August 2021

Leasing.com Trophy Northern Section Group D
Chesterfield 3-1 Morecambe

Yarney 26
McDonald 41
Kamwa 57

Back to cup football with the last game of the month hosting Morecambe in the Leasing.com Trophy. Dylan Wharton and Dylan Parker started in this one for some game time. I was hoping for a win, however in all honesty I am not too concerned with taking this competition too seriously.

On 26 minutes we took the lead. Josef Yarney rose highest in the box to meet Charlie Wakefield's corner and found the far corner of the net to open the scoring.

On the half hour we had a chance to double our lead. Haunstrup's long ball over the top looked to have set Bobby Kamwa free, until he was taken down by the challenge of Charlie Oliver in the box. Rekeil Pyke stepped up but put his penalty straight at Morecambe keeper O'Brien who kept it out.

However we did double our lead before the break. Good pressure on the end of the box allowed Charlie Wakefield to find McDonald, whose hopeful looking shot went under O'Brien and found the bottom left corner.

On 57 minutes we made it 3-0. Laurence Maguire found McDonald on the right wing, and his cross was met by a powerful volley from Bobby Kamwa which found the top corner from 18 yards. Not a bad way to score your first goal for the club.

Morecambe did pull one back with 9 minutes to go. Mads Roerslev broke free to head home Carlos Mendes Gomes' cross.

A tidy win to keep up appearances and 3 points in the group stage.

End of month position: 7th

Month review:

All in all a positive start. The first 3 games were poor results, with the away results at Charlton and Scunthorpe being dropped points as a result of poor finishing. However the return of Oldaker to the side really provided inspiration and we are 8 games unbeaten in all competitions with 7 straight wins since the draw at Glanford Park. In the league, we picked up 16 points of a possible 24, which is a strong start. We are currently 7th in the league at the end of the first, a point away from Oxford who occupy the last playoff spot. However with a lot of football left to play we need to stay grounded. In other news, Jack McKay has left the club for Dulwich Hamlet for a £45k fee following his transfer listing, and Wilson Carvalho and Max Hunt have both gone out on season long loans, to Gillingham and Southport respectively.

September 2021

Sky Bet League One
Fleetwood Town 0-1 Chesterfield

Kamwa 72

A return to league action saw us travelling to Highbury (no, the other one) to face 11th place Fleetwood. We named an unchanged side from the team that came from behind against Birmingham.

The game was a lacklustre affair, and we had to wait 72 minutes for a goal. Fortunately, it came for us, with Wes McDonald's deep cross finding Bobby Kamwa at the back post who got his second in as many games.

That was the only real highlight of a challenging game, however these are three points that are sure to count at the end of the season.

Sky Bet League One
Gillingham 1-5 Chesterfield

Spyrou 6, 12
Oldaker 7 (pen)
Pyke 18
Brown 58

Next up was a significant fixture for me. As my local side, I have supported Gillingham since I was 9 years old, and so a return to Priestfield as manager was very sentimental. The Gills currently sit 21st in the table and are struggling. Paul Tisdale was sacked after their last defeat to Newport, so they are currently without a manager. I am strongly considering an application for the job, however for the time being I am working for a Spireites result. Keelan O'Connell picked up a back strain in the lead up which will see him out for up to 7 weeks.

We were ahead with just 6 minutes on the clock. Harry Lewis' loose free kick was picked up by McDonald who nodded it to Pyke. He played in Anthony Spyrou who made no mistake in placing his effort in the bottom corner.

Less than 20 seconds after the restart we had a penalty. The ball was spread out wide to McDonald, who crossed for Kamwa, however the left winger was hauled over by Jack Tucker. Darren Oldaker stepped up against his old club, and sent Lewis the wrong way to make it 2-0

On 12 minutes it was 3-0. Oldaker played a deep free kick to the back post where it was met by the head of Rekeil Pyke. Lewis managed to parry his effort away, but only into the path of Spyrou who had an easy finish for his second of the game.

On 18 minutes we made it 4. Max Ehmer sold Lewis short with the backless, and he was helpless to stop Pyke putting the ball in the back of the net.

The Gills did pull one back in the 22nd minute. Jack Tucker's cross from deep found Regan Charles-Cook in the area, whose fierce volley gave Coleman no chance as it found the top corner.

On the hour we made it 5-1, with no doubt the strangest goal I have seen in my career so far. Brown played a well overhit long ball from just inside the Gillingham half over the top, which looked to be safely rolling to Harry Lewis. However the Gills keeper appeared to slip at the last minute, allowing the ball to roll past him into the net.

An emphatic result thanks to excellent attacking and a really poor defensive display from the hosts. Not necessarily the nicest feeling, but a strong 3 points.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-2 Doncaster Rovers

Pyke 34
Parker 90+1

A return to the Proact for the midweek fixture saw us welcome Doncaster, who made the short trip down the M18 from Yorkshire. The Proact was a sell out for this one, with us naming an unchanged side from the thumping of Gillingham.

It was Doncaster who took the lead on 10 minutes. The unmarked Alex MacDonald got on the end of Lewis Bate's deep free kick and put it in the back of the net for 1-0.

However we drew level on 34 minutes. Darren Oldaker picked up the ball on the left and played a deep cross for Rekeil Pyke at the near post who hammered the ball past Eastwood for his 5th of the season.

On 64 minutes Doncaster retook their lead. Lewis Bate found himself in space to receive Matty Blair's header across goal and tucked it into Coleman's near post.

In the 1st minute of added time we finally found our equaliser. Darren Oldaker picked up the ball in his own half and played a long ball over the top for second half substitute Dylan Parker to run on to. He curled the ball past Eastwood into the far corner to send the packed Proact into chaotic celebration.

It was a shame not to get 3 points with the sellout crowd, especially as it would have taken us to 10 straight wins, however we are now 12 unbeaten in all competitions, and sit 2nd in the league table at this early stage of the season.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-0 Rochdale

Pyke 49, 84

Another sellout at the Proact saw 17th place Rochdale the visitors this time. They hadn't won in their last 5, so I was hoping for 3 points to get back to winning ways and continue our unbeaten run. Fit again Alex Jakubiak returned to the bench, and Haunstrup replaced the suspended Tsaroulla.

An uneventful first half saw neither side carve any real opportunities. Amongst half chances, Spyrou had a shot saved from close range by Douglas, whilst Haunstrup's slip allowed Fabio Carvalho in, only to drag his shot wide.

However 4 minutes into the second half we took the lead. Charlie Wakefield played a lovely ball to Brown in space. He found McDonald, who teed up Rekeil Pyke to fire in from 10 yards to take the lead against his former employers.

In the last 15 minutes or so, Rochdale began to put pressure on. However we held out and doubled our lead with 6 minutes to go. Charlie Wakefield's wide free kick found Pyke at the back post, who nodded home his second of the game to secure all 3 points.

Carabao Cup Third Round
Aston Villa 2-1 Chesterfield

Spyrou 46

Next up was our cup visit to the midlands to face Premier League Aston Villa. We had a fully fit side to pick from, and with Villa in the bottom half of the table, we were hoping for an upset. The tired James Brown was replaced by Nikola Tavares, with Welch-Hayes having twisted his knee in the buildup. 2,749 Spireites made the trip to Birmingham for this one.

We had the first real chance of the game. With 12 minutes on the clock, Oldaker's long ball set Spyrou free but his low drive was tipped wide by Areola.

2 minutes later, Coleman got down well at the other end of the pitch to deny Wesley.

However on 17 minutes the hosts took the lead. James Bree's excellent ball found Andre Gray in space. His first effort was parried by Coleman but he made it first to the rebound to put Villa in front.

On 25 minutes it was nearly 2, when Grealish turned Yarney and ran clear, only to find the foot of the post with his effort.

A minute into the second half we found our leveller. Pressure at the back was well dealt with by the defence, and they moved the ball out to Oldaker. His long ball found the run of Spyrou who made no mistake, slotting the ball past Areola to equalise. His 50th goal in a Chesterfield shirt, and not a bad time to get it.

However we were behind again on 66 minutes. From Grealish's wide free kick, James Bree headed onto the bar, and John McGinn beat Spyrou to the rebound to poke Villa back ahead.

That was enough to give Villa the win. Despite the result I'm very happy with the performance, having given a Premier League side an even game for the most part.

Sky Bet League One
Coventry City 0-1 Chesterfield

Spyrou 71

For our last away game of the September schedule, we headed to the Ricoh Arena to take on 4th place Coventry. Jakubiak returned to the starting lineup at the expense of Wes McDonald, and James Brown replaced Nikola Tavares.

Coventry had the better of a tepid first half. Josh Pask went closest when he headed a free kick narrowly wide, but we went in goalless at the break.

However we came back into the game and took the lead in the 71st minute. Pyke and McDonald put pressure on Pask and McCallum at the back, and the latter's pass back to Coventry keeper Palmer was intercepted by Spyrou, who nipped in to score his 10th goal of the season.

That was enough to hold on to, and we come away with an excellent 3 points from a very challenging fixture. It's enough to put us top of the pile on goal difference, but Hull have a game in hand over us.

September 2021

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-1 Bolton Wanderers

Spyrou 12
Oldaker 89

Our final fixture of September saw us welcome bottom of the league Bolton to the Proact. I was hoping for a repeat of the 4-1 win in the cup last month that kick started our season. With Laurence Maguire and James Brown both suspended, Tavares and Welch-Hayes replaced them in the starting lineup.

It took us 12 minutes to take the lead. Spyrou got on to the end of Wes McDonald's flick over the top and found the bottom left corner to put the Spireites in front.

However we couldn't take our chances, and on 48 minutes Bolton were level. Ali Crawford's free kick hit the post and rebounded to Wilson-Esbrand, who had an empty net to head the ball into.

Bolton started to come into the game after that, and both Eddie Brown and Liam Higgins spurned guilt edged opportunities.

In the 89th minute we retook our lead. Darren Oldaker's 25 yard free kick found the top corner to put us back in front.

Things got worse for Bolton in the 2nd minute of injury time. As Jakubiak burst away down the right, goal scorer Wilson-Esbrand clattered him. He was already on a yellow, but the referee chose to produce a straight red, deeming the challenge a professional foul.

A let off with the result in a game we should have won well, but it is 3 points nevertheless with all the euphoria of a late winner

End of month position: 1st

Month review:

A fantastic month to continue our good form. We picked up 16 of a possible 18 points from our league fixtures, only dropping points in the home clash with Doncaster and are currently 2 points clear at the top of the league, pending Hull's game in hand. With only a quarter of the season played, we are 7 wins away from the 50 point mark that will usually ensure safety in this league, and are being dubbed as surprise promotion contenders. That being said, there is still a lot of football to be played and we have to keep our concentration. We are now 11 League games unbeaten since our defeat to Hull on the second match day of the season, and our only defeat since then has been to Premier League opposition. I applied for the Gillingham job just prior to our 5-1 thumping of them, and didn't pass the application process. Whilst I would have taken the job at the club I consider home, it is clear from their performance in our victory that new boss Michael Appleton has a lot of work to do there. Oddly, performance wise, the Bolton game was probably the most disappointing of the month, as I expected a comfortable win. That being said, it's very positive when your worst games are winning ones. Off the field, I picked up my third Manager of the Month award, which I am very humbled by, whilst my player of the month, Darren Oldaker, signed terms on a new 2 year deal keeping him at the Proact until 2023. Ex Manchester United forward Andy Cole has arrived as a coach, whilst David Timms has joined the scouting team and Sarah Carr joins the physio team.

