The Laffles 4-5-1. Inspired By Villas-Boas..

laffles

Reaction score
With Porto being my Second team I was truly delighted with the success of Andre Villas-Boas.

Watching a team Attack and Press with such fluidity while never really looking suspect at the back was phenominal.

As such I decided to create a tactic INSPIRED by Villas-Boas and Porto (This is not an Emulation)

Its a 4-5-1, 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-3-3 however you see it that relies on a pressing, attacking, possession based game when going forwards and looks to stick players behind the ball when in defence.

The Back four look to stay behind the ball, The full backs WILL go forwards, but only if your struggling to break through. They won't take unnescessary risks. Stopper/Cover combo in the centre gives great balance.

In the Middle we have a staggered midfield partnership. The Defensive Mid Sits deeper and protects the Backline, the Left Mid sits and sprays passes and is your primary playmaker. The Right Mid takes the role of Lampard under Mourinho. A classic Box-to-Box Mid who makes charging runs into the box and at times acts as a second striker.

With the front 3 we have to wingers who cut inside and support one main forward. The wingers aren't afraid to get balls into the box on to the head of the striker. The front 3 look to push the oppositions backline back and almost prevent the opposition using a high D-line.

The tactic is well balanced, yet attacking and has served me well.

View attachment 179328

Its Based around my traditional fluid, attacking philosophy, with players instructed to Stand off More so as to be defensively sound.

View attachment 179326

MATCH PREP, OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS AND PITCH SIZE

Set Pre-Season Match Prep to DEFENSIVE POSITIONING on Max
Set During Season Match Prep to ATTACKING MOVEMENT on Medium

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONSOppostion Playmaker- Tight Marking and Weaker Foot
Fast Winger (16 Paceand Accel) Closing Down Always and Weaker Foot if one footed
Target Man- Tight Marking and Weaker Foot.

Pitch Size to Max

SOME RESULTS (Tested with Watford Predicted 18th)

View attachment 179327View attachment 179329View attachment 179330View attachment 179332View attachment 179331View attachment 179333

So yeah, predicted 18th, Championship Won by miles, Great Goals scored, Very Few conceded.

PLAYER REQUIREMENTS:

Goalkeeper- Best You've got

DL/DR - Marking, Pace, Crossing, Anticipation
DC- Tackling, Marking, Heading, Pace
DMC- Positioning, Decisions, Tackling, Passing
MCL- Passing, Creativity, Decisions, First Touch
MCR- Finishing, Passing, Long Shots, Decisions
LW/RW- Finishing, Crossing, Pace, Dribbling
ST- Finishing, Composure, Heading, Jumping.

Nuff Said.

Test and enjoy..

THE LINK (that I forgot to put up when creating the thread :p)

View attachment 179375

Last edited:
You could have just posted the league table and then "nuff said", fantastic results :O

Noticed that in the pics of league games you posted, you always have less possession at home, but more away. Saying that, I'm not one of these people that masturbates over possession, so it doesn't bother me!

You could have just posted the league table and then "nuff said", fantastic results :O

Noticed that in the pics of league games you posted, you always have less possession at home, but more away. Saying that, I'm not one of these people that masturbates over possession, so it doesn't bother me!

It'll give good possession, these were against the better teams in the league with a very average Watford team. Used it with Chelsea, Porto and Udinese with Possession Averaging around 67%

Whem i load the tactic the targetman was the DM? is this correct?

laffes you are from Portugal? can you answer to my pm? ty

Set Pre-Season Match Prep to DEFENSIVE POSITIONING on Max
Set During Season Match Prep to ATTACKING MOVEMENT on Medium

Looks really good. My only concern(or question) is the match preparation. Is there any reason why you use a special focus area in pre season that is only temporary and doesn't stack up ( like team blend does) or are you saying that you use this the day before each preseason match and then use none or team blend during the the rest of the days in preseason ?

Last edited:
Looks really good. My only concern(or question) is the match preparation. Is there any reason why you use a special focus area in pre season that is only temporary and doesn't stack up ( like team blend does) or are you saying that you use this the day before each preseason match and then use none or team blend during the the rest of the days in preseason ?

No Real Reason, It's just how I did it lol. It gave me the best results so yeah :)

Hello mate, I'm also working on similar like what your calling 'inspired by villas-boas' and then this thread appear :D
I'll follow this thread and also make your tactic to be reference.

I'm having trouble making the targetman/playmakers 'stay selected' with this tactic. If I change the player that is playing in the MCL slot, then they are no longer selected as a playmaker. Is there any way to select the position rather than the individual player, so that whoever is selected is automatically the playmaker/targetman?

I'm having trouble making the targetman/playmakers 'stay selected' with this tactic. If I change the player that is playing in the MCL slot, then they are no longer selected as a playmaker. Is there any way to select the position rather than the individual player, so that whoever is selected is automatically the playmaker/targetman?

Select the MCL position when nobody is in that position, I think.

Laffles I am about to try your tactic with Arsenal because the players seem to fit the formation. I am considering changing the advance playmakers on the wings to inside forwards - attack. Would the change cause the tactic to play any different in terms of possession and defensive teamwork. I am also going to use team blend during pre season until the team becomes fluid with the formation and then I will use defense positioning during the season. The reason for this is because Arsenal has a very good attack but a weak defense (just like the Arsenal in real life). On the odd occasion I might use attacking movement for home game against weaker teams. Do you think this would a good idea or not

I also had a look at the defensive line which was set to deep and you have stand off on your closing down instructions. I have never played with a deep defensive line or have stand off more on my team instructions. I was have read other tactical gurus say that by having the defensive line deep and stand off more will allow the opposition to play in front of your defense, which gives them too much time on the ball. My question is would the tactic loose its structure if I was to push the defensive line up to normal (about 14 notches on slider)

I am a keen admirer of the Duo and love there work and results. Ill try this tactic from a 5th place Chelsea squad and I might post what happens.

If you put the width into 'narrow' it will give you a better defense.. 'Wide' width is pretty bad for your defense if you use the 'stand-off more' closing down. CMIIW

Seeing your results with Watford , I thought I would give this tactic a try with Scotland.

My first game was against Ireland , one I was expecting to lose.

View attachment 180291

I was delighted at the win :

View attachment 180292

Next up was Portugal away. I was just hoping to keep the scoreline to a minimum or even get a draw.

View attachment 180293

I could not believe it :

View attachment 180294

After only 2 games with this tactic , its looks a great one already :D