The Leeds United legacy.The road from the Fallen Giants to the Mighty Whites

• Thread starter Thread starter Bjelkier
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 9K
April.The final month of the season.Make or break time.And what a month it turn out to be.After drawing against the posh boys Leeds traveled to Leicester for the Championship Final.It was a poor display from the Whites from my point of view but luckily we ended up winning after a great play by the skipper who's cross left Pugh with only a formality to comply.

View attachment 214462
2 days later Leeds put local rivals Doncaster in their place with a 3-1 win and then went to Wembley for a return match against Everton in the FA Cup Semi Final.
View attachment 214468
With another win Leeds booked a place in the final against Aston Villa.3 days later the Whites still celebrating apparently,found themselves 2 goal down in the 53rd min.Pushed by their manager they started a come back race and after an hour newly entered McCormack pulled one back.8 min later Campbell equalized and G.Fernandez brought the points home with 9 min to go.
View attachment 214472
Another Yorkshire rival came 4 days later in hope of a good result.And it all seemed to go as plan for Hull only for academy product Tom Lee(d)s to score 37 sec after the 3 min of injury time expired
