The Great San Marino Challenge

I think I'll try this for FM13. The NT looks better than last year as well, Mirko Palazzi is available for selection. There's also a decent looking CM called Maicol Berretti. Lots of funds to rebuild the club side as well. Another intriguing thing is that there's now a semi-pro Sammarinese club that is feeder to San Marino and looks capable of producing some decent regens, about as capable as the main club. Some bloke called Mattia Censoni, who's 100% Sammarinese looks like he'll become a better CB than Juri Biordi, so it looks a lot easier than last year.

Last edited:
I think I'll try this for FM13. The NT looks better than last year as well, Mirko Palazzi is available for selection. There's also a decent looking CM called Maicol Berretti. Lots of funds to rebuild the club side as well. Another intriguing thing is that there's now a semi-pro Sammarinese club that is feeder to San Marino and looks capable of producing some decent regens, about as capable as the main club. Some bloke called Mattia Censoni, who's 100% Sammarinese looks like he'll become a better CB than Juri Biordi, so it looks a lot easier than last year.

out of interest which side is it that's semi pro? my guess would be Tre Fiori. I'd like to know reasy for when i get teh game and recreate the Campionato Sammarinese so I know who i've got to dethrone this year.

out of interest which side is it that's semi pro? my guess would be Tre Fiori. I'd like to know reasy for when i get teh game and recreate the Campionato Sammarinese so I know who i've got to dethrone this year.
It's a new team called Federazione Sammarinese though they don't appear to play in the Campionato Sammarinese although we'll only ever be able to tell once we've got the editor. If they don't play in it; it would be fun to create an extra version so they can play in it. It appears to be a venture by the Sammarinese FA to give proper training to the most promising SM prospects that were cast off by San Marino Calcio.

Last edited:
It's a new team called Federazione Sammarinese though they don't appear to play in the Campionato Sammarinese although we'll only ever be able to tell once we've got the editor. If they don't play in it; it would be fun to create an extra version so they can play in it.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the sammarinese version of the FA as it translates as Federation San Marino.

It's a new team called Federazione Sammarinese though they don't appear to play in the Campionato Sammarinese although we'll only ever be able to tell once we've got the editor. If they don't play in it; it would be fun to create an extra version so they can play in it.

think I've heard of that IRL, it's some kind of youth academy team created and controlled by the Sammarinese FA. Hopefully they can be the SM version of Clairefontaine in Football Manager ;)

That certainly makes the challenge much more interesting imo

think I've heard of that IRL, it's some kind of youth academy team created and controlled by the Sammarinese FA. Hopefully they can be the SM version of Clairefontaine in Football Manager ;)

That certainly makes the challenge much more interesting imo
I know, all the players are nineteen or younger. It certainly makes the challenge more interesting and two academies producing good SM regens is a mouth watering prospect. I wonder if the game will allow them to play in Europe.

2012-2013

Haven't played for a very long time, but with fm 2013 nearly here I decided to play fm 2012 once more, and with fm 2012 I mean this challenge.

Season is going very well, 1st place, so I think The Great Escape is within grasps. Furthermore I upset Inter and Lazio in the Italian Cup (thank god for the youth teams they send in). But to prove I did it:

View attachment 279753

I admit I did need penalties to beat them, so if that doesn't count I'll upload the win against Inter.

I know, all the players are nineteen or younger. It certainly makes the challenge more interesting and two academies producing good SM regens is a mouth watering prospect. I wonder if the game will allow them to play in Europe.

pretty sure they can't play in europe as they're in fact a youth team. I think in FM world they'll be pretty much like Clairefontaine or the old Glen Hoddle Academy. It will be interesting to see if San Marino as parent club can give financial support (as I heard it's a new option for feeder/parent club partnership) and help improving facilities and recruitment of this Federazione Sammarinese team.

@Tacos: a PK win definitely counts :)

pretty sure they can't play in europe as they're in fact a youth team. I think in FM world they'll be pretty much like Clairefontaine or the old Glen Hoddle Academy. It will be interesting to see if San Marino as parent club can give financial support (as I heard it's a new option for feeder/parent club partnership) and help improving facilities and recruitment of this Federazione Sammarinese team.
Well you never know, it's probably hard coded into the game that they can't though. In game it says that San Marino have first option on their players, we can send players on loan to them, they can send youth players to us (this should improve youth intakes and the amount of Sammarinese regens coming through) and the link can't be terminated. I'm don't think you'll be able to provide them with cash for facility upgrades but it'd add even more extra spice to the challenge if you can.

Nice, also I am very proud 8-| to announce that the San Marino NT Manager position is finally mine, although the first friendly ended in an embarrasing 0-1 loss against Kuwait :(, much work to be done.

I have a question, my NT was filled with greyed players, is there a way to remove them or is this a bug?

Kandersson, I don't know if this helps the challenge in any way or has no effect but I found an unbelievably good coach at Tre Fiori:
View attachment 279768
I wish he was their or Federazione Sammarinese's head of youth development since he's really good. Continental A license is the second highest coaching qualification so what he's doing in the SM leagues is beyond me.

where it says database size and tehre's a choice out of small, medium or large, there's also a custom option where you can chose to load all players of nationality, then select san marino from the list.

also downloading and using the san marino league will make sure the national team is available.

Thanks.

Kandersson, I don't know if this helps the challenge in any way or has no effect but I found an unbelievably good coach at Tre Fiori:
View attachment 279768
I wish he was their or Federazione Sammarinese's head of youth development since he's really good. Continental A license is the second highest coaching qualification so what he's doing in the SM leagues is beyond me.

had to google about him and found out this Zauli guy has a reputation of being a good youth coach at national level. He actually runs his own youth academy - also has a website - with particluar focus on technique and ball skills. He has also worked for Cesena and is currently collaborating with SM FA holding courses for SM youth coaches.

Think I'd poach him immediately and give him a job at SM club in FM13 as he looks like a 4.5 stars technique coach!

had to google about him and found out this Zauli guy has a reputation of being a good youth coach at national level. He actually runs his own youth academy - also has a website - with particluar focus on technique and ball skills. He has also worked for Cesena and is currently collaborating with SM FA holding courses for SM youth coaches.

Think I'd poach him immediately and give him a job at SM club in FM13 as he looks like a 4.5 stars technique coach!
Thanks, I've already tried to poach him and he's not interested though, he is my NTs U21 assistant manager though. Also is it just me or does the SM FA have a lot of cash for a nation where the domestic top division is amateur, the NT have no ranking points and the population is under 40K. He also looks a good tactics coach.

Last edited:
Getting really annoyed by the Sammarinese media at the moment. They keep on having a rant at me for choosing Andy Selva in my international squad. Are these pundits idiots or what? They even told me off for choosing the third best goalkeeper in the country as third choice in my squad, the media have gone mental.

Thanks, I've already tried to poach him and he's not interested though, he is my NTs U21 assistant manager though. Also is it just me or does the SM FA have a lot of cash for a nation where the domestic top division is amateur, the NT have no ranking points and the population is under 40K. He also looks a good tactics coach.

San Marino is a ridiculously rich country, and a famous tax haven...

San Marino is a ridiculously rich country, and a famous tax haven...
Fair point, but how they spend a ton on football when in real life they'll never make the top one hundred is beyond me. I'm fine with it if it makes the SM challenge easier though.

end of season

My season has finally ended, a big gap between me and the runner-up, but I'm not happy with performances after christmas. All loses and most draws were recorded in the months january, february etc..

View attachment 279934

Was on a 22 run of unbeaten games, but then I lost 4-1 against Andria, too bad. Furthermore a player some of you might be interested in:

View attachment 279935

Got him on a loan from my parent club, Cesena. Scorza was injured (of course :() so I loaned him to fill the void, and he scored about 20 goals. Next season he's mine, got him on a free transfer. Next the new regens for the San Marino NT:

View attachment 279936 View attachment 279937

The first one is a striker, and a good one. Probably the best striker my NT has at this point. In 3 matches he scored twice!!! Hopefully he will become the new national top goalscorer.The second one is a midfielder. Played him in the national team as well. Also seems to be a future star.Serie B here I come.

Last edited:
With my updated transfers / promotions etc. I managed to get back to back promotions to Serie A, where I am now sitting top at the beginning of March 2014 :O. Poor seasons from the big guns, and some good results with an average serie A team. Will get some screen shots up of my seasons so far when i work out how :/