Reaction score
The Ipswich Project: Day 1

Ipswich Town have a history of being a very patient club, only ever having 17 managers since the club was founded in 1878... better make that 18! earlier this morning news had got out that they had parted company with their manager, Paul Jewell with immediate effect stating a 'difference in opinion and a desire to try something new.' time to get my FM cv out once again...

...​

Never had i imagined i would recieve anything back, i just liked the thought of them having to filter through all the phony letters, but almost immediately i recieved a reply to my email, asking me to take a look around. 'this must be a joke' i thought to myself, but it was worth a go i suppose...

As i had thought, the letter had been a practical joke by one of the employees at the clubs offices, but i was there and a man with a plan and managed to blag myself 10 minutes with Simon Clegg (the clubs CEO) and told him my plans. my idea was that over the past years since relegation freom the Premier League, there had been no continuity, from the constant hiring and firing of managers to the selling and buying of players. i wanted to try and use our youth system to a greater effect, and bring back the passing football that we were once claimed for. Clegg whipped his smart new phone out of his pocket and held it up to his ear. i assumed it was security and he was calling to get rid of a fan bothering him with his ideas, but instead he said - 'hi, Marcus, i think ive found someone, and i think he's exactly what we are looking for'... a pause -and then an 'ok, great' as he put down the phone 'we want to sign you straight away, sorry your name is?'
'Josh, Josh Berry' i replied

...​

before i knew it i was swept into a room full of cameras and reporters and my first interview as the new Ipswich manager awaited me, '****** ****!' this was all a bit much... Mr Clegg calmed me down and just told me to 'tell them what you told me, everyone wants tohear about the man to bring Premier League football back to Portman Road ' no pressure then...

The Ipswich Project: Day 2

I very much expected to walk into Portman Road tomorrow and to be greeted by my friends laughing at the grand success of such a well planned practical joke, but to my surprise i was greeted by the receptionist, who told me my press conference was on Sky Sports News and i should take a look, and there i was with the questions being aimed at me, i look like a very pale, excited schoolkid...

...​

In that moment i saw Simon (Clegg) again coming through a set of glass doors with a man ihad never seen before in my life. he shook my hand and greeted me 'Marcus Evans, i've heard a lot about you'... no wonder i hadn't seen him, seriously who has! he was much leaner than i had imagined...'time to meet your players Josh' this should be interesting.

To the players credit the most of them listened intently to what i was saying and my plan for the coming year (Not to mention any names, but Jimmy Bullard and Lee Bowyer were quick to point out my lack of experience with quips about how i should still be working in the local supermarket which was met by sniggers amongst the squad) i shrugged these off however and overall i had felt the first meeting had gone well. the staff seemed nice enough and i let them know their jobs were safe. my first job had to be to bring in an assistant. Steve McCall,the clubs head scout reccomended Tony Humes, former Town player who was currently working down the road at Colchester as a youth coach,so i took his advise, after all, what do I really know?? along with this advice, he also handed me a report of the current group of players, signs are good at the minute...

Main men at the moment are definitely Chopra, Bullard and Scotland but players like Whight, Hyam and Emmanuel Thomas look like they could be real top players in a few years, that's is McCall has his facts right of course...

Please follow my Ipswich Project Blog! TheJoshBlog

[h=3]The Ipswich Project: Pre-Season[/h]

As soon as the initial media storm had calmed down, the sheer size of the job i had taken on had dawned on me. pre-season was a great chance to weigh up my options and start to decide on a starting 11. looking back, by far the lowest point of the pre-season would have to be our first friendly game, where we came up against the highly spirited but technically inferior AFC Wimbledon.going into the game i was expecting a comfortable win, but we came off 3-0 losers. I was livid, and from that moment it was evident changes had to be made. the lethargic Nathan Ellington had effectively played his fist and last game for the club, and a new goalkeeper, centre back and right back were all needed before we kicked off in August. in that week i made four new signings;

Ben Amos (loan) - Manchester United

Due to the lack in quality of permanent keepers available to sign,i turned to the loan market and Ben seemed to fit the bill perfectly. a deal that works out for both clubs, he will play in nearly all of our games this season and be a valuable member of our team,and he will return to United a better player. regarded as an exceptional shot-stopper.

Mustapha Dumbuya (110k) - Doncaster Rovers

A player who instantly earned my respect with his attitude upon meeting him, and a relative bargain. although he does lack in aerial prescence, he makes up for it in speed and athleticism. can beat any man over 10 yards and covers the void at right back well. a great squad player.

Alex Bruce (140k) - Leeds United

A former Tractor Boy, a centre back who is always willing to put his body on the line for his team. a true battler and influence on players around him, i will be looking for him to lead by example at the back and create a good partnership with Ibrahima Sonko. perhaps unfairly most well known for being ex-United player Steve Bruce's son, but he will make a name for himself here in his second spell, i hope.

At this point i was happy with my additions until i had a phonecall from an agent telling me i could have this player on my team for a year...

Rivaldo (95k) - Kabuscorp

27815_ori_rivaldo.jpg

FIFA World Player of the year in 1999, World Cup Winner in 2002, 2 La Ligas, a Champions League Title
and 406 goals in 849 games. enough said. his world-class experience will help our young squad no end, and it is plain to see he is a cut above technically in training, if a little leggy. on a one-year deal to see him out til retirement.

after these changes were made we made progress in the remaining pre-season fixtures, no more half time rants anyway,with 3 wins out of the next four games. the star man in pre season was young Josh Carson,grabbing a hat-trick against Portadown in a 5-1 win and generally looking a threat in all games. therefore it would be just my luck for him to now be injured for an estimated 3 months... brilliant.

In other news Tony (Humes) accepted our offer and is looking like a sound assistant, and only one player is heading out, with Jack Ainsley moving out on loan to Swindon. Next stop the Championship Season.

PS: oh, and Nathan Ellington HATES me! better get him out of here sooner rather than later....

[h=3]The Ipswich Project: The Opening Day[/h]

with the Championship season fast approaching, i was feeling more and more confident of our chances of a good season. the first month would be a good test for us, featuring games against sides like Middlesborough, West Ham and Burnley.

...​

Things were looking good until i had Bullard and Bowyer at my office door asking for confirmation of their key player statuses. i told them they were still important players for us but the team had to come first. safe to say they did not take to this and insisted they would not back down. two more unhappy players on the eve of our first game of the season, great... i have quickly learned man-management is half the battle when it comes to this job.

The first game is always a nervy affair but we had a particularly tough fixture, away at the Riverside Stadium where we would meet Middlesborough. after much consideration i decided to play both Bullard and Bowyer and there were starts for allfour new signings. this is how we looked.

I told the players to start the game flying out of the blocks and we definitely did that, scoring within 2minutes through Michael Chopra. a great start, but we were not kidding ourselves and settled back into the game. Middlesborough got their equaliser midway through the second half to the delight of the home support,and dispite a valiant effort for a winner in the final minutes, the game ended 1-1.a very balanced game with both teams achieving 50% possesion each. a solid start and something to build upon when we invite West Ham to Portman Road.

View attachment 240749