The Irish Rover

• Thread starter Thread starter Branaldo9
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 4K
JULY 2017 ROUND UP:

View attachment 100064

Disappointing draw at home to Finn Harps in the league to start the month. Goals from Graham Burke and Chris Fagan in a back and forth encounter which finished 2-2.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Graham Burke

View attachment 100055

Biggest game of the season away to Celtic at Parkhead in the Champions League Champions 2nd qualifying round first leg. Having fallen 2-0 behind, I was delighted with a late away goal from Diego Franco to bring us back to Tallaght Stadium still with a chance of qualifying for the next round.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Diego Franco

View attachment 100063

With a league match squashed in between both legs against Celtic, I was not surprised to see us put in such a lethargic performance, falling 3-0 behind at half time. Our second half display was better but we fell to a 3-2 defeat with both goals coming from Chris Fagan.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Ryan Connolly

View attachment 100062

We made our first signing of the transfer window, signing Scottish left back, Stephen Hendrie, on a free transfer after his contract with West Ham expired. I have allowed Bobby Moseley, to go on loan to Waterford as a result of this.

View attachment 100061

Our 2nd signing of the transfer window was Right Winger, Jack Dunn who also signed on a free transfer after his contract with Liverpool expired. I have ternimated the loan of Craig Thomson as a result of this as Craig requested to leave due to a frustration at a lack of opportunities.

View attachment 100060

The second leg of our Champions League qualification tie ended with the same result as we fell to another 2-1 defeat. Although disappointed, I am very happy with how my side acquitted themselves against one of Europe's most prestigious clubs and over 2 league we more than competed with the Scottish champions. Chris Fagan with the goal on the night but our European campaign is over prematurely this season.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Brandon Miele

View attachment 100059

A very entertaining league encounter away to Galway United followed our Champions League exploits. We ran out 3-2 winners but in truth either side could have won as it was end to end throughout. 2 goals from Chris Fagan and a debut goal for Jack Dunn provided us with the victory.

View attachment 100058

A top of the table clash finished out the month at home to Dundalk in the league. We ran out 2-1 winners in a really close encounter which put us back top of the table with a game in hand. Goals from Jack Dunn and Ryan Connolly.

View attachment 100057

We completed our 3rd signing of the window with Jake Clarke-Salter signing on a free transfer after his contract with Chelsea expired. The centre back will provide competition to David Webster, Arnin Aganovic and Diego Franco for the 2 starting spots at CB. Sean Heaney has signed for Sligo Rovers on loan for the rest of the season as a result of this.

View attachment 100056

A poor draw to Finn Harps and defeat to Derry City saw us drop to 2nd in the table behind Dundalk but back-to-back wins at the end of the month to Galway United and Dundalk ensured we finished the month back at the top of the table, 2 points clear of Dundalk with a game in hand. We put in a sterling effort over 2 legs against Celtic in our Champions League qualifier and I couldn't have asked more of the squad. We are scheduled to play 7 league games in August and will also play Shelbourne in the Senior Challenge Cup 3rd round.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Chris Fagan (9), Lewis Hardcastle (4), Diego Franco (3), Graham Burke (3)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Ryan Connolly (man of the match in 3 of our 6 games this month, Ryan had an excellent month in July)
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 33% (2 wins from 6)

View attachment 100053

I have been offered my first interview with another club as League One club Coventry City are interested in meeting to discuss their current managerial vacancy. I am seriously contemplating whether to accept their invitation as the thoughts of attempting to return Coventry City to the Premier League really appeals to me. The disappointment of being knocked out of Europe early on and having the chance to manage in England and at a time where the league is 2 weeks from beginning may be too much to resist. Although, on the flip side the chance to win back-to-back league titles with Shamrock Rovers and loyalty to the club make it a really tough decision.​

UPDATE:

View attachment 99564

Having decided to attend the Coventry City interview, I was delighted to be offered a 2 year deal with the club and be given my first opportunity in English management with the League 1 club. I have received a £300 increase on my weekly wage and will now be paid £1700 per week. The ambitions heading into the new season is a top half finish and I've been thrown in at the deep end with our first league fixture of the season 2 days away at home to newly promoted Crewe Alexandra.

