The International Rules Thread

Brian

Shelbourne Researcher
Reaction score
This is a thread mainly for the Irish and Austrailian people on the website to discuss the Internation rules series
The Sport and rules are explained here

The first game kicks off tonight at 7.00 Irish and British time in The Gaelic Grounds, Limerick

The second game kicks off on Saturday the 30th of October at 7.00 in Croke Park, Dublin

I hope Ireland win this series with Brogan to shine.

Anyone going to next weeks match.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

its 21-16 to Australia
Ireland are missing way too many shots and Australia have been unusually accurate with the round ball

its 21-16 to Australia
Ireland are missing way too many shots and Australia have been unusually accurate with the round ball

Unlucky for Ireland

Hope they crack on and win the game!

:) xx

Good sport, been at a few games. Great atmosphere and a good day out.

Obviously hoping for an Ireland win.

Its 32-22 after the 3/4 time.
Ireland are playing **** and look like they havent trained together at all

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Goal to Ireland Bernard Brogan :wub:
47-35

Last edited:
what the **** is this rubbish :p

Ireland to win by 40 points ;)

what the **** is this rubbish :p

Ireland to win by 40 points ;)
Look at the link in the OP

FT 47-40 to Australia

Hopefully we can make that deficit up next week
***** match today and Ireland were **** until last 5 minutes where it went from 47-29 to 47-40
Leighton Glynn and Brogan only good players

Poor game tonight for us :(hopefully we can win and outscore them next Saturday. We kicked to many behinds and not enough.:( I know Marty has only been training for the last 11 days cause I was talking to him on Monday night. We looked very sloppy tonight unlike the Aussies they played like a team.

I'm freaked I missed it.. Totally forgot.. Who played well, and anyidea how any of the cork lads did, or if they even played?

I'm freaked I missed it.. Totally forgot.. Who played well, and anyidea how any of the cork lads did, or if they even played?

Ireland staged a late rally but it wasn't enough, as Australia drew first blood following a hard earned seven-point win in the first 2010 International Rules test before 30,117 spectators in Limerick's Gaelic Grounds tonight.

A 67th minute Bernard Brogan goal helped bring Ireland back from the death, after trailing by 18 points with less than seven minutes left on the clock.

But this comeback was a case of too little too late, as a strong third quarter display ensured the hosts held enough in reserve for victory.

It was less of the physical stuff which dominated many a previous encounter, as a scoring fest ensued with not one sin-binning as the visitors claimed a deserved win.

Australia's Adam Goodes was the Man of the Match with a magnificent 12-point haul (four overs), as his side take a seven-point advantage with them to next Saturday's final test at Croke Park, with the overall series set to be determined by aggregate scores.

Fresh from their 93-point challenge win over a Cork Colleges combined side the Australians certainly made a firm start to this game.

Kevin Reilly opened the scoring with a behind for Ireland but Australia dug deep to claim a 12-9 lead at the end of the first quarter, with overs from Goodes, James Frawley, Daniel Cross and Todd Banfield.

Bernard Brogan and captain Steven McDonnell kept Ireland in touch, but much improvement was needed to satisfy the large home support, after a somewhat sluggish start.

Anthony Tohill's charges gave a stronger display in the second quarter as the hosts looked a lot sharper as they went in search of scores.

But the Irish attack certainly had their hands full with a determined display from Australia goalkeeper Dustin Fletcher, with the Essendon player failing to leak a goal in the opening half.

Despite Fletcher's brilliance, former AFL player Martin Clarke sent Ireland off to a positive start in the second quarter.

The Down player claimed a behind, with similar one-pointers from Tadhg Kennelly and Sean Cavanagh tieing the contest at 12-apiece in the 27th minute.

Daniel Goulding pushed Ireland in front with a well earned over a minute later for his first score of the game, but Australia came storming back.

Mick Malthouse's charges claimed three overs in the closing eight minutes of the half, to a lone behind from Cavanagh for Ireland as the visitors claimed a 21-16 interval lead.

Adam Goodes made a spectacular mark directly in front of goals, which he subsequently converter, with Carlton Blues player Eddie Betts and Todd Banfield from the Brisbane Lions adding subsequent overs to ensure a five-point half-time advantage.

Defences were on top in the opening minutes after the restart, with neither side scoring inside nine minutes, before Matthew Boyd broke the deadlock with a behind for the visitors.

Kerry's Tommy Walsh claimed his first score with a much required over in the 47th minute to cut the deficit to three points.

