The Jewel of Old Bari - An Antonio Cassano & SSC Bari Story

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
1608389466607.png

The Jewel of Old Bari - An Antonio Cassano & SSC Bari Story

My decision is made about my new save. I am rocking up in Italy with a lower league management save as I take over SSC Bari while managing under the pretence of being Antonio Cassano. Bari are historically the 17th best club in Italy however they have never won a major trophy. They have been reborn a couple of times due to financial difficulties but in the early 90s they held the British transfer record when they signed David Platt for £5.5m.

The current side are in Serie C (the lowest level in FM21) and having been bought over by the owners of Napoli, Luigi De Laurentiis, there is a hope that they can return to Serie A. The club play in the huge San Nicola Stadium which was built for Italia 90 so that bodes well for the future but the other facilities at the club need to be improved.

My aim of this save is to take Bari to the top of Italian football and then European football while if there is a chance to manage the Italian national side then all the better. The reputation of Antonio Cassano is going to change!!!!!

--

1608389877521.png

ANTONIO CASSANO

Il Gioiello di Bari Vecchia (The Jewel of Old Bari) was a mercurial footballer with a reputation as being a bit of a badboy. He was born in Bari and started his career there before sealing a £28m move to Roma at the age of 19. He went on to play for Real Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Sampdoria amongst others as well as earning 39 caps for the Italian national team. Upon retirement he has opened up about his womanising etc and I think he was in the Italian big brother. Now in this save he is returning to his hometown club to take them back to the top!
history.png

--

1608390540458.png

Founded - 1908 (also 1928 & 2018)
Nicknames - I Galletti (The Cockerels), I Biancorossi (The White & Reds)
Stadium - Stadio San Nicola
Capacity - 58,270
Record Transfer Fee Paid - £9m to Genoa for Leonardo Bonucci (2009)
Record Transfer Fee Received - £28m from Roma for Antonio Cassano (2001)​

1608393341645.png

PRE-SEASON & SEPTEMBER

So I rock up at Bari and I immediately notice that the logo in my game is the old logo compared to the one above! We are in one of the 3 Serie C divisions and in our league we have the likes of Palermo, Catania, Foggia and Ternana to play against although we are predicted to win the league. The board have told me they expect us to win the league too and then become a solid Serie B side over the upcoming seasons.

I inherited a decent playing squad with quite a bit of experience. My best player is a striker on loan from Napoli (the club share the same board and we can loan players from them) but overall I was quite content except there was a lack of wingers and AMCs!!!!! Financially I was given a starting budget of around £300k so all in all I had a good base to build upon.

Onto the transfers!!!!

--

PLAYERS OUT

My main transfer out didnt go down to well as I sold one of our best players in Mirco Antenucci. The 36y/o striker is a Serie B striker to be fair but he was on £12k a week and to get £110k for a veteran was too good a deal to turn down. However upon selling him the squad wasnt happy so it wasnt the best of starts for me.

I then went on to sell 5 other players for a total of £265k including some more veterans leaving the club. I was basically trying to stamp my authority on the side in my attempts to bring in a new era to the club.

--

PLAYERS IN

Now I am excited about these guys!!! I have only spent £160k but I have brought in some real quality into the club as I used the loan market to great effect. The transfer window is still open and I still have a bit of money to spend (£750k) but if the window was to shut just now I would be happy.

The only player I have signed so far for cash is the Tunisian international, Hamza Rafia. I signed him for £160k from Juventus and I hope the 21y/o will prove to become a key player but who knows.
rafia.png

My best signing undoubtedly however was that of Matteo Gabbia from AC Milan on loan. The 20y/o CB is valued at £3.9m and is a Serie B player at the very least. He should stroll it at this level and I expect big things from him.
gabbia.png

Vincenzo Millico is the next Serie A prospect who I signed and the 20y/o who I signed on loan from Torino will be my left winger. He can also play up front but I dont expect him to play there too often.
millico.png

My final loan signing was a left back from Spezia. Simone Bastoni came in and he should also be a star at this level.
bastoni.png

My final signing is that of my new goalkeeper. Laurentiu Branescu came in on a free transfer after he was released from Juventus. He spent last season on loan from Kilmarnock and I think he will be a decent addition.
branescu.png

--

1608394707048.png

Coppa Italia 1st Qualifying Round
gubbio.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Ciofani (Andreoni), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Maita, De Risio (Hamlili), Marras*, Lollo, Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone

Not a bad way to start my career!!! My on loan Napoli striker, Leonardo Candellone, scored a fantastic hat-trick but it was Manuel Marras who got the MOM of the award as he got 3 assists.

--

Coppa Italia 2nd Qualifying Round
cremonense.png

Lineup
- Branescu*, Semenzato, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Maita, De Risio, Marras (D'Ursi), Lollo (Rafia), Millico (Citro), Candellone

Cremonense are in Serie B and we knock them out here although we needed them to get a man sent-off like in our previous game lol. We didnt start off great and fell behind but from the moment they went down to 10 men we dominated and we should have won it before extra-time. It went to penalties and despite us missing our first one they missed their first 2 and their 5th so through we go!