View attachment 99563

With my year and a half spell with Shamrock Rovers coming to a close, I can look back fondly on winning the League and League Cup in my first season and the Presidents Cup this season. I also will remember fondly putting in a good challenge against Celtic over 2 legs in our Champions League qualifying clash losing 4-2 on aggregate.

KEY STATS:

HONOURS - League Champions 2016, League Cup Winner 2016, Presidents Cup Winner 2016
LEAGUE WIN PERCENTAGE - 54% (29 Wins/18 Draws/7 Losses)
GOALS SCORED/CONCEDED - 91/47
TOP LEAGUE GOALSCORERS - Graham Burke (23), Brandon Miele (16), Chris Fagan (9)
TOP PLAYERS - (1). Graham Burke, (2). Brandon Miele, (3). Roberto Lopes
BIGGEST WIN - 5-0 -V- Cork City, Premier Division

Great first club to start my managerial career but it's now time to make the move to England and start my dream of managing in the Premier League.​

AUGUST 2017 REVIEW:

View attachment 99310

With only 2 days preparation before the start of the new season and no time to make adjustments to the thin squad available, I was delighted to come away with a 2-1 win at home to Crewe Alexandra. Goals from left winger, Kyel Reid and on loan striker, Carlton Morris ensured I picked up a victory in my first game in charge.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Carlton Morris

View attachment 99309

Another win followed 3 days later in the 1st round of the League Cup. Another strike from Carlton Morris ensured we booked our place in the 2nd round and a home tie to Premier League outfit, West Brom.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Nathan Clarke

View attachment 99308

An outstanding performance in the League away to Bolton Wanderers as we ran out 3-0 winners to make it 3 wins from 3 since taking over as manager. 2 goals from Carlton Morris and a late strike from George Thomas put us top of the table after 2 games.

View attachment 99303

A disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Scunthorpe in the League ensured my 100% as manager came to an end. Nothing much to note from this game.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Reice Charles-Cook

View attachment 99307

We were back to winning ways in the League with a 3-2 win away to Oldham. Goals from Craig Tanner (pen) and another double for Carlton Morris brought us the victory.

View attachment 99306

A gutsy performance at home to West Brom in the 2nd round of the League Cup as fell to a 2-1 defeat. I was pleased with the spirit and effort put in by my team but unfortunately, we suffered my first defeat at the club. Goalscorer on the night was Michael Cain.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Michael Cain

View attachment 99305

A thrilling 3-3 draw at home to Gillingham in the League followed but after going 3-1 ahead, we threw the game away conceding either side of half time to drop 2 points. Goals from Craig Tanner, Carlton Morris and Gael Bigirimana.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Kyel Reid

View attachment 99304

The last game of the month was my first experience with the newly structured Checkatrade Trophy. Having drawn away to Bristol Rovers 1-1 in the first group game, the match went straight to a penalty shootout which we won 4-2. The rules of the Checkatrade Trophy is that a win on penalties is worth 2 points and the losing team in the shootout, still gets a point for the match ending a draw. Carlton Morris with the goal for us in regular time.

View attachment 99298

MONTHLY REVIEW:

With 3 wins and 2 draws from our first 5 league games, I am very happy to be sitting in 3rd position and currently unbeaten in league action. The goals from Carlton Morris have been invaluable in the early stages of the season with 6 league goals in the opening 5 games. In the cups, our spirited performance at home to West Brom was encouraging and a penalty shootout win away to Bristol Rovers in the bizzarre format of the Checkatrade trophy was pleasing.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Carlton Morris ( 6 ), Craig Tanner ( 2 )
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Carlton Morris (6 goals in the league and with a goal in each of the 2 cup competitions, Carlton has had an excellent first month at the club since his loan move from Norwich City.
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 63% (5 wins from 8 games)

SQUAD ANALYSIS:

GK: Reice Charles-Cook - Former Arsenal youth team player who signed for the club at the start of the 14/15 season and is in his 3rd season as number 1 goalkeeper.
GK: Lee Burge - Entering his 8th season with the club he started his career with, Lee has only made 34 league appearance in this period. He will go into this season, again, as back up to Charles-Cook.
RB: Kevin Foley - Former Republic of Ireland international, entering his 2nd season with the club. As the only recognised RB at the club, Kevin will be the RB heading into the new season but he has tons of experience having played in the Premier League with Wolves and I'm very happy to have his as the RB.
RB: 2nd RB still required
LB: Cian Harries - Started his career with the club having became a professional at the start of the 13/14 season. At only 20 years of age, Cian has a huge future ahead at the club and is already in his 5th season.
LB: Ryan Haynes- Another player who started his career at the club, Ryan signed professionally at the start of the 12/13 season and has made 52 league appearances since then. Similar to Cian Harries, I expect Ryan to have a big future at the club challenging for the LB role with Cian.
CB: Lloyd Jones - On loan from Liverpool, Lloyd Jones has already had a lot of experience at this level with loan spells at Plymouth, Blackpool and Swindon.
CB: Jordan Willis - I'm impressed with how many youth team graduates are in the Coventry City squad and Jordan Willis is no difference. Now in his 8th season with the club having signed in 10/11, Jordan is a key player for the club and has already made 115 league appearances at the age of 23.
CB: Jordan Turnbull - The former Southampton youth team player signed for the club from Swindon at the start of the 16/17 season for £250,000. At 22, Jordan is already an established first team player and I expect him to have a big future at the club along with some of the other outstanding youth prospects at the club.
CB: Nathan Clarke - At 33, Nathan is the experienced head at the back who I will be looking to help guide our youthful squad as 4th choice CB behind the 2 Jordan's and Lloyd Jones. Nathan is in his 2nd season with the club having signed from Bradford City.
DM: Collins Tanor - On loan from Man City, the Ghanaian will go into the season as my first choice DM. A position where we had no recognised player when I signed for the club.
DM: Glen Kamara - Signed on a free transfer after his contract with Arsenal expired. Although 21, Glen has only made 6 league appearances so far in his career and I am hoping to provide his with some experience this season.
CM: Gael Bigirimana - Started his career with the club in 10/11 before signing for Newcastle United in 12/13 for £800,000. Gael returned to the club on loan in 15/16 before resigning in 16/17 on a permanent basis. Gael will be the playmaker in the centre of midfield and will play a pivotal role this season. Another who has a big future at the club and at only 23, he will only get better.
CM: Michael Cain - Signed on a free transfer from Crawley Town before I signed with the club, I expect the former Leicester City youth team player, to partner Gael Bigirimana in the middle of midfield.
CM: Aiden O'Neill - On loan from Burnley, Aiden will provide competition for Michael Cain and Gael Bigirimana.
CM: Callum Reilly - Signed on a free transfer after his Burton Albion contract expired. I expect Callum to provide backup to our other centre midfield players and he can also fill in as a defensive midfielder if needed. At 23, he will continue to improve as a footballer.
RW: Craig Tanner - Signed on a free transfer from Reading, Craig will go into the season as first choice at RW. At 22, I expect Craig to improve and as a left footer, he will be similar to the role played by Graham Burke in my Shamrock Rovers team.
RW: Larnell Cole - Signed on a free transfer after his Fulham contract expired, Larnell will challenge Craig Tanner for a starting place on the right wing. The former Manchester United youth team player, signed a 2 year contract and at 22, I am hoping this will not be the only contract he signs with the club in the coming years.
LW: Kyel Reid - In his 2nd season with the club, Kyel will be my first choice left winger. At 29, Kyle is one of the most experienced players at the club and has a wealth of experience at this level having played for Wolves, Sheff United, Charlton and Bradford City.
LW: Javier Dilrosun - On loan from Man City, Javier will start the season as back up to Kyel Reid in the LW position.
FW: Carlton Morris - On loan from Norwich City, Carlton will be my number 1 striker and has already scored 8 goals this season in 8 appearances, including 6 in the opening 5 league games.
FW: George Thomas - Another to have started his career with Coventry, having signed in 13/14. At 20, George has already made 53 league appearances for the club scoring 11 goals.
FW: Luke Williams - At 16, I'm not expecting too much from Luke this season but with his outstanding potential I have decided to keep him involved with the first team squad this season as my 3rd choice striker. Luke is 1 of the 8 players in my 23 man first team squad who has come through the Coventry City academy which I think is an unbelievable statistic.

