The inside job (4-3-3 TACTIC)

Guldbrand

Reaction score
So, I recently started a game with my favorite team in Denmark, and it have been so huge a success so far, that I would like to share this tactic with you. I am currently top of the league with a mid table team. I am undefeated in 15 league games and with a gab of 10 points to FC Copenhagen in second place. I have won 12 games and 3 draws and have a score of 30-12 in the league.

The main objective with this tactic was to dominate and attack through the central area of the pitch, with short passing and intensive pressure – And that have been working perfectly so far.

The offensive part:

As you can see from my formation, and roles – then this tactic is about to get as many players central, to dominate this area – Have short passing to secure ball possession and uses underlap as a threat to the opponent. I also use low crosses, to keep ball possession and to secure the ball in the feet of my players. Therefore I do need players with strong mentalities and high tactical skills – such as Off the ball, vision, decisions along with good technical skills – But even though these skills are very usefull – I will also be looking for players that also have physical abilities as well, to secure a team that are strong in all areas – So a player like Modric – even as fantastic he is – would not be on my team, as he lack the physical abilities. Then rather have a player that contains all abilities although it’s on a lower skill level.. (But that is just my opinion)

This tactic is on my top 3 of all time tactics that I have made – and that is for one reason only: The numbers of goalscorers and assist makers. I previously made a tactic with Dortmund that was heavily reliable on Haaland, but in this tactic I have several players contributing to the goal scoring and making assists – so I am not reliable on a single player or role.

Some stats so far:

35 goals in total from 15 different goalscorers. (18 games)
  • 6 goals from inverted backs
  • 10 goals from central midfielders
33 assists from 14 different assist makers (18 games)
  • 8 assists from inverted back
  • 16 assists from central midfielders
offensive.png

The defensive part:
The defensive aim to have a intensive pressure on the opponent, but in a small area. I do have a very high defensive line, and I do also let the opponent have the ball in their back four – So this does leave me open against long balls behind my defensive line – But this have not been the greatest threat so far. Instead, I start to close down as soon as they start to build their play up through their midfield, and with a lot of players in the central area, I can have an effective pressure on the opponents. My line of engagement are set to low, so the area is not too large to cover for my pressing players If its too large, then it gives the opponent a bigger chance to play out of my pressure. And my philosophy is that as long as they have the ball in their third – then they are not a threat to me.

defensive.png

This tactic is not a plug-and.play tactic - I do see games in a comprehensive mode, to see and understand how the match are involving - And I am changing a few instruction based on the match - If I get too much ball possession but without creating any chances, then I play with a higher tempo, or i maybe reduce the tempo if i need more control of the game - The pressure system can also be changed according to my opponent and how they play etc etc.

I also do have a plan B system against team that have narrow formation with many central defending players. - It's very similar, but the IW are set to wingers instead and as offensive and with high floated crosses - One of my central midfielders are also very tall and good in air, so I pick him as the offensive central midfielder, as he then comes into the box and get chances from the crosses. - I also play with more width and focus down the flanks - and i sometimes uses "Work ball into box".

So far, I have played 18 games - so this tactic is far from well tested - But I have had succes, and without having players that fully fit my tactic either (only had a small budget, so only 1 player bought in). So I can only imaging I get better results, as I get players that fits more into my tactic.. But I hope more will try out this tactic, and share your results...

So I finish off the season and wanted to give a more detailed update to the save and my tactic.

First of all - I won the double, and I even won with a 21 point gab to second place - however they did perform badly, with a low amount of points - But none of the less, it was an impressive season.

23W 8D 1L and a GD on 36.

Liga stillingen.png

First thing I want to point out, are the passing in this tactic. I am by far the best performing team when it comes to passing and this both shows in the ball possession in every match - up to 60-70% in the majority of the games.

I have more than 200 passing more than the second best team, and by far the best when it comes to accuracy. I am of course very pleased with these numbers.

Passing.png

I am also very pleased, that this tactic are both strong in defense and offensive. I score 1.91 per game - not the highest compared to other tactics, but when I am also the team that concede the fewest goals, then I am very pleased. This is not a "score one goal more than your opponent" tactic, but this is a well balanced tactic.

Goal output.png

As you can see in this overview, we are successful in avoiding shots against us.
Defensive efficiency.png

One of my key objectives in this tactic, are to allow the opponent to have the ball in their third of the pitch, and then make it narrow in the central area of the pitch with aggressive pressing. As you can see, i only have 3% of my defensive actions in their third.

I would like to have more than 26% and 9% in the central area - But to be honest, I dont have anything to compare too - So i dont know if these numbers are good, or could be better - Anyone have any experience with this?

36% in the first column does sound high to me, from what I want it to be - But I dont know what is "normal or to be expected"
Only save I have from another game, I had 45% - So it might be that the 36% are good numbers.. I dont fully know.

Defensive actions.png

Also possession gained - Similar to the the above - and I am not fully sure I understand the different between these.
Possession gained, is where I believe I win the ball, and the above is where I have a defensive action (both actions i win and loose..?? )

possesion gained.png

Last images I want to share, are my team and player stats.
I have marked 3 with yellow - These are my prime inverted wings and offensive central midfielder - I am pleased with the amount of goals and assists they have provided.

Also, if you look of all the different goal scores and assist makers there are - then this shows how dangerous this tactic are from different areas - So this is not a one-man / one-position tactic, this is a well balanced tactic and that is what I am pleased about the most. My strikers are only scoring 1-2 goals more than my backs.. ;)

players.png

And just as a final comment.. This team of mine, is not in any particular way build for this play style. So I can only imaging, that this tactic would grow stronger with more suitable players and more skilled players.. I am only a mid table team.

Do you use any specific individual player instructions?

No, I dont use any individual instructions.

I do change the tempo doing matches.. If I have alot of ball possesion, but I dont scorer the goals or I am not creating enough chances - Then i go full tempo.. This is working quite good and have giving me the win against smaller teams that are sitting back and playing defensive.

Am i missing a download? Correct me if i have. :)
Would like to test this!