Some incredible signings right there...even if they are only on loan!!

Nice one, I did this last year for a couple of seasons

1608399731922.png

OCTOBER

paganese.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Semenzato (Andreoni), Gabbia*, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Maita, De Risio, Marras, Lollo, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

We kick off our league campaign with a victory. Millico converted an early penalty while Lollo sealed it and Marras had a goal disallowed in between.

--

catania.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato, Celiento, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Maita, De Risio, Marras*, Lollo, Millico (Citro) (D'Ursi), Candellone (Simeri)

I am delighted with this win as Catania are one of the biggest clubs in the division and we easily beat them. Marras scored twice with his 2nd goal being a fine solo effort although Citro got injured and we now have 7 first team players on the sidelines which is a huge worry.

--

ternana.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato (Andreoni), Celiento, Perrotta, Minelli, Maita, De Risio (Rafia), Marras, Lollo, Millico*, Candellone

WOW!!!! Ternana are another of the big hitters in the division but we thrashed them here as we put 7 past them and had a goal disallowed. Millico scored an amazing 5 goals which is truly incredible and this result comes on the day where I didnt have enough players to fill my substitutes bench!!!!!!

--

catanzaro.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato (Andreoni), Gabbia*, Perrotta, Minelli, Maita (Sekulov), De Risio, Marras, Lollo (Rafia), Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Our first dropped points of the season but we were unlucky as we had 2 goals disallowed through Millico and Simeri. Just one of those days.

--

virtus.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato, Celiento, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Maita, De Risio, Marras*, Lollo (Rafia), Millico, Candellone

We were back in amongst the goals here as we netted 4. We also had our customary goal disallowed.

--

vibonese.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato, Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Maita, De Risio, Marras*, Lollo (Rafia), Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone

We smashed in 5 goals here and Manuel Marras put in another standout performance. He has 6 goals and 8 assists in 8 matches this season!

--

palermo.png

Lineup - Branescu, Semenzato*, Gabbia, Perrotta, Minelli, Maita, De Risio, Marras, Lollo (Rafia), Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone (Simeri)

This is a good win. We had a goal disallowed through De Risio but in the end we got the win thanks to Manuel Marras who popped up yet again with a goal.

--

Coppa Italia 3rd Qualifying Round
VENEZIA.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Semenzato, Gabbia, Perrotta, Minelli, Maita, De Risio (Sekulov), Marras*, Rafia (Lollo), Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Superb. Venezia are in Serie B but we tore them apart here and lo and behold it was Manuel Marras who starred as he got a hat-trick.

--

SUMMARY

Well apart from a no score draw against Catanzaro I cant complain about this month as we have just smashed teams. From putting 7 past Ternana and also easily beating Virtus Francavilla and Vibonese to thumping Venezia in the Coppa Italia and we will play Parma in the next round. In the league we are 2pts clear with a game in hand and I just noticed that if you finish between 2nd and 10th you get a play-off spot.

My players have been playing really well, especially Manuel Marras who incredibly has 10 goals and 8 assists from just 10 games. Millico has been great even though the Torino manager isnt happy that I am not playing him up front. Weirdly the AC Milan manager isnt happy about me not playing Gabbia as a ball playing defender but I am!!!!!

I made another signing before the transfer window shut as I gave Juventus £145,000 for their teenager Nikola Sekulov.
sekulov.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL MARRAS

MARRAS.png

--

SERIE C/C
oct.png

1608457305393.png

NOVEMBER

cavese.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Semenzato (Sabbione), Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio (Minelli), Maita, De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Our first defeat of the season. As ever we had a goal disallowed (Marras) and we defended awfully and lost the match. Cavese are now 2nd so they cant be that bad however I expect much better.

--

avellino.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Sabbione (Celiento), Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Maita (Lollo), De Risio, Marras, Rafia (Sekulov), Millico, Candellone*

We get back to winning ways as we thrash Avellino who have a historic rivalry with us apparently. We netted 5 goals and guess what? Marras had a goal disallowed!!!!!!!

--

bisceglie.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio (Bastoni), Maita (Rafia), Lollo, Marras*, Sekulov, Millico, Candellone

We were ruthless in front of goal here as we scored 7. Marras got a hat-trick and despite me having 8 players out injured and being unable to fill my subs bench we romped to victory. We got our disallowed goal out of the way early here - Candellone in the 3rd minute.

--

potenza.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Minelli, Perrotta, D'Orazio (Bastoni), Maita (D'Ursi), Lollo, Marras, Sekulov, Millico, Candellone*

Leonardo Candellone put in an excellent performance here as he scored 4 goals including a 35 yard free-kick. He could have scored a couple more too tbh and miraculously we didnt have a goal disallowed!!!

--

monopoli.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Minelli (Andreoni), Perrotta, D'Orazio (Bastoni), Maita, De Risio, Marras, Sekulov, Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone*

All is right in the world - De Risio had a goal disallowed lol.

--

teramo.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Maita (D'Ursi), Lollo (Rafia), Marras, Sekulov, Millico, Candellone

This is a disappointing result but we will take it on the chin and move on. I never thought we were in any trouble until they scored 2 quickfire goals to put themselves 3-2 up. Thankfully D'Ursi came off the bench to equalise for us.