October 2021

Sky Bet League One
Portsmouth 3-3 Chesterfield

Maguire 38
Jakubiak 44
Spyrou 82

Our first game of October saw us travel to Fratton Park to take on 13th place Portsmouth. Luke Coddington picked up a hernia in the week, which will keep him out for up to a month, so young Dylan Wharton came in to the squad. Bobby Kamwa's poor recent form sees him dropped to the bench with Rowley replacing him, and Charlie Wakefield picking up the responsibility on the left wing.

We had a nightmare start, Sammie Szmodics took the ball down the right, and picked out Erhan Oztumer in the middle who slotted his effort in after only 20 seconds.

We were nearly level on 11 minutes. Rekeil Pyke worked his way free of the defence, but saw his effort tipped onto the post by MacGillivray.

However on 20 minutes it was 2-0. Erhan Oztumer again the scorer, this time finding the top corner with a free kick from just outside the box.

We pulled one back 7 minutes before the break. Oldaker's wide free kick caused all kinds of problems in the box, with numerous blocks and shots in the 6 yard box until Laurence Maguire stuck his toe out to poke the ball in the back of the net for a lifeline.

We pushed forward for what was left of the half, and managed to pull level just before the break. Bryan played a long back pass to MacGillivray, but the keeper was beaten to the ball by Jakubiak, who rounded him before putting the ball into the empty net.

Portsmouth started the second as they started the first. 3 minutes in, half time sub Ellis Harrison rose highest in the box to put Oztumer's corner into the back of the net.

We weathered Pompey pressure throughout the second half, and had our reward on 82 minutes. Wes McDonald slotted the ball through to Anthony Spyrou who fired his effort under MacGillivray and into the back of the net for 3-3.

On 87 minutes we had a great chance to take all 3 points. MacGillivray rolled the ball to Burgess, who was caught off guard by Jakubiak, however the striker could only drag his shot wide.

However it would end a point apiece, which is a fair result in truth. Hull dropped points with a last minute own goal meaning they drew 2-2 with Salford, keeping us top on goal difference.

Hull City p0-0 Chesterfield

Next up was a return to the Leasing.com Trophy, where we visited the KC Stadium to meet Hull. Whilst I'm not usually too fussed about this competition, I was keen to win this one for the psychological advantage considering that we are currently neck and neck with Hull in the league table. We did make a shake up to the starting line up though, with Spyrou, Yarney, Brown, Jakubiak and Oldaker all rested and Parker, Lapslie, Conlan, Mandeville and Haunstrup earning starts.

Both sides threw punches in the opening minutes. A Watkins shot hit the post after 20 seconds, before minutes later Wes McDonald headed onto the Hull frame with a goalmouth scramble ensuing before George Long took hold of the ball.

Tom Lapslie was taken off on 33 minutes with suspected pulled wrist ligaments and replaced by Charlie Wakefield.

3 minutes into the second half we hit the post again, this time Rekeil Pyke's low drive on the turn striking the woodwork.

However, neither side could find a breakthrough and we found ourselves in a penalty shootout.

Liam Mandeville was first to step up, finding the bottom corner with aplomb. Toral took the first Hull kick, and Coleman managed to get a hand to it but couldn't keep it out. Alex Jakubiak stepped up to send Long the wrong way with his kick, before George Honeyman blasted home for the Tigers. It was a case of anything you can do, with Rekeil Pyke next to find the back of the net with his effort, before Robbie McKenzie beat Coleman. Joe Rowley put us back in front, before Batty quickly levelled things up. Bobby Kamwa was next, and he sent Long the wrong way, before Keane Lewis-Potter put his effort in the bottom corner to keep Hull in the shootout. Charlie Wakefield then put his effort straight down the middle, beating Long, and his Hull counterpart Hoogewerf put his effort well out of Coleman's reach. Brandon Haunstrup then found the bottom corner with his left footed effort, before Jacob Greaves found the net to make it 7-7. Laurence Maguire was next to step up, but saw his effort saved by the outstretched left arm of Long. Tafazolli stepped up on the match point, and found the bottom corner to give Hull the win.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 3-0 Sunderland

Kamwa 1
Tavares 35
O'Connell 87

A return to an again sold out Proact saw us hosting 17th place Sunderland. Our last meeting with Sunderland was a 2-1 defeat at the Proact in preseason of 2019 - unofficially my first home game, so I was hoping for a win here to show how far we have come.

We had the perfect start with just 25 seconds on the clock. Spyrou took a shot on the edge of the box which was blocked to Oldaker, his shot was then blocked again but rebounded to Bobby Kamwa who lashed an effort from 22 yards into the bottom corner.

James Brown was then forced off with injury and replaced by Nikola Tavares, with captain Yarney moving to right back. He has sprained his knee ligaments and is likely to be out for up to 7 weeks.

10 minutes later the substitute made his mark. Wakefield's corner was headed away by Morris, but only to the edge of the box where Tavares sent a looping header over the keeper and into the back of the net

We made it 3-0 on 87 minutes. Keelan O'Connell has struggled to feature due to injury, but after coming on as a substitute, he got on the end of Alex Jakubiak's cross to send a half volley into the top corner for his first Spireites goal.

Sky Bet League One
Salford City 2-3 Chesterfield

Jakubiak 4, 69
Oldaker 82

On the road again, this time to the Peninsula Stadium to visit 23rd place Salford. With the hosts struggling at present, I was hoping for a comfortable win from this one.

After 4 minutes we took the lead. Joe Rowley's cross to the near post from the right was turned in by Alex Jakubiak with minimal trouble.

Salford hit back immediately and were level within 2 minutes. Dwight Gayle laid the ball off to Tom Walker, who made his way into the box and found the bottom left corner.

15 seconds into the second half Salford were ahead. A long ball over the top found the unchecked run of Dwight Gayle, and he slipped the ball past Coddington to make it 2-1.

On 69 minutes we drew level. Darren Oldaker spread the ball to second half sub Keelan O'Connell on the left, and he put a low drive across goal which Jakubiak was in prime position to tap in

On 82 minutes we restored our lead. Darren Oldaker's wonderful 30 yard free kick glanced the bar on its way into the back of the net for his 5th of the season and a potential winner.

As it turned out, that was the winning goal. We made it harder than I would have liked but showed good character to come from behind to take 3 points

October 2021

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 5-1 Lincoln City

Kamwa 42
Pyke 48, 58
Bostwick 72 (OG)
Jakubiak 90+3

Next up was a home fixture against 14th place Lincoln City. Rekeil Pyke started against his former club, partnered by Spyrou and Wes McDonald's excellent training performances earned him a start ahead of Jakubiak.

We were all over them in the first half and created a number of chances, but had to wait until the 42nd minute to take the lead. Lincoln failed to clear a cross from Yarney on the right, and a goalmouth scramble ensued, until Bobby Kamwa managed to poke the ball across the line. It was scrappy as anything, but it doesn't matter how they go in as long as they do.

On 48 minutes we made it 2-0, with Rekeil Pyke coming back to haunt Lincoln. Starting from the back, Coleman played the ball out to Wakefield, who gave it to Oldaker. He played a long ball over the top for the run of Pyke, who brought the ball down with his chest before unleashing an unstoppable half volley into the top corner from the edge of the box. Potential goal of the season winner there.

10 minutes later it was 3-0, with another spectacular goal from Rekeil Pyke. Nice build up play from Oldaker, Wakefield and Spyrou saw the latter tee up Pyke on the edge of the box, who curled the ball into the top right corner.

On 72 minutes it was 4-0, thanks to a bizarre own goal. Wakefield's long ball forward found Spyrou, who looked suspiciously offside. However there was no flag, and he laid the ball off to O'Connell, who played his cross in from the left. It was too far ahead of Spyrou, but fell to Foulds, whose clearance was straight into the face of his colleague Bostwick, who was helpless as the ball bounced off him into the net.

Lincoln pulled one back in the 83rd minute (well, we returned their favour). Politic played a deep free kick into the path of Chapman, and his header across goal was straight at Tavares, who could do little as the ball bounced off his knee into the back of the net.

In the 3rd minute of injury time we added a 5th of the day. After Lincoln committed men forward for a corner, McDonald got it away on the counter to Wakefield. He found Jakubiak who beat the last man and made his way from the half way line to the edge of the box, where he slotted the ball past Vickers and in with the aid of the post.

Another big win at home in front of a sold out Proact, which seems to be a regular occurrence at the moment! Hull drew 1-1 against Portsmouth, so we have now extended our points gap at the top to 4, as well as now being 15 games unbeaten in the league.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-1 Peterborough United

Pyke 33

Our final October fixture was another home game, this time facing 20th place Peterborough. I was hoping for another strong win at Fortress Proact against another of the league's struggling sides. We named an unchanged side from the thumping of Lincoln.

An uneventful start to the game saw Wes McDonald go off with a potential hamstring pull on the 25th minute to be replaced by Alex Jakubiak.

We struggled to break down a stubborn Posh defence, with Bobby Kamwa coming closest on the half hour when he volleyed Pyke's flicked header onto the post and away.

We finally took the lead minutes later. After a corner was cleared, Oldaker picked the ball up on the edge of the box, and played a pass to Pyke, who rifled his shot on the turn into the bottom corner for his 10th goal of the season.

The Posh drew level on the hour. Brandon Haunstrup lost possession deep in the Peterborough half and looked to have been caught out of position by Tasdemir's run. Oldaker did well to get back and cover, but only for the winger to pull the ball back for Rhys Bennett, whose cross set up a simple finish for Ivan Toney.

The game ended 1-1. A disappointing result as we deserved the win on the balance of play, but ultimately couldn't break down a strong Peterborough defence and when we did get through, Christy Pym was in fantastic form.

Month review:

Another very good month. We picked up 11 points of a possible 15, scoring 15 goals whilst conceding only 5. The dropped points at Portsmouth and Peterborough were particularly tough to swallow, but it is good to see that we are maintaining fantastic form, with us now being 16 games unbeaten in the league. We remain top of the league, with the dropped points against Peterborough having allowed Hull to reduce the gap to 2 points with a game in hand. Ultimately, we are far exceeding expectations, and if we can regularly keep this form up, we are very realistic promotion contenders based on our current form. We have turned the Proact into a fortress, having lost only one league game there in 18 months, and it is good to see it regularly packed to the rafters. Off the field, I have approached the board about an expansion to the stadium given the attendances, however they have stated that it is not financially viable at present. The draw for the first round of the FA Cup has taken place, and we have fellow League One side Doncaster away at the beginning of next month to contend with.

Last edited:
November 2021

FA Cup First Round
Doncaster Rovers 1-3 Chesterfield

Pyke 31
Jakubiak 72, 78

The first round of the FA Cup saw us travel to the Keepmoat to face fellow League One outfit Doncaster. Rovers are currently 4th in League One and just 6 points behind us so we knew we would need to be at our best to progress to the second round, however I did want to win this one to get the last laugh over Karl Robinson, following a spat in the press conference after the 2-2 draw earlier in the season. We did however have the fitness advantage, with Doncaster having played in midweek, beating Hull. In other news, that game means that Hull have played their game in hand and remain 2 points behind us at the top.

It was the hosts who took the lead on 10 minutes. Andy Cannon's free kick found Ben Whitehouse at the back post who nodded in to make it 1-0.

We were level on the half hour though. A long ball from Yarney found Spyrou, who flicked the ball through to Pyke. One on one, he slid the ball under Eastwood to equalise.

