The Irish Rover

• Thread starter Thread starter Branaldo9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 4K

Branaldo9

Reaction score
The Irish Rover will be a story of an inexperienced manager, getting his break with Shamrock Rovers and seeing where it takes him within the football world.

I will start with Sunday league experience, no coaching badges and the lowest skills possible . . . Let's see how far I can go!

View attachment 102534

12th July 2016 - Branagan hired Shamrock Rovers manager.

View attachment 102538

Young rookie Irish Manager has been hired manager of Shamrock Rovers on a contract until 31/12/2016 and will be paid £975 per week (keeping it in pounds with the hope of eventually managing in the English Premier League).​

Last edited:
PRE SEASON FRIENDLY ROUND UP

View attachment 1106549

Having arranged 5 friendlies against smaller local opposition, I have had a perfect opportunity to analyse my squad and make additions where I felt necessary.

From the 5 friendlies, we picked 4 wins and fell to defeat against Mount Merrion in our 5th and final friendly.

View attachment 1106551

In terms of transfers, I have made 9 additions to the squad for the new season (4 free transfers and 5 season loans). I will go through the new signings in more detail below in the Squad Analysis.

TACTICAL ANALYSIS

My tactics for the season will be 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder anchoring the midfield and inside forwards support my lone striker (see below). I will play with wing backs who will push on as the inside forwards will look to tuck in and support my striker. We will look to play front foot, attacking football, putting pressure on the opposition with a high press.

View attachment 1106554

SQUAD ANALYSIS
GK: Ian McLoughlin - my first new transfer after signing on a free transfer. Previously with Newport County and MK Dons, Ian will be my No. 1 keeper.
GK: Connor Hunt - signed on loan from Everton as backup to Ian McLoughlin.
RB: Simon Madden - in his 3rd season with the club, Simon will be my first choice RB.
RB: Sean Burke - signed after his contract with Leicester City expired. At 19 years of age, Sean will be the understudy to Simon Madden this season.
LB: Luke Byrne - Similar to Simon Madden, Luke is entering his 3rd season with the club and will be my first choice LB.
LB: Bobby Moseley - Free transfer after his Southport contract expired. At 19, Bobby will be backup to Luke Byrne.
CB: David Webster - In his 2nd season, David will captain the side for the upcoming season.
CB: Armin Aganovic - Free transfer after his Galway United contract expired. I expect Armin to partner David Webster at CB to start the season.
CB: Sean Heaney - Signed for Shamrock Rovers in 2013, Sean has had spells on loan including Shamrock Rovers but this season he will be part of the first team squad with the club.
CB: still need to make a 4th CB signing
DM: Roberto Lopes - In his 1st season with the club having signed from Bohemians. Roberto will be a key player this season anchoring the midfield.
DM: Sam Bone - In his 1st season with the club but unfortunately, he has an undisclosed virus which will keep him out of football for up to a year. I may look at another holding midfielder in the future to backup Roberto Lopes.
CM: Paul Corry - In his 1st season with the club having signed from Northampton Town. Paul has a wealth of experience having played with high level English clubs including Sheff Wed.
CM: Ryan Connolly - In his 1st season with the club having signed from Galway United. Ryan has plenty of experience within this league which could be pivotal for the club.
CM: Stephen McPhail - At 36, Stephen's experience is key to helping some of the younger squad members this season. His experience, having played Champions League football with Leeds United is vital. This will be Stephen's last season with the club as he is due to retire at the end of the season.
CM: Connor McManus - Signed on loan for the season from Celtic, Connor will be get games as I expect competition for the 3 midfield positions to be intense.
RW: Graham Burke - In his 1st season having signed from Notts County. Former Aston Villa youth player, I expect Graham to be one of my key players this season. The same opinions can be agreed by the media who have Graham listed as 4th favourite for the top scorer in the league this season.
RW: Jordan Green - Signed on loan from Bournemouth for the season. I expect Jordan to play backup to Graham Burke this season.
LW: Brandon Miele - In his 2nd season with the club, I expect Brandon to play a key role this season from the left wing. The former Newcastle United youth player scored 11 league goals last season for Shamrock Rovers.
LW: Daniel Barlaser - On loan from Newcastle United, I expect Daniel to play backup to Brandon Miele this season.
FW: Reece Grego-*** - On loan from QPR, I am expecting big things from the 19 year old, Ireland U-21 international.
FW: Gary Shaw - In his 1st season having signed from Longford Town. Gary will compete with Reece for the number 1 striker position.
FW: Sean Boyd - Having signed for Shamrock Rover at 15 years of age in 2014, this will be the first season for Sean in the first team squad but will start the season as third choice striker.

Last edited:
Good luck with this. Just started a wanderer story myself and have ended up at shamrock rovers. Be interesting to see how we both progress.

March 2017 Round Up:

View attachment 102520

My first competitive match in charge of Shamrock Rovers was away to Leinster Senior League side Killester United in the 4th round of the Leinster Senior Cup. We outclassed our opposition on our way to a comfortable 4-0 victory with goals from Graham Burke, Connor McManus, Reece Grego-*** and Brandon Miele.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Conor McManus

View attachment 102519

Our first league game of the season was away to Cork City. For the neutrals it would have been an entertaining game but for my first league game it was an education in tactical naivety. Having gone 4-2 up with 30 minutes to play thanks to goals from Brandon Miele (2), Graham Burke and Simon Madden, I failed to convert to a more defensive structure and in seaking more goals we left ourselves open to concede 2 late goals in the last 15 minutes with the game ending 4-4.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Brandon Miele

View attachment 102518

Our first home game of the season, saw us play host to Sligo Rovers. In a game which we absolutely dominated, we came away with a narrow 2-1 win thanks to 2 goals in the first 10 minutes from Roberto Lopes and Reece Greco-***.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Reece Grego-***

View attachment 102517

Next up was Finn Harps at home and in what was a dull affair, we came away with another narrow win. This time thanks to a solitary strike from Brandon Miele. Final score 1-0.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Simon Madden

View attachment 102516

Next up was a Leinster Senior Cup quarter final away to reigning Premier Division champions, Dundalk. Having gone 2-0 behind, I switched to a counter attacking system and Connor McManus scored to make it 2-1 with 10 minutes to play. Dundalk then went 3-1 ahead but a long range strike from Daniel Barlaser proved to be a consolation as the game finished 3-2.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Connor McManus

View attachment 102515

Back to league action in the next game as we played at home to Galway United. Galway were languishing 2nd from bottom at the early stages of the season, so I was disappointed to only come away with a 2-2 draw, especially as we had led twice with goals from Graham Burke and Reece Grego-***.