--

casertana.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Maita, De Risio, Marras (Rafia), Sekulov, Millico, Candellone (D'Ursi)

More dropped points as we fail to beat Casertana. We missed loads of chances and for once we couldnt grab a few goals. Millico and Marras have certainly gone off the boil.

--

Coppa Italia 4th Qualifying Round
parma.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento, Minelli*, Perrotta (Andreoni), Bastoni, Maita (Rafia), De Risio (D'Orazio), Marras, Sekulov (Sabbione), Millico, Candellone (D'Ursi)

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

We knock out Serie A side Parma with a backs to the wall performance here. Minelli looped in a header and after that it was a case of holding on - especially after Celiento got sent-off but we managed to do so for a momentous victory!

--

turris.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Andreoni), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Maita (Rafia), De Risio, Marras, Sekulov, Millico, Candellone*

After 2 draws in the league we get back on track with a win here. Despite falling behind early doors we battered Turris and Candellone picked up another hat-trick and naturally had a goal disallowed.

--

SUMMARY

This was another crazy month as we had 9 matches and tbh it took its toll on my players as we are struggling with injuries and fitness. In the league we lost to Cavese before stringing 4 wins in a row however we then drew twice disappointingly before thumping Turris. We are 6pts clear and on the verge of running away with the league as we are scoring goals a plenty.

Our exploits in the Coppa Italia continue as we defeated Parma 1-0 away with 10 men to go into the first round proper and we have a tie against Inter Milan to look forward to. We are the only Serie C side left in the tournament unsurprisingly but in all honesty I think we are playing at Serie B level.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
LEONARDO CANDELLONE
CANDELLONE.png

--

SERIE C/C
NOV.png

1608476817606.png

DECEMBER

foggi.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Minelli (Sabbione), Bastoni (D'Orazio), Maita, De Risio, D'Ursi, Sekulov, Millico (Citro), Candellone (Simeri)

FFS!!!! This is a derby match (The Apulia derby) and we failed to beat them. We took the lead but made a defensive error and were pegged back. We did however get a last minute penalty however Citro had his effort saved.

--

juve.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Rafia, De Risio, Marras, Sekulov, D'Ursi, Candellone (Simeri)

Another really poor showing and it is now 4 draws in our last 5 league games. My players are ****** tbh and the January transfer window cant come round quick enough so I can hopefully bring in some reinforcements.

--

viterbese.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia (Minelli), Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Matia, De Risio, Marras*, Sekulov, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

We get a win here but it should have been much more comfortable as Candellone had 2 goals disallowed and Millico blasted a penalty wide.

--

teramo.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Minelli, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Matia, De Risio (Lollo), Marras*, Sekulov (Rafia), Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Another 1-1 draw and once again we created enough chances to win several games and surprise surprise we had a disallowed goal. We are really struggling at the minute.

--

SUMMARY

This month was ****. We drew 3 matches and won one and performed awfully in just about every match. I am playing with a very attacking mentality so that might explain the defensive lapses but by god the amount of disallowed goals we are getting is just incredible.

We now go into the winter break and I expect better performances in the new year.

I did sign 2 new players towards the end of the month as I brought in Simone De Marco and Joao Silva on free transfers. I will have to free up 2 spaces in my registered squad before they can play however.
de marco.png
joao silva.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL MARRAS
MARRAS.png

--

SERIE C/C

DEC.png

1608481861138.png

JANUARY

paganese.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento, Silva, Minelli (Sabbione), D'Orazio, Matia (Lollo), De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico, Candellone (D'Ursi)

YOU CAN **** RIGHT OFF!!!!!!

Sick of 1-1 draws and I AM ******* SICK OF DISALLOWED GOALS!!!!!!!

Surely this is a bug in the game?

Killing me this.

In case you are wondering it was Rafia who had one chalked off this match. Must have had about 20 so far this season.

--

Coppa Italia 1st Round
inter.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Semenzato (Andreoni), Gabbia, Silva, D'Orazio (Bastoni), Lollo (De Marco), De Risio, Marras (D'Ursi), Rafia, Millico, Candellone

Having lost the plot with my players in previous games I am proud of them here as we kept Inter Milan honest and amazingly scored 4 goals against them. Having said that I wonder what might have been had we not been 2-0 down after 2 minutes!

No disallowed goals lol.

--

catania.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo (De Marco), De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico (D'Ursi*), Candellone (Simeri)

This was a horrible, boring match but we got a win thanks to D'Ursi and a clean sheet to boost.

--

ternana.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo, De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico*, Candellone (Simeri)

The top 2 sides went head to head here and it was ourselves who won the match with Millico scoring in both the first and last minute. His 2nd goal was a beauty as he volleyed in first time from 20 yards. A big win.

--

catanzaro.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Lollo (Matia), De Risio, Marras, Rafia*, Millico, Candellone (D'Ursi)

For the 2nd week in a row the top 2 went ahead and it was a cracker. We shared 2 early goals but went into the break behind against the run of play. Marras soon levelled after the break and Millico struck the winner in injury time to extend our lead at the top of the table.