On 72 minutes we took the lead. Rekeil Pyke's through ball putting Jakubiak one on one, and the striker beat Eastwood in the battle of wits, slipping the ball into the far corner to put us in front for his 10th of the season.

6 minutes later we had sealed the win. Yarney's long ball went all the way through to Jakubiak, who blasted his effort from the edge of the area into the top corner.

A fantastic win against one of the stronger sides in the draw, and we will face League Two's Carlisle United away in the second round.

Chesterfield 3-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers U23

Jakubiak 48
Pyke 60
McDonald 90+5

Our final group fixture in the Leasing.com Trophy saw us welcome bottom of the group Wolves' reserve side to the Proact. Whilst I am not fussed about this competition, I did want to progress here, with a win being enough to confirm progression to the second round, which will meet the board's expectations. Injury plagued Coddington returned to the side for his first appearance of the season.

The first half was fairly uneventful. Alex Jakubiak had a goal rightly ruled out for offside after 7 minutes, and he hit the woodwork one on one 5 minutes later. Just before half time, Sondergaard had to divert Pyke's goal bound header on to the bar, and we went in 0-0 at the break.

3 minutes into the second 45 we took the lead. Darren Oldaker's long ball finding Jakubiak in space, who dinked the ball past Sondergaard and into the back of the net.

On the hour we made it 2-0. Welch-Hayes long ball looked to be going out before Jakubiak managed to catch up with it at the byline. He flicked the ball back to Kamwa, who played a first time cross across the face of goal for Pyke to poke it in at the back post.

In the 5th and final minute of added time, we made it 3-0. Nick Tsaroulla's deep cross found McDonald unmarked at the back post. His header appeared to be straight at Sondergaard, but the keeper parried it into the back of the net.

The win means we have qualified for the Northern second round where we will travel to Scunthorpe, meeting the board's expectations.

Sky Bet League One
Newport County 0-4 Chesterfield

Jakubiak 7
Oldaker 61
Spyrou 69, 90+2

Next up was a return to league football with a trip to Rodney Parade, home of 13th placed Newport. Newport were of course promoted alongside us last season, and we lost on our last visit there, so I was hoping for a win to keep our excellent form going.

We took the lead on 7 minutes. Yarney made his way forward down the right, and played a cross from deep, finding Jakubiak who tucked it inside the near post.
We had to wait until the hour to double the lead with a goal of the season contender from Darren Oldaker. His 30 yard free kick beat Townsend, flying into the top left corner.

Less than 10 minutes later it was 3-0. Good pressure on the edge of the box allowed Jakubiak to **** the ball through to Spyrou, who powered it into the back of the net.

We weren't done there. 2 minutes into added time, Spyrou added his second. On the counter, Oldaker played a long ball over the top, which Spyrou ran onto from the halfway line, before beating Townsend with a placed shot into the bottom corner.

A brilliant 3 points on the road and clean sheet against a strong side. Hull don't play until midweek, so we are now 5 points clear pending their result away at Coventry.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 3-2 Mansfield Town

McDonald 4
Kamwa 50
Jakubiak 74

A return to the Proact saw a local derby with 13th place Mansfield. I wanted nothing but a win from this one as my first derby of my career. Myles Welch-Hayes picked up a minor knock in the buildup, so he was replaced by Tavares.

However it was the visitors who took the lead after just 2 minutes. CJ Hamilton lost Yarney, and picked up Willem Tomlinson's through ball on the edge of the box before placing his effort past Coleman.

However 2 minutes later we were level. Bobby Kamwa stole the ball off Sadou Diallo's toes and cut his run inside across the box. He spread the ball to Yarney, who teed up Wes McDonald for the latter to curl the ball past Ingram into the back of the net for his 5th of the season.

5 minutes into the second half we took the lead. Nick Tsaroulla's long ball found Bobby Kamwa in behind, who made his way into the box unchallenged before tucking home at the near post for his 5th of the campaign.

On 74 minutes we wrapped up the points. Alex Jakubiak replaced Spyrou from the bench, and his first impact on the game was to get on the end of another long ball from Tsaroulla, before sliding his shot past Ingram into the bottom corner.

Mansfield did pull one back with 5 minutes to go. Hayden White's half volley from outside the box finding Coleman's bottom corner to make things tense.

Despite 6 minutes added time we held on for the 3 points and the bragging rights!

Sky Bet League One
Oxford United 1-2 Chesterfield

Spyrou 64, 90+4

3 days later we were back on the road, facing 6th place Oxford at the Kassam. Fit again James Brown returned to the starting line up at the expense of Yarney.

We were behind early again. Fraser Hornby was first to a long clearance by Ryan Ashley and slotted the ball past Coleman after only 8 minutes.

After a poor opening hour of football, we equalised in the 64th minute. James Brown played a long ball into the path of Spyrou, who slotted the leveller past Matthews for his 15th of the season.

However we had to wait until the 4th minute of added time to take all 3 points. Wakefield's corner was headed away by Astley, only as far as Anthony Spyrou who volleyed his second of the game into the top of the corner to steal the points with the last kick of the game, confirming that we are now 19 games unbeaten in the league and 6 points ahead of Hull who have a game in hand.

FA Cup 2nd Round
Carlisle United 1-0 Chesterfield

We ended the month with our FA Cup tie at Carlisle, with our first visit back to Brunton Park since sealing our promotion there last season with a 2-1 win. With the prize of a bumper draw in the 3rd round, I was hoping to progress from this one. Luke Coddington made his return to the first team to get some minutes under his belt.

It took until 5 minutes after the break for the opener. John Mellish played a long ball which Hallam Hope got to first, before firing home for a Carlisle lead.

That would be the only goal in a game where we were really off colour. A hugely disappointing defeat, however focus will return to league football in December.

Month review:

In all, a very positive month. We picked up maximum points from our 3 league games, with the highlights being the 3-2 derby win over Mansfield and the last minute winner away at Oxford. The FA Cup win over Doncaster was fantastic, against another side doing very well in our league, however the defeat to Carlisle was hugely disappointing with us failing to create much and spurning the few chances we did have. Off the field, 16 goal top scorer Anthony Spyrou has signed terms on a new 3 year deal, whilst under 18s coach Chris McCann has left for Stoke City. His vacancy has been filled by Ashley Foyle.

December 2021

Sky Bet League One
Accrington Stanley 0-2 Chesterfield

Spyrou 34, 60

A return to league action saw us travel to recently relegated Accrington Stanley (who are they) who currently occupy 16th place in the table. I was keen for a win from this one to start December right and make it 20 league games unbeaten. Wes McDonald and Joe Rowley were both ruled out through illness, whilst Pyke picked up a tight thigh making him a doubt. Mandeville replaced McDonald on the right whilst Alex Jakubiak came in for Pyke.

We had the better of the first half, but had to wait until the 34th minute for the opener. Liam Mandeville's through ball played Spyrou free, who slotted his effort past Evtimov into the far corner.

A minute later it was almost 2-0. Spyrou got onto the end of Tsaroulla's cross, but saw his first effort come back off the near post, before Evtimov tipped his second helping behind for a corner.

On the hour it was 2-0. Spyrou beat Hughes in a footchase to get on the end of James Brown's long ball, before lashing his effort into the top far corner from a tight angle.

An excellent 3 points that sees us over the 50 point mark as we approach the halfway stage of the season, and extends our lead at the top to 7 points.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-0 Crawley Town

Spyrou 16

Our first home game of December was the visit of 21st place Crawley. With this being game 23 and the halfway mark in the season, I wanted another win against a struggling side to bookend the first half of the campaign.

We had an excellent start, taking the lead after 16 minutes. Charlie Wakefield's long ball from inside his own half was expertly brought down by Spyrou. His first shot was parried by Jones, but the rampant striker made it first to the rebound and buried it in the back of the net.

The game struggled to get going after the initial flurry and was a fairly stop start affair. However it is a huge 3 points to end the first half of the season. It was hardly a classic, but if we do find ourselves in the mix at the end of the season it is these kinds of points that will count hugely. To make matters better, Hull's 1-0 home defeat to Sunderland means that we are now 10 points clear at the top.

Leasing.com Trophy Northern Section Second Round
Scunthorpe United 2-1 Chesterfield

Kamwa 1

A return to the Leasing.com Trophy saw us travel to Glanford Park for a tie against Scunthorpe. With the Iron in the League One playoff places, I knew we were into a tough game, and whilst I can really take or leave this competition, I am happy to give it a go for a realistic chance at some silverware. Luke Coddington started between the sticks whilst Tom Harrison came in for the rested Yarney, Lapslie came in for Oldaker and Dylan Parker partnered Pyke up front.

We only had to wait 50 seconds for the opener. Mandeville played in Pyke, who teed up Bobby Kamwa. His initial shot was parried by Watson, but only onto the inside f the post, where it rolled slowly over the line to open the scoring.

The second half again started brightly, however it was Scunthorpe who got the opening chance early on. Jerry Yates was felled in the box by Tavares for a penalty to the home side. Matty Lund stepped up and powered an effort straight down the middle to level the scores.

Scunthorpe had the better of the rest of the half, and earned another penalty with 10 minutes to go. A long ball found Yates free on the counter, and he was tripped by Harrison for another spot kick. Lund stepped up again and sent Coddington the wrong way to make it 2-1.

A disappointing manner of defeat, with sloppy errors leading to the penalties. However we can now fully focus on the league.

Sky Bet League One
Bolton Wanderers 0-2 Chesterfield

Kamwa 28
Oldaker 44 (pen)

A return to league football saw us travel to 23rd place Bolton. Their place in the table somewhat belies their form, having had the 12 point deduction. However, without the deduction they would find themselves only just outside the relegation zone, so I was hoping for a repeat of the 4-1 victory on our last visit to the UoB Stadium.

Laurence Maguire's return from suspension was marred after 15 mintues when he was forced off with a minor calf injury to be replaced by Nikola Tavares.

However on 28 minutes we took the lead. Rekeil Pyke's deep cross found the head of Kamwa who scored his second in as many games.

On the verge of half time we had a great chance to double our lead. Oldaker's free kick into the box looked to be destined for the head of Nikola Tavares, but the centre back was hauled to the floor by Brockband prompting the referee to award a penalty. Oldaker stepped up from 12 yards and sent Alnwick the wrong way with a powerful low drive.

We nearly made it 3-0 on the hour, with Charlie Wakefield seeing his low drive from range cannoning back off the post after leaving Alnwick stranded.

A dominating display where we were unlucky not to score and another valuable 3 points to see us into the busy Christmas period.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-1 Coventry City

McDonald 43

Our Boxing Day fixture away at Rochdale was postponed to the New Year due to a waterlogged pitch, so next up was the visit of 7th place Coventry to the Proact for our final game of 2021. I was hoping to end the year on a high, especially as we have only lost two games at the Proact throughout the year, against Chelsea in the FA Cup and Hull City in the early stages of this season.

Despite having the better of the opening half, we had to wait until just before the break to take the lead. Darren Oldaker floated a through ball over the top to find McDonald in space, who had time to slide the ball under Palmer and into the back of the net.

However, the visitors equalised with 15 minutes to go. Jones' free kick was met by the head of Keelan O'Connell, who headed onto his own bar before Zain Westbrooke tapped home the rebound.

A disappointing point from a game that we really should have killed off, however it means we are now 23 league games unbeaten going into the New Year, having only lost one league game at the Proact in 2021.

