Schalke after I brought him in on the cheap from Bronby and now has come back to further his development as a backup in our first team squad.
View attachment 391683View attachment 391682

Inside Forwards:

1st Choice - Vitinho:
Signed on a free at the start of the 4th season, he somehow doesn't have a Brazil cap yet but has been outstanding for us, despite being moved to the right to accommodate Memphis Depay.

View attachment 391681View attachment 391680

1st Choice - Memphis Depay -
A one time record signing as we paid PSV ?17,000,000 for him 3 seasons ago. He took a little time to get going in his first season, but then suddenly clicked and was pivotal in our Europa League wins. He also is a set piece expert which helps to contribute plenty of goals and assists.

View attachment 391679View attachment 391678

Back Up/Prospect - Antonio Tena -
Just bought in from Mexico, he has the potential to be a world class winger and hopefully will be ready to step into Depay's shoes in a few years time, whilst being a great back up player for the time being.

View attachment 391677View attachment 391676

Strikers:

1st Choice - Miguel:
Signed for very cheap after his contract was running out, he's slotted into the first team really well and is battling Fabio Villa to be first choice striker. He's got 30+ goals in all competitions in around a season and a half and I'm hoping he'll only improve from here.

View attachment 391675View attachment 391674

Back Up - Fabio Villa:
Alternatively, Villa was signed in a big money deal from Inter for ?22,500,000 and boasts a pretty similar goalscoring record to Miguel. He's got a very good record at an international level and the competition between himself and Miguel means we should normally have at least 1 striker on form!

View attachment 391673View attachment 391672

Back Up/ Prospect - Jaroslav Giertl:
Jaroslav was another bargain at just ?475,000 as a prospect and has spent two loan spells at Crystal Palace and Everton. He got 7 Premier League goals at Everton last year but it was in the FA Cup where he impressed most, scoring 11 goals in 8 games and finishing the tournaments top goalscorer.

View attachment 391671View attachment 391670

So now that the squad report is finally finished, next update will be a September review, including an early top of the table clash against Manchester United and a triumphant return to the San Siro for Fabio Villa.

A great story! I really enjoyed reading this story and of course I'll be following for the next updates. Can't wait! :)

Sunderland AFC
September 2020
View attachment 390829

Fixtures:

View attachment 390825

We dropped points at home to United but apart from that it was a 100% record, including wins against both Inter and Besiktas in the Champions League. The win at the San Sino was a special one for ex Inter striker Fabio Villa, who bagged a brace to down his former side!

Player of the Month - Vitinho

View attachment 390827

5 goals this month, which is a great start to the season for a Brazilian!

Player Stats:

View attachment 390820

League Table:

View attachment 390818

Win our game in hand and we'll be joint top of the league with Manchester United. I think they could push us all the way for the title as they have assembled a pretty good squad...

October review up next...

God Scotty, remember when you were just starting this save, strange to see how amazing your squad is now.

Sunderland AFC

October 2020

View attachment 390436

Fixtures:

View attachment 390435

A 100% domestic record over October, including a deadly 4-0 victory away at Anfield in the Capital One Cup. 2 goals in the 74th and 76th minute from Vitinho and Depay helped turn the Tyne and Wear derby on it's head, as we came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 at St James Park. We did drop points away at Granada in the CL, however we did have a few injuries at the time and they have knocked Manchester City out of the competition this season and so are a pretty decent team!

Player of the Month - Fabio Villa

View attachment 390434

There was no real stand out performers during October but I gave the player of the month to Villa for him getting a couple of braces in the games against Liverpool and Forest.

Player Stats:

View attachment 390433

Vitinho and Villa are on top form so far this season and are making sure we score enough goals to win games, however I don't think we've really hit our attacking potential yet this season so there's room for improvement!

League Table:

View attachment 390432

We opened up a 2 point gap on United and Spurs with the victory over Newcastle, but it's all very tight at the top and one results could change everything...

Champions League Group:

View attachment 390431

Joint of the group with Granada on 7 points after 3 games played, we play them at the Stadium of Light next which will really help in shaping the group table.

Next up will be a November review, including 3 tough Premier League games against Tottenham, Everton and Chelsea!

Good results overall, maybe a disappointing draw against Granada, but overall it went well.

