The "How many years to gain nationality" thread

Raikan007

Reaction score
This may not be necessary as it is shown in the personal tab. However it may just be as it will only be shown how many days it takes when the player is residing in the country...

Please note:

some of the information regarding the years to gain nationality may be incorrect, kindly offer your suggestions if they are wrong and will edit the post!

thanks.

European Countries:

Albania-N/A
Andorra-5 Years
Armenia-N/A
Austria-5 Years
Azerbaijan-N/A
Belarus-N/A
Belgium-3 Years
Bosnia-3 Years
Bulgaria-N/A
Croatia-5 Years
Cyprus-5 Years
Czech R-5 Years
Denmark-7 Years
England- 5 years
Estonia-5 Years
Faroe Islands-N/A
Finland-N/A
France-5 Years
Macedonia-3 Years
Georgia-N/A
Germany-5 Years
Greece-10 Years!
Holland-5 Years
Hungary-N/A
Iceland-N/A
Ireland-5 Years
Israel-5 Years
Italy- 5 Years
Kazakhstan-N/A
Latvia-5 Years
Liechtenstein- 5 Years
Lithuania-5 Years
Luxembourg-5 Years
Malta-5 Years
Moldova-N/A
Montenegro-3 Years
N.Ireland- 5 Years
Norway-7 Years
Poland-3 Years
Portugal-5 Years
Romania- 5 years
Russia-12 Years
San Marino - Never!
Scotland- 5 Years
Serbia-3 Years
Slovakia- 8 years
Slovenia-10 Years
Spain-4 Years
Sweden- 5 years
Switzerland- 5 Years
Turkey- 10 Years
Ukraine- 5 years
Wales-N/A

Players from the countries below will take a maximum of 2 years to gain nationality when residing in Spain (plus a couple of months for the player's paperwork to go through)

Argentina
Bolivia
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Honduras
Guatemala
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Puerto Rico (US)
Uruguay
Venezuela
Philippines
Equatorial Guinea
Brazil
Andorra

Credit: DeKnegt - the Dugout

The Kolpak Ruling:

Thus the Kolpak Ruling declares that citizens of countries which have applicable Association Agreements with the EU, and who are lawfully working within a EU country, have equal rights to work as EU citizens, and cannot have restrictions such as quotas placed upon them. Such countries include those within the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group of states, such as South Africa, Jamaica and Zimbabwe.

Africa

• 22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png
    South Africa
  • 22px-Flag_of_Swaziland.svg.png
    Swaziland
  • 22px-Flag_of_Lesotho.svg.png
    Lesotho
  • 22px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png
    Mozambique
  • 22px-Flag_of_Namibia.svg.png
    Namibia
  • 22px-Flag_of_Angola.svg.png
    Angola
  • 22px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg.png
    Botswana

EAC group

Caribbean

All countries of the Caribbean Community plus Dominican Republic group negotiate in the CARIFORUM EPA with the EU. The related EU OCTs are: Aruba, Bermuda,British Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Montserratand the related EU outermost regions are Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy.
Pacific

All countries of the Pacific Islands Forum group negotiate in the Pacific EPA with the EU. The related EU OCTs are: New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, French Polynesia, Pitcairn islands.
North Atlantic

In this region are located the EU OCTs of Greenland and Saint Pierre and Miquelon, but there are no ACP states.
South Atlantic

In this region are located the EU OCTs of Saint Helena and Falkland Islands, but there are no ACP states.Nevertheless Saint Helena is developing links with the SADC EPA group.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! A n00bish question though...Does it mean that players playing in countries like Albania, Armenia etc will never become citizens there?

I am still busy researching all of the N/A's and will update accordingly mate :)

ok :)..i did notice that Ukraine wasn't mentioned in the days to gain nationality tab for any of the foreign players when i was managing there

great thread!
my little contribution:

Italy: 5 years
Liechtenstein: 5 years (learnt playing with Vaduz)
San Marino: NEVER (I heard it would be 30 years IRL though)

and I may be wrong but Croatia takes less time if my memory serves, maybe 2 years?

I believe all of the countries in the UK share the same time period of 5 years.

Is the Kolpak ruling in game? I remember having WP issues with a SA regen I was signing before :/

How does the Kolpak ruling work when there are foreign player restrictions?

I know France can sign all the kolpak players they want (which is enticing when wanting to play as a french team) but in Italy Serie A you can only sign one foreign player from outside of Italy.

has italy not ratified the ruling or something?

This may not be necessary as it is shown in the personal tab. However it may just be as it will only be shown how many days it takes when the player is residing in the country...

Please note:

some of the information regarding the years to gain nationality may be incorrect, kindly offer your suggestions if they are wrong and will edit the post!

thanks.