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER REVIEW:

View attachment 99145

A late equaliser from Ben Reeves stopped us from picking up 3 points at home to MK Dons. The match finished 1-1 with Carlton Morris scoring for us.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Jordan Turnbull

View attachment 99144

A good away win against Cambridge in the league with Kyel Reid and Carlton Morris on the scoresheet.

View attachment 99143

Back to back away league victories, this time against AFC Wimbledon. Having fallen behind after only 2 minutes, I was delighted with the response from my players and goals from Kyel Reid and Cian Harries ensured the victory.

View attachment 99142

Disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Peterbrough in the league. Not much to report as it was a dull and drab affair.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Jordan Willis

View attachment 99141

I finally made my final signing to complete my squad with RB Liam Shephard signing on a free transfer after his contract with Yeovil Town expired.

View attachment 99140

Back-to-back league draws as we drew 2-2 away to Burton Albion in the league. We were behind twice and 2 goals from Carlton Morris ensured we came away from the Pirelli Stadium with a point.

View attachment 99139

We finished the month with our 3rd straight draw in the league. Having fallen 3-1 behind after only 35 minutes, my team showed excellent character to yet again come from behind to salvage a point. Goals from Ryan Haynes, Jordan Turnbull and Kyel Reid.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Ryan Haynes

View attachment 99138

MONTHLY REVIEW:

4 draws from 6 league fixtures this month isn't a great return but with 2 wins also, we picked up 10 points from a possible 18 and currently sit 3rd in the table. However, at this early stage of the season there is only 4 points between top spot and 8th place. We still remain unbeaten in the league after 11 fixtures but have now drawn 6 of them games.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Carlton Morris (10), Kyel Reid (4), Craig Tanner (2)
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Carlton Morris (has been a revelation since signing on loan from Norwich City, Carlton is already into double figures for league goals with 10 in 11 appearances)
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 33% (2 wins from 6 games)​

Last edited:
All the best at Coventry! Have my own save going on with them

Just caught up on your save there. If mine goes half as well as you are doing I would be very happy.

I'm sure the form from Shamrock Rovers will soon carry over. Michael Folivi is the key in mine he is such a beast

OCTOBER ROUND UP:

View attachment 98862

Good start to the month with a 1-0 win in the Checkatrade Trophy at home to Swansea City. An own goal from Carl Stevens ensured the win and top spot in our group. A disappointing injury to Carlton Morris will keep him out of action for 3 weeks.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Lloyd Jones

View attachment 98861

A much needed victory at home to Bury in the league after 3 straight league draws. Goals from George Thomas, who was brought into the starting lineup to replace the injured Carlton Morris and Kyel Reid ensured the victory.
MAN OF THE MATCH - George Thomas

View attachment 98860

Disappointed to only come away with a point away to Charlton Athletic after going ahead twice and dominating the game for the majority of the match. The final score of 2-2 does not represent the dominance which we had. Goals from George Thomas and Gael Bigirimana.

View attachment 98859

Again, we utterly dominated but only came away with a draw. Although, coming up against top of the table Rochdale and coming away with a point shows we are one of the major challengers for a promotion place this season.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Liam Shephard

View attachment 98858

A disappointing injury as first team goalkeeper, Reice Charles-Cook, will be out of action for 2-3 weeks with a twisted ankle. This will give a rare opportunity to long serving backup goalkeeper, Lee Burge.