View attachment 102514

Our final game of the month was away to fierce rivals Bohemians in the league. Having gone 1-0 in front thanks to another great long range finish from Daniel Barlaser, I was disappointed to surrender the lead 10 minutes later. Overall, considering it was my first local derby away to our rivals, I was happy come away with a point.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Daniel Barlaser

View attachment 102513

MONTH REVIEW

Overall it has been a positive start to life as manager of Shamrock Rovers. Having played 5 leagues games, we remain unbeaten although we have drawn 3 of our opening 5. Currently 2nd in the table at the early stages of the season but it has been an encouraging start to my managerial career.

TOP GOALSCORERS - Brandon Miele (3), Graham Burke (2), Reece Grego-*** (2)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Simon Madden
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 57% (4 wins from 7)​

Last edited:
April 2016 Round Up:

View attachment 1106651

Tough start to the month with an away league game against Derry City. 2 penalties from Graham Burke were enough for us to sneak 2-1 win and maintain our unbeaten start to the season.
MAN OF THE MATCH -Graham Burke

View attachment 1106652

Our second league game of the month was at home to Longford Town. I was expecting a comfortable victory after going 1-0 up thanks to an own goal from Longford's Stephen Walsh but we struggled to find any rhythm and were lucky to come away with the 3 points.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Arnin Aganovic
View attachment 1106653

Up next was what on paper looked like our toughest game of the season away to league favourites, Dundalk. Having scored 2 goals in the first 15 minutes thanks to a double from Brandon Miele, we were in dreamland with a 2-0 half time lead. Unfortunately, that lead was cut in half early in the 2nd half but we were able to hang on for another win and a monumental victory.

View attachment 1106654

Our 4th league game of the month was at home to strugglers Wexford Youths and it turned out to be our most comfortable league victory up until this point. Goals from Graham Burke (pen), Brandon Miele and Reece Grego-*** ensured that we picked up pour 4th successive league victory.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Sean Heaney

View attachment 1106655

Another tough away trip next to 3rd place St. Pats and I was happy come away with a 0-0 victory which kept us top of the table at this early stage of the season.
MAN OF THE MATCH - David Webster

View attachment 1106656

We returned to winning ways in our next home league game against Bray Wanderers. Goals from Graham Burke (again 2 penalties) and Brandon Miele gave us another comfortable 3-0 victory.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Graham Burke

View attachment 1106657

Out 7th and final league game of the month was a top of the table clash at home against Cork City. Cork came into this game with only 1 defeat in their opening 11 games and were just 3 points behind us in 2nd place. However, we put in our best performance in my short managerial career and ran away with an emphatic 5-0 victory. Goals from Brandon Miele (2), Reece Grego-*** (2) and Graham Burke brought us our best performance which we will find very difficult to top this season.

View attachment 1106658

MONTH REVIEW

It has been an unbelievable month for the club with 6 wins and a draw from our 7 league games. Having played our 3 closest rivals in Dundalk, Cork City and St. Pats, we have done really well to put together such an impressive sequence of results. We are 6 points clear of both St. Pats and Cork City at the top of the table and I will be keen to ensure that we keep up the early momentum we have gained with remaining unbeaten from our opening 12 league games.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Brandon Miele (9), Graham Burke (8), Reece Grego-*** (5)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Graham Burke
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 86% (6 wins from 7)​

Last edited:
MAY 2016 ROUND UP:

View attachment 1106686

League Cup 2nd round tie away to Bray Wanderers to start the month and we continued our momentum from the previous month with another emphatic win. The final score was 4-1 with goals from Graham Burke (2), Luke Byrne and Reece Grego-***.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Luke Byrne

View attachment 1106687

First league game of the month turned out to be our most disappointing result of the season so far. Away to struggling Finn Harps and we never showed up. In the end, we fell to a 1-0 defeat and to be honest we never looked like scoring.

View attachment 1106688

Our next league game was away to bottom of the table Sligo Rovers and following on from the poor showing against Finn Harps, we put in another disappointing performance and only came away with a 1-1 draw. Reece Grego-*** have us the lead midway through the first but we were disappointing again throughout.

View attachment 1106689

Next up in the league was a big derby at home to Bohemians. Having had 2 very disappointing results against Finn Harps and Sligo Rovers, I was delighted to return to winning ways and to do so against our big rivals made it even better. 2 goals from Reece Grego-*** saw us on our way to a 2-1 victory.

View attachment 1106690

Next up was a League Cup quarter final tie away to UCD. In the end it was a comfortable victory having easily disposed of UCD 4-0. Goals from Brandon Miele, Reece Grego-***, Connor McManus and Graham Burke.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Ryan Connolly

View attachment 1106691

We finished the month with a very disappointing 0-0 draw away to struggling Galway United. There was not much to report from this game with not many clear cut chances created by either side throughout.
MAN OF THE MATCH -Simon Madden

View attachment 1106692

MONTH REVIEW:

A disappointing month in the league with only 1 victory from our 4 league games. What was most disappointing about the 3 games we didnt win was that we drew to 2 struggling sides in Sligo Rovers and Galway United and lost to another struggling side in Finn Harps. On the positive side, we are into the semi-final of the League Cup after our 4-0 quarter final victory over UCD and are still top of the table after 16 games (only losing once).