Month review:

Another very positive month where we took 10 points of a possible 12 from our league fixtures. We remain top of the league, now 8 points clear of Hull in second with a game in hand after the postponed fixture with Rochdale. We haven't looked quite as ruthless, especially in the striker department in the last few games, however if we are still picking up points whilst in a sticky patch I am happy. Off the field, David Francis has agreed to invest more funds in improving our youth recruitment. I also picked up successive Manager of the Month gongs for both November and December, for a very happy end to the year.

January Recruitment

Players Out

Luke Conlan has agreed terms on an end of contract move to Crusaders which will take effect from July 2022, after failing to break into the first team squad of late.
Liam Mandeville made a deadline day move to Notts County on an £11.25k deal. Whilst a good servant to the club, Liam has struggled to break into the first team of late and the move is in the best interests of both club and player.

Players In

Dan Thomas

Our first addition of the January window was 18 year old left back Dan Thomas from Barry Town United on a £48.5k deal. Dan comes highly recommended as one for the future by the scouting team and boasts strong athleticism and technical ability. Thomas will wear the number 27 shirt this season.

Mattia Ballabio

IMG_0047.JPG

Next to arrive at the Proact was Italian central midfielder Mattia Ballabio from Inter Milan on a £150k deal. 18 year old Matti comes with a huge amount of intrigue and potential as a future star for the Spireites. Having arrived from the Inter academy, he boasts excellent passing, ball control and technical skills and is expected to make a challenge for a first team spot despite his young age. Ballabio will wear the number 21 shirt this season.

Joe Ward

IMG_0046.JPG

Our third and final signing was 26 year old right midfielder Joe Ward from Championship outfit MK Dons on a £30.5k deal. Joe is primarily a right winger but can play on either wing and at right back if needs be and has experience of promotion from League One with the Dons last season. Joe arrives to provide strong cover for Wes McDonald on the right and as a squad player. Ward will wear the number 31 shirt this season.

January 2022

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 0-2 Portsmouth

2022 began with the visit of 7th place Portsmouth to the Proact. I was hoping for a win to start the year right, however with Portsmouth unbeaten in their last five I knew we were in for a tough game.

We started the game brightly, however Pompey took the lead on the half hour mark. Raposo’s corner from the right was flicked on Burgess onto the head of Paul Downing to nod the visitors in front from close range..

We pushed forward throughout the remainder of the game, with MacGillivray making good saves to deny Pyke and Spyrou, before the latter hit the bar from range with 10 minutes to go.

However Pompey sealed the points in the first minute of injury time. Bryan’s free kick from deep found Brereton in behind, and he made no mistake in slotting past Coleman to give us a forgettable start to the New Year.

Our first defeat at the Proact since our opening home fixture against Hull, however their goalless draw with Salford at least maintains some breathing space at the top.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-0 Oxford United

McDonald 36

Next up was the visit of 9th place Oxford United to a sold out Proact, hoping to return to winning games.

We started slowly, however took the lead on 36 minutes. Yarney’s cross was cleared but only as far as Wes McDonald, who took a touch to create space before drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

That was the only goal in what was a lacklustre attacking performance, but a solid one at the back.

Sky Bet League One
Rochdale 0-0 Chesterfield

Our first away fixture of 2022 was a visit to 12th place Rochdale for the postponed Boxing Day fixture. New signing Mattia Ballabio came in to make his debut replacing Charlie Wakefield in the middle of the park

It turned out to be a bore draw. Ballabio went close with a shot from range midway through the first half, before Rekeil Pyke was denied another goal against his former employers by a fantastic Brandon Douglas save at the death.

However, we would leave Spotland frustrated at dropped points in our game in hand

Sky Bet League One
Hull City 1-0 Chesterfield

A top of the table clash saw us travel to the KC to face 2nd place Hull. With Hull 8 points behind us on 55 points to our 63, and having beaten us earlier in the season, a win was crucial to really state our intentions in the title race.

We started in the worst possible way, with Hull taking the lead after 9 minutes. A deep cross from Andre Wisdom found Tom Eaves unmarked at the near post to flick the ball past the helpless Coleman.

After the initial wobble, we defended well, however could not create any meaningful chances and lacked quality in the final third.

The game would end that way. A disappointing defeat in a 6 pointer which sees Hull close the gap to 5 points. Our next opponents, 3rd place Charlton’s 2-0 win at home to Gillingham means that they are now 6 points behind us.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-0 Charlton Athletic

Spyrou 26

Next up was another huge game with a home tie against 3rd place Charlton. With the South Londoners 6 points behind us with a game in hand, a win for them would see them 3 points behind us and putting real pressure on our place on top of the pile. Mattia Ballabio picked up a groin strain in the build up which will see him ruled out for up to 4 weeks, so he was replaced by Charlie Wakefield.

We started the brighter of the two sides. Darren Oldaker saw a shot from outside the box hit the bar on its way over, after Wes McDonalds close range effort in the opening minute was diverted wide by a last minute Lockyer block.

On 26 minutes the pressure told as we took the lead. Oldaker spread the ball right to McDonald, who played a low ball from the byline into the feet of Anthony Spyrou who made no mistake in turning home his long awaited 20th goal of the season

We nearly made it 2-0 five minutes before the break. A delicious delivery from Darren Oldaker’s wide free kick found Spyrou at the back post, however his header hit the woodwork before going behind.

The second half saw much less action - the only chance of note being a 28 yard free kick from Oldaker which looks destined for the top corner before Phillips diverted it past the post.

However we held Charlton at bay for a strong 1-0 win and a very valuable 3 points. To make matters better, Hull conceded a late equaliser at Gillingham, meaning that our gap is restored to 7 points.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-0 Scunthorpe United

Jakubiak 20
Brown 62

Our penultimate fixture of January saw us host 8th place Scunthorpe at the Proact. I was hoping for 3 points to follow up on the Charlton result.

After a quiet start, we took the lead on 20 minutes. After fantastic work on the break, Spyrou scooped up an overhit cross and drove the ball back across goal for Jakubiak to tap his 15th of the season into an empty net.

However the visitors nearly levelled on the verge of half time. A mishit volley by Gwargis fell to Temenuzhkov in the six yard box, but Coleman reacted brilliantly to tip his effort over the bar, before catching Ntlhe’s header with ease fro the resulting corner.

Three minutes into the second half, Scunthorpe were down to 10 men. After defending a free kick, Charlie Wakefield brought the ball away on the counter attack before being clattered by the Iron’s left back Luke Daley, who saw his second yellow card of the game.

On 55 minutes we had a lucky escape. Lambert’s corner found Jordan Clarke unmarked in the middle, and his header beat Coleman but was cleared off the line by Dan Thomas.

However just after the hour we made it 2-0. A fantastic through ball from sub Joe Rowley found James Brown, who lashed the ball into the far corner.

A fantastic win to make it 2 on the bounce. Better still, Hull drew again with Accrington which extends the gap at the top to 9 points

Sky Bet League One
Bradford City 2-1 Chesterfield

Kamwa 60

Our final game of the January schedule saw us travel to Valley Parade to take on 16th place Bradford. With the Bantams struggling for form I was hoping for 3 points to build our own.

Another slow start to the game saw the first chance fall to the hosts on 20 minutes. Good work down the right wing saw a deep cross find Pritchard at the back post, only for his effort to be kept out by a strong parry by Coleman.

However 10 minutes later, Pritchard did put Bradford ahead. A well worked move through the middle saw Keyendrah Simmonds release him with the through ball to **** the ball over Coleman and into the back of the net.

On 38 minutes it was 2-0, as Neal Eardley’s free kick from the edge of the box beat both the wall and Coleman to nestle in the top corner.

We were unlucky not to pull one back immediately after half time. A mazy run from Jakubiak saw him beat most of the defence, but his shot was tipped behind for a corner by Southwood. 10 minutes later Oldaker was again denied by the Bradford stopper who palmed his 30 yard free kick behind.

On the hour we did pull one back. A corner from Wakefield was only cleared as far as Oldaker. He returned the ball to his midfield partner, who teed up Bobby Kamwa to slide the ball past Southwood into the far corner.

With 8 minutes to go we were unlucky not to be level. Good play worked the ball to Bobby Kamwa in the box, who squared it low to Spyrou, but his effort was diverted behind by the trailing foot of Southwood, who had dived the wrong way.

We were piling the pressure on in search of an equaliser, and were again denied by a frustratingly brilliant Southwood in the second minute of injury time, when he tipped over Spyrou’s fierce shot in the box. Unfortunately that was the last of the action and we left Yorkshire empty handed after a drab first half and disastrous 10 minute spell. We played well in the second half but had already dug ourselves into a hole. To make matters worse, Jakubiak suffered pulled knee ligaments in the closing minutes which will see him ruled out for up to 3 weeks.

End of Month Position: 1st

Month review:

A disappointing month where we have hit poor form, picking up only 9 points of a possible 21. There were positives in the wins against Charlton and Scunthorpe in particular, however I’m worried that the defeat to Hull may come back to haunt us and we missed crucial opportunities to pick up points on the road at Rochdale and Bradford. However, we are still in a good position, given that we are 9 points clear at the top with 14 left to play, and hopefully we will be able to find our early season form again in the final push for the title. Off the field, I am happy with our transfer business in the January window. I was largely happy with the squad, however it has allowed us to add some depth with an eye on the future. I am sad to see Liam Mandeville go, having been a key player in our rise up the leagues, however the deal is best for both him and the club, but pleased to have kept hold of Joel Coleman after he attracted several bids from Championship Barnsley on deadline day but ultimately decided to stick at the Proact.

Enjoying the story so far?

DD8D57DC-4E8F-43D1-AAEC-FCD294629286.jpeg

Follow @TGNLiveFM on Twitter for live match updates, results and transfer news as it happens​

Stay up to date with the action as it happens on Twitter @TGNLiveFM

February 2022

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-0 Blackpool

Wes McDonald 29
Joe Ward 72

First up in February was the visit of 12th place Blackpool to the Proact. With the Seasiders struggling for form of late, I was hoping for a win from this one. New signing Joe Ward came into the squad on the bench.

We started well in this one, and were unlucky not to take the lead on 26 minutes. Rekeil Pyke caught Tilt in possession at the back and found himself one on one with Trott, only to drag his shot wide of the far post.

3 minutes later we were in front. Blackpool failed to clear their lines and the ball ended up with Kamwa on the left wing. His cross found Pyke whose initial shot was blocked, but the rebound fell kindly for McDonald who blasted the Spireites in front.

Another 3 minutes later we had a huge chance to make it 2. Pyke again stole the ball from Tilt at the back and found himself through, but opted to square the ball for Spyrou, whose shot was denied by a fantastic save from Trott.

After the break, Joe Ward was introduced to the side in place of McDonald for his Spireites debut. He'd only been on the pitch for 10 minutes when Darren Oldaker played him in with a wonderful ball, for the right winger to head it past Trott into the far corner to open his Chesterfield account.

Blackpool then had the ball in the net on 75 minutes. Johnson got on the end of a wide free kick and flicked it onto Tilt who poked it home, only for the linesman's flag to rule it out.

However that was enough to return to winning ways with a strong performance.

Sky Bet League One
Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Chesterfield

Tavares 25
McDonald 40

Next up was a visit to Adams Park to face 17th place Wycombe. With the Chairboys again struggling, I was hoping to capitalise and put a winning run together.

Wycombe had the first big chance of the game after just 6 minutes when Coleman's misplaced pass found Phillips in the centre, however the goalkeeper managed to get back between the sticks to redeem himself with a save before Maguire hacked it clear.