View attachment 98857

Again this month, we have drawn 3 straight league games with a 3-3 draw away to 2nd place Chesterfield. Similar to other drawn games this season, we absolutely dominated and stormed into a 2-0 lead with goals from Jordan Turnbull and Michael Cain but Chesterfield fought back in the 2nd half and brought the game level with 15 minutes to go. Substitute Callum Reilly scored his first goal for the club with 10 minutes to go to make it 3-2 but a stoppage time equaliser from Ched Evans ensured that Chesterfield got a share of the spoils.

View attachment 98856

Very happy to see my former club win the League of Ireland comfortably in the end. They will now get another crack at the Champions League next season which I will monitor with a keen interest.

View attachment 98855

Finally back to winning ways to finish the month with a 2-0 away win at Northampton. Goals from Kyel Reid and the returning Carlton Morris ensured we remained unbeaten in the league this season.

View attachment 98854

Another month unbeaten which now sees us unbeaten after 16 league fixtures. However, we need to find a way of converting draws into wins and in particular closes out games which we dominate and are winning. Having lost leads to Charlton and Chesterfield this month, this is the major issue we are having. 2 wins and 3 draws from our 5 fixtures this month ensure that we go into November in 4th place and challenging for a promotion place in the early stages of the season. We have also progressed in the group stages of the Checkatrade Trophy. We have also been drawn to play non league Stratford Town in the 1st round of the FA Cup which will be our first fixture in November.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Carlton Morris ( 11 ), Kyel Reid ( 6 ), George Thomas ( 3 )
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Kyel Reid (there was a number of standout performers this month including midfield pair Gael Bigirimana and Michael Cain but I'm giving the player of the month to left winger Kyel Reid who not only creates goals but has chipped in with 6 league goals this season.
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 50% (3 wins from 6 games)​

NOVEMBER ROUND UP:

View attachment 98820

Decided to put out my strongest line up against non-league Stratford in the 1st round of the FA Cup. We ran out 3-0 winners with a first goal for the club for Larnell Cole and a double for the prolific Carlton Morris.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Jordan Turnbull

View attachment 98819

A 1-0 win at home to Burton Albion ensured that we finished top of our group in the Checkatrade Trophy. Carlton Morris again popped up with the winner. We have now been drawn at home to Watford in the 2nd round of the competition.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Ryan Haynes

View attachment 98818

A return to league action for the 1st time in 2 weeks at home to Wycombe was met with a 2-0 courtesy of goals from Callum Reilly and an own goal from Wycombe midfielder, Marcus Bean.
MAN OF THE MATCH - Callum Reilly

View attachment 98817

I was content with a 1-1 draw away to promotion chasers Walsall to keep ourselves top of the table. We fell behind early on but an equaliser from Jordan Turnbull ensured we came away with a crucial point.
MAN OF THE MATCH -

View attachment 98816

Our biggest win of the season so far and the first time we have scored over 3 goals this season with a dominant 4-1 win at home to Rotherham. Having been relegated from the Championship last season, Rotherham have struggled toward the bottom of League 1. Goals from Carlton Morris, Michael Cain (2) and Collins Tanor.

View attachment 98815

Another excellent victory to another of the relegated Championship sides of last season with a 3-2 win away to Barnsley. 2 goals from Carlton Morris and Callum Reilly's 3rd league goal of the season brought us the victory.

View attachment 98814

MONTHLY REVIEW:

Advancement in both the FA Cup and Checkatrade Trophy and 10 points from 4 league fixtures ensured that this was our best month of the season in terms of results. We currently sit top of the table on goal difference ahead of Peterbrough and still remain unbeaten after 20 league fixtures. With only 1 point between ourselves and 4th placed Chesterfield, it is unbelievably competitive at the top of the League 1 table.

TOP GOALSCORERS (SEASON) - Carlton Morris ( 14 ), Kyel Reid ( 6 ), George Thomas ( 3 )
PLAYER OF THE MONTH - Carlton Morris (with 6 goals in 6 games, it's been another excellent month for the on loan Norwich City striker. Having won 3 of the 4 player of the month awards, the form of Carlton will be significant in our push for promotion).
MANAGERIAL WIN RATE - 83% (5 wins from 6 games)​

Back