TOP GOALSCORER SEASON - Brandon Miele (9), Graham Burke (8), Reece Grego-*** (8)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Reece Grego-***
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 50% (3 wins from 6)​

Last edited:
Burkeyoa - I've had a good start with Shamrock Rovers. Best of luck with your wanderer story with Rovers, keep me updated on how you get on.

JUNE 2016 ROUND UP:

View attachment 102399

Great start to the month with a 3-0 win against rivals Shelbourne in the 2nd round of the Senior Challenge Cup. Brandon Miele (2) and Reece Grego-*** with the goals as we cruised through to the next round of the cup.

View attachment 102398

Only 1 league game this month and it came at home to Derry City. We dominated the game throughout and ran out 3-0 winners. Goals from Graham Burke, Ryan Connolly and Connor McManus as we moved 4 points clear at the top of the league after 17 games.

View attachment 102397

Big game in the 1st qualifying round of the Europa League. We were drawn against Icelandic side Valur and the first leg was in Iceland. I was expecting a really tight affair but yet again we dominated throughout and ran out 4-0 winners on this occasion. Goals from Snaebor Gudmondsson (own goal), Reece Grego-*** (2) & Roberto Lopes.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Roberto Lopes

View attachment 102396

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Only 3 games this month with only 1 coming in the League. We dominated all 3 games and won all 3 very comfortably. I am happy to be 4 points clear at the top of the league and to be in a great position to make progress in the Europa League. Looking forward to the coming month which has 5 league fixtures including big games against St. Pats and Cork City.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Brandon Miele (10), Graham Burke (9), Reece Grego-*** (8)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Brandon Miele
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 100% (3 wins from 3)​

Last edited:
JULY 2016 ROUND UP:

View attachment 1106803

Started the month in league action away to Longford Town. A rare goal from Stephen McPhail and another finish from Brandon Miele ensured we ran out 2-1 winners.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Stephen McPhail

View attachment 1106804

Next up was the 2nd leg of our Europa League 1st qualifying round at home to Valur. Having won the first leg 4-0, I was not surprised with the dull second leg which occurred. The final score was 0-0 so we easily progressed to the 2nd qualifying round were we would play against Norwegian side Stromsgodset.

View attachment 1106806

A disappointing away league tie to Wexford Youths followed and we were disapointed to only come away with a 1-1 draw to the side who were currently 2nd from bottom in the league. Another 2 points drop to one of the lower ranked sides in the league in what is becoming a common occurrence for us this season. Goal from Brandon Miele ensured we came away with a point.

View attachment 1106807

Next up was the 1st leg of the 2nd Qualifying Round of the Europa League away to Stromsgodset. We fell to a 2-1 defeat but I was happy that we came away with an away goal which I felt may be vital coming into the 2nd leg at home. Yet again it was Brandon Miele with the goal for us and he has been an invaluable player for us this season.

View attachment 1106808

3 days after our Europa League tie with Stromsgodset, we faced another top of the table clash at home to 2nd placed St. Pats. Having gone 2-0 up with 2 goals from Graham Burke, we looked on our way to an invaluable 3 points. Unfortunately, we conceded 2 quick fire goals in the 2nd half and the game finished 2-2. Disappointing result in the end, as a win would have created some breathing space at the top of the table.

View attachment 1106809

The 2nd leg of our Europa League 2nd qualifying round was next at home to Stromsgodset. Having expected a really tight affair having struggled in the 1st leg, I was very surprised with how we ripped Stromsgodset apart coming away with a 4-0 win (5-2 on aggregate). Goals from Oystein Bakkevik (own goal), Roberto Lopes, David Webster and Arnin Aganovic ensured we would be in the hat for the 3rd qualifying round draw.

View attachment 1106810

Following on from the unbelievable Europa League result, we had a league game away to Bray Wanderers. Not sure what went wrong in this game but we never showed up and fell to a really surprising 3-0 defeat to a side currently in 8th place in the table.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Stephen McPhail

View attachment 1106811

We finished a busy month with the 1st leg of the Europa League 3rd qualifying round at home to Finnish Premier League side IFK Mariehamn. We ran out 3-1 winners thanks to goals from Reece Grego-***, Graham Burke and Brandon Miele ensured we finished the month on a high note after a disappointing defeat to Bray Wanderers.

View attachment 1106812

MONTHLY REVIEW:

In what was a very busy month with 8 games in total, we experienced some ups and downs with some big wins and progression in the Europa League but also some disappointing performances in the league (Bray Wanderers defeat and Wexford Youths draw). However, after 21 games we are still top of the table as we have been since the early stages of the season but now there is only 1 point between ourselves and St. Pats in 2nd place. We have to find a way to convert some of our draws into wins because 8 draws from 21 is disappointing, especially as we have drawn so many against the smaller teams in the league.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Brandon Miele (12), Graham Burke (11), Reece Grego-*** (8)
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 38% (3 wins from 8)

TRANSFER UP:

I have allowed backup striker Gary Shaw to go on loan to Limerick City as he had requested a loan move and in fairness he has not really got much game time this season.

View attachment 102290

In his place, I have signed former Liverpool Youth Player, Lauri Dalla Valle on a free transfer. I am hoping Lauri will supply stiffer competition to main striker Reece Grego-*** for the remainder of the season.​

Last edited:
AUGUST 2016 ROUND UP:

View attachment 1106979

A League Cup semi-final away to Sligo Rovers to start the month and we came out of the traps very early, thundering into a 4-0 lead after only 20 minutes. Goals from Graham Burke, Reece Grego-*** (2) and Brandon Miele ensured the cup tie was all but over after less than a quarter of the game. Sligo pulled 2 goals back in the space of 2 minutes midway through the 2nd half but it finished 4-2 and I have reached my first final as a Manager.

