The "Golden Years" Challenge

gener4

Reaction score
The Golden Years Challenge

Everyone knows the recent history of their favourite leagues. Maybe your father has passed down stories about when he was a kid. Maybe even your grandfather knows a thing or two about the good old days. Teams that may not be top of the heap now certainly had their glory days in the past. Who remembers a small provincial team from the East Midlands winning back to back European Cups, but Nottingham Forest did just that in the early 80's. How about the other team from Turin winning five straight Scudetto titles in the post-war years?

Perhaps it's time to rekindle those embers of days gone by... long gone by.
The challenge is this. Take one of these formerly great teams, and return them back to glory. This challenge will be different for everyone. Maybe your idea of glory is promotion and a respectable league position again... or the odd Cup victory. Perhaps for others, glory is running the full Monty, including Champions League, domestic titles, and personal accolades. However you see this challenge, share it with the rest of us.
Your choices are as follows:

Club: Pro Vercelli 1892
Nation: Italy
Achievements: 7-time Scudetto winner
Years of Greatness: 1908-1922
Current League: Serie C2/A
Challenge: Promotion to Serie A, European Qualification within 5-7 years

Club: IFK Goteborg
Nation: Sweden
Achievements: 18-time Swedish Champion, 2-time UEFA Cup winner
Years of Greatness: 1980's (Europe)
Current League: Swedish Prem
Challenge: Win a European title (CL, EurL) within 3 years

Club: Borussia Monchengladbach
Nation: Germany
Achievements: 5-time German Champion, 2-time UEFA Cup winner, 1 Champion's League
Years of Greatness: 1970's
Current League: German Bundesliga 1
Challenge: Win a European title (CL, EurL) within 3 years

Club: Huddersfield Town
Nation: England
Achievements: 3-time English Champ, 3-time Runner-up, FA Cup winner
Years of Greatness: 1920's
Current League: nPower League 1
Challenge: Win the Premiership and FA Cup within 5 years

Club: Stade de Riems
Nation: France
Achievements: 6-time French Champs, 2-time French Cup Winner, 2-time CL Runner-Up
Years of Greatness: 1950's
Current League: French Ligue 2
Challenge: French Champs and Euro Qualification within 5 years

Club: Racing Club
Nation: Argentina
Achievements: 7-time Argentine Champs, 1 Copa Libertadores
Years of Greatness: 1950's
Current League: Argentine Premier Division
Challenge: Win the League Opening and Closing Stage and Copa Libertadores within 5 years

So there you have it. All varying degrees of difficulty, but all clubs that have great fan bases that deserve to return to former glories.

Good luck.

Can i have a go at this with man city - years of above averageness 60's-70's

sure mate, although with Citeh's bank roll it shouldn't be too tough :)

The Pro Vercelli challenge looks like it'd be a fair bit of fun.

Anyone ever taken them on before on '11?

Edit: As for my own personal challenge it was winning the FA Cup with Bristol City within two seasons, having only made the final once before in 1909.

I never have taken on Pro Vercelli. I did end up taking Castel Di Sangro from C2B to the A in FM5 (i think). it took about 10 seasons, but i got them there (only to go back down again).

Ive decided I'm going to try to win a Serie A with Pro Vercelli. Maybe add a few more scudetti

I've actually been to a Pro Vercelli match. They have a very loyal fanbase who are well aware of their past accomplishments.

I'd say Venezia would be a good challenge as well. They haven't accomplished as much as USPV (vercelli) but they've spent a few years in serie a and b and have fallen to serie C2.

Im going to give the Pro Varcelli one ago aswell worth a try :)

another idea lead saints to FA cup glory took me ****** ages to do that on fm2010 :)

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

and to show commitment im even going to make a facepack logo and kits :)

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

will post screenies to keep you updated and just so you all know im using the gogzy update merged with the 500 extra youth db i have.