Surprised Fraserburgh haven't won the CL yet on your save ;)

Sunderland AFC
November and December 2020

View attachment 384810

Fixtures:

View attachment 384808

A decent couple of months where the games came thick and fast. We went unbeaten in the league over the two month period, however we did only draw games against Chelsea, Manchester City and Swansea. We did get beat at home to Inter in the Champions League with a rotated side, despite having the better of the game. Finally, we also progressed to the Capital One Cup Semi Final, where we will meet Manchester United!

Player Stats:

View attachment 384804

Fabio Villa has managed to wrestle the striker's position off of Miguel so far this season, whilst Vitinho and Iancu both have impressive goalscoring records to their name. American right back Jeff Hancock has excelled since the sale of Hugo Malo in the summer and the impressive performances of Lucas Digne at left back has Real Madrid chasing his signature!

League Table:

View attachment 384802

5 points clear at the top of the league and still unbeaten half way through the season, can we manage to go the whole season unbeaten?

Champions League Group:

View attachment 384801

Not the perfect group stage as we dropped 5 points, however we did win the group and surprisingly it was 4th seeds Grenada who joined us in the Knockout Rounds with Inter finishing 4th and dropping out of Europe completely. We've been rewarded with a very hard first Knockout Round tie against Barcelona for winning our group!

Other News:

1)
Stadium Expansion is now complete, so the Stadium of Light now has a capacity of 54,457!

View attachment 384800

2)
Another Stadium expansion has been planned, which will take the capacity to 61,027.

View attachment 384799

3) We agree a deal to bring in a young Russian winger in January for just ?3,700. We're pretty good for left wingers so I'm probably going to look to retrain him to play on the right.

View attachment 384794

Next up will be a January review. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, in the middle of Uni exams!

Sunderland AFC
January 2021
View attachment 384312

Transfers:

View attachment 384310

I spent ?18,500,000 on future first team players, with two full backs and a goalkeeper coming in. They all have very good potential and although the full backs may look pretty expensive for their age, I feel the fees will look like bargains if they progress to their potential! Also agreed a deal to bring in a young Russian attacking midfielder for free in the summer...

View attachment 384308View attachment 384307View attachment 384306View attachment 384305

Fixtures:

View attachment 384304

A great month, progressing to the Capital One Cup Final against Manchester City and moving easily into the FA Cup 5th Round. The only points dropped in the league was a hard fought draw at Anfield, meaning we're still unbeaten in the league.

Player of the Month - Antonio Tena

View attachment 384303

The 18 year old Mexican winger scored 4 goals this month, playing mainly in rotation with Depay. He'll have to step up as first choice in February as Memphis Depay has a slight injury and is out for 3 weeks.

Player Stats:

View attachment 384302

League Table:

View attachment 384301

12 points clear and although Manchester United have a game in hand, it looks as though we're heading for a 3rd straight league title!

Next up will be a February review, including a 1st time Knockout Round Champions League tie away in the Nou Camp!

Sunderland AFC
February 2021

View attachment 379491

Capital One Cup Final

View attachment 379488

The first 90 minutes of this final were as dull as can be, with only one chance in the game falling to Fabio Villa, which he spurned in the 87th minute. Luckily, as we went into extra time Manchester City had used all their subs and so when they got an injury, they had to play the rest of the game with 10 men. From there it was pretty easy for us, and we won our second Capital One Cup as manager of Sunderland.

Fixtures:

View attachment 379485

A perfect month, capped off with an excellent 3-0 victory away in the Nou Camp architected by 18 year old Mexican winger Antonio Tena, which puts us on the brink of the Champions League Quarter Final!

Player of the Month - Vitinho

View attachment 379490

The tricky Brazilian was fantastic throughout February, and the majority of our goals seemed to come through him!

Player Stats:

View attachment 379483

Will Hughes isn't having a great season by his standard, still hasn't really affected our performances though!

League Table:

View attachment 379481

I can't see us not winning the league. We will have to deal with a fixture pile up though...

Next up will be a March review, with youth intake, Champions League and FA Cup to look forward to!

Sunderland AFC
March 2021
View attachment 379347

Fixtures:

View attachment 379346

A couple of disappointing draws in the Premier League against Spurs and Forest, but we did progress to the FA Cup semi final and the Champions League quarter final with a 6-0 aggregate victory over Barcelona.