View attachment 1106980

Next up was another massive game away to IFK Mariehamn in the 2nd leg of our Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round tie. With a 3-1 lead from the first leg, I fancied our chances of going through but unfortunately, we were 2-0 down at half time and couldnt create enough to get the 1 goal required to go through. Our European campaign over for this season having went out on away goals.

View attachment 1106981

Back to League action for the first time this month with a dominant home win against holders Dundalk. Goals from Roberto Lopes, Reece Grego-*** and Graham Burke (2) ensured a dominant victory over a Dundalk side currently languishing in mid table.

View attachment 1106982

We followed up on of our best performances of the season against Dundalk with a really disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Finn Harps in the League. Again, our problems are not against the top sides in the league but we fail to break down the smaller sides and this was the case again.

View attachment 1106983

Next up was our 3rd and final derby of the season away to Bohemians in the League. Having gone ahead twice thanks to goals from Roberto Lopes and Graham Burke, I was disappointed to only come away with a 2-2 draw. Bohs striker, Ismahil Akinade proved a handful throughout.

View attachment 1106984

Senior Challenge Cup 3rd round action next as we easily dispatched of Rockmount by 3-0. Goals from Graham Burke, Brandon Miele and a first goal for new signing Lauri Dalla Valle ensured progression to the next round.

View attachment 1106985

Another tough away game in the League for us next as we travelled to Cork City who were one of the chasing pack in the League. I was happy to come away with another 2-2 draw. Brandon Miele with the 1st and a dramatic 92nd minute equaliser from Daniel Barlaser ensured that we picked up a valuable point that in truth we didnt deserve.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Daniel Barlaser

View attachment 1106986

Our final game of the month was at home to struggling Galway United. I decided to make a small tweak to the system, removing the "Keep Possession" command and switching my striker from a Deep Lying Forward to an Advanced Forward in the hope of creating more clear cut chances against weaker opposition. I was delighted with the performance and result as we ran out 4-2 winners thanks to goals from Reece Grego-*** and a hat-trick for Graham Burke ensured us top spot at the end of July.

View attachment 1106987

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Having progressed to our first final in the League Cup, have another quarter final to look forward to at home to St. Pats in the Senior Challenge Cup and still remaining top of the table (only by 2 points), I consider July to have been another really positive month for the club. However, the one big disappointed was our failure to protect the 3-1 lead in the Europa League and crashing out on the away goal rule. Overall, 2 wins and 3 draws in the League is not the best of returns but considering we dropped points away to 2 of our biggest challengers in Bohemians and Cork City, I am satisfied with the month.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Graham Burke (17), Brandon Miele (13), Reece Grego-*** (10)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Graham Burke
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE- 50% (4 wins from 8)​

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER 2016 ROUNDUP:

View attachment 1107376

First game of September was a home Senior Challenge Cup quarter final against St. Pats. With a League Cup final against the same opposition coming up in 8 days time, this was a dress rehearsal for that occasion. The grab finished 1-1 with Reece Grego-*** equalising in the 2nd half. We now have to play the replay in 3 days time which will make 3 straight games against the same opposition.

View attachment 1107377

The replay against St. Pats ended in disappointment with St. Pats striker Chris Fagan scoring the games only goal in the 86th minute. Let's hope we put in a better performance in the League Cup Final.
MAN OF THE MATCH -Arnin Aganovic

View attachment 1107378

League Cup Final next and it didnt get off to a great start with that man again Chris Fagan putting them ahead after only 4 minutes. Brandon Miele levelled after 15 minutes and thats how it stayed at half time. 8 minutes into the 2nd half and Fagan restored St. Pats lead with his 3rd goal in 2 games against us. Their lead only lasted 7 minutes as Graham Burke levelled on 60 minutes. With 9 minutes to play, Arnin Aganovic headed the winner for Shamrock Rovers and I had lead us to my first trophy as a Professional Manager. FINAL SCORE SHAMROCK ROVER 3-2 ST PATS

View attachment 1107379

3 days later and we were back in League action and we suffered a League Cup hangover having fell to a 2-1 defeat away to Derry City. Daniel Barlaser scored what proved to be a consolation midway through the 2nd half. For the 1st time since very early in the season we were off the top of the table.

View attachment 1107380

Another disappointing league performance followed at home to Longford Town with us putting in a bang average performance which finished in a drab 0-0 scoreline. Fortunately for us, St. Pats fell to defeat away to Bray Wanderers so we returned to the top of the table on goal difference.

View attachment 1107381

Up next was an away league game to Dundalk who we have put in 2 fantastic performances against having beat them 2-0 early in the season and played off the park in a 4-0 home victory. This game was no different as we again put in an outstanding performance against the champions with an emphatic 4-1 victory. 2 goals from Lauri Dalla Valle who replaced the injured Reece Grego-*** and a goal for both Graham Burke and Roberto Lopes kept us level on points with St. Pats at the summit of the table.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Lauri Dalla Valle

View attachment 1107382

Our final game of the month was at home to Wexford Youths and another double for Lauri Dalla Valle ensured we kept the pace with St. Pats running out with a 2-0 victory.

