faulky10

Reaction score
A tribute to a Welshman with a vision. Gary Speed a true cult hero for many, a legend for some, one to be remembered for all. As a salute to Gary Speed's dedication to the welsh national team I've devised a challenge for people to try to emulate and surpass Gary's vision.

The aim of the challenge is to build a prosperous Welsh footballing nation. To start you must pick a welsh team and begin to build your team. Scouting young players and helping welsh youth develop into top tier players. Taking the role of one of the bigger clubs has been popular through the challenge however it makes managing the youth talents a bit harder. Taking control of the smaller clubs and promoting youth quickly into the first team has worked well for a number of players. Take that as you may - the challenge is yours. Build your squad, increase Wales' FIFA rankings and win trophies along the way.

I am always up for debate and conversation - Last year we added the WPL as part of the challenge and some managers jumped on it. We've taken away a few point tallies and changed the scoring on a few items. But overall the challenge has remained the same. Input is always welcome, either message me directly on steam or through the forums or reply to this post with your suggestions so we can open the discussions.

View 2013 results here
View 2012 results here

Rules:
1. Manager To be Welsh - 50% point reduction is enforced on none Welsh managers.
2. No use of Genie-Scout
3. No use of Editor

A point system will be awarded as follows...
Challenge Swansea CardiffWrexham Newport CountyColwyn BayWales
Win the PL
30 30 30 30
Win the Championship* 20 20 20 20 20
Win League one* 15 15 15 15 15
Win League two* 10 10 10 10 10
Win the Blue Square Premiership* 10 10 10 10 10
Win the Blue Square North* 10 10 10 10 10
Win the FA cup202020 20 20
Win the Capital One Cup10 10 10 10 10
Win the Community Shield 5 5 5 5 5
Win the Welsh Cup (TBD)

Win the JPT

1010 10
Win the FA Trophy

5 5 5
Qualify For Europa5 5 5 5 5
Win Europa1515 15 15 15
Qualify for CL10 10 10 10 10
Win CL20 20 20 20 20
Win the Super Cup 5 5 5 5 5
Win the World Club Championship15

u18 league win5 5 5 5 5
u18 Cup win2.5 2.5 2.5 2.5 2.5
Home Grown Hero*x2 x2 x2 x2 x2
Welsh U19 Manager*

Welsh U21 Manager*

Welsh Manager!*

4 Associates Trophy

Euro Qualification

Euro round of 16

Euro Round of 8

Euro Quarter's

Euro Semi's

Euro Winners!

World Cup Qualification

WC Round of 16

WC Quarter's

WC Semi's

WC Winners!

* = Can only be achieved if you do not start as the Welsh national manager as well.
= If your club achieves any of these while boasting an 70% welsh squad your points will be doubled.
* = If you gain promotion you are entitled to HALF to points awarded to winning the league you are being promoted from.

For any one interested in signing up, I will create a table or a hall of Fame and add your points as you post your achievements. Please post any questions here, Or contact me on steam! I'll be partaking in the challenge soon. Post screen shots of your achievements so that I can add them to the Gary Speed Challenge league table!

Thanks goes out to
JonoMUFC for his input on the creation of this challenge.

A further thank you to Meynell94 and I7IDanny for their contributions throughout last season. Aannddyy had a good run and deserves a cheers!

Kezza96 ended up top of the table last year with his amazing run with Cardiff.

Table of Champions:

Name
Team(s)PointsLast update
LovanoFM
Cardiff177.5
01/12/2013

Completed Challenges:

LovanoFM: Won PL (4), Won Capital One (3), Won Community Shield (3), Qualified for Champions League (4), Won the World Cup, Champions League, Won Super Cup, World Club Champions,

Last edited:
Love this challenge, will get started when I get the game!

It looks good tough cardiff are in the prem, change that.

I played this challenge a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Going to start it again with Wrexham.

I would give this a go apart from rule number 1.

Thanks for your input. However it is called a Gary speed tribute challenge, so him being Welsh it is kind of embedded. don't let that push you away. If you are **** and only manage as your own nationality then you'll just have to be twice as good as those who want to emulate Speed and take on his nationality. Rule number 1 won't change, good luck if you decide to try the challenge.

You must have qualified for the Champ league twice... can you post a SC of your 2014/2015 champ league table mate?

View attachment 453949
Loads more trophies. 2 Capital One Cup, 1 Club World Championship, 1 Europe Super Cup, 2 Community shields, 1 Champions League, 2 Premier Leagues.

Wales

View attachment 453948

Came second in my Qualifying Group behind Spain so I had to play a Play off against Slovakia and won overall 5-3.​

I'm thinking of giving this a go with Merthyr Tydfil using Voasy's lower league database, almost did it last year but didn't in the end.

I may have to insist on players using the classic version not the new sped up version...