Player of the Month - Lucas Digne

View attachment 379345

The French left back was solid as always over March.

Player Stats:

View attachment 379344

League Table:

View attachment 379343

8 points clear with 8 games to go, hopefully we can wrap the title up as quickly as possible so we can focus on the Champions League and FA Cup!

Youth Intake:

View attachment 379342View attachment 379341

A decent intake with a very good looking centre half. 2 and a half star potential = star Premier League player. Put the other screenshot in to show how many foreign regens we're now producing at the club!

Next up will be a very busy April review...

Sunderland AFC
April and May 2021

View attachment 379267

FA Cup Final

View attachment 379265

Another trophy in the bag and another Wembley victory over Manchester City. We flew out of the blocks and were 3-0 up at half time. A couple of late goals had us worried but we held on for our 4th FA Cup and third trophy of the season. (COC, FA Cup and Community Shield)

Fixtures:

View attachment 379264

We lose our unbeaten Premier League record as we suffered defeats away at Chelsea and Stoke but we did go on to secure a third consecutive Premier League title! We also turned around a first leg deficit to get past Manchester United in the Champions League quarters, before beating Real Madrid in both legs of the Semi Final to set up our first Champions League Final against Bayern Munich and a chance for a 5th trophy of the season.

Player Stats:

View attachment 379262

League Table:

View attachment 379261

6 less points than last year, but I'll put that down to a more hectic schedule. A shame we couldn't get that unbeaten season though.

Next update will be the Champions League Final against Bayern Munich!

Sunderland AFC

Champions League Final 2021

View attachment 379259

Pre-Match:

View attachment 379258View attachment 379257View attachment 379256

Our first ever Champions League Final, hoping the home advantage of it being in England will help see us home!

Preview:

View attachment 379255View attachment 379254

Loads of recognisable names in the Bayern team. My big decision was to stick with the more cautious 4-3-3 (Which I normally use in big games) or to go with the 4-2-3-1 which the scout report says Bayern are most vulnerable to facing. We're massive favourites according to the bookies but I think it'll be a tight affair!

The Match:

View attachment 379252

Yes! Our first Champions League trophy is in the bag and we have completed a famous quadruple (5 if you include Community Shield). We dominated from start to finish and they scored from 1 of only 2 shots, but the only thing I really care about is the result!

Post Match:

View attachment 379248View attachment 379249View attachment 379250View attachment 379247

Next update will be an end of season review...

Last edited:

Sunderland AFC
2020-2021 - Season Review

View attachment 377897

Premier League - Winners

View attachment 377894

FA Cup - Winners

View attachment 377895

Capital One Cup - Winners

View attachment 377896

Community Shield - Winners

View attachment 377891

Champions League - Winners

View attachment 377890

Fans Player of the Year - Vitinho

View attachment 377888

Top Goalscorer - Fabio Villa (33 goals in all competitions)

View attachment 377887

Best 11:

View attachment 377886

Overall Best 11:

View attachment 377884

Other News:

1)
After a very successful season on the pitch, we now have the highest estimated value of any club in the world.
View attachment 377880

2)
We are now the most reputable club in England, and the 4th highest in the world.

View attachment 377879

3)
We sit 2nd in the club coefficient rankings.

View attachment 377878

4)As you've probably seen by the screenshots, I've decided to take the Brazilian national team job. They won the 2018 World Cup, the 2015 and 2016 Copa America's and the 2017 Confederations Cup. Looking forward we have the 2022 World Cup in 2022 and then the Copa America in 2023. I will probably just lead the team to these 2 competitions and then resign, as a short term side accomplishment to the save. This means I won't necessarily have to worry about blooding youngsters and we have many players hitting the prime years of their careers (Such as Neymar, Doria, Lucas Moura and Bernard) and a lot of quality regens. I'll probably just do updates of the tournaments but if anyone wants screenshots of my first 11 just ask...

View attachment 377865View attachment 377864View attachment 377863

Next up will be a season 2021/2022 preview, including how we got on in the Community Shield and the European Super Cup...

