Good read so far mate. I'm doing a Wigan story as well so it will be interesting to compare how we both get on :)

Good read so far mate. I'm doing a Wigan story as well so it will be interesting to compare how we both get on :)

Cheers mate hopefully can emulate your success! In Europe next season just wondering how you solved they home grown status (at club) considering Wigan don't have many? Did you just holiday past it?

Cheers mate hopefully can emulate your success! In Europe next season just wondering how you solved they home grown status (at club) considering Wigan don't have many? Did you just holiday past it?
Register some reserves maybe

Season Summary:
A good first season with Wigan Athletic. I finished a reasonable tenth with a club usually toying above the relegation zone and also defeated Man City to win the League Cup. Chelsea won the league on the last day. Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal make up the final Champions League places. Unfortunately, Reading, Fulham and Sunderland were relegated.

Wigan, Stoke and Wolves will be playing in Europe next season, thanks to Wigan’s League Cup win, Wolves FA Cup win and Stoke finished 5th​ in the league.

Squad:
Everyone played their part in the team’s success, but special praise for Mancienne, Caldwell, Beusejour, Ramis and Hernandez. If these guys were not here we would be in the bottom half of the table.

My player of the season:

Gary Caldwell
He has played every single game in the anchorman position for us. He has done the job very well with tackling and passing in the position. I was happy he got his first goal in the last game of the season!

Actual player of the season:

Ivan Ramis

Top scorers:
Hernandez – 11, Zaha – 9, Kone 8, West – 5, Di Santo – 5, Ademilson – 5

Top assists:
Beausejour – 7

Top average rating:

Ramis – 7.45

Awards:
Footballer of the year: David Silva
Goal of the Season: Bobby Zamora
Manager of the year: Roberto Di Matteo
Player’s player of the year: Carlos Tevez
Player’s young player of the year: Eden Hazard
Top scorer: Olivier Giroud (22 goals)

Wigan team of the season:

View attachment 312355

Team of the season:
View attachment 312356

Around Europe:

Man Utd beat Arsenal to win the Champions League
Man City beat OM to win Euro Cup
Palermo, PSG, FC Bayern, Ajax, FCP and Real Madrid won their domestic leagues

View attachment 312360
Man City screenshot - thought this was funny considering they were first for large periods of the season!

Only 4 out of 38 games City were not first only to come second on the last game of the season haha!

I just used U18 players or reserves which was fine as I didn't have a very big squad and I only had to leave out one player because of it.

Transfer targets:
Back up goalkeeper as Politt is retiring
A right wingback, considering Boyce is old and Stam isn’t that pacy
Striker depending on getting Hernandez or not
Back up DM encase Caldwell gets injured
Players capable of playing in Europa Cup
------

Anyone got any suggestions got £20 million to spend?

Ruffier has been a good keeper for me, Naughton can be good as a right wing back and Abu/dos Santos of Man City and Barca respectively are good DM's and can be purchased quite cheaply. Savic is a good defender if you want higher quality players. Not too sure about strikers though, I loaned Carroll from Liverpool for a couple of season and he did a good job if you want a target man to hit.

Ruffier has been a good keeper for me, Naughton can be good as a right wing back and Abu/dos Santos of Man City and Barca respectively are good DM's and can be purchased quite cheaply. Savic is a good defender if you want higher quality players. Not too sure about strikers though, I loaned Carroll from Liverpool for a couple of season and he did a good job if you want a target man to hit.

Cheers for your input. Looking at Butland for the future plus will increase English players in the team. There are a few DMs available: Javi Garcia (£9mill though), Cattermole, M'Vila, Essien. Striker wise Hernandez doesn't want to come :( so looking at either Dstro (free) or Gary Hooper. Good shout on Naughton, transfer listed so might go for him or Martin Kelly who's listed as well.

Also there is this young Attacking midfielder, Markus Henrikson available for £6mill. Looks good voted youngster of the year in Dutch League, top assists and 5th on average rating. Has anyone signed him before?

Transfers:
In:
Will Hughes £3.6m
Jack Butland £5.25m
Aleseadro Rosi £2.1m
Markus Henrikson £6.75m
Matias Destro free
Lee Cattermole loan
Ben Amos loan
Ryan Tunnicliffe free

Regens bought:
View attachment 312793View attachment 312794 View attachment 312795

Out:

Alcaraz £2m
David Jones £1m
Mike Politt free
Dicko £1m

“A good transfer window with Rosi filling the right wing back role. Cattermole and Amos are backups and will provide competition. Tunnicliffe, Hughes and Butland are for the future along with the regens. Henrikson was young player of the year in the Dutch League, so I quickly snapped him up for a bargain £7mill. Hernandez was out of the price range and didn’t want to come, so got Destro on a free. Hopefully can fill the void left by Hernandez!”