View attachment 1107384

MONTHLY REVIEW:

A disappointing start to the month with St. Pats knocking us out of the Senior Challenge Cup at the quarter final stage. However, we followed this up with a fantastic comeback to win the League Cup against the same opposition and 2 league victories at the end of the month ensured we finished the month back on top of the league with 3 games to play. With our next game coming away to St. Pats, this may be the title decider and a point would put us in pole position to win the title with back-to-back home games closing out the season against Sligo Rovers and Bray Wanderers.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Graham Burke (18), Brandon Miele (13), Reece Grego-*** (10)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Arnin Aganovic
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 43% (3 wins from 7)​

Last edited:
OCTOBER 2016 REVIEW:

View attachment 101587

The biggest game of the season away to St. Pats with a win putting us in pole position for the title and a draw still putting us in a very strong position with 2 home games to finish the season. A Graham Burke penalty put us ahead after 30 minutes but a 2nd penalty of the game saw St. Pats level through Patrick Cregg on 72 minutes. We immediately restored our lead a minute later through Brandon Miele and we hung on to the victory for a monumental 2-1 win.

View attachment 101586

Now with a 3 point lead over St. Pats and a +4 difference in goal difference we are in an unbelievably strong position going into back-to-back home games to close out to season.

View attachment 101585

A highly entertaining home tie to Sligo Rovers next which ended with a 4-2 victory thanks to goals from Lauri Dalla Valle, Ryan Connolly, Brandon Miele and Graham Burke. Having gone in at half time with the scores level, I was impressed with our early 2nd half performance with 2 goals in the opening 7 minutes. Although Sligo scored to make it 3-2, Graham Burke put the tie to bed with a 4th on 69 minutes to secure the victory.

View attachment 101584

With St. Pats securing a 1-0 victory at home to 4th placed Cork City, they ensured that the League title would go down to the final game of the season. Although we hold a 3 point lead and a +5 goal difference, a point would secure the title but it would take a monumental collapse to throw it away now. St. Pats close out the season with a tricky away tie to 5th placed Bohemians.

View attachment 101583

Final game of the season and a point would have been enough to secure the title at home to Bray Wanderers. However, we didnt show up at all which was really disappointing and fell to a 1-0 defeat thanks to a goal from Anto Flood. St. Pats also fell to defeat away to Bohemians by the same scoreline which meant we are LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!

MONTHLY REVIEW:

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Graham Burke (20), Brandon Miele (14), Reece Grego-*** (10)
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 67% (2 wins from 3)

View attachment 101580

Disappointed not to finish with a victory but nonetheless we have secured the title and a domestic double with this League title following on from winning the League Cup earlier in the season. A very successful first season at the club.

View attachment 101582

With the League title secured we can look forward to next season and an adventure into the Champions League with another European campaign secured for the club.

View attachment 101581

Having secured a domestic double in my first season as a football manager, I have entered the Irish Hall of Fame in 10th place behind some legends of the Irish game such as Brian Kerr, Stephen Kenny and Northern Ireland Manager Michael O'Neill.​

Last edited:
END OF SEASON REVIEW

View attachment 1108008

View attachment 1108015

View attachment 1108016

View attachment 1108017

Brandon Miele picked up both the League Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year Award, Graham Burke finished League Top Goalscorer with 20 goals and I scooped the League Manager of the Year.

Great season all round with individual honours to follow up on the League and Cup double we achieved this season.

View attachment 1108018

Right back Simon Madden, Wingers Graham Burke and Brandon Miele and Striker Reece Grego-*** were named in the League Team of the Year.

View attachment 101206

Graham Burke picked up a treble of Club Awards as he scooped the Fans Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year and Goal of the season. He was also the club top goalscorer with 27 goals (20 league goals).

Arnin Aganovic was named signing of the season having developed a strong centre back partnership with David Webster.

View attachment 100877

Having won a domestic double in my first season, I was delighted to put pen to paper on a one year extension at the club until December 2017 with a new wage of £1400 per week.

View attachment 100876

View attachment 100875

View attachment 100874

Having scooped up most of the individual honors at the League Awards, I was delighted to see Brandon Miele finish 3rd in the Irish Player of the Year Awards and also win the Irish Young Player of the Year Award. Graham Burke was also a very deserving winner of the League of Ireland Player of the Year.​

Last edited:
PRE SEASON ROUNDUP 2017

View attachment 100444

Similar to last season, I arranged 5 friendlies against different level of opposition. I started with back-to-back wins against PSG reserves and Ajax reserves. Then we stepped up a level, taking on Brondby of Denmark and Montreal Impact of the MLS. We drew 0-0 with Brondby and fell to a 2-0 defeat to Montreal Impact. We finished out our preparations with a 4-0 against local opposition St. Pauls Artane.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 100443

OUT

Stephen McPhail - Retired at the end of last season.
Sean Burke - Contract expired (didnt play much and I have already a replacement signed)
Paul Corry - Contract expired (he spent most of the season on the injury table so I was happy to let him leave).

IN

Diego Franco - Spanish centre back signed on a free transfer and will provide competition for Arnin Aganovic and David Webster for the 2 starting positions.
John Kavanagh - Signed on a free transfer after his contract with Cork City expired. Having let Sean Burke leave, John will now provide stiffer opposition to Simon Madden for the right back position.
Tommy O'Sullivan - Loan signing from Colchester United. Centre midfielder who was signed as a replacement for Paul Corry.
Lewis Hardcastle - Loan signing from Blackburn Rovers. Also a centre midfielder, I feel we are short in this area having also lost Connor McManus after his loan expired at the end of last season.
Craig Thomson - My 5th and final signing is Right Winger Craig Thomson who I signed on loan from St. Johnstone. He will provide backup to Graham Carey and will replace Jordan Green who has returned to his parent club after his loan expired.

