danichese

Reaction score
On this forum I have seen many users trying to emulate tactics and styles of play from different teams such as how to play like Barcelona and how to manage like Mourinho.

This thread intends to emulate the style of management of Ian Holloway and the style of play of Blackpool.

The First thing I will look at is how Blackpool have the self belief that they can win every game they play and what tactic they employ.

I think self belief is down to Ian Holloway, he gets behind the players and if you see him press conferences he always supports and bigs up his players.

When you look at how the tangerines play, Holloway has a three man midfield that he employs, each have a set role. Holloway has openly said that he likes the system employed by Spain, so ideally he wants an enforcer, a give and go player and an attack force within the three.
On the rest of the field he has a lone striker and 2 wingers ahead of this midfield and a flat back 4 defence.

I feel that the style of play would be a very rigid one, when blackpool are at home they like to get the ball about, when they are away they like to crowd the midfield and look for the counter.

The tactic I intend to create, will be used to test with Blackpool, without any additional signings, only using the talent available to me.

The tactic will be a 4-3-3, with inside forwards and a supporting striker to help midfield and the team with a counter starting strategy.

The philosophy will be very rigid as Holloway likes to have a set role for each player.​

Media Interaction​
Now because of Holloway's extreme personality, its fair to say when you are in a press conference you can only go for the top or the bottom answer, no middle ground, that's how Holloway rolls, also if you are asked any questions about your players, always praise them, never publicly criticize them, only do that in private chat.​

Screenshots will be added with regular updates and feed back would be brilliant​

Pre-Season Review​
preseasonfixtures.jpg

As you can see we had a very easy pre-season, and despite the loss against real madrid, i felt that the tangerines had a cracking game. Real Madrid by the way had 7 first teamers out.

statsbpvsrm.jpg

T
Top Players of Pre-Season​
Elliot Grandin Having an amazing pre-season, one goal, two assist, two MOM and an average rating of 7.78
Charlie Adam Who else? This guy is amazing in real life and i hope that he can replicate his form ingame, two assists and an average rating of 7.28
Gary Taylor-Fletcher This man is really enjoying his time on the right flank, notching up three goals, one assist and an average rating of 7.97​

I will do another review after ten league games, any screenshot requests will be accepted and any other queries aswell​

After ten games​

blackpoolblackpoolfixtu.png

Four Wins, Four Defeats and Two Draws​

League Table​
englishpremierdivisionim.png

Bit of a slow start to be honest, and I am going to put this down to the players getting used to my tactic, also i have also broken my rule on playing with the original squad, i have made one signing, a free agent by the name of Abderrahman Kabous, he is a very decent BWM in a defend role.
I mentioned before about the 3 man midfield system, i have Abderrahman Kabous as my enforcer, a BWM with a defend duty, David Vaughan as my give it and go player, CM support and i have Charlie Adam as my attacking force, Advanced playmaker attack
Highlight of the past ten games include beating chelsea on penalties in the league cup, Lows would include my shocking away form, so in my next review i will be addressing that.​
The next review will be at the end of the season, wish me luck and if you want any screenshots or need any questions asking about the tactic etc. feel free to ask​

Last edited:
This thread intends to emulate the style of management of Ian Holloway and the style of play of Blackpool....

The home tactic will be a 4-2-3-1, with the wingers playing very wide and a lot of direct football with a standard starting strategy.

Since when did Blackpool play long ball? Surely it would be "short passing", slow tempo etc.

EDIT: Look forward to trying it out though! Screenshots and a little more detail about them in-game would be interesting.

Last edited:
Good effort, but you cant emulate holloway because his key is relationships with his players

Good to see something a bit different, and also good to see Olli getting some credit.

They just don't have the right options in press conferences for Holloway.
In all seriousness should be a good idea and look forward to seeing how it works.

thanks lads, im just in the friendlys atm, im just sick of people posting tactics which work with the top 4 teams, if this pays off im going to start looking at lower league teams which have had tactical success on the pitch and the right management of the pitch

@ Joss
In all but one of their victories this season they have had less than 50% possession, which would imply that they didnt have a lot of the ball therefore a short passing and slow tempo would give them more possession than 50% IMO, also holloway encourages his team to attack, so i feel a a direct style within rigid philosophy would suit blackpool well

@nilelg5
With private chat you can build key relationships with players, also by publicly saying your happy with a players form and defending a players poor form can also build a good relationship.

@calum1994
i agree but the options are ordered from one extreme to the other, so holloway would never give a middle answer if you get what i mean

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

*The Pre-Season has been added to the OP*

will give these a go mate :)

Thank you, just to let you know, these aren't plug and play tactics, they are suited just for blackpool, but if they work for other clubs and you find success with them, it would be great for some feedback.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

@Pafclad
Don't use the home tactic, not really getting the results i want.

First game using the away tactic!:wub:

Very good pal, have you got any more results?

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:56 PM ----------

*First ten game review in OP*

Good results only thing is your conceding a lot of goals when you loose

Good results only thing is your conceding a lot of goals when you loose

Its the most frustrating thing as well, i dont just lose, i get taken apart i am definitively going to address this tonight.

I would loosing 4-0 to West Brom and 5-0 to Blackburn ;)

But on the whole some brilliant results. I mean your saying it's frustrating giving a load of goals away but you denied Chelsea of scoring :) well apart from the penalties!