Sunderland AFC
Season Preview - 2021-2022

View attachment 377734

Transfers:

View attachment 377732

After winning everything last year I didn't really need to delve into the market, and so the only transfer business was to let a few players go to up our bank balance and potentially give a couple more chances to younger players. The main 2 sales were that of goalkeeper Bardi to AC Milan for ?19,000,000, whom I signed from from Inter for ?210,000 in 2014 and Drissa Outtara to Inter Milan for ?22,500,000, whom I signed on a free 2 years ago.

Community Shield:

View attachment 377729

The season opener went our way as three first half goals put Manchester United out of the tie. They did threaten a come back in the second half but we saw the game out for a third straight win of the Community Shield.

European Super Cup:

View attachment 377726

A second trophy for this season is already in the bag, as a 2-0 win over Europa League winners Porto sees us lift the European Super Cup. Only trophy left to win now it the Club World Championships and if we do win it, we'll be the holders of all the possible competitions we are entered in!

Fixtures:

View attachment 377723

We went into the season with plenty of confidence off the back of an 100% record in pre-season and we won all 3 of our Premier League games so far, scoring 12 goals and conceding just 1.

Squad:

View attachment 377715View attachment 377714

Not too much change from last year, but young Brazilian Coquinho goalkeeper will have the chance to fight Butland for the newly available first choice goalkeeper slot.

Champions League Group:

View attachment 377713

Shouldn't have too much trouble getting out of this group.

Next up will be a September review, can we continue our good start to the season?

Sunderland AFC
2021 - September - December
View attachment 374404

Fixtures:

View attachment 374403

Pretty much picked up where we left off last season. We've only dropped 5 points in the league, 2 at home to Manchester City and 3 away to Chelsea. We've also progressed to the semi finals of the Capital One Cup in our bid to win all 7 trophies this year!

Club World Championship:

View attachment 374401

Our backup side had a routine win over the Asian Champions and were even 5-0 up after 18 minutes in the semi finals. Cruzerio proved a tougher nut to crack in the final, showing great character by coming back from behind 3 times in normal time before we eventually proved to have to much quality for them in extra time, meaning we are crowned club champions of the world for the first time.

Champions League Group:

View attachment 374400

A disappointing draw away in Sweden but we are unbeaten in the group on our way to topping the group. Ajax qualified just a point behind us in 2nd and we will play Juventus in the first knockout round, a potential banana skin in the defence of our title!

Player Stats:

View attachment 374399

Vitinho is having his best season yet in a Sunderland shirt, with an unbelievably good return of 16 goals and 14 assists in 20 starts and 3 sub appearances. Miguel and Villa seem to alternate as 1st choice between seasons. 2 years ago Miguel was outperforming Villa and so was first choice, last year it was the opposite way around and this year Miguel is back on top form. Suppose it's good to have that sort of competition for places!

League Table:

View attachment 374395

Only ahead of United on GD, but we do have 4 games in hand. Barring a bad run of injuries or bad fixture congestion, retaining our title shouldn't be too difficult!

Other News:

1)
Upgrades to facilities are completed, meaning they now look like this...

View attachment 374394

2)
Here's my group for the World Cup in Qatar with Brazil. All 3 teams are decent but we still should be able to advance with the quality in the team.

View attachment 374393

Next update will be a review of how we go between January and May, with 3 trophies already in the bag how many more can we bring back to the Stadium of Light this season?

Sunderland AFC
Season Review - 2021/2022
View attachment 372601

Premier League - Winners

View attachment 372600

New points record set of 100 points!

FA Cup - Winners

View attachment 372599

Capital One Cup - Winners

View attachment 372598

Champions League - Winners

View attachment 372597

Club World Championship - Winners

View attachment 372594

European Super Cup - Winners

View attachment 372595

Community Shield - Winners

View attachment 372592

Fans Player of the Year - Antonio Tena

View attachment 372590View attachment 372591

Best 11:

View attachment 372589

Overall Best 11:

View attachment 372588

So we managed to win all 7 competitions this season and, aside from going unbeaten, it was probably the best season we could ask for. The Stadium of Light expansion to 64,500 is nearly complete and I will start begging for a new stadium shortly afterwards. The OP has been updated and my next post will be a World Cup update with Brazil. If we win it it will top off an amazing season which has already seen me rise to the top of the English hall of fame!