YOUTH PROMOTIONS

I'm making a brave move promoting 5 youth team prospects to the first team squad for this season (details below):

Aaron Farrell - Will provide back up for Ian McLoughlin this season and will replace Connor Hunt who has returned to Everton after his loan expired.
Eoghan Morgan - Having returned from a succesful loan spell with Waterford United last season, Eoghan deserves a place in the first team squad and will replace the retired Stephen McPhail.
Trevor Clarke - Having lost Daniel Barlaser who returned to Newcastle United after his loan expired, I am putting a lot of fate in Trevor to step up when required as a backup to Brandon Miele in the Left Wing position.
Michael O'Connor - Having played 8 games and scored 4 goals on loan with Sligo Rovers last season, I feel Michael deserves his place in the first team squad and will replace the influential Reece Grego-*** who sadly returned to QPR following the expiration of his loan.

All in all, a lot of change going into the new season and I am placing a lot of reliance on youth team prospects who are relatively untested with the first team. Let's hope my gamble pays off but I feel it was a risk worth taking but it was also a risk I had to take as I had no wage budget available to bring in transfers.

View attachment 100436

View attachment 100437

Not exactly, what I was looking for on the eve of the new season. Brandon Miele has requested a transfer as he wants a move to a bigger club. Understandable but I will dig my heels in and will only sell if I can find a suitable replacement as Brandon was one my star players last season alongside Graham Burke.​

Last edited:
FEBRUARY 2017 REVIEW:

View attachment 100324

Good start to the season with a 2-0 victory away to UCD in the Leinster Senior Cup 4th round. Goals from Brandon Miele and Graham Burke either side of half time ensured the victory.

View attachment 100322

View attachment 100321

A 4-0 victory at home to Derry City ensured my 3rd trophy as Shamrock Rovers manager with the Presidents Cup won easily in the end. Goals from Lauri Dalla Valle, Lewis Hardcastle and a double from Graham Carey.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Lewis Hardcastle

View attachment 100320

View attachment 100319

Delighted to announce the deadline day signing of Chris Fagan who was available on a free transfer after his contract with St. Pats expired at the end of last season. Chris popped up with 3 goals last season against us and ended the season with 15 goals so I'm very happy to have him on board with us for the new campaign.

SQUAD ANALYSIS:

GK: Ian McLoughlin - Had a decent first season with the club, making 25 league appearances, conceding 29 goals with 7 clean sheets. Ian will again be my number 1 goalkeeper for the new season.
GK: Aaron Farrell - Youth team graduate, the 17 year old will be backup to Ian McLoughlin in his first year in Senior football.
RB: Simon Madden - Now entering his 4th season, Simon was excellent last season, playing 26 league games. He will continue as my first choice RB for the new season.
RB: John Kavanagh - Having made the move from Cork City, John will provide stiffer competition to Simon Madden for the RB spot this season.
LB: Luke Byrne - Now in his 4th season with the club, Luke was solid at LB last season, making 28 league appearances and will continue as 1st choice for the new season.
LB: Bobby Moseley - Made 15 league appearances in his 1st season for the club but mainly as a substitute. Bobby may have a similar situation this season as a backup to Luke Byrne.
CB: David Webster - Captained his side to the double last season, I am expecting big things again from the leader who will have more competition for his place this season. He played in 31 of the 33 league games last season.
CB: Armin Aganovic - Developed an outstanding centre back partnership with David Webster last season, Arnin had a fantastic first season with the club and made 27 league appearances.
CB: Diego Franco - New signing from the Spanish Lower Leagues. The 19 year old is expected to challenge both David Webster and Arnin Aganovic for a starting place this season.
CB: Sean Heaney - Having only played 11 league games last season, I am expecting Sean to be my 4th choice CB going into the new season and will provide back up when necessary.
DM: Roberto Lopes - Played a pivotal role in the clubs success last season, Roberto made 26 league appearances and scored 4 goals last season. I am expecting him to anchor the midfield again this season.
DM: Sam Bone - Having returned from his year long absence at the end of last season with the Under 19's squad, Sam is expected to work his way back into the 1st team squad and will be used as a backup in the holding midfield position this season.
CM: Ryan Connolly - Had an unbelievable first season with the club, playing in all 33 league games and scoring 2 goals. Ryan has cemented his place as one of the starting CM's.
CM: Lewis Hardcastle - Loan signing from Blackburn Rovers. I am expecting Lewis to start the season within a midfield 3 with Roberto Lopes and Ryan Connolly.
CM: Tommy O'Sullivan - On loan from Colcester United, Tommy is expected to challenge with the likes of Lewis Hardcastle and Ryan Connolly for a place in my starting 11 this season.
CM: Eoghan Morgan - Having impressed last season on loan at Waterford, the 19 year old deserves an opportunity within my first team squad this season.
RW: Graham Burke - Top goalscorer in the league last season with 20 goals from 32 appearances, Graham had an unforgettable first season with the club. I am hoping he can continue this form going into the new season.
RW: Craig Thomson - Loan signing from St. Johnstone who will be backup to Graham Burke going into the new season.
LW: Brandon Miele - Alongside Graham Burke, Brandon Miele had a fantastic season with the club. Having played in all 33 league games, Brandon scored 14 goals and also made 11 assists from the LW position.
LW: Trevor Clarke - Youth team graduate who will be backup to Brandon Miele for his first season with the First Team squad.
FW: Lauri Dalla Valle - Having signed in the mid season transfer window, Lauri settled in excellently with the squad scoring 5 goals from his 8 league appearances. I am hopeful he can carry this form into the new season.
FW: Chris Fagan - Signed from St. Pats, Chris tormented Shamrock Rovers last season scoring 3 goals against us. I'm hoping he can make a similar impact, this time to the benefit of the club this season.
FW: Michael O'Connor - Another Youth Team graduate, I expect Michael to have limited opportunities this season as 3rd choice striker but he will get minutes and should gain valuable experience from this.

Last edited:
MARCH 2017 ROUNDUP:

View attachment 100299

Disappointing 0-0 to open the season at home to Longford Town.

View attachment 100298

Good bounce back from the disappointing start to the season with a 2-1 win at home to Cork City. Great late drama with Chris Fagan scoring a 93rd minute winner on his first start for the club. David Webster with the first goal to equalise after St. Pats took the lead through former Shamrock Rovers player Karl Sheppard.

View attachment 100297

Another disappointing 0-0 draw against Longford Town, this time away from home in the quarter final of the Leinster Senior Cup Quarter Final. Thankfully, we went through 7-6 on penalties.

View attachment 100296

Another positive victory in the league away to Bray Wanderers. Goals from Brandon Miele and Chris Fagan ensured we ran out 2-0 winners.

View attachment 100295

Very happy to finish the month with another strong away performance to Limerick City. Again we ran out 2-0 winners with goals from Brandon Miele and a rare finish from right back Simon Madden.

View attachment 100294

3 wins from 4 games in the league ensured that I claimed the first manager of the month award. Hopefully, we can continue with the early momentum and I can challenge for a second consecutive manager of the year award.

View attachment 100292

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Having picked up 10 points from our opening 4 games, we currently sit 2nd in the League Table below Cork City who have 10 points from 5 games. The only disappointing aspects of the month was that we drew twice to Longford Town and both by a 0-0 scoreline. We have a very tricky month ahead in April with 7 League fixtures including games against Bohemians, St. Pats, Dundalk and the newly promoted Shelbourne. I would be very happy to up around the top of the table at the end of this tough month.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Chris Fagan (2), Brandon Miele (2)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - David Webster (excellent month for Webster with 4 man of the match awards. Having his place under threat with the signing of Diego Franco, captain Webster has shown great character to step up to the added competition).
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE -83% (5 wins from 6)

View attachment 100284

I have completed my first professional coaching qualification with the National C License completed. My reputation has now moved to 1 star as a result of this.

Last edited:
APRIL 2017 ROUND UP:

View attachment 100203

Another 0-0 home draw in the league, this time to Galway United. We will need to show a big improvement with the tricky fixtures we have this month.

View attachment 100202

Return to winning ways away to Finn Harps. Goals from Graham Burke and Lewis Hardcastle ensured we kept the early pace with Dundalk.

View attachment 100201

First defeat of the season in our biggest game so far in the current season. Bohemians away is one of our toughest fixtures and our big rivals got the better of us on this occasion as we fell to a 1-0 defeat.

View attachment 100200

Another tough away fixture against St. Pats and having lost our last away game, we dug in and managed to come away with a fantastic 1-0 victory thanks to a goal first goal at the club from Diego Franco.

View attachment 100199

Back to back wins in the league thanks to a 2-0 win at home to 5th placed Derry City. Goals from Ryan Connolly and Diego Franco ensured we picked up another crucial victory.

View attachment 100198

A return for Shelbourne to the Premier Division this season, so I was happy to have my first fixture against the club and to come away with a 2-0 home victory. Goals from a returning Lauri Dalla Valle who I put into the starting 11 ahead of struggling Chris Fagan and another long range strike from Lewis Hardcastle.

View attachment 100197

View attachment 100196

A couple of big injuries with Ian McLoughlin and Diego Franco both out for 3-4 weeks. With this I will be giving a debut to our 17 year old backup goalkeeper, Aaron Farrell in our biggest game of the season away to Dundalk. The injury to Diego Franco isn't as bad even though he has scored some crucial goals this month as I will restore David Webster to partner Arnin Aganovic.

View attachment 100195

We finished off the month with a crucial away point to Dundalk. I was very happy with the result and a debut clean sheet for Aaron Farrell.

View attachment 100194

Another big injury with Simon Madden out for 4-5 weeks with a groin injury. It will give John Kavanagh and opportunity to step in as he hasn't had much of a look in since signing for the club.

View attachment 100193

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Having come into the month worried with some of the tough fixtures ahead, I am very happy to be top of the table after the 7 fixtures we participated in this month. Having won 4 of the 7 fixtures, it was a really positive month but still disappointed with the 2 points dropped at home to Galway United. We only conceded 1 goal in 7 league fixtures and have only conceded 2 in 11 games. Looking at league table, we are neck and neck with Dundalk as we both have 24 points with a 6 point gap to 3rd placed Cork City. We are not scoring at the rate we did last season and this is clearly highlighted by the poor contribution of Brandon Miele and Graham Burke so far this season with only 3 goals between them.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Chris Fagan (2), Brandon Miele (2), Diego Franco (2), Lewis Hardcastle (2)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Lewis Hardcastle (came into his own this month with goals against Finn Harps and Derry City, I am hoping that the central midfielder can carry on this form through the coming months.

Last edited:
APRIL 2017 ROUND UP:

View attachment 1109159

Another 0-0 home draw in the league, this time to Galway United. We will need to show a big improvement with the tricky fixtures we have this month.

View attachment 1109160

Return to winning ways away to Finn Harps. Goals from Graham Burke and Lewis Hardcastle ensured we kept the early pace with Dundalk.

View attachment 1109161

First defeat of the season in our biggest game so far in the current season. Bohemians away is one of our toughest fixtures and our big rivals got the better of us on this occasion as we fell to a 1-0 defeat.

View attachment 1109162

Another tough away fixture against St. Pats and having lost our last away game, we dug in and managed to come away with a fantastic 1-0 victory thanks to a goal first goal at the club from Diego Franco.

View attachment 1109163

Back to back wins in the league thanks to a 2-0 win at home to 5th placed Derry City. Goals from Ryan Connolly and Diego Franco ensured we picked up another crucial victory.

View attachment 1109164

A return for Shelbourne to the Premier Division this season, so I was happy to have my first fixture against the club and to come away with a 2-0 home victory. Goals from a returning Lauri Dalla Valle who I put into the starting 11 ahead of struggling Chris Fagan and another long range strike from Lewis Hardcastle.

View attachment 1109165

View attachment 1109166

A couple of big injuries with Ian McLoughlin and Diego Franco both out for 3-4 weeks. With this I will be giving a debut to our 17 year old backup goalkeeper, Aaron Farrell in our biggest game of the season away to Dundalk. The injury to Diego Franco isn't as bad even though he has scored some crucial goals this month as I will restore David Webster to partner Arnin Aganovic.

View attachment 1109167

We finished off the month with a crucial away point to Dundalk. I was very happy with the result and a debut clean sheet for Aaron Farrell.

View attachment 1109168

Another big injury with Simon Madden out for 4-5 weeks with a groin injury. It will give John Kavanagh and opportunity to step in as he hasn't had much of a look in since signing for the club.

View attachment 1109169

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Having come into the month worried with some of the tough fixtures ahead, I am very happy to be top of the table after the 7 fixtures we participated in this month. Having won 4 of the 7 fixtures, it was a really positive month but still disappointed with the 2 points dropped at home to Galway United. We only conceded 1 goal in 7 league fixtures and have only conceded 2 in 11 games. Looking at league table, we are neck and neck with Dundalk as we both have 24 points with a 6 point gap to 3rd placed Cork City. We are not scoring at the rate we did last season and this is clearly highlighted by the poor contribution of Brandon Miele and Graham Burke so far this season with only 3 goals between them.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Chris Fagan (2), Brandon Miele (2), Diego Franco (2), Lewis Hardcastle (2)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Lewis Hardcastle (came into his own this month with goals against Finn Harps and Derry City, I am hoping that the central midfielder can carry on this form through the coming months.

MAY 2017 ROUND UP:

View attachment 100081

As current holders of the League Cup, it was very disappointing to be defeated in the 2nd round this season, losing to St. Pats on penalties after the match finished 1-1. Arnin Aganovic with the goal for Shamrock Rovers.

View attachment 1109289

I don't know what it is with Longford Town but we cannot seem to beat them and this is the 3rd time already this season that we have drawn with Longford. Another disappointing 2 points dropped with the match finishing 1-1. Lewis Hardcastle with the goal for us.

View attachment 1109290

A return to winning ways away to Sheriff Y.C in the semi final of the Leinster Senior Cup. We ran out 4-0 winners and it was a much needed confidence boost after a couple of poor performances previous. Another final to look forward to against St. Pats and I'm hoping to make this my 4th trophy as Shamrock Rovers manager. Goals from Brandon Miele (2), Lauri Dalla Valle and Chris Fagan.

View attachment 1109291

A terrific away performance against Cork City, as we came away with a much needed 3 points with a 1-0 victory. A first goal for the club from 19 year old Eoghan Morgan ensured we picked up very important victory.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Eoghan Morgan

View attachment 1109292

This has to go down as our most disappointing performance and result of the season so far. Playing at home to local rivals Bohemians, we put in a terrible performance a fell to a 1-0 defeat. This means both of our league defeats this season have came against Bohemians.

View attachment 1109293

Back to winning ways in the League with a 3-0 home victory against Limerick City. Goals from Lewis Hardcastle and a double from Chris Fagan ensured we bounced back from the disappointing Bohemians defeat.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Chris Fagan

View attachment 1109294

Delighted to announce that Brandon Miele no longer wants to leave the club and has followed this up by signing a new 2 year contract which will now keep him with the club until December 2019.

View attachment 1109295

We came away with a 4-2 victory in the 2nd round of the Senior Challenge Cup, away to Waterford United. This is the first time this season that we have conceded 2 goals in any game but goals from Luke Byrne, Roberto Lopes, Lewis Hardcastle and Graham Burke ensured that we progressed to the next round.

View attachment 1109296

We closed out the month with another league victory, this time winning 2-1 at home to Bray Wanderers. Goals from Diego Franco and a Graham Burke penalty ensured we finished the month at the top of the table.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Diego Franco

View attachment 1109297

MONTHLY REVIEW:

We picked up 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in the League in May but the disappointment of the month was the home defeat to Bohemians and also dropping points to Longford Town again. We now have a 4 point lead over Dundalk at the top of the table as Dundalk didn't have the best month with 3 successive draws to close off the month. As holders of the League Cup, I was disappointed to be knocked out to St. Pats in the 2nd round. Happy to have reached the final of the Leinster Senior Cup and would like to have a good campaign in the Senior Challenge Cup this season, having fell at the quarter final stage last season, also to St. Pats. We our now on our mid season break and the only game scheduled for June is the League Cup Final which is against, you guessed it St. Pats.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Lewis Hardcastle (4), Chris Fagan (4), Diego Franco (3)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Roberto Lopes (no real stand out performer this month but Roberto put in a number of consistent performances throughout the month)
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 63% (5 wins from 8)​

JUNE 2016 ROUND UP:

View attachment 1109306

View attachment 1109307

2 disappointing injuries, with Roberto Lopes out for 3-4 months with an injury on international duty and Lauri Dalla Valle out for 2-3 months with a training ground injury. Will be looking for Sam Bone to step up and replace Roberto Lopes for the coming months and Chris Fagan is an adequate replacement for Dalla Valle but nonetheless, 2 injuries which will have a huge impact on our squad.

View attachment 1109308

We got a dream draw in the Champions League Champions 2nd Qualifying Round, getting paired with Scottish Champions, Celtic. I couldn't have asked for a better draw and no doubt the visit of Celtic to Tallaght Stadium will draw in a sellout crowd.

View attachment 1109309

Well the Leinster Senior Cup Final ended in disappointment. Not many chances created throughout the 120 minutes. However Graham Burke spurned the only big opportunity, missing a penalty with less than 20 minutes to go in normal time. We again fell to another disappointing penalty shootout defeat again to St. Pats. We need to bounce back with the League, 2 domestic cups and the Champions League tie with Celtic still to look forward to this season.​

Back