The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (FC Wholen)

Zedwardson

Reaction score
Well - I started this in the wrong forum (2013) so now I am correcting that.

This is a manager story of me starting as a random dumb american who somehow ended up coaching FC Wholen in the 2nd division of the Swiss leagues.

I will be sharing the good parts, the bad parts, and also the ugly parts. Players getting upset, painful losses. I am new to FM14 and I doubt I will be able to get in the champion league anytime soon. Hopefully I won't be sacked, but if I am, then well I have a few other countries on to land somewhere else. Yes, I will even share the awful moment of being Sacked if it comes to it.

-----------------------------------------------------

Getting off the plane in Zurich and heading north, The new manger walks out to the sports complex. No one knows who he is, but they are willing to pay him to try and keep FC Wholen, the oldest Football team outside of a major city in the Swiss alps, out of the relegation zone.

After the interviews are over, I begin to prep for the preseason. I do not have much room, but they gave me a large transfer budget, so I promptly move it over to the salary section as I will be focusing on free transfers, however I might pick up a inexpensive transfer.

The goal from the clubs and the players is quite simple. To keep our heads above the relegation zone and stay alive. The club is willing to expand the youth training facility, which is good, inexpensive youths will keep us alive as we develop revenue sources to keep ourselves alive. We move forward to the pre-season

A tough Preseason

-------------------

The preseason was a tough affair, and the manager look out of the windows at the end and wondered

"What in the heck did I get myself into"

FC Wholen had picked up three players he hoped would in the end help the club out. A African striker Brice Owona was the biggest signing, at 1.8k a week, followed by a young Swiss midfielder by the name of Cicrik Tunahan for 1k a week. and due to already assigned salaries, that is all that he could afford off the free transfer market, minus a inexpensive backup goalie. and that required him to dump a lot of the transfer money into the funds to pay for these signings. Still with this and 3 loans he hoped it would be enough.

After the preseason he wanted to go to the bar and drink. It was painful. The rotation player Guto was out for two months after a nasty game with a Italian side, and the play showed no flair, or at least till the end of the 2nd half in the last preseason game, when the manger finally admitted to himself that FC Wholen was not a good team. Their was a reason why it was viewed as the most likely to be relegated. However it did have some parts that where notable. Its back-line was solid, and while Owona could not hit the side of a barn, some of the other forwards showed that they could be dangerous on set pieces and on the counter-attack before the other team could set it defense up.

Rearranging his tactics to counter-attacking style in a 4-4-2 (or perhaps more accurately a 4-2-2-2) he watched the team hold off the previous bad scores and counter attack with gusto. scoring two late 2nd half goals to tie the game on its lesser opponent. Yes, it was a tie to a lesser team, but for the first time the team actually flowed with the ball.

With this play the team might actually be able to win enough games to stay out of the bottom.

Key thing is to take points whenever he could.

View attachment 364829View attachment 364828View attachment 364827View attachment 364826

The first five games.

---------------------------------------------

FC Wholen started hot, with two wins to start the season giving the club six points that for a while, put it at the top of the league, however it was clear that FC Wholen was just showing that he was beating up on some of the lesser clubs. So FC Wholen ended up sandwiching two draws vs. its one disappointing loss at the hands of the most recently relegated Servette FC

FCW 4-2 Chassio

A strike by Top team striker Pravia, a Penalty professionally taken by expensive Owona, A long shot by Lehmann, and a top Free kick by Baisdia lead Wholen in a nice victoy, putting it nicely in first.

One of Chassio two goals was a own goal.

FC Lugano 0-1 FCW

Pravia once again stuck fast, scoring in the 6th min. Afterwards it was some near misses as FCW dominated the game. earning them six points in the first two games. While the fans where getting excited, the manager knew that Chassio and FCL where some of the weaker teams. Still, getting wins is a good thing.

FCW 1-1 FC Wil

This was a game where Pravia, so hot in the first two games, had to sit to rest his tired body, and it was in some respects not the first team, as it was on a lesser rotation of the starters. FC Wil scored a early goal in the 16th min and while FCW was getting chances, they could not finish. Till in the 90th min the referee gave a penalty shot for a foul in the box, and FCW promptly put it in for the draw.

Servette 4-2 FCW

While the scoreline is what was expected, it was a painful loss. quickly running out to a 2 goal lead, in the 2nd half Servette, languishing in last place and seemingly falling apart game alive and scored 4 times. The first loss of the season. Ended up playing at the end with 10 men due to injury.

FCW 0-0 FC Locanio

This was a listless game. The league's worse defense stiffened and while we had a number of shots hit the wood, none went into the net. It was a unlucky draw, but still giving us another point. We are sitting with 8 points after five games in 4th place in the league. A full six points out of relegation.

And as soon as I thought I was going to have it easy. The doctors informed me that my starting Center fullback was out 2-3 months with a lower back stress fracture.

needless to say, I was not a happy manager when I found this out. But we will have to make due. View attachment 364807View attachment 364806View attachment 364805

Bad games, and a blow up.]

Wholen FC did not have a good month. Make that two months.

In August and September FC wholen Earned 8 points in nine games. Nothing was going right for the team. Now in some ways, management was happy, They only seeking to stay above relegation, and in this, the steady points lifted FC wholen up, but it was a bad team playing bad ball, even a two week break for international events did little to help.

Then FC wholen lost a badly played game in the First Round of the Swiss Cup, it was a embarrassment. The lesser team passing the ball around, no one even able to counter attack, let alone build up pressure, and in frustration in arguing with a ref, double yellow cards for a key player, leaving the team a man down, and loosing a listless game a man down. The manager, mostly calm in the past, was upset, and ripped into the team, calling them things in his new found german that would cause boycotts if what he said ever hit twitter. But they listened, it raised moral. The Team woke up.

View attachment 363633View attachment 363632View attachment 363631

In October and early novemeber, the team scored 14 points in six games. Moving the faves for relegation into 2nd place, 8 points behind the leader Vaduz.

View attachment 363625View attachment 363624

Story has potential, something different, I hope you can achieve success through the years.

Story has potential, something different, I hope you can achieve success through the years.

Here is a little preview at the end of the season. It was a nail biter. Vaduz just had something awful happen to it.
I am actually got too involved in managing and not paying attention to the story mode so I kinda forgot to do some screencaps! XD

That, and I decided to go another way, as I want to play with some of the downloadable leagues.

Last edited: