The help me my team can't win for **** story about a team that decides not to win!

nuzikdude

Reaction score
im now in my second season with the mighty Os and I have to say hands down this is the shittest game of FM i have played. I have got promoted with Barnet, got sheff wed to the prem and taken some ****** team in spain to the top flight but never had i had a saved game like this one. Its a network game as well.

Im struggling with any form of constancy and getting anything to actually work, trying 4231, 442, 352, 451, 541, 433 literally everything i can win a game get on the up and then suddenly i lose a few and im in the dull-drums. Struggling against ****** teams as well.

This is my current team, now they are pretty good i would personally say the best i have ever had in league Two without a doubt and no doubt that they are good enough to be winning the league and taking it in their stride. But alas no
View attachment 115030

You can see from my schedule that i am struggling to get any consistancy and i am now dropping down the league table
View attachment 115029

My profile struggled last season as well
View attachment 115028

finally the league table
View attachment 115027

so im asking for help and advice, who would do what how will it help. Share some love im off work today so will be trolling this thread all day so i can give quick responses, ive just learnt a 433 but struggle to score!! ******* wankers.

Well your an experienced player so saying the silly generic advice i will not work so i will just pass onto the more useful stuff...

FM17 is not all about quick fixes, infact if you use the same tactic for 6 months or more your players will only get better with it. Dont jump from tactic to tactic all the time it only hinders you.

League 2 is somewhere between skillful and route one, it can be hard to find a natural blend between the two. I found a 4-1-2-3 with attacking wingbacks worked really well, a TM in-between two CF upfront with your full backs mixing there crosses up really worked well. Control/Counter depending on the team your playing. Dont be scared to drop your defence line back, alot of people want high pressing defences but unless you have great pace at the back you can be murdered by hopeful over the top punts

Give it a try and let me know.

Last edited:
Cheers dude, for the info. Ive tried a high line at the back and a deep one to allow the ageing centre backs a chance to read the game better rather than rushing in. I see there is a lot of talk of False Nines playing well in the game, i know its about getting the players to gel and not tinkering i suppose too much but when you lose a couple in a row it does become a stage of slipping out of the playoffs and the bored wanting to terminate your employment.
If you are playing one TM what are the others playing? I made a lovely tactic that kept the ball amazingly passed lovely set up some but without a top shadow striker it was pointless, i had one in spain and it worked a treat not so well over here.
I may look at my wingbacks and see if they are set up to attack or support. Im going to try a 433 with three at the top but not IF's or wingers like three proper strikers.

Frustrated post! :)

I do find in FM17 my team goes on big winning and losing streaks. I am going to duplicate another post but you need to work on a formation and stick to it BUT:
- Use the analysis tab (or pay attention) if there is a specific formation you are struggling against and figure on what your plan b is. I have one that often results in a draw for me, but it keeps the unbeaten streak going and can avoid a losing streak starting.

- I'm using a fairly simple 4-4-2 (most of the time). but i've evolved it over time adjusting individual player instructions. e.g. I have added shoot less often to a lot of my players as i had a ridiculous number of long shots.

- Attached the screenshot, but I don't want to claim it's some killer tactic, i've never actually won the league i don't think, but ground out promotions normally after a couple years.

Plan AView attachment 114907

Plan B
View attachment 114906

I've had similar issues despite being experienced and successful on every FM since 09 - 2nd season at Liverpool after coming 4th and winning FA cup I couldn't find any consistency and ended up being sacked mid season. Now at Celta having similar issues, struggling to find a formation that fits the players effectively (the teams main strengths are high work rate, long shots and pace?).