The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.

wayne seator

Reaction score
The growth of New Zealand football to 2018 and beyond.

Being from New Zealand I had to weigh up a story of being either the All Whites or the Wellington Phoenix. I have chosen the All Whites. Now just some things about New Zealand football, first the world ranking is 101st which needs to be improved. With only 1 professional team in New Zealand most players either play overseas or are semi-professional. The aim is to qualify for the 2018 world cup. With no competitive games in sight I have gone about arranging friendlies.

Games in 2014:
Sept: Gibraltar and United Arab Emirates away tour.
Oct: Canada and Trinidad and Tobago home
Nov: Georgia and Faroe Islands.
These games have been set up in a manor to increase the win ratio for the All Whites and hopefully increase the world standings.

Key Players
Name/ club/ caps/ goals
Goal keeper: Glen Moss/ Wellington Phoenix/ 29/ 0
Defender: Winston Reid/ West Ham/ 14/ 1
Midfielder: Marco Rojas/ Thun/ 17/ 1
Striker: Chris Wood/ Leicester/ 34/ 12

As I will be aiming to develop a base squad of around 30 players there will be a lot of squad rotation while we have no competitive games. This will give me an idea of who is up to the challenge of qualifying for the world cup and who is just dead wood.

The Tactics

So there will be 2 main tactics I will be using our starting formation will be a 4321 DM formation and for when we are chasing a game it will be a 4231 wide formation. The only instructions I will setting is direct passing and play wider.

So there will be 2 main tactics I will be using our starting formation will be a 4321 DM formation and for when we are chasing a game it will be a 4231 wide formation. The only instructions I will setting is direct passing and play wider.

this my favourite tactic,
o.png

The first Squad.

So here is the first squad I have named. 2 main players missing are Glen Moss and Shane Smeltz. Moss is missing through injury and Smeltz is just rested. Players to potentially make their debut are Tomas Doyle at left back and Stefan Marinovic in goal.

Last edited:
All Whites vs Gibraltar

The Starting 11

GK Gleeson
LB Hogg
RB Roux
CB Sigmund
CB Reid (c)
DM Tuiloma
CM McGlinchey
CM Payne
LW Rojas
RW Barbarouses
ST Wood

At the end of this tour Ben Sigmund will retire from International football so in a way this is treated as his farewell tour. So in both games he will start unless he is injured. In other team news left back Thomas Doyle has not recovered from his broken nose yet but will make a start vs UAE.

Match Report

1st goal from a corner whipped in by Tim Payne slotted home by Ian Hogg NZ 1 nil up
Half time 1 nil NZ
2nd goal free kick delivered by Chris James scored by Kosta Barbarouses
Full time 2 nil NZ

Now just a little bit about the game. Nice and easy win, we created a lot of chances but only put 2 away. The team looked good and deserved the win. We only had 50% possession due to the direct passing instructions maybe it will be something I have to look into in the future.

All Whites vs UAE

The Starting 11

GK Spoonley
LB Doyle
RB Tuiloma
CB Sigmund
CB Reid (c)
DM Payne
CM Howieson
CM James
LW Rojas
RW Thomas
ST Boyd

This will be Ben Sigmund’s last game with the All Whites so he gets the nod although he is a little tired. Wood, Barbarouses are on the bench because they are in need of rest and Spoonley has a chance to prove his worth as the 2nd keeper in the squad. Also getting there chance is Doyle and Howieson to prove they have something to offer the squad.

Match Report

1st goal goes to Marco Rojas header on the far post after a deep cross from Bill Tuiloma
2nd goal for NZ and Marco Rojas. A tap in from 6 yard out after Boyd put a good ball across the 6 yard box
Half time 2-0 All whites.
Sigmund Last yellow card for NZ.
1st goal for UAE score 2-1
3rd goal for NZ a dangerous cross from Thomas Doyle tapped in by Chris Wood
4th goal for NZ free kick whipped in by Ryan Thomas headed in by Andrew Durante
5th goal for NZ Ryan Thomas deep cross header by Chris Wood

What a way to see of Ben Sigmund with a 5-1 over 65th rank team UAE. Man of the Match was Ryan Thomas with his 90 minute performance which included 2 assists. The whole team played well and looks good heading towards the future.

Interested in this as being a fellow Kiwi! Hope you get an easy team for the playoffs

Team Selection

We have two home games, first of we have Canada and the second game is vs Trinidad and Tobago. Glen Moss returns from injury to replace Jacob Spoonley who is out injured, Also out of the squad with injury is Tim Payne. Other exclusions to the squad is the recently retired Ben Sigmund and Jason Hicks who is lacking match practise. Inclusions are Wellington Phoenix players Michael Boxall and Alex Rufer and also Sydney FC’s Shane Smeltz who is 5 goals of being the All Whites top ever goal scorer.

Potential debuts could go to Rufer and also goal keeper Stefan Marinovic.

After the wins in the last international break the All Whites have moved up 6 placings in the FIFA world rankings to 95th.

Dropping like flies.

Marco Rojas and Bill Tuiloma have been pulled out of the squad with injuries that may even keep them out of the next international window as well. Replacing them is Clayton Lewis and David Mulligan.

Michael McGlinchey has pulled out with injury and Aaron Clapham replaces him.

All Whites vs Canada

The Starting 11

GK Moss
LB Doyle
RB Roux
CB Smith
CB Reid (c)
DM Mulligan
CM Keat
CM James
LW Thomas
RW Barbarouses
ST Wood

Solid team, pretty much what NZ team will be for next few years with Rojas on wings also.

Match Report

Glen Moss saves a penalty
1st goal NZ. Chris Wood scores with an effort just inside the 18 yard box
1st goal Canada. Free kick directly into the top corner.
2nd goal Canada. Super volley from corner.

Final score a disappointing 2-1 loss against a team ranked 116 in the world.