Ireland's dominance was short lived as a low scoring third quarter ensued for the hosts.

Australia lorded in attack, with a trio of overs in succession as Leigh Montagna claimed three-pointers either side of an Eddie Betts effort, while Kieran Jack claimed a behind.

This ensured Australia broke 32-19 ahead with two minutes left in the third quarter, but Leighton Glynn made a spectacular mark just at the end of the quarter which the Wicklow man converted to leave the score at 32-22 entering the final quarter.

It didn't get any better for Ireland in the fourth quarter as Australia opened up a 15-point lead inside four minutes of the restart.

Matthew Boyd and Kade Simpson both added a point either side of a Daniel Cross over to opened up a 37-22 advantage.

Cavanagh claimed a much required over to bring his tally to eight points for the match, but Australia held a firm upper hand.

Overs from Goodes and Dangerfield pushed Australia 43-25 clear with ten minutes left on the clock, and it was certainly curtains for the hosts at this stage.

Ireland pegged four points back, but Australia continued to play with great intent claiming

The homeside supporters were lifted late on with the only goal of the night arriving in the 67th minute as Dublin's Bernard Brogan breached the Australian goalmouth for the first time.

Brogan's goal cut the deficit to 12 points, with the crowd now fully vocal and Ireland playing out of their skins.

Scores flowed from the Irish as claimed all of the final 11 points, as the deficit was cut to leave Ireland with a favourable gap to overcome for the final test next Saturday night.

Scorers for Ireland: B Brogan 9 (1-1-0); S McDonnell 8 (0-2-2); S Cavanagh 7 (0-1-4); T Walsh 4 (0-1-1); L Glynn 3 (0-1-0); D Goulding 3 (0-1-0), K McKernan 3 (0-1-0), K Reilly 1 (0-0-1), T Kennelly 1 (0-0-1), M Clarke 1 (0-0-1).

Scorers for Australia: A Goodes 12 (0-4-0); E Betts 6 (0-2-0), D Cross 6 (0-2-0), T Banfield 6 (0-2-0), L Montagna 6 (0-2-0), J Frawley 3 (0-1-0), P Dangerfield 3 (0-1-0), K Simpson 2 (0-0-2), M Boyd 2 (0-0-2), K Jack 1 (0-0-1).

Ireland - S Cluxton; C McKeever, F Hanley, B Donaghy; S McDermott, G Canty, K Reilly; C Begley, T Kennelly; L Glynn, S McDonnell (captain), S Cavanagh; B Brogan, T Walsh, M Clarke. Interchange: D Goulding, J Kavanagh, N McNamee, K McKernan, B Murphy, M Murphy, E Bolton, P Keenan.

Aaustralia - D Fletcher; B Gibbs, J McVeigh, M Boyd, K Simpson, J Frawley, J Riewoldt, G Ibbotson, T Goldsack, B Green, E Betts, D Swan, A Goodes (captain), P Duffield, L Picken. Interchange: T Varcoe, D Cross, L Montagna, B Gilbert, K Jack, T Banfield, P Dangerfield, D Wocjinski.

Referees: David Coldrick (Ireland), Brett Rosebury (Australia)

So anyone going to the game on Saturday.
I have to go with my Gaelic team and now I miss the last day of the Irish first division where Shels need a win to get a playoff place.

This better be good

So anyone going to the game on Saturday.
I have to go with my Gaelic team and now I miss the last day of the Irish first division where Shels need a win to get a playoff place.

This better be good
Shels wont win anyway :p, my bro got a free ticket but i didnt :S so i wont be going

Shels wont win anyway :p, my bro got a free ticket but i didnt :S so i wont be going
Shut up Monaghan supporter. C'mon Derry give us a home leg.
Its only costing us €3

Can't believe i missed this, was dying to catch it,

I prefer the Aussies, don't really understand it, but we played it at my old school quite often!

Can't believe i missed this, was dying to catch it,

I prefer the Aussies, don't really understand it, but we played it at my old school quite often!
The second match is on at 7.00 British and Irish time this Saturday

Not a fan of either sport but this used to be so good to watch a few years back, It was like a street fight!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-J3zs_82k"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

The second match is on at 7.00 British and Irish time this Saturday

Dunno if we'll be able to get the ferry over,
is there anywhere i can watch it?

Tickets are easy to come by but it's the ferry that really buggers us. This is the biggest game of 2010 i believe!
Looking forward to it :D