However, we then took the lead on 25 minutes. Charlie Wakefield's 20 yard free kick beat the wall but was parried away by Allsop into the path of Nikola Tavares, who headed into the empty net to put the Spireites in front.

After some Wycombe pressure we then doubled our lead on 40 minutes. A Charlie Wakefield corner found Rekeil Pyke who was unlucky not to score as his header was cleared off the line. However, the ball fell back to Wakefield to find McDonald, who made no mistake finding the bottom corner from just inside the box.

Our 2 goal lead didn't last long. On the verge of half time, a long ball over the top from Corey O'Keeffe beat the defence and found the run of Kieran Phillips, who slotted the ball past Coleman to pull one back.

Chances came and went after the break but nothing of note until the 89th minute. Keelan O'Connell found the run of Spyrou from a free kick, and the front man looked to have headed home his 21st of the season. However after Wycombe protests and much deliberation from the officials, the goal was ruled out for offside.

Despite that we held on for back to back wins and another big 3 points.

Sky Bet League One
Mansfield Town 1-0 Chesterfield

Next up was a trip to the One Call to face 5th place Mansfield in our local derby. The Stags were in brilliant form having won all of their last 5, however I was especially keen to get 3 points from this one for the bragging rights and to keep the pressure up on the teams below us.

Mansfield were the better side in the first half and had 2 or 3 chances which they failed to convert. We had 1 or 2 shots on target but they all made Ingram's life too easy in the Mansfield goal.

We had to wait until 82 minutes for the opener, and it was the hosts that got it. A throw on from the left found Danny Rose, who picked out Krystian Pearce just outside the box, and he was given time and space to turn and place his effort into the far corner.

A bitterly disappointing defeat given the rivalry, but credit to Mansfield for a very good performance.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 3-1 Accrington Stanley

Spyrou 50, 90+4
Oldaker 65

After the disappointment at Mansfield, it felt crucial to get a result at home to 21st place Accrington. Mattia Ballabio returned to the starting lineup in place of Darren Oldaker after his injury layoff, and also fit again Jakubiak made the bench.

We had a nightmare start. On 9 minutes, a long ball from Stanley keeper Evtimov found its way over a sleeping Spireites defence to find the run of Jordan Clark, who slotted the ball past Coleman to give the visitors an early lead.

We failed to make our chances count throughout the rest of the second half and went in 1-0 down at the break.

The hairdryer treatment at half time clearly worked, as 5 minutes after the break we found an equaliser. A mazy run from Wes McDonald saw him find enough space to **** a ball over the top for the run of Spyrou, who tapped the ball past Evtimov to equalise with aplomb.

15 minutes later we doubled the lead. Bobby Kamwa was hacked down on the left wing, and we took advantage of the stoppage to bring Darren Oldaker on in place of Matti Ballabio. He had an instant impact as he got on the end of Wakefield's resulting free kick to head the Spireites in front with his first touch of the game.

That looked to be that, but deep into injury time, Bobby Kamwa managed to take charge of a loose goal kick from Evtimov. He played the ball through to Spyrou, who slid the ball past the Stanley keeper to make it 3-1 at the death.

The boys showed brilliant character to come back from a disappointing first half and win well in the second 45.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-1 Salford City

Spyrou 4
Oldaker 9 (pen)

Our final game of February saw us welcome 23rd placed Salford to the Proact. With their woeful record of late, I was hoping to end the month with a bang.

We had a fantastic start. After just 4 minutes, Anthony Spyrou got on the end of Oldaker's wide free kick and saw his first attempt blocked, but poked the rebound into the back of the net.

5 minutes later things got even better. Oldaker's corner went over everyone, but the ref spotted Salford defender Frost bundling Spyrou to the ground and awarded a penalty. Oldaker stepped up and sent Whiteman the wrong way to double the lead.

After the goal we did seem to step off the gas somewhat, and didn't have any huge chances for much of the rest of the game, whilst not taking too much pressure.

However, Salford did pull one back in the 82nd minute to set up a nervy finish. A throw in found Stephen Hendrie on the left, and his cross picked out Shay McCartan who headed past Coleman to put the pressure on.

We held on though for a valuable 3 points to cap a mostly positive February

Month review:

A very positive month in many ways, having picked up 12 points of a possible 15. We are now 12 points clear of Charlton in 2nd, who drew their game in hand with Oxford, and 13 points clear of Mansfield in 3rd with 9 games remaining, meaning that 5 wins from our remaining 9 will see us promoted as champions. In all honesty, I would have rather lost one of the other games as opposed to the Mansfield one given the rivalry, however it has to be said that on the balance of play they deserved the win. That being said, we showed fantastic character to bounce back from not only that result, but from conceding an early goal against Accrington the following week. Spyrou appears to be finding goalscoring form as well which is a positive, especially as Pyke is struggling for confidence in his current goal drought. Joe Ward has settled in well, as has Dan Thomas who is exceeding expectations, and the return of Mattia Ballabio and Jakubiak to the squad should bolster our title hopes once they return to match fitness. Off the pitch, Luke Coddington is expressing unhappiness at his lack of playing time and is angling for a loan move, which I am happy to give him, however I'm struggling to find offers.

Last edited:
March 2022

Sky Bet League One
Lincoln City 2-2 Chesterfield

Spyrou 45+1, 90+2

The first game of four in March saw us travel to Sincil Bank to take on 14th place Lincoln. With Lincoln in good form and having won 3 of their last 5, I knew we would have to be at our best to get a result. Jakubiak was preferred over Pyke to start alongside Spyrou.

We had a nightmare start. Only 6 minutes had played when Dennis Politic's wide free kick from the left found Lars Dietz in space to head past Coleman for an early lead.

Lincoln continued to be the better team throughout the first half, with another Dennis Politic free kick finding Akapo unmarked but he couldn't get his header on target.

However we did draw level in injury time at the end of the first half. After sustained pressure, the ball came to Jakubiak on the counter. He looked up and played in Anthony Spyrou who rounded Vickers before tapping the equaliser into the empty net.

The second half started quietly, but we found ourselves behind again on 68 minutes. We failed to properly clear another wide free kick, and the ball was pulled back to George Thorne who curled it past a helpless Coleman into the top corner.

We threw the kitchen sink at Lincoln to find an equaliser, but we had to wait until the second minute of injury time to get it. Substitute Joe Ward burst clear down the right flank on the counter attack and sent the ball low to the near post where Spyrou got a toe on it to convert his 25th of the season and give the Spireites a real reprieve.

As it turned out a good point against a strong side

Sky Bet League One
Peterborough 1-1 Chesterfield

Spyrou 88

On the road again, we travelled to the Weston Homes Stadium to face 8th place Peterborough. Rekeil Pyke returned to the side in place of Alex Jakubiak

We started well and were the better side for most of the game but couldn't take our chances. Spyrou was denied by a brilliant save from Chapman in the opening minutes before Wes McDonald headed a brilliant Dan Thomas cross over just after the break.

However it was the Posh who took the lead on 84 minutes. Tasdemir managed to pull away from Yarney and pulled the ball back for Callum Cooke, who sallied the ball past Coleman from just outside the area.

We pushed forward in search of an equaliser and had Spyrou to thank again late on. A wayward goal kick from Chapman fell to Pyke who sent Spyrou clear, and the striker kept his composure to slot the ball past Chapman

Another late reprieve, but dropped points for the second consecutive game.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 1-2 Newport County

McDonald 50

A return to the Proact saw us welcome 20th place Newport County. Newport have quality, however I was hoping to capitalise with them struggling for form.

We started well and could have been 2-0 up after 10 minutes. After just 3 minutes, a long clearance from Yarney fell to Pyke in space in the box, but his strike was turned behind by Townsend. Spyrou was next to be denied after he was set up with a long ball from James Brown, but after the early pressure the game became much quieter for the remainder of the first 45.

However, 5 minutes into the second half we got our breakthrough. A left sided corner from Darren Oldaker bounced off a defender and fell to Wes McDonald who poked the ball into the back of the net from close range to give us the advantage.

We continued to have chances but couldn't capitalise. A long ball from James Brown found Kamwa, whose volley was straight at Townsend, before Oldaker slipped Spyrou through one on one for the striker to drag his shot wide.

With 14 minutes to go, our lack of bite was punished. Newport's first real chance of the game saw the ball cleared to Cashman, who was all alone with Tavares. He outpaced the Spireites defender and slid the ball past Coleman to draw the scores level.

6 minutes later things got worse. Poor defending allowed a Newport through ball to set Stevens free, but he was felled by Thomas in the box for a penalty. Luigi Mendola stepped up and put his effort just out of Coleman's reach to put Newport ahead.

The game would end that way, a really disappointing result where we didn't take our chances and got punished for it.

Sky Bet League One
Birmingham City 0-1 Chesterfield

Ballabio 55

Our final March fixture saw us travel to St Andrews to take on 11th place Birmingham. With our recent dropped points having allowed Charlton to move within 5 points of us at the top, a win was crucial in this one.

We were unlucky not to take the lead after just 13 minutes. Oldaker pinged a pinpoint cross to Pyke who pushed his effort towards the bottom corner, only to see Talbot somehow get across to divert it behind for a corner.

Lukas Jutkiewicz then had 2 golden chances for Birmingham. First he managed to control a cross with his back to goal and shoot on the turn, however Coleman turned it behind before catching the striker's header from the resulting corner.

10 minutes into the second half we took the lead. Darren Oldaker's corner found Mattia Ballabio in space in the middle for the Italian to side foot his effort into the bottom corner for his first goal since arriving at the club.

There were few chances after the goal, and a solid defensive effort saw us hold out for our only win of the month and a huge 3 points. To make matters better, Charlton were held to a 1-1 draw by Sunderland which means that we restored the gap to 7 points.

Month review:

On paper, one of our poorer months, with only 5 points accrued of a possible 12 and 1 win. The two draws felt like wins, given the late equalisers, however if we had taken our chances we would have won the Peterborough game and the Newport result was a real kick in the teeth having taken the lead and failed to kill the game off before switching off for a crucial 15 minute spell. We are now 7 points clear of Charlton in second and 12 clear of Portsmouth and Mansfield in 3rd and 4th respectively, with 5 games to go in April. If we better Portsmouth and Mansfield's results in the coming weekend, we will confirm our promotion against already relegated Gillingham, and failing that will confirm our Championship status with a win against Fleetwood the following weekend. 3 wins from our remaining games will be enough to confirm our title win irregardless of Charlton's results.

April 2022
Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 3-1 Gillingham

Ballabio 27
Spyrou 29
Jakubiak 70

First up in April was a home clash against bottom of the league and recently relegated Gillingham. It was an emotional one for me, having been a Gills fan since I was 10, however knowing that a win could see us promoted should other results go our way, I had to put all sentimental ties aside.

We started much the better side. After just 5 minutes, Anthony Spyrou headed narrowly wide from a Dan Thomas cross before just a minute later, he weaved around 2 defenders before finding the foot of the post with his low drive.

However we took the lead on 27 minutes with Matti Ballabio's second goal in as many games. It was a carbon copy of his goal against Birmingham, with Oldaker delivering from a left sided corner to find the Italian in space who tapped the ball past Harry Lewis in the Gills goal.

2 minutes later we doubled our advantage. The ball came to Wes McDonald on the right, who beat his man before crossing to the near post where Spyrou connected with a fearsome volley to make it 2-0.