--

SUMMARY

January on the whole was a positive month despite me having a meltdown after we drew with Paganese in our first match. We then had a thrilling 6-4 defeat to Inter Milan in the Coppa Italia before we strung together 3 wins including victories over Ternana and Catanzaro who are right behind us in the table.

We have opened up an 8pt lead at the top of the table with a game in hand so we just need to see the job through and despite me despairing over our many 1-1 draws we are actually unbeaten in our last 15 league matches.

Regarding the transfer window I didnt do anything apart from sell a striker. Quite disappointing however tbh but I kinda figured that we are good enough to win the league without spending more money.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HAMZA RAFIA
RAFIA.png

--

SERIE C/C
JAN.png

1608495809525.png

FEBRUARY

virtus.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo*, De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Fantastic. We smashed in 6 goals and kept a clean sheet so I am very happy however Candellone has now gone 7 league games without scoring which is a huge worry.

--

vibonese.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo (Hamlili), De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

Absolutely pathetic. Thats all.

--

palermo.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Matia*, De Risio, Marras, Rafia (Sekulov), Millico, Candellone (Citro)

A good win away to Palermo as they are riding high at the top of the league but we just edged them out here. How we can draw at home to lowly Vibonese but then go away and beat Palermo is beyond me.

--

foggia.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Silva, Perrotta, Bastoni, Matia (Lollo), De Risio (De Marco), Marras, Rafia, D'Ursi, Candellone*

Derby day joy as Candellone ended a 9 game scoreless streak by scoring a hat-trick and having a goal disallowed to boot.

--

cavese.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Gabbia*, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Matia (Lollo), De Risio, Marras, Rafia, D'Ursi (Sekulov), Candellone

Cavese are the one team in the league to beat us this season and we got sweet revenge by scoring a winner 5min into stoppage time. Candellone scored again however he missed a first half penalty.

--

SUMMARY

On the whole this month was decent apart from a horror draw against Vibonese. We won all of our other matches and our lead at the top of the table is now 14pts. Whats more we have secured a play-off spot at the very least lol.

We just need to keep on going and we should stroll towards the league title.

Youth intake next month.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
VINCENZO MILLICO
MILLICO.png

--

SERIE C/C
FEB.png

1608628370013.png

MARCH

avellino.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo (Maita), De Risio, Marras (D'Ursi), Rafia (Sekulov), Millico*, Candellone

A thrilling match but we should have been out of sight. When they went down to 10 men I thought we would win but inexplicably we went 3-2 down. Millico then missed a penalty for his hat-trick but thankfully we levelled and D'Ursi came off the bench to score the winner in stoppage time.

--

bisceglie.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Maita (Hamlili), De Risio, Marras*, Rafia, Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone

Having beaten Bisceglie 7-0 earlier this season I was expecting a comfortable match but it was not to be as Bisceglie scored with theor 2 shots on goal. Fortunately Marras came up with a double to win us the match.

--

POTENZA.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento, Minelli, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Maita, De Risio, Marras, Rafia*, D'Ursi, Candellone (Simeri)

CHAMPIONS!!!!!

We seal promotion with this win with 5 games left to play. Gabbia and Millico were missing because they are away on international duty which is a shame.

SERIE B HERE WE COME.

--

MONOPOLI.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Minelli, Perrotta, Bastoni, Lollo, De Risio, Marras (Sekulov), Rafia*, D'Ursi, Candellone

Monopoli dont have a manager at the moment however they didnt do too badly here. We came out on top however with Rafia scoring the goal of the game with a 30 yard free-kick.

--

SUMMARY

We wrapped up the league title this month and in doing so we have qualified for some sort of Serie C cup which will be interesting! I now have to plan ahead for a season in Serie B which will be extremely tricky as apart from Marras, Perrotta and Rafia none of my players that I own are really at the level of Serie B!!!!

The youth intake was good for a Serie C side but not for a Serie B side lol.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
HAMZA RAFIA
HZ.png

--

SERIE C/C
MARCH.png

1608632584744.png

APRIL

casertana.png

Lineup
- Branescu*, Celiento (Andreoni), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Lollo, De Risio, Marras (D'Ursi), Rafia, Millico, Candellone (Simeri)

We got the win but our 2nd half performance was unacceptable as they were by far the better team and had 2 goals disallowed. We now have 100 league goals though.

--

turris.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia (Silva), Perrotta, Bastoni*, Lollo, De Risio (Maita), D'Ursi, Rafia, Sekulov (Gobbo), Candellone (Borella)

A win and a clean sheet as the Bari steam roller keeps on going. I gave my 2 best youth intake players, Gobbo and Borella, their debuts here with Gobbo managing to get a debut goal.

--

juve.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni (D'Orazio), Lollo (Maita), De Risio, D'Ursi (Gobbo), Rafia, Millico (Sekulov), Candellone*

Candellone's 4th hat-trick of the league campaign and Maita's 1st goal of the season saw us beat Juve Stabia 4-0 here. Candellone now has 32 goals for the season in all competitions.

