• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 11K
SEASON FINALE AND END OF SEASON REVIEW
View attachment 378123

The Finale

Boca 0 - 2 River Plate (Neutral)
Luna x2

Apparently the Primera Division is not won by the league table but rather a grand finale between first and second or who won the first and second half, I'm not sure, but despite this we won it! Surely the failures of Barca "B" have been forgotten after I led River to the title for the first time since 2008. Brilliant.

-

SEASON REVIEW

View attachment 378124

The second stage of Liga Primera, where we won despite finishing the league just 3 points ahead of Boca with them having 3 games in hand. Turned the team around when I took over in February and providing no significant departures in the transfer window I think we can do it again.

View attachment 378129

The overall league title - which if I'm correct counts for absolutely nothing. A third place finish gives room for improvement next season.

View attachment 378130

Individual stats, Luna takes 3rd place in the golden boot competition with an impressive 25 goals this season and 2nd place in the MOTM reward table. Ponzio also impressed with 7 MOTM positions despite missing a chunk of season.

-

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS

Best Player: Carlos Luna
View attachment 378131

Best Young Player: Eder Balanta
View attachment 378132

Leagues Best Player: Santiago Silva
View attachment 378133

PRESEASON
View attachment 378239

View attachment 378240

Friendly results. As usual I allowed the assistant to manage the side so I could handle the transfer side of things, which I was quite impressed with after looking at the forced departures. Anyhow some concerning defensive performances from the lads as we leaked 7 goals in 3 games. Although these games are mostly about fitness and tactical familiarity.

Not many games have been played in preseason because the Argentinian season starts very early, something I'm pleased about, competitive games are much more rewarding then friendly games.

-

View attachment 378241

Here are the transfers, as you can see there were a high number of departures because we started the season a huge 60k over the wage allowance (this is after the other high earners left on a free as well). All of the incoming loans were at no cost at all.

The next update will show the August games and results.

Congrats on the title mate!!! Maybe Barca B just weren't for you.

Thanks mate :P. Really enjoying River at the moment.

AUGUST UPDATE
View attachment 378346

River Plate 2 - 0 Argentinos
Mercado, Ferreyra

A good way to start the season, Ponzio assisted both and put in an all round great performance to get the first MOTM award of the season.

-

Colon 1 - 2 River Plate (Copa Sudamericana)
Luna x2

Lanzini and Mercado picked up knocks here unfortunately, but last seasons super striker Luna managed to get an early and late goal to win the away leg of the Copa Sudamericana first leg.

-

Racing 0 - 3 River Plate
Villalva x2, Lanzini

Villalva staked his claim for first team football by scoring two great goals against rivals Racing. Rojas picked up a nasty injury in this fixture.

-

River Plate 0 - 0 Newell's
-

On loan goalkeeper Monzon was the hero today as he saved a penalty midway through the second half to ensure we didn't go home without the points.

-

Banfield 0 - 2 River Plate
Lanzini, Fabbro

Lanzini continues to impress despite picking up another small knock.

-

River Plate 4 - 2 Colon (Copa Sudamericana)
River win 6-3 on aggregate
Sanchez, Cabonero, Fabbro, Luna

A thriller against Colon, but never one we were in danger of losing. The draw for the next round will come in several weeks.

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 378347

Going into the 2nd month of our season in 2nd position - but with league leaders Velez away as our next game. This months performances have been impressive and the side is yet to lose in a competitive fixture. The defense is also holding up quite well, despite the loss of Maidana.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 378348
Manuel Lanzini

Unimpressive last season but he's definitely impressing this season. The youngster has 2 goals and an assist in just one start and his only other appearance coming off the bench.

OCTOBER UPDATE
View attachment 378389

Velez 1 - 4 River Plate
Sanchez, Luna, Fabbro x2

We destroyed Velez here putting us top of the table. Their goal came too late for it to be of any threat to us.