European Countries:

Albania-N/A
Andorra-5 Years
Armenia-N/A
Austria-5 Years
Azerbaijan-N/A
Belarus-N/A
Belgium-3 Years
Bosnia-3 Years
Bulgaria-N/A
Croatia-5 Years
Cyprus-5 Years
Czech R-5 Years
Denmark-7 Years
England- 5 years
Estonia-5 Years
Faroe Islands-N/A
Finland-N/A
France-5 Years
Macedonia-3 Years
Georgia-N/A
Germany-5 Years
Greece-10 Years!
Holland-5 Years
Hungary-N/A
Iceland-N/A
Ireland-5 Years
Israel-5 Years
Italy- 5 Years
Kazakhstan-N/A
Latvia-5 Years
Liechtenstein- 5 Years
Lithuania-5 Years
Luxembourg-5 Years
Malta-5 Years
Moldova-N/A
Montenegro-3 Years
N.Ireland- 5 Years
Norway-7 Years
Poland-3 Years
Portugal-5 Years
Romania- 5 years
Russia-12 Years
San Marino - Never!
Scotland- 5 Years
Serbia-3 Years
Slovakia- 8 years
Slovenia-10 Years
Spain-4 Years
Sweden- 5 years
Switzerland- 5 Years
Turkey- 10 Years
Ukraine- 5 years
Wales-N/A

Players from the countries below will take a maximum of 2 years to gain nationality when residing in Spain (plus a couple of months for the player's paperwork to go through)

Argentina
Bolivia
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Honduras
Guatemala
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Paraguay
Peru
Puerto Rico (US)
Uruguay
Venezuela
Philippines
Equatorial Guinea
Brazil
Andorra

Credit: DeKnegt - the Dugout

The Kolpak Ruling:

Thus the Kolpak Ruling declares that citizens of countries which have applicable Association Agreements with the EU, and who are lawfully working within a EU country, have equal rights to work as EU citizens, and cannot have restrictions such as quotas placed upon them. Such countries include those within the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group of states, such as South Africa, Jamaica and Zimbabwe.

Africa

EAC group

Caribbean

All countries of the Caribbean Community plus Dominican Republic group negotiate in the CARIFORUM EPA with the EU. The related EU OCTs are: Aruba, Bermuda,British Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Montserratand the related EU outermost regions are Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy.
Pacific

All countries of the Pacific Islands Forum group negotiate in the Pacific EPA with the EU. The related EU OCTs are: New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, French Polynesia, Pitcairn islands.
North Atlantic

In this region are located the EU OCTs of Greenland and Saint Pierre and Miquelon, but there are no ACP states.
South Atlantic

In this region are located the EU OCTs of Saint Helena and Falkland Islands, but there are no ACP states.Nevertheless Saint Helena is developing links with the SADC EPA group.

Was just discussing this with my mate about our network game and was trying to find exactly what you have posted. The timescales seem to be pretty spot on. Thanks

How does the Kolpak ruling work when there are foreign player restrictions?

I know France can sign all the kolpak players they want (which is enticing when wanting to play as a french team) but in Italy Serie A you can only sign one foreign player from outside of Italy.

has italy not ratified the ruling or something?

Italy just have the no more than 1 non-EU signing, not just foreign. :) So you can sign all the Spanish, French players etc. you like.

Italy just have the no more than 1 non-EU signing, not just foreign. :) So you can sign all the Spanish, French players etc. you like.

As the Kolpak ruling states, there can be no quotas set. "1 non-EU" is a quota.

Which leads me to believe that the Italian government hasn't ratified the entire ruling. Not only can I not sign more than 1 non EU from outside of EU, but I cannot sign more than 1 non EU working within Europe (which is contrary to the Kolpak ruling).

As the Kolpak ruling states, there can be no quotas set. "1 non-EU" is a quota.

Which leads me to believe that the Italian government hasn't ratified the entire ruling. Not only can I not sign more than 1 non EU from outside of EU, but I cannot sign more than 1 non EU working within Europe (which is contrary to the Kolpak ruling).

EDIT: Misunderstood you. I know that the Italian FA couldn't overrule the EU irl, so it's probably just sloppy by SI in the implementation of the rule in game.

Last edited:
I'm unsure to be honest.

I know for a fact that Italy in real life has the 1 non EU rule. They actually made it 2 non EUs for next season.

Now I'm not sure whether Italian teams are allowed to sign more than 1 non EU playing in Europe and whether or not that was not implemented in Football Manager. Should probably find a person who follows Italian football and ask him/her about it.

I'm unsure to be honest.

I know for a fact that Italy in real life has the 1 non EU rule. They actually made it 2 non EUs for next season.

Now I'm not sure whether Italian teams are allowed to sign more than 1 non EU playing in Europe and whether or not that was not implemented in Football Manager. Should probably find a person who follows Italian football and ask him/her about it.

it is implemented correctly in FM. Italian clubs can only buy 1 non-EU per season from outside Italy (from the rest of Europe or Africa or Asia, it makes no difference). So no kolpak ruling, not sure why but that's the way it is. Probably a special law limited to football

it is implemented correctly in FM. Italian clubs can only buy 1 non-EU per season from outside Italy (from the rest of Europe or Africa or Asia, it makes no difference). So no kolpak ruling, not sure why but that's the way it is. Probably a special law limited to football

From wiki...

Thus the Kolpak Ruling declares that citizens of countries which have applicable Association Agreements with the EU (such as those listed in the original post), and who are lawfully working within a EU country, have equal rights to work as EU citizens, and cannot have restrictions such as quotas placed upon them

This would mean that legally, Italian clubs CANNOT be restricted from signing as many Non Europeans (who's nation has agreements), from Euro Union nations, as they want.

That is unless Italy has not ratified this EU ruling.

I know in Italy, they can only sign 1 non eu player from outside Italy is definitely a fact IRL -- that's why the sometimes get another time to buy a player for them, then sign him again for a fee

I was reffering to the Spanish league with regards to the Kolpak ruling.

Italy has the 1 non Eu per seasons rule!