--

viterbese.png

Lineup - Branescu, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta (Minelli), Bastoni (D'Orazio), Maita, De Risio, D'Ursi (Gobbo), Rafia, Millico, Candellone (Sekulov)

A horrible way to end the season as we suffer only our 2nd defeat of the league campaign against the team 2nd from bottom. As ever I bemoan disallowed goals as Candellone in the 1st half and De Risio in stoppage time both had goals chalked off.

--

SUMMARY

We were seeing through the end of the season easily enough until the final day when we lost to Viterbese which was a bit of a dampner! Not to worry though as we go into the Supercoppa di Serie C in high spirits having trounced our division. I would like to win the Supercoppa as I dont intend to be managing a team that particapates in it again!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
LAURENTIU BRANESCU
BRANESCU.png

1608636749381.png

MAY

Supercoppa di Serie C
livorno.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Gabbia, Perrotta, Bastoni, Lollo (Maita), De Risio, D'Ursi (Marras), Rafia*, Millico, Candellone (Borella)

2 late goals from Perrotta and Rafia gave us victory here but we should have been out of sight much sooner as we battered Livorno. Candellone had a 1st half goal disallowed.

--

Supercoppa di Serie C
perugia.png

Lineup
- Branescu, Celiento (Semenzato), Gabbia, Perrotta (Minelli), Bastoni, Maita, De Risio*, Marras, Rafia (Sekulov), Millico (D'Ursi), Candellone (Borella)

We are crowned as the champions of all the 3 Serie C leagues with this result. It was an entertaining affair with 7 goals and we edged it thanks to 2 magnificent long range strikes from De Risio. His first was a 30 yard volley. Is this the last game at the club for Candellone, Millico, Gabbia and Bastoni?

group.png

--

1608638209177.png

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Season one is over with and it was hugely successful!!! We stormed the league and only suffered defeat twice, averaged 3 goals a game and ended up winning the league by a whopping 18pts!!!!! We did have a sticky period when we drew 6 out of 8 and I must admit I was raging at that time but we picked things up in the 2nd half of the season. To top it off we managed to win the Supercoppa di Serie C by beating Livorno and Perugia and we will play them again in Serie B next season.

Our exploits in the Coppa Italia were astounding. We navigated the 4 qualifying rounds, including beating Serie B side Venezia 5-1 and Serie A side Parma 1-0 before we rocked up to play Inter Milan. They beat us 6-4 but we gave them a right good game and it showed the rest of Italy what we are about.

Not much else to say really!!!

--

SERIE C/C
final.png

--

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

SQUAD.png
SQUAD2.png

Goalkeepers - My summer signing, Branescu, played every match for me and he did ok considering I was playing gung-ho football. I dont think he will be my keeper in Serie B but I have so many positions to strengthen some players may end up getting a chance next season.

Defenders - Gabbia came in from AC Milan on loan and he did well although I expected more - especially since he is good enough to play in Serie A. Perrotta was his partner and he did well while I played Celiento out of position basically all season at RB. Minelli was my backup but had his moment in the sun when he scored the winner against Parma in the Coppa Italia. D'Orazio and Bastoni were my left backs and they played a lot but were both pretty useless lol.

Midfielders - I had so many and so many played! I started the season with Maita and De Risio at CM but ended up with Lollo taking Maita's role. Maita upon looking at his stats actually did brilliantly and assisted 15 goals while De Risio scored 8 including a few long range screamers. On the right wing I had Manuel Marras and he started the season on fire. In the end he scored 25 goals and got 15 assists and he is by far and away our best player that we own.

On the left wing I played one of my other loan signings, Vincenzo Millico. He scored 27 goals and collected 17 assists and was superb even though he was ****** off at not playing up front. He scored 5 goals in one match and was our regular penalty taker. At AMC I had my 2 signings that I paid money for - Rafia and Sekulov.

Sekulov was the first one to make an impression and hit a good run of form midway through the season but then Rafia came into the side and he was outstanding as in 24 starts he scored 9 goals and got 16 assists.

D'Ursi was a backup winger and he got into double figures for goals however he wont be around next season as he signed a pre-contract agreement with somebody else.

Forwards - My on loan striker from Napoli, Leonardo Candellone, was our main man and he ended up with 33 goals. He started every match and I wonder how many goals he would have had if the disallowed ones had counted and he hadnt had a 9 game barren spell in the league!

My Player of the Season - Manuel Marras
My Young Player of the Season - Vincenzo Millico
Must Do Better - Tommaso D'Orazio
Donkey of the Season - Zaccaria Hamlili

--

AIMS FOR PRE-SEASON

I have so much work to do!!!! With my loan players leaving I have to replace them or try and bring them back but I basically have to overhaul the whole squad but fair play to the board I have a budget of £3m to work with. I think its fair to say that I will be scouring the free agents and the loan market to bulk up my squad.