Pre-season:
Wigan 2 v 0 Rangers
Tamworth 0 v 2 Wigan
Oldham 2 v 3 Wigan
Wigan 1 v 2 Anderlecht

It took 12 minutes for Cattermole to get a yellow card in his first match. This game is very realistic!

"A good pre-season with wins against Tamworth, Oldham and Rangers; the only lose coming against Anderlecht - thanks to a fluky goal from the half way line. I gave everyone a chance to play but none of the strikers have really shone. Hopefully someone can replace the feat of Hernandez!"

July & August Summary
Good start in the Europa Cup
Injury crisis at Wigan
Bad form in the league

Wigan 4 v 1 Elfsborg (EC)
Ramis, Zaha (3)

Elfsborg 0 v 0 Wigan (EC)

“A good first win in the Europa Cup.”

Everton 2 v 0 Wigan (L)

“A frustrating game, they scored early on then McCarthy got injured, then West (playing in his position) got injured. Both out for a while!”

Braunschweig 0 v 1 Wigan (EC)
Adryan

Wigan 4 v 2 Braunschweig (EC) AGG 5-2
Jordi Gomez, Destro, Zaha, Caldwell

“A good win with four different scorers, through to the next round. BTW if you’re wondering why Braunschweig are in the Europa Cup it is because they came runners up to Dortmund in the German Cup.”

Tunnicliffe, Jordi Gomez, West and McCarthy all injured!

Arsenal 1 v 1 Wigan (L)
Beausejour

Player of the month:

978.jpg

Zaha
“Mainly for his hattrick against Elfsborg but also his performances and Messi-esque runs.”

League position:
14th​

Also managed to get Aaron Lennon for £5.5million on the final day of the transfer window - bargain

September Summary
Europa Cup group draw
Disaster in the League Cup
Youngsters starting to hit form

Europa Cup Group
Metalist
AZ Alkmaar
KAA Gent

"Looking at the group it will be tough with Metalist and AZ Alkmaar but I think we can go through. At least I haven't got any of the major competitors in the group!"

Wigan 3 v 1 Blackburn (L)
Zaha, Ademilson, Lampard

“A great comeback against newly promoted Blackburn. With a 20 yarder from Zaha, a great diving header by Ademilson and Lampard finishing off a classy passing move.”

Wigan 2 v 2 Metalist (EC)
Adryan (2)

“Awful display – raced into a 1-0 lead then they got two goals plus a player sent off. We scored the second in the 92nd​ minute.”

Wigan 1 v 1 Southampton (L)
Ademilson

Wigan 0 v 1 Bolton (LC)

“Very annoyed at this, both Cattermole and Henrikson got sent off and we played awful. We are already out of the competition we won last season.”

Swansea 0 v 1 Wigan (L)
Boyce

Player of the month:
Frank-Lampard1458.jpg

Lampard
He has been in great form this month and has already got more goals than last season. Could be the difference between finishing in the top half or bottom half of the table.

League position:
10th​

October Summary:
Zaha injured for 3 months
Wigan can’t see games out
Goal fest at Aston Villa

AZ 3 v 2 Wigan (EC)
McCarthy, Ademilson

“Two goals by AZ in the last 5 minutes won them the game.”

Norwich 3 v 2 Wigan (L)
Lennon, Ademilson

“Swear this game hates me – Norwich scored in the 89th​, 90th​ and 92nd​ minute!”

Wigan 2 v 1 Newcastle (L)
Lampard, Lennon

AA Gent 0 v 2 Wigan (EC)
Ademilson, McCarthy

Aston Villa 4 v 3 Wigan (L)
West, Ramis, Henrikson

“Was 3-1 down, then a come back through super subs Ramis and Henrikson got it back to 3-3, unfortunately Bent had to ruin it!”

Player of the month:
url

Ademilson
For his scoring this month.

League position:
12th​

You've been unlucky with some results this month, but you have some quality players so you should be up and around the European places again this season.

You've been unlucky with some results this month, but you have some quality players so you should be up and around the European places again this season.

Cheers mate! Hopefully form can pick up. How many seasons you into yours?