-

River Plate 2 - 0 Tigre
Ferreyra, Luna

Standard win, Vangioni picked up a knock though.

-

River Plate 2 - 0 Estudiantes
Villalva, Luna (pen)

Villalva really impressed and the returning Maidana earned a penalty which Luna converted. Although not as prolific as last year he's still scoring often.

-

River Plate 4 - 0 Emelec (Copa Sudamericana)
Rendon, Fabbro x3

Rendon scored his first senior goal for the club! Sadly Luna got injured in the first half, consequently pushing Fabbro further forward and giving him the freedom to get a hattrick.

-

River Plate 3 - 0 Arsenal de Sarandi
Villalva, Fabbro (pen), Ferreyra

Maidana impressed at the back and the forwards were operating at peak level. 3 goals from 4 shots on target.

-

SUMMARY

View attachment 378390

Young CB Milito was poached by Real Madrid this month because of confusion with who offered the contract to the player but that's sorted with other standout youth players Rendon and Miguel as they've agreed provisional deals. In the league it was another impressive, unbeaten month and that showed as I was awarded manager of the month.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 378391
Jonathan Fabbro

How could it be anyone else? 6 goals this month from the converted striker and it's amazing he hasn't been recalled to the Paraguay squad yet. If his form continues there's no reason we can't retain the title.

OCTOBER UPDATE
View attachment 378395

Belgrano 1 - 1 River Plate
Maidana

One can't help but think this result was a tad harsh seeing how we pretty much controlled the game. Unfortunately a poor team talk didn't help things and we conceded an equalizer.

-

Boca 2 - 3 River Plate

Fabbro x2, Lanzini

What an epic! It was back and forth for 90 minutes when Ponzio got sent off with the scores at 2-2. Boca were pushing for the winner when River broke and Lanzini was found open in the 18 yard box to slot home a 93rd minute winner.

-

River Plate 4 - 0 Independiente
Luna x3, Fabbro

We destroyed yet another rival, this time at home. Maidana got himself sent off late on although that didn't stop Luna netting a hattrick.

-

Emelec 2 - 1 River Plate (Copa Sudamericana)
River win 5-2 on aggregate
Funes Mori

I opted to play a weakened side here and somehow lost the game. Transfer listed striker Funes Mori with a late constellation goal.

-

Rosario Central 0 - 1 River Plate
Rojas

Even with 9 men we found a winner away from home. A late penalty shout was given and Rojas converted with ease to take the pressure off the two men given marching orders.

-

River 5 - 1 Tolima (Copa Sudamericana)
Vangioni, Ferreyra x2, Rojas, Villalva

We were expected to win and win we did. We got cut open a few times though and they hit the woodwork once or twice but it wouldn't have effected the outcome.

-

SUMMARY

View attachment 378396

Still unbeaten at just over the halfway point in the opening stage of the Argentinian league. The title challenge is looking strong at this point of the season. The first round of the Argentinian cup was drawn and we got Indipendiente.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 378397
Eder Balanta

Wasn't sure who to give this to as the attack has been switched up a lot this month and a lot of the midfield has been sent off at one time or another. The young centre half has been solid at the back and has appeared in pretty much all of the games this season.

Really enjoying this story, i like Lanzini, i always try to buy him on my saves haha keep up the good work :)

NOVEMBER UPDATE
View attachment 378521

River Plate 1 - 3 Lanus
Fabbro

Erm... What? An awful performance from Martinez led to us conceding two goals - oh and he got himself sent off. Late on we were pushing for an equalizer with the score at 2-1 when a Lanus break resulted in a goal. Very disappointing performance.

-

Tolima 0 - 3 River Plate (Copa Sudamericana)
River win 8-1 on aggregate
Rojas, Luna, Villalva

Finished the job with a much weakened team, although I didn't make the mistake of last time and play a complete reserve side.

-

River Plate 2 - 0 Colon
Ferreyra, Fabbro

Solid win, no real worrying moments.