I will also look into my coaching staff for the U20s etc as I basically ignored them all season but now we are in Serie B I better put in the effort to help them out.​

1608670646984.png

PRE-SEASON POST

As you can see above I decided to try and get the 2020-21 loan boys back and you will see below how I got on. This summer has been all about strengthening the squad for our Serie B campaign but I am at loggerheads with the board. They want direct, counter attacking football and expect us to stay in Serie B while I am sticking to my principles (although I wont go very attacking this season) and instead of surviving in Serie B, with the players that I have signed, I want a top 6 finish.

Looking at the Serie B squads Parma are miles and miles and miles ahead of everyone else but I reckon I have built a side to compete at the top end of the table.

Anywho so far I have signed 11 players, the £450k I have spent have been on loan fees and only 3 players have came in permanently. I used the loan market to its full effect.

So without further ado here are my transfer dealings........

--

PLAYERS OUT

I managed to take in £925k in transfer fees with the biggest fee (375k) being already arranged when I came to the club. Most of the players who left were hardly used last season but the likes of Simeri, Sabbione and Semenzato have left.

I have 11 new players to show you so I better get on with it...........

--

1608671454299.png

PLAYERS IN

Firstly to the players who have returned from their loan spells from last season. I have managed to bring Gabbia, Millico and Candellone back into the club. I had to pay wages for Gabbia and Millico but due to our linkup with Napoli, Candellone is completely free.
gabbia.png
millico.png
candellone.png

In addition to that I took 2 more players on loan from AC Milan (Gabbia being one also). I moved to bring in Alessandro Plizzari for £160k for the season and my director of football managed to bring in Marco Brescianini in for the season. Both are huge upgrades to what I have already got in my ranks and I hope they can propel us forward. These are the type of players I would like to sign on a permanent basis but the finances dictate otherwise.
plizzarr#.png
brescianini.png

My director of football struck again as he arranged another loan deal with Napoli to bring in Gianluca Gaetano for no fee whatsoever. He will be my AMC which is a bit harsh on Rafia but he is a cut above him and we shall see how he gets on.
gaetano.png

Arguably my best signing however and for a £275,000 loan fee, I have managed to bring in Inter Milan teenage sensation Simone Esposito. The 19y/o is one of Italy's brightest prospects and I hope that he can hit the ground running and find Serie B below himself.
esposito.png

Riccardo Calafiori was the last loan signing brought in as the 19y/o came in from Roma to be my new left back. I had a look at a few other left backs and did consider bringing Bastoni back however I went for someone new. He has decent attributes and although there were a few more experienced players I could have brought in I plumped for this lad.
calafiroi.png

Now for my 3 permanent signings. Riccardo Brosco came in to replace Minelli as a backup CB while Giuseppe Mastinu will be my new backup winger. Finally I brought in from Juventus a young midfielder called Filippo Ranocchia.
brosco.png
mastinu.png
ranocchia.png

--

AIMS FOR THE SEASON

I know the board want us to just survive but I want us to make an impression. A top 6 finish is what I want and with my loan signings I see no reason why we cant do that. The one worry I do have is that in my first XI only 4 of them are under contract by us so we are basically trying to patch a side together but having said that the likes of Gabbia, Candellone and Millico were here last season.

This season should be interesting!!!!!

Espostio is gonna tear up that league!!

1608915364545.png

AUGUST

Coppa Italia 2nd Qualifying Round
campobasso.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta (Brosco), Calafiori, Brescianini (Ranocchia), De Risio, Marras, Gaetano, Millico, Esposito*

We kick off the season with a comfortable win and a debut double from Esposito helped us on our way.

--

Coppa Italia 3rd Qualifying Round

torino.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori (D'Orazio), Brescianini, De Risio*, Marras, Gaetano, Millico, Esposito (Candellone)

No dramatic cup exploits this season as we lose to Serie A side Torino. We were 2 down within 6min and 3-1 down after 52min but we battled back to level and take it back to extra-time but Belotti struck again and we are out. A decent performance though.

--

cittadella.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Berra, Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras (Gobbo), Gaetano*, Millico (Mastinu), Esposito (Candellone)

Serie B gets underway and we grab a win thanks to a goal from Gaetano in just the 2nd minute. We were the better side throughout though and deserved the win.

--

salernitana.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras (Gobbo), Gaetano, Millico (Mastinu*), Esposito (Candellone)

I am not sure whether this is a good point or not at the minute until I see how the land lies in the division. We were moments away from losing the game but fortunately Mastinu came off the bench to score a last minute equaliser.

--

frosinone.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta (Brosco), D'Orazio, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano*, Millico, Esposito

A fantastic result and performance as we hit 4 past Frosinone. We fell behind but levelled through Gaetano and then midway through the 2nd half we rattled in 3 more goals. Very pleasing!

--

SUMMARY

We have had a decent start to the season as we look to find our feet at this level. We firstly though had the Coppa Italia to deal with and after beating Campobasso we then lost out to Torino in a 7 goal thriller.

So then we moved onto the league campaign and that was kicked off by us beating Cittadella 1-0 and then we drew with Salernitana before we ended the month by thumping Frosinone 4-1 away which is a fantastic result. I have actually just noticed that the teams that finish 3rd and 8th qualify for the promotion play-offs but in a weird rule if the 3rd placed side finish 14pts clear of 4th place they go up automatically which I have never seen before.