Things quietened from there, and on the verge of the break, James Brown had to head Connor Ogilvie's goal bound header off the line, however we went in at the break unscathed.

After the break, we continued to press, with Spyrou twice denied by brilliant saves from Lewis.

However it was the Gills who pulled one back just after the hour. A free kick from Regan Charles-Cook found Mikael Mandron in the middle who headed home from close range.

However 10 minutes later we wrapped up the points. A long ball from Dan Thomas was flicked on by Spyrou, and substitute Alex Jakubiak burst through to slot home the Spireites' third against the club he was once on loan at.

That was enough for the 3 points, but unfortunately due to Portsmouth's win against Rochdale and Mansfield's draw against Coventry, we will have to wait for the promotion party.

Sky Bet League One
Chesterfield 2-2 Fleetwood Town

Kamwa 12
Spyrou 90+1

Our final home fixture of the season was our biggest one yet. With Portsmouth having beaten Charlton 3-0 in the Friday night fixture, we knew that a point would be enough to secure promotion and a win enough to secure the title in our clash against 6th place Fleetwood.

We started well. Just 12 minutes were on the clock when Bobby Kamwa got on the end of a long ball from Dan Thomas, before beating his man and thumping a low drive into the far corner for a fantastic goal.

We were unlucky not to be 3 or 4 goals up before the break, Crellin did well to deny Bobby Kamwa a second, before he diverted Spyrou's close range shot over the bar after Yarney's header was cleared off the line from a corner.

The second half was a much quieter affair for the most part, and Fleetwood pushed to get back in the game.

On 85 minutes they got their equaliser. Danny Andrew delivered a free kick from the left onto the head of Ashley Eastham, who found the far corner to put the Cod Army on terms. Disappointment, but at least a point would still see us promoted.

We pushed men forward in search of a winner but were caught on the break. Crellin played a long goal kick which Ryan Rydel got on the end of, before running through and chipping the ball over Coddington to make it 2-1 in the 88th minute.

The game wasn't over there. Despite the sombre mood, we pushed forward for an equaliser and found it in the first minute of four added. Ward's corner from the left was clear as far as Oldaker, who returned it to the right winger. His one touch pass found Spyrou who blasted the ball into the far corner to send a sold out Proact into pandemonium to confirm our promotion.

Sky Bet League One
Doncaster Rovers 0-2 Chesterfield

Spyrou 45
Pyke 66

We went into our away fixture at 4th place Doncaster knowing that a point would be enough to secure the title, however should the worst happen, Charlton dropping points against Hull would also see us crowned.

Chances were at a premium in the first 40 minutes, with neither side creating a great deal.

However we took the lead on the verge on half time. A defensive move starting with Coddington saw the ball fall to Ward who surged forward. He found Pyke, who flicked a first time ball through to Anthony Spyrou who slid the ball past the keeper and into the back of the net.

Doncaster put the pressure on after the break, however we weathered it well and doubled our lead on 66 minutes. Another well worked move from the back saw Oldaker play the ball to Kamwa in the box. His initial shot was parried away, however the rebound fell to Rekeil Pyke who had a tap in to score his first goal after a 26 game drought.

Doncaster continued to put us under pressure with the title within reaching distance, as Coddington brilliantly denied N'Lundulu on multiple occasions. He'd been asking for a return to the side and was taking the opportunity with both hands.

We held on though and lifted our second successive title in front of an 800 strong away end.

Sky Bet League One
Sunderland 0-1 Chesterfield

Ward 65

Our final fixture of April could have been considered to be a dead rubber, with the title and promotion already secured. However, a win would see us beat the record we broke last year of 28 wins being the most for a Chesterfield team in one season, and would take us over 94 points, being the most attained by a Chesterfield team in one season. Our opponents were 17th place Sunderland.

We went into the break 0-0 with chances having been had for both sides. Egan-Riley saw his shot from a corner blocked off the line by James Brown in the opening 20 minutes, before Yarney was denied by a wonderful save from McLaughlin following a corner.

We had to wait until 65 minutes to take the lead. Dan Thomas did brilliantly to burst away on the left and beat O'Nien, before sending a low cross to the back post where Joe Ward tucked in at the far corner.

2 minutes later things looked even better. Oldaker swung a wide free kick towards Yarney who was hauled down by Egan-Riley for a Spireites penalty. Oldaker stepped up but sent his effort straight at McLaughlin who smothered the rebound.

There were no real chances of note for either side after that, and we held on to confirm a record breaking season.

May 2022

Sky Bet League One
Crawley Town 2-2 Chesterfield

Oldaker 28 (pen)
Spyrou 33

Our final game of the season was our only one in May, and it involved a trip to 19th place Crawley. With Crawley already safe, this one was a real dead rubber, however I was hoping for a win to sign off in style.

The game started slowly, however on 29 minutes we got a brilliant chance to go in front. In similar circumstances to Sunderland, Oldaker played a wide free kick towards Yarney, who was hauled down this time by Franco Vezzoni. With deja vu playing on my mind, Oldaker stepped up and slotted the ball in the bottom right corner this time to give the Spireites the lead.

5 minutes later things got even better. Dan Thomas made a surging run down the left before cutting the ball inside to O'Connell. He played a one two with Oldaker before teeing up Anthony Spyrou who slammed the ball in the top corner for his 30th goal of the season.

That definitely heightened the party atmosphere in the away end, but Crawley reminded us not to take things easy just before the break. Vezzoni picked up the ball from a throw in and spotted Coleman off his line. The lob was on target but Coleman managed to get back quickly enough to divert the ball behind for a corner.

The second half sprang to life on 58 minutes. Matti Ballabio made a fairly innocuous looking challenge on Beryl Lubala but the referee decided to give a free kick to the hosts and a yellow card to the Spireites man. Coulson hooked the free kick to the back post where it was met by David Sesay who headed past Coleman to pull one back.

On 88 minutes Crawley got their leveller. Whilst pushing forward, James Brown lost the ball to Longelo. He ran most of the length of the pitch to cross for Lubala, who teed up Vezzoni, who in turn found the top corner of the Spireites net to reprieve himself of the penalty error.

Disappointing to lose the game so late on, but given that we have finished the season promoted as champions I can't have many complaints

End of month(s) position: 1st

Month(s) review:

Promoted as champions to play Championship football to the first time in 72 years. We've had much worst months, and also much more relaxing ones! 11 points from a possible 15 is good form. If they had more importance, the dropped points at Crawley and Fleetwood would have hurt, however the euphoria of Spyrou's last minute goal is something that will stay with me for a long time. I was awarded the Manager of the Month for April, and Bobby Kamwa's opener against Fleetwood got Goal of the Month, which is always humbling. Off the field, David Francis has expanded the budget for the backroom teams, so a number of new recruits have arrived, namely Simon Royce (GK coach), Mel Johnson (scout), Anthony Colbert (fitness coach), Steve Guppy (coach), Ross Thorpe (scout), Alan Dunne (u18 coach) and Rob Edwards (coach). Luke Coddington's game time in the last month was well earned and has appeased him, and he has signed a new contract agreeing to play as our backup keeper. Darren Oldaker has also extended his stay at the Proact until June 2025.

Season Review - 2020/21

Awards

Golden Boot: Anthony Spyrou (30 goals)
Most Assists: Darren Oldaker (14 assists)
Goal of the Season: Bobby Kamwa vs Fleetwood (H)
Signing of the Season: Dan Thomas
Fans Player of the Season: Darren Oldaker
Young Player of the Season: Darren Oldaker
Manager's Player of the Season: Darren Oldaker

The Papers said

'All of Chesterfield's dreams came true this season as they defied expectations suggesting that they would be relegation certainties and instead mounted an almost unbelievable title-winning campaign. It was a season of unlikely yet jubilant success for The Spireites, their early-season form propelled them into title contention and provided them with the platform to go on and win the competition' - Sky Sports News

The Gaffer said

This season has been a complete whirlwind.

The sky really does seem to be the limit for this club and I am immensely proud to be a part of it. We were promoted as champions which we confirmed with 3 games to play, up against huge clubs like Charlton, Hull, Sunderland and Portsmouth who have all been Premier League sides in the past few decades. Our early season form was incredible, going 23 league games unbeaten and meaning only Hull City managed to take 6 points from us over the course of the campaign and that is absolute testament to everyone involved in the club for getting behind the badge. It has also been a season of record breaking. We of course gained the highest point tally of a Chesterfield team in one season, finishing on 95 points, as well as notching up 29 wins, breaking the records we set 12 months ago. Anthony Spyrou continues to show himself to be a real talent in front of goal, having now scored 79 goals in a Chesterfield shirt at only 22 years old. Darren Oldaker has also shown himself to be an integral part of the team again and young Dan Thomas has far exceeded expectations since arriving at the club in January. In cup competitions, we lived up to expectations in the Carabao Cup, making the Third Round before being knocked out away at Premier League Aston Villa, and passed expectations despite a disappointing Second Round

Off the field, David Francis continues to be a blessing of a chairman and we have a fantastic working relationship. The bank coffers are currently sitting on £1.6m. Ahead of the coming season, David has set the transfer budget at £2.6m and the wage budget at £113k. That said, I plan to make few changes to the squad which has carried us up the leagues over the past three years

In terms of the awards, Darren Oldaker again cleaned up, taking not only Fans' Player, Young Player and Manager's Player but also the League Player of the Year award, with Josef Yarney and Anthony Spyrou having honourable mention in the Fan's Player award. DJ is without doubt a significant talent and continues to be an integral part of our squad. Anthony Spyrou picked up the club and league Golden Boot awards with his 26 in the league and 30 overall. Dan Thomas took the Signing of the Season award, and he has become a valuable part of the squad at such a young age with an attitude and talent that defies his youth. I was awarded the Manager of the Year award, which is incredibly humbling, however our success is testament to the boys, with Spireites players making up 8 out of the 11 spots in the league Team of the Year.

CHAMPIONEES, CHAMPIONEES OLE OLE OLE

Stay up to date with the action as it happens on Twitter @TGNLiveFm

Recruitment

Contract Renewals

Sam Hearn (2 years)
Tom Harrison (2 years)
Pete Hodgson (1 year)
Nick Tsaroulla (1 year)
Joel Coleman (2 years)
Charlie Wakefield (2 years)
Joe Rowley (1year)
Bobby Kamwa (1 year)
Laurence Maguire (1 year)
James Brown (1 year)
Luke Coddington (2 years)
Dylan Parker (1 year)
Keelan O'Connell (1 year)

End of Contract

Wilson Carvalho
Tom Lapslie
Myles Welch-Hayes
Max Hunt
Brandon Bradbury
Craig Bell
Lee Perkins
James Turnbull
Charlie Hargreaves
Dennis Mensah
Paul Simpson
Peter Smith
Kyle Thackeray

Staff Recruitment

Expansion of the staffing team meant that Simon Royce (GK Coach), Iain Turner (u18 GK Coach), Alan Dunne (u18 Coach), Rob Edwards (Coach), Ross Thorpe (Scout), Mel Johnson (Scout), Anthony Colbert (Fitness Coach) and Steve Guppy (Coach) all arrived at the Proact in the summer.

Departures

Luke Conlan was the only player to leave the club permanently on a free transfer to Crusaders agreed in January. Elsewhere, Anthony Kelly and Daniel Simpson have left on season long loans to Matlock Town, whilst Steve Watkins has also left on a season long loan to Gainsborough Trinity.