Sunderland AFC
Pre-season + August - October 2022

View attachment 360821

Transfers:

View attachment 360820

It was a decent window of business for us, making a £33,000,000 profit and starting to bring in a younger core of players, whilst cashing in on the slightly older players who are in the prime of their careers. We got £45,000,000 for Memphis Depay, who was an amazing player for us but at 28 and as a winger probably only had 2 or 3 years left in him and I have young Tena to replace him. We also got £32,000,000 for Iancu who we brought in for £7,000,000 a few seasons back. Finally, the other two major sales brought in £26,000,000 for Ben Davies and Samuel Umtiti.

View attachment 360813View attachment 360812View attachment 360811View attachment 360810

Onto the incomings, we brought in Korean winger Jin-Han to compete with Tena on the left wing for £30,000,000. The other two major signings were Ecuadorian attacking midfielder Guerrero for £20,000,000 from PSV and Italian centre back De Vivo from Porto for £19,000,000. De Vivo will be first choice back up at centre back, whilst Guerrero will see plenty of game time to help him reach his world class potential!

View attachment 360809View attachment 360808View attachment 360807

Fixtures:

View attachment 360805

We won't be able to repeat last season's amazing return of all 7 trophies as we lost 3-1 to Manchester United in the Community Shield, however we did win the European Super Cup against Arsenal. We've started well in the league, dropping only 4 points so far with a draw against Manchester United and a loss away to Spurs. We're also into the quarter finals of the Capital One Cup and are looking good in the Champions League, with 9 points out of 9 so far.

Player Stats:

View attachment 360801

Jin-Han has started really well as back up left winger so far, whilst first choice winger and last year's player of the year, 20 year old Antonio Tena is the top scorer so far with 8 goals in 11 starts.

League Table:

View attachment 360794

Other News:

1)
I finished 4th in the World Cup with Brazil. Was hoping to win it but was demolished by my Sunderland striker Fabio Villa in the semi final.

View attachment 360790

2) After all the expansions on the SOL have been completed, it is now at it's expansion capacity of 83,322. I'll be asking for a new stadium at every possible opportunity now, although the board need convincing that the fan base is there.

View attachment 360789

Next update will be a November review. Now that I am instant resulting all of the domestic games on my FC Inter Turku save, I wanted to get back to this save and start playing all of the games.

Sunderland AFC
November 2022
View attachment 360593

Fixtures:

View attachment 360592

We pulled out 5 big wins this month, including a 5-0 win over Forest, a 6-0 win over Valencia and a 7-0 win over QPR. Only negative of the month was the 2-1 defeat away to Man City, especially after we took the lead in the game and the fact they played the last 10 minutes with 10 men.

Player of the Month - Kane Cook

View attachment 360589

One of the few Englishmen in the squad, back up right back Cook has been solid when called upon and has been tipped as a candidate to win European Golden Boy!

Player Stats:

View attachment 360587

Fabio Villa has picked up his World Cup form in a Sunderland shirt since returning from injury, banging in quite a few goals this month.

League Table:

View attachment 360585

Sitting top ahead of Man United on GD with a game in hand, hopefully we can extend that gap over the coming months

Next up will be a December review, including the Club World Championship and a Capital One Cup quarter final against tital rivals Manchester United...

Sunderland AFC
December 2022
View attachment 359586

Fixtures:

View attachment 359585

A pretty good month for the club, winning our 3 Premier League games by comfortable margins, the highlight of which being a fantastic 5-1 away win at Anfield. We also retained our Club World Championship easily, however we did get knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the quarter final stage, losing on penalties to Man United after they equalized shortly after we went down to 10 men.

Player Stats:

View attachment 359583

Fabio Villa is continuing his amazing form after a great World Cup for him, nice to see an academy graduate Kane Cook performing so well in the first team when called upon.

League Table:

View attachment 359582

If we win our games in hand we'll have a nice lead at the top. We have to go to Old Trafford in January, which will be a big game in the title race.

Other News:

1)
Fabio Villa wins both the World player of the year and the FIFA Ballon d'Or, whilst Antonio Tena is named European Golden Boy. We also have a few players in team of the year...

View attachment 359580View attachment 359579View attachment 359578View attachment 359577

Next update will be a January review, including any transfer news...