I didnt make any more transfer deals.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
GIANLUCA GAETANO
GG.png

--

SERIE B
AUG.png

1608920390427.png

SEPTEMBER

modena.png

Lineup
- Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia (Brosco), Perrotta, D'Orazio, Brescianini*, De Risio, Marras, Rafia, Millico, Esposito

A comfortable victory. We had an early goal disallowed through Esposito before we scored our 2 goals which were good team goals. Rafia came into the side after Gaetano got injured in training and he popped up with the opener.

--

perugia.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta (Silva), Calafiori (D'Orazio), Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Rafia (Lollo), Millico, Esposito*

Ourselves and Perugia both got promoted last season so I was confident of getting a result here and so it proved to be although they gave us a fright and had chances to make it 3-3.

--

livorno.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori (D'Orazio), Brescianini (Maita), De Risio, Marras, Rafia*, Candellone, Esposito

Livorno were also promoted alongside us and we duly dispatched with them on the day which was a fans day at the club. We scored 3 early goals plus Esposito had a goal disallowed to boot. Millico was injured so I took a chance and played Candellone on the LW as a raumdeuter and he scored the opener.

--

cosenza.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Rafia (Sekulov), Candellone (Mastinu), Esposito*

Wonderful.

We go top of the league and make it 5 wins in a row as we thrash Cosenza here 5-1. Esposito got a fabulous hat-trick while Brescianini and Calafiori scored their first goals for the club. To do this without Millico and Gaetano is very impressive!

--

parma.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio (Ranocchia), Marras (Mastinu), Rafia (Lollo), Candellone,

Unbelievable.

Parma should be smashing this league such is the standard of players that they have but we came up against them and easily beat them 3-0 to move 3pts clear of them at the top of the league. Esposito was in amongst the goals again while Brescianini scored another belter however he got injured and will be out for a couple of months.

--

spezia.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori (D'Orazio), Lollo, De Risio (Maita), Marras*, Rafia, Candellone (Mastinu), Esposito

The run continues. Spezia, like Parma, were relegated from Serie A last season but it was ourselves who came out on top when Marras fired in. THey missed a few chances late on but we won through.

--

SUMMARY

I honestly cant believe how well we have taken to life in Serie B. 9 games in we have won 8 and drawn 1 while we are currently on a 7 game win streak. Not only that but we have had some terrific performances most notably in the 3-0 win over Parma and the 5-1 win over Cosenza. We are 3pts clear and despite having 3 players out injured we just keep on going from strength to strength.

Simone Esposito has hit the ground running and has 10 goals while Brescianini (before he got injured) and Rafia have also been terrific.

We just need to keep things going!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
SIMONE ESPOSITO
ESPOSITO.png

--

SERIE B
SEP.png

1608925993369.png

OCTOBER

reggina.png

Lineup
- Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Lollo, De Risio (Maita), Marras*, Rafia (Sekulov), Millico, Esposito (Candellone)

For the 2nd game in a row we get a 1-0 win thanks to a Manuel Marras goal. They had a late equaliser disallowed.

--

monza.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Lollo, De Risio, Marras, Rafia (Gaetano), Millico (Candellone), Esposito*

Monza and Mario Balotelli were put to the sword here however we blew them away with a 4-0 win. Esposito grabbed a hat-trick while Gaetano came off the bench on his return from injury and scored plus he had one disallowed.

--

venezia.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Lollo (Maita), De Risio, Gobbo, Rafia, Millico (Gaetano), Esposito (Candellone)

Our unbeaten start to the season comes to an abrupt end as Venezia beat us 1-0 although we should have won 5-0 such was our dominance. We battered them but couldnt score while they broke away and scored through a former FM favourite - Felice D'Amico.

--

vicenza.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Lollo, De Risio (Ranocchia), Marras*, Gaetano, Millico (Candellone), Esposito

A late 6min hat-trick from Manuel Marras won this match for us. We were struggling tbh the moment they equalised but Marras stepped up to the plate and won us the match single handedly. Millico got injured here and is out for another month.

--

pescara.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori (D'Orazio), Brescianini (Lollo), De Risio, Marras (Mastinu), Gaetano, Candellone, Esposito*

We have a historic rivalry with Pescara and they almost got something here despite us comprehensively playing them off the park. Thankfully Esposito scored a late winner but we could have got 7 or 8 as we hit the woodwork several times.

--

crotone.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Mastinu (Gobbo), Gaetano (Rafia), Candellone, Esposito (Sekulov)

Pathetic.

We were absolutely terrible in this match and got what we deserved - absolutely nothing.

--

SUMMARY

We hit a couple of roadblocks this month as we lost 2 of our league matches but I am still very happy with how things are going. Despite the defeats we did get a couple of very good wins and both Marras and Esposito got hat-tricks during the month. We end the month top of the league by 2pts but perhaps more significantly we are 11pts clear of Virtus Entella who are our next opponents.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL MARRAS
marras.png

--

SERIE B
oct.png

1608931193325.png

NOVEMBER

entella.png

Lineup
- Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Brosco (Silva), Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano*, Candellone (Mastinu), Esposito

We stamp our authority on a promotion place as we thump Virtus Entella here to move 14pts clear of them as they lie in 3rd place. The goal of the game was Brescianini's 30 yard screamer which flew into the top corner.