Arrivals

Nolan Galves

1586263811782.png

First to arrive at the Proact was 18 year old French right back Nolan Galves on an £800k deal from FC Sochaux. Nolan is a talented young defender with bags of potential which he will hopefully realise at the Proact. Nolan will compete with James Brown for the first choice at right back.

Fraser Preston

1586263969548.png

Next through the door was 23 year old Fraser Preston on a £275k deal from Sheffield Wednesday. A talented and hard working right midfielder, Fraser comes with Championship experience at Hillsborough where he made 28 appearances, scoring 3 goals and assisting in another 3. Fraser is likely to replace Wes McDonald as the first choice on the right of midfield.

Mons Bassouamina

1586264136528.png

Our final arrival of the summer window was 24 year old French left midfielder Mons Bassouamina on a £475k deal from Millwall. Mons spent much of his career to date at Nancy, before moving to Millwall in the summer of 2021. He made 4 appearances for the South London outfit, scoring once, before being loaned to Southend United where he scored 3 and assisted 5 in 15 appearances in League Two. A physical winger who has both goals and assists to offer to the side, Mons will battle with Kamwa for the first choice spot on the left of midfield

Season Preview

A return from the close season sees us back in action as a Championship outfit.

David Francis has set his expectations for the season, which are as follows:
  • Fight bravely against relegation in Sky Bet Championship
  • Be competitive in the FA Cup
  • Reach the second round of the Carabao Cup
He has also funded for me to work towards my Continental Pro Coaching licence which I will hopefully complete over the next 12 months.

The bookies have us at 75-1 to win the title, and predict a 24th placed finish. I am positive about our chances but also realistic, and am targeting a lower mid table finish to consolidate our first season back in the 2nd tier of English football.

I am happy with our transfer business. I made a commitment to the squad that they will all have a chance to play a part in our Championship seasons, and in the small business we did conduct we have added quality and experience rather than plugged gaps or covered holes. Josef Yarney remains as club captain with Laurence Maguire still vice captain.

Squad List

1. Joel Coleman
2. Nolan Galves
3. Dan Thomas
4. Josef Yarney
5. Nikola Tavares
6. Laurence Maguire
7. Fraser Preston
8. Darren Oldaker
9. Anthony Spyrou
10. Mons Bassouamina
11. Bobby Kamwa
12. Luke Coddington
13. Dylan Wharton
15. Charlie Wakefield
16. James Brown
17. Keelan O'Connell
18. Joe Rowley
19. Tom Harrison
21. Mattia Ballabio
22. Wes McDonald
23. Alex Jakubiak
24. Nick Tsaroulla
27. Brandon Haunstrup
28. Dylan Parker
29. Rekeil Pyke
31. Joe Ward
34. Sam Hearn

Preseason

Results:

Sheffield 0-6 Chesterfield

Oldaker 17 (pen)
Jakubiak 20, 45+1
Pyke 30
Yarney 41
Spyrou 63

Matlock Town 0-5 Chesterfield
King OG 2
Oldaker 38 (pen)
Kamwa 45
Spyrou 48, 85

Chesterfield 2-1 Dundee United
Spyrou 44 (pen)
Pyke 68

Due to the World Cup taking place in Qatar this November, the season begins in mid July to account for the lack of games in the World Cup month, and therefore we could only schedule 3 preseason fixtures prior to the start of the season.

We opened with a trip to Sheffield, where we won comfortably. Oldaker converted an early spot kick after Yarney was fouled in the box and the goals rained down throughout the first half. We looked to ease off in the second 45, with a whole new team introduced, but Spyrou did add to the scoring late on to seal a good, if not expected win.

Following that we travelled to our feeder club Matlock Town. Craig King converted Pyke's header into his own net in the opening minutes and once again we dominated proceedings as expected. Oldaker converted another penalty before Kamwa and Spyrou added their goals to ensure a victory.

Our final preseason fixture saw Dundee United visit the Proact. We went behind midway through the first half, when Scott Banks poked the visitors in front, but an excellent goal from Anthony Spyrou on the verge of half time drew us level, before Rekeil Pyke sealed the win with just over 20 minutes to go to ensure a 100% record from our preseason schedule.

I was happy overall with our preseason campaign, it was short and sweet however the boys are largely close to match fitness. We have no injuries to carry into the season opener at Brentford. We won the games that we should have and won them well, and showed character to fight back from a goal down against a strong Dundee side to take a win from all three.

Stay up to date with the action as it happens on Twitter @TGNLiveFm

July 2022

Sky Bet Championship
Brentford 2-1 Chesterfield

Jakubiak 45+1

Our opening Championship fixture saw us travel to the Brentford Community Stadium for an away tie with Brentford. Ex Bee Nick Tsaroulla found himself on the bench whilst new men Nolan Galves and Fraser Preston started ahead of Brown and McDonald on the right.

Brentford had the ball in the net after 13 minutes. Emiliano Marcondes' wide free kick found Taylor Harwood-Bellis in the middle. He headed beyond Coleman but saw the strike ruled out for offside.

That appeared to be our wake up call and we started to push our way into the game, with Spyrou unlucky not to give the Spireites a lead minutes later. A long ball from Oldaker seemed to be rolling safely out for a goal kick. Only Spyrou chased it, and he managed to keep it in before being denied twice by Gunnarsson in the Brentford goal.

With just over 5 minutes to go until the break, Brentford did take the lead. Another Marcondes free kick found the onside Harwood-Bellis, who headed beyond Coleman to give the hosts the advantage.

We would have our say though, and a minute into injury time we drew level. A right sided corner from Charlie Wakefield found Maguire at the back post. His goal bound header looked to have crossed the line before Gunnarsson punched it away, but amid Spireites appeals, Alex Jakubiak reacted quickest to pelt the rebound into the back of the net to restore parity for half time.

After the first half, Brentford again enjoyed the better of the early stages before we began to push our way into the game. On 67 minutes, Spyrou thought he had given Chesterfield the lead. A fantastic ball from sub Tsaroulla found Kamwa on the edge of the box, and Spyrou was first to the rebound from his shot to tuck home. However he was denied by the lineman's flag.

We pushed forward but ended with a sucker punch. In the first minute of added time, Emiliano Marcondes broke free on the counter attack to whip a cross for Sergi Canos at the far post who sealed all 3 points for the hosts.

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 0-0 Cardiff City

Our opening home fixture of the season saw us host Cardiff City at the Proact. With Cardiff having won their opener, I knew that we would need to be at our best in this game.

It started quietly. We had to wait until the half hour for a meaningful chance for either side. Rekeil Pyke broke free on the counter attack before finding Spyrou in the middle. His header was on target but an easy save for Alex Smithies.

10 minutes later and the visitors had their first chance. Dobson slipped the ball through the defence to set Jordon Ibe free but his shot was straight at Coleman who saved comfortably.

After half time the game continued to be drab. The only real chance in the second half came on 76 minutes as debutant Bassouamina headed Fraser Preston's cross narrowly over, but the game would end goalless.

A first point on the board in our Championship season, but an opportunity missed to pick up all three.

Sky Bet Championship
Bristol City 1-1 Chesterfield

Bassouamina 48

Next up was a visit to Ashton Gate to face top of the league Bristol City. Bassouamina started on the left wing with Kamwa taking Wakefield's spot in the centre of midfield.

We started well, with a slick team move setting Bassoumina up on the edge of the box before his shot was blocked wide.

However on 6 minutes, it was the hosts that took the lead. A cross from Mattia Novella found Danny Loader in space at the near post who headed into the far corner.

On 32 minutes, Bobby Kamwa was forced off with pulled ankle ligaments to be replaced by Joe Rowley following a 50/50 challenge with Adam Nagy, who was also withdrawn.

We started the second half in fantastic fashion. On 48 minutes, a right sided throw in found Rekeil Pyke. His through ball released Preston whose cross found Bassouamina at the far post for the Frenchman to open his account with a headed effort.

There were few chances throughout the second half. On 66 minutes, the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Danny Loader upended Darren Oldaker. He saw his second yellow card and was duly dismissed.

After the dismissal, we tried to push forward but couldn't carve any opportunities. City nearly took the lead in the first minute of added time, when a long clearance found Semenyo one on one on the counter attack, but Coleman was equal to his effort.

A very good point at a tough place to go, and a strong performance.

Carabao Cup First Round
Chesterfield 1-0 Morecambe

Bassouamina 1

A break from League action saw us in action against League Two Morecambe in the Carabao Cup. I was expecting a win to fulfil the board's expectations of reaching the Second Round, but chose to keep a mostly full strength side for this one to get minutes in the legs with the lack of preseason friendlies. Joel Coleman was replaced by Luke Coddington between the sticks.

We took the lead 50 seconds in. A ball forward found Jakubiak, who laid the ball off to Bassouamina. He ran from the half way line to the edge of the box before firing a shot into the bottom corner for his second in as many games.

It would have been more if not for Mark Halstead in the Morecambe goal. He denied Preston on several occasions as well as tipping Oldaker's 24 yard free kick behind.

On 62 minutes we had a brilliant chance to extend our lead. Bassouamina stole the ball from the feet of Brewitt and pushed into the box, where he was felled by Charlee Adams. Adams found himself in the book, and Darren Oldaker stepped up to take the kick. His shot was straight down the middle and was beaten away by Halstead, although some players and fans appealed that the ball had crossed the line before he got to it.

Nevertheless, the game finished 1-0 and we are through to the Second Round where we will host Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 2-3 Luton Town

Spyrou 27
Pyke 45+1

Our final fixture of the month was a home game against 14th placed Luton Town. I was hoping to pick up 3 points from this one to record our first League win of the season.

Things started poorly. Just 6 minutes in, Luton took the lead when a Moncur free kick was cleared as far as Elliot Lee. He unleashed an unstoppable volley from distance which found the top corner.

On 26 minutes we found ourselves 2-0 down. Kim Jin Ya pushed forward and picked out Moncur in the middle, who fired his shot low into the bottom left corner.

A minute later though we did pull a goal back. Straight from the kick off, we kept possession and worked the ball into a shooting chance for Pyke. His shot was parried by the keeper but fell to Anthony Spyrou who jabbed it into the empty net to record his first of the season.

A minute into injury time we then pulled level. A throw in from the left hand side fell to Oldaker, who crossed for Fraser Preston. He teed up Pyke who diverted the ball into the far corner to restore parity.

The second half was much quieter, although we were unlucky not to take the lead with 20 minutes to go. Bassouamina found a forward run from substitute Brandon Haunstrup but his drive for the far corner was diverted behind by Ojrzynski.

However with 5 minutes to go, Luton were back in front. George Moncur's free kick from the left hand side was met by the toe of Elliot Lee who put the visitors back in front with his second of the game.

We finish the month as we started it with a sucker punch at the death. A disappointing result where I felt we deserved more on the balance of play.

End of month position: 21st

Month review:

A tough start to life in the Championship with 2 points picked up of a possible 12. It is difficult to criticise, as I feel the boys have played well and worked hard but just haven't had the luck. We were fantastic in the opener against Brentford and against Luton and could have easily on another day taken all 3 points. The draw against Bristol City was a very good result, and I would have taken a point from the Cardiff game, albeit on the day I think we should have won. Bassouamina and Preston have had a big impact since they have arrived, and will be important players, however we have to start turning the defeats into draws and the draws into wins. It will be interesting to see how the boys react in August.

August 2022

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

August began with the visit of 18th place Sheffield Wednesday to the Proact.