-

Gimnasia 0 - 0 River Plate (Copa Sudamericana)
-

A poor away performance against a second division club in the Sudamericana. Villalva had a standout moment where he tricked past his defender and blazed off the crossbar, but other then that nothing amazing.

-

River Plate 0 - 1 Atl. Rafaela
-

Dominated the whole game but conceded one sloppy goal. Frustrating.

-

River Plate 4 - 0 Gimnasi (Copa Sudamericana)
River win 4-0 on aggregate
Luna x2, Lanzini, Rojas

This is the sort of performance we should be putting in against poor sides. An early goal meant we were in command for the whole game.

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 378522

Still top of the table with 4 games of this half of the season remaining. Should we stay top I THINK that gives us a spot in the league finale no matter what happens in the second half, although I'm not certain of that. We're still in all of the cup competitions we were entered in although still haven't played our Argentinian cup game.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 378523
Ariel Rojas

Good month from the utility player as he's been deployed on the left, right and down the middle bagging two goals in the process.

DECEMBER UPDATE
View attachment 378721

Quilmes 0 - 2 River Plate
Maidana x2

Maidana played superbly in this game even though he was playing as the makeshift rightback. Two headed goals from a corner won the match for us in an otherwise dull affair.

-

Flamengo 1 - 1 River Plate (Copa Sudamericana)
Cirigliano

Played cautiously away from home in the Copa Sudamericana because Brazillian teams are significantly better then the Argentinian teams but we didn't have as much trouble as I expected. Either team could of won the game but it looked like it would be us going into the late stages of the game when a slip up from the usually assured Ponzio. An away goal is still great though.

-

Huracan 2 - 3 River Plate
Villalva, Luna, OG

We took the lead early on before a goal courtesy of Vega leveled it up. An own goal from their Dominguez gave us the lead once more though. Vangioni's late sending off left us under heavy pressure but we managed to hold on to get a vital 3 points.

-

River Plate 3 - 1 Flamengo (Copa Sudamericana)
River win 4-2 on aggregate
Vangioni, Cazares, Luna

We win the Copa Sudamericana! We went all out in the home leg of the final and it paid off with an emphatic win over Brazilian giants Flamengo. My first trophy of the new season.

-

San Lorenzo 2 - 3 River Plate
Ferreyre, Rojas, Fabbro

A win here saw us claim the Opening Stage of the Argentinian league and gave us qualification to the Copa Libertadores. Rojas put in a great performance with a goal and two assists to win the game in an intense rivalry match.

-

River Plate 2 - 3 All Boys
Vangioni, Rendon

Played a weakened team with the Argentinian cup game just 2 days later and got punished once again. Young star Rendon got a great goal though and his development is coming along nicely.

-

River 2 - 0 Independiente (Copa Argentina/Neutral)
Rojas x2

Good win to put us through to the 6th round of the competition where only 32 teams remain. Vangioni got sent off unfortunately so we'll be without him in the final stage of the league (the last 19 games basically).

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 378726

First two trophies of the season won this month and that makes it a 100% win ratio in Argentina for me so far. I've decided regardless of whether I win the Libertadores or not I'll be moving on this summer so hopefully we can get some good results and I can leave atleast an Icon.

View attachment 378727View attachment 378728

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 378729
Ariel Rojas

Another great month for the lad as he picks up the award for a consecutive month. Although not normally the first name on the team sheet he's definitely been showing why he should be and in the coming stages of the season he'll play a big part.

JANUARY/FEBRUARY UPDATE
View attachment 379003

View attachment 379004

Before the results looks at this, it's the outgoing transfers from the club this summer. And they're all going on a free because of financial issues with renewing contracts. Two players you can't see are Sanchez and Roman and pretty much half of my first choice eleven is leaving this summer. As you can see the situation is pretty dire.

-

Argentinos 0 - 2 River Plate
Luna, Mercado

Could have been so much more comfortable, Luna squandered several early chances but did manage to convert one and the star man really struggled in this season opener against Argentinos. Mercado struck deep into added time to ease the pressure and assure the win.

-

River Plate 3 - 0 Racing
Luna x2, Maidana

Luna was superb today with two beautiful strikes to give us the rivalry win. Maidana added to his impressive tally for the whole season with a good headed goal and a solid defensive performance.

-

Newell's 0 - 3 River Plate
Luna x2, Cabonero

Another solid victory against a very tough Newell's side.

-

River Plate 3 - 2 Banfield
Fabbro, Villalva, OG

First half we got 3 superb goals including a great diving header from the opposing centreback. In the second half we took the gas off the pedal against struggling Banfield and conceded two scrappy goals late on but stayed strong to grind out the victory.

-

Tigre 1 - 2 River Plate
Luna x2

Lanzini picked up a little injury and needed to be removed but the result was never in question. The side was weakened but still battled through.

-

River Plate 4 - 0 Tolima (Copa Libertadores)
Rojas x3, Sanchez

Bested this Colombian outfit yet again. Rojas missed a penalty to put his hattrick at risk but converted the rebounded effort. Easy win against the easiest team in the group.

-

River Plate 4 - 1 Velez
Luna, Rendon, Mercado x2

Crushed Velez and got their manager sacked but Cirigliano and Rendon picked up injuries.

-

Cruz Azul 0 - 4 River Plate (Copa Libertadores)
Sanchez, Cabonero x2, Mercado

Insane win against a Mexican team we were expected to lose heavily to. Balanta picked up an injury though.

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 379020

We're dominating and went through this month with a 100% win ratio. I had concerns leaving players may not be up to it but they were.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 379022
Gabriel Mercado

Superb from the RB, he scored goals, got assists and clean sheets.

MARCH UPDATE
View attachment 379333

River Plate 4 - 0 Belgrano
Luna x2, Carbonero, Rojas

Good win to start the month, Mercado and Maidana picked up small injuries though. Rojas got his goal off the bench to continue his great form.

-

Arsenal de Sarandi 1 - 2 River Plate
Luna, Vangioni

Villalva had a good game, creating both goals. Vangioni scored a terrific longshot to guarantee the victory against a strong Arsenal.

-

Gimnasia 2 - 2 River Plate (Copa Argentina)
Gimnasia win 3-1 on penalties
Villan x2

The young striker Villan was given his debut in this seemingly easy Copa Argentina draw. The youngster only took 26 seconds to break the deadlock setting a new record but for each goal he scored the lower league opposition responded with a suberb goal. Their player Mendoza got sent off for two yellow cards but we couldn't capitalize on it in the last 20 minutes.

-

River Plate 4 - 0 Universidad de Chile
Carbonero, Luna x3

I expected more opposition from the Chilean outfit but even they fell against the might of our first choice XI. Luna continued his great scoring form.

-

Independiente 0 - 2 River Plate
Maidana, Ferreyra

Maidana scored again from the RB position, he seems to do it whenever he plays there. Ferreyra added another goal late on to assure victory.

-

Estudiantes 0 - 1 River Plate
Fabbro

It was looking like we were going to lose the 100% league form in this game but Fabbro, who's been somewhat out of form in late, stepped up his game and scored a great individual goal in the 88th minute.

-

River Plate 2 - 0 Rosario Central
Luna, Lanzini

This game was done and dusted by half time. Luna got his regular goal and helped assist the second by charging down the keeper who then failed his clearance and it landed at the feet of Lanzini who put it in the empty net from 20 yards.

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 379334

Still 100% in the league! A small blip in the cup means that I won't be able to leave Argentina with all of the cups on my CV but it's not that important anyway. Luna continues to dominate and is stepping up whilst Villalva and Fabbro are struggling to get goals.

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 379335
Leonardo Vangioni

The LB scored again this month and assisted many more. One of the unsung heroes of the team so far and is often one of the first names on my team sheet.

1. The champion in Argentina is either the team who wins both the APERTURA and the CLAUSURA or if different teams win each then there is a final match to decide.
2. Argentina in FM 13 as I say in MANUMAD's BOX OF CHOCCYS is ****** up as by the end of the first season you get a wage cut and no transfer money WHATEVER YOU DO (I even won the lot incl COPA LIBERTADORES and it happened) meaning that you cant renew contracts and end up with miniscule squads. I had to give up a TIGRE and NEWELL'S save. Only team that was barely playable in the second season was ARSENAL DE SARANDI cos they have a big squad to start with.

1. The champion in Argentina is either the team who wins both the APERTURA and the CLAUSURA or if different teams win each then there is a final match to decide.
2. Argentina in FM 13 as I say in MANUMAD's BOX OF CHOCCYS is ****** up as by the end of the first season you get a wage cut and no transfer money WHATEVER YOU DO (I even won the lot incl COPA LIBERTADORES and it happened) meaning that you cant renew contracts and end up with miniscule squads. I had to give up a TIGRE and NEWELL'S save. Only team that was barely playable in the second season was ARSENAL DE SARANDI cos they have a big squad to start with.

I'm starting to get to the point where money is ruining the league actually, it's why I'm leaving at the end of the season. Although the youth intakes look like they could fill out the squad with players that are more then capable.

APRIL UPDATE
View attachment 379595

Universidad de Chile 2 - 5 River Plate (Copa Libertadores)
Fabbro x3, Ferreyra, Funes Mori

Dominated the Chilean outfit away from home with sub striker Funes Mori even getting on the score sheet. These were also the first goals conceded of our Copa Libertadores campaign so far.

-

River Plate 1 - 1 San Lorenzo
Luna

Luna got a bad injury here which see's him out of action for a number of weeks. As well as that we picked up 5 yellow cards in this rivalry match and dropped our first points of the season.

-

River Plate 1 - 0 Cruz Azul (Copa Libertadores)
Ferreyra

FM crashed at the first attempt of this when I won 1-0 and then I reloaded and the exact same result happened, however Ponzio and Cirigliano picked up long term injuries.

-

Lanus 2 - 1 River Plate
Ferreyra

The first loss of the season against a Lanus side that we lost to last season, they seem to be a somewhat bogey team.

-

Colon 0 - 4 River Plate
Balanta, Ferreyra, Villalva x2

Back to winning ways by stuffing Colon. Villalva and Ferreyra stepping up to the plate now Luna is out.

-

Tolima 1 - 4 River Plate (Copa Libertadores)
Lanzini, Funes Mori x2, Villalva

With both Luna and Fabbro injured I had no choice but to play the rare partnership of Mori and Villalva and it paid off with the two of them combining brilliantly to claim the victory. We were already qualified though so it wasn't overly important.

-

River Plate 6 - 1 Quilmes
Funes Mori x3 (1 pen), Maidana, Mercado, Ferreyra

Perfect offensive performance from the team. Despite my assistant not rating Funes Mori very highly he's definitely performing with 5 goals in just 2 games. One more win should see us lift the closing stage of the Argentinian league.

-

Cruz Azul 2 - 4 River Plate (Copa Libertadores)
Lanzini, Funes Mori, Villalva, Ferreyra

First knockout stage against a team I've already played? Strange but true. We struggled to get going but did find our pace towards the end and netted 4 away goals - that should see us through.

-

SUMMARY
View attachment 379596

League form is somewhat less impressive then in earlier months of the season but it's still title contender form and from the looks of things that's what we're going to be this season. Providing no slip ups of course. And because this is youth intake month I have some more gems this month (and I made sure to sign them up myself this year):

View attachment 379597 View attachment 379598 View attachment 379599

-

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
View attachment 379600
Gabriel Funes Mori

A player that in the earlier stages of my reign at River was completely ignored dues to his reported lack of ability... How wrong I've been. The 23 year old has lit up River this month with a series of goalscoring appearances and great team play.

Back