--

lecce.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras*, Gaetano, Millico (Mastinu), Esposito (Candellone)

Lecce are one of our rivals and tbh although we probably were the better side I will take a draw. We fell behind early on but Marras levelled from 25 yards and although both sides had chances and hit the woodwork it ended in stalemate.

--

ascoli.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta (Brosco), Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano, Millico (Mastinu), Esposito*

This is a disappointing draw considering we conceded the equaliser in stoppage time. We played well enough but its just one of those things really. My right back Celiento is having a shocker just now and I think I will be delving into the transfer market in January for a new one.

--

SUMMARY

Only 3 games this month and while we kicked things off with a great 4-0 away win over Virtus Entella we then laboured to draw our next 2 matches but things are still rosy in our garden. We have a 4pt lead at the top of the table over Parma and providing we can keep our great form going we can go into the January transfer window with a chance to strengthen our side and really push for promotion to the promised land.

When I say things are all rosy in our garden some individuals are really not performing. Celiento has been very poor, Millico has been struggling although he has had injuries while Gaetano's form has dropped off since he returned from injury. I suppose when you have Esposito and Marras smashing in the goals then we can get away with it.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
SEBASTIANO ESPOSITO

SEB.png

--

SERIE B
NOV.png

1608934260329.png

DECEMBER

cremonese.png

Lineup
- Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano, Millico*, Esposito (Candellone)

Cremonese are in relegation trouble and without a manager but we struggled to beat them here but beat them we did.

--

cittadella.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori (D'Orazio), Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano*, Millico, Esposito (Candellone)

Another win and another one where we went quite at our best but just did enough. Celiento was **** again.

--

salernitana.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Celiento (Berra), Brosco (Silva), Perrotta, D'Orazio, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano (Rafia), Millico, Esposito

A strange match. Normally I would be fuming that we drew 2-2 having conceded so late on but after we put in a terrible 1st half performance we were excellent in the 2nd half and Esposito found the net 4 times but only 2 were allowed so I will let my players off.

--

SUMMARY

This month was much the same as last month. We won 2 out of our 3 matches and we are just ticking along nicely. We have a 4pt lead at the top of the table and tbh I am concentrating on going for the title now as I cant see us dropping out of the top 2 so I am now taking automatic promotion for granted.

We need to strengthen next month though in the transfer window!!!!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
VINCENZO MILLICO
MILLICO.png

--

SERIE B
DEC.png

1608970207358.png

JANUARY

frosinone.png

Lineup
- Plizzari, Berra, Gabbia, Perrotta, D'Orazio (Calafiori), Brescianini, De Risio, Marras, Gaetano, Millico (Mastinu*), Esposito (Candellone)

This was quite a dull game for an hour but it came to life when Marras volleyed us in front. They levelled but we got the winner with 5min to go when Mastinu bundled the ball home from close range.

--

4-1.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Berra, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio (Ranocchia), Marras, Gaetano (Lollo), Millico, Esposito*

A good win against a struggling Modena side. All the goals came in the first half with Marras and Esposito both scoring twice each for us. I am a bit disappointed that we couldnt add to our tally in the 2nd half but hey ho.

--

0-1.png

Lineup - Plizzari, Rensch, Gabbia, Perrotta, Calafiori, Brescianini, De Risio, Marras (Mastinu), Gaetano, Millico, Esposito (Candellone)

This was a supporters fan day and we shat the bed. We battered Perugia but couldnt find the net apart from when Esposito had a goal disallowed. They only had 2 shots on goal and managed to score. Very poor.

--

SUMMARY

This was a quiet month regarding games as once again we only had 3 matches. We won 2 and somehow lost one which was a huge blow however in that defeat we created enough chances to win 4 or 5 games so I am not overly worried.

As promised I strengthened the side in January and there was one departure in Mattia Maita who joined Suditrol for £250,000 plus I loaned out Sekulov.

There were 2 additions. Firstly I scoured high and low for a decent right back and struggled tbh but in the end I brought in yet another loan signing in the shape of Devyne Rensch from Ajax. He can also play at CB and he looks like a decent prospect but he is hust here to see us through until the end of the season.
rensch.png

Then on deadline day after Maita had gone I had to find a replacement for him and so I went out and got Moussa Dembele. The 34y/o Belgian international offers us a wealth of experience and will step in when required. I got him on a free transfer so its a win win situation.
DEMBELE.png

I agreed to sign a full back who was transfer listed for £180,000 on a pre-contract. I thought I would be able to buy him permanently for cheaper than the £180k having agreed a contract with us but his club then wanted £450,000 for him which astounded me.

I also received offers for Manuel Marras with the biggest one being £4.4m from Spezia. The board went above my head and accepted the offer but I managed to make them change their minds.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MANUEL MARRAS
MM.png

--

SERIE B
JAN.png