It was a drab game. The visitors started the better, with De Guzman pulling a save from Coleman in the opening minutes before we had a chance of our own just after the half hour, with Bassouamina seizing on a deflected shot but seeing his effort tipped wide by Wildsmith

We probably edged the second half but couldn't find a way through. Spyrou could only find the side netting from an acute angle before seeing his header from a Nolan Galves cross blocked to Jakubiak, who was denied by Wildsmith from close range.

A disappointing point against a side who also find themselves at the wrong end of the table

Sky Bet Championship
Rotherham United 2-0 Chesterfield

Next up was our visit to the New York Stadium to face local rivals 15th place Rotherham in front of the Sky cameras.

Rotherham started better and had the ball in the net after 21 minutes when Robertson converted Ogbene's flicked header but was adjudged to be offside. Spyrou was twice denied by Gunn in the closing stages of the half, but the first 45 ended goalless.

Chances were few and far between in the second half, and we had to wait until the 81st minute for the opener. Yarney failed to deal with a wayward pass and was beaten to the ball by Martinez, who found himself in one on one to slot the hosts in front.

With 2 minutes to go we were 2-0 down. Rotherham pressure around our box saw the ball fall to Jacob Brown, who found the far corner from 25 yards.

A bitterly disappointing defeat where we created nowhere near enough and didn't take the few chances we did have

Carabao Cup Second Round
Chesterfield 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

A much needed break from League action saw Premier League side Wolves visit the Proact.

Wolves dominated much of the game, as expected, but we defended resolutely. We nearly had the lead on 9 minutes, when Anthony Spyrou pulled a fantastic save from Rui Patricio after stealing the ball from Tielemans.

After the break, Yarney was unlucky not to score as he met Darren Oldaker's corner, only to see his header cleared off the line. Pyke tried to turn in the rebound but saw his effort cleared.

It was Wolves who did take the lead with 8 minutes to go. A slick team move culminated in Xherdan Shaqiri finding the bottom corner from just outside the box,

A spirited performance to be proud of, and unlucky not to take more from the game.

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 0-0 Portsmouth

The visit of fellow promoted side Portsmouth, who currently sit in 17th place was next on the schedule.

It was another drab game against a side that we were capable of taking 3 points from. Spyrou was denied by MacGillivray just before half time, but we were clutching at straws.

After the break, a nice move saw Bobby Kamwa break into the box, only for MacGillivray to tip his effort wide.

Another drab game and another point at home. We have now failed to score in our last 4 games.

Sky Bet Championship
Ipswich Town 2-4 Chesterfield

Yarney 41
Oldaker 45+1 (pen)
Jakubiak 51, 90+4

Next up was a visit to Portman Road to face 23rd place Ipswich. I was keen to at least get goals in this game, and to win for our first 3 points in the Championship.

We started well, with Jakubiak denied by Bettinelli early on before Darren Oldaker's free kick hit the side netting.

And on 41 minutes we took the lead. Bassouamina's corner wasn't dealt with and the ball fell to Oldaker. His shot was blocked but Yarney was on hand to convert into the empty net.

Things got even better before the break when Alex Jakubiak was upended in the Ipswich penalty area. DJ Oldaker stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to double our lead going into the break.

After the break we continued to be the better side, and 6 minutes in we made it 3-0. Sustained pressure around the Ipswich area saw Matti Ballabio slip the ball through to Jakubiak who calmly placed the ball in the far corner.

We then began to ease off, and Ipswich pulled one back on 67 minutes. Paudie O'Connor got on the end of Bartosz Kapustka's free kick to head into the far corner.

Things began to get tense 7 minutes later, as Flynn Downes made it 3-2 when he headed another Kapustka free kick into the back of the Spireites net.

However the points were sealed in the 4th minute of injury time, as Bassouamina broke free on the counter before finding Jakubiak who slotted home to confirm a first Championship win and a happy trip back to Derbyshire as we pull ourselves out of the relegation zone.

Sky Bet Championship
Crystal Palace 3-0 Chesterfield

After the win at Ipswich, we travelled to 5th place Crystal Palace optimistically of at least taking something from the game.

However, we found ourselves under the cosh and 1-0 down after 34 minutes. A free kick from Lopez on the left found Plesnierowicz unmarked in the middle who headed past Coleman to make it 1-0.

We then went 2-0 down 5 minutes later. Despite being told to defend, the boys pushed forward and Palace broke. A long ball found Liam Millar on the half way line with Pellissard alongside him and only Yarney back. Millar found Pellissard and he slipped it into the bottom corner.

After half time things didn't get much better, and we found ourselves 3-0 down with 10 minutes to go. Haunstrup failed to pick up Pellissard at a throw in, and he burst into the box before being brought down by Charlie Wakefield. Pellissard stepped up and put the ball down the middle into the back of the net to confound a miserable day in South London.

A hard place to go against a good side, but the goals were all of our own making and a really disappointing performance.

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 0-2 Swansea City

August concluded with the visit of 11th place Swansea to the Proact.

After 9 minutes we looked to have found our feet. A long ball by Oldaker found Spyrou who rounded Benda before passing the ball into the empty net, however he was adjudged offside.

A minute later however, we were 1-0 down. A corner from the left found Jake Bidwell in the middle who headed past Coleman to give the visitors the lead.

With no real chances for the rest of the half, we had to wait until 63 minutes to register a shot on target, with Benda equal to Fraser Preston's shot from range.

However we were 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go. We allowed Decordova-Reid far too much space to run down the left. He cut the ball inside to Celina, who saw his shot saved by Coleman, but the rebound fell to Peterson who had an easy finish to seal the points.

Month review:

A really disappointing month. We have taken 5 of a possible 18 points, and have only one win in our opening 10 league games. As it stands, we are fortunate to be outside the relegation zone but unless we make changes we will find ourselves in trouble at the end of the season. I have opted to amend our formation from 4-4-2 to 5-3-2, in an attempt to bolster the defence and allow us to build, however time will tell as to whether this solves the problems. We showed at Ipswich that we are capable of playing well, however we have gone from putting in good performances and not having the luck to squandering our chances and making stupid mistakes at the back.

September 2022

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 1-0 Wigan Athletic

Thomas 22

September began with the visit of 17th place Wigan to the Proact. I was hoping for a strong performance to get our first home win of the season over another side at the wrong end of the table, having changed from our previous 4-4-2 to a new 3-5-2 system to add some solidity.

We started well and took the lead with 22 minutes on the clock. Josef Yarney won the ball on the right hand side. He surged forward and played a cross in which found Dan Thomas in acres of space at the far post, and he lashed a volley into the far corner to open his Spireites account.

We continued to be the better side throughout the first half, and nearly doubled our lead on the verge of half time. Wakefield's corner found Yarney in space in the middle, but his volley was well held by Simon Moore.

After the break, Wigan came forward in search of an equaliser, with ex Spireite Sam Morsy denied by Coleman in the early exchanges.

However we would hold on to take three very valuable points.

Sky Bet Championship
Chesterfield 1-1 Derby County

Jakubiak 61

Next up was another home tie, this time hosting our neighbours, 4th place Derby in the midweek fixture.

It was the visitors who started on the front foot, and they took the lead on 31 minutes. Musonda's wide free kick went across the face of goal and was met by Archie Brown who had the simple task of heading in from close range.

They nearly doubled their lead 5 minutes later, when another Musonda free kick was met by Alex Mowatt. However, his header flicked the bar on its way over.

We came out well in the second half with Spyrou denied by Bazunu after some excellent pressure around the box minutes in.

However we found our equaliser just after the hour. After a good spell of possession in our own half, Oldaker looked up and played a long ball for Jakubiak, who slipped the ball past Bazunu to pull level.

Deep into injury time we could have had more. Another long ball by Oldaker, this time from a free kick, found Spyrou in behind and one on one with Bazunu. However, the keeper was equal to his low drive to ensure the points would be shared.

Sky Bet Championship
Stoke City 1-1 Chesterfield

Pyke 63

Another tough fixture saw us face 7th place Stoke City at the Bet365. I was hoping to follow up the point earned against Derby with at least another against a side performing well.

We started well. Just 11 minutes in, a long ball from Tavares released Spyrou on the counter attack. He beat Smith before bursting into the box where he looked to be tripped by Collins, however the referee waved away the penalty appeals.

2 minutes later it was the hosts who had a spot kick. A long ball forward found Campbell, and a mistimed challenge from Tavares sent him tumbling in the box. Ebere Eze stepped up from 12 yards, but blasted the penalty wide of the left hand post to give the Spireites a reprieve.

It was Stoke who drew first blood. On 61 minutes, a wide free kick from Dan Crowley found Tommy Smith in the box, and he headed the ball into the far corner to put the hosts in front.

We weren't behind for long though and found ourselves back on terms 2 minutes later. Charlie Wakefield's left sided corner found Rekeil Pyke at the back post whose powerful header found the back of the net.

A strong point on the road, and now 3 unbeaten as we head to struggling West Brom

Sky Bet Championship
West Bromwich Albion 3-1 Chesterfield

Jakubiak 31

Next up was a trip to the Hawthorns to face bottom of the league West Brom. The Baggies had struggled so far this season, but had won their previous game 2-0 against Luton, so I knew it wouldn't be a walk in the park.

I didn't expect to be 1-0 down inside 5 minutes though. Brennan Johnson picked out Kenneth Zohore at the near post, and he flicked the ball past Coleman to give WBA a 4th minute lead.

We struggled to get going after that, and found ourselves 2-0 down on the half hour. Darnell Furlong did well to get free down the right, and his cross was headed down by Muto for Zohore who fired in his second of the game.

A minute later we did pull one back. A Darren Oldaker free kick found Jakubiak at the back post who headed home to give us some hope.

However we failed to really create anything further, and the Baggies restored their 2 goal lead with 15 minutes to go in spectacular fashion, with Darnell Furlong firing a first time shot into the top corner from 25 yards out.

An already miserable day got worse in added time, as a completely unnecessary challenge from Darren Oldaker on the half way line saw him pick up a second yellow card and was sent off.

Sky Bet Championship
Preston North End 1-0 Chesterfield

September closed with another away tie to a struggling side, this time 21st place PNE at Deepdale. I was hoping for a win to get the heads up after a dismal performance in the Midlands.

However it was PNE who took the lead on 10 minutes as Dan Thomas clattered Rafferty in the box. Thomas was lucky to escape a second yellow card, having been booked minutes before, however we weren't lucky enough as Sean Maguire thumped the penalty into the bottom right corner.

On the half hour things got worse. Thomas again clattered into Rafferty, this time on the half way line, but couldn't escape another booking and was given his marching orders.

Another game where we really struggled to create chances, and it was a drab affair after the sending off with PNE the better side. We did have a chance to draw level minute into the second half, as Spyrou got on the end of Wakefield's long ball, but his effort was straight at Dan Bentley.

Another disappointing defeat against a side we should have taken more from.

Month review:

A really mixed month. 5 points of a possible 15 isn't ideal at all, and especially disappointing considering really performances and results in the closing game of the month. The win against Wigan was well fought, and a strong defensive display, whilst we did well to take points from Derby and Stoke. However the defeats to West Brom and PNE were abysmal to say the least, and we may regret them at the end of the season. An experienced Championship centre half, Jack Robinson arrived with the club after his release from Nottingham Forest in the summer prior to the Wigan game, and has featured in the side since. We have also arranged six friendly matches to hopefully raise morale and at the very least keep fitness up throughout the near 2 month international break for the World Cup in November/December, however focus is now on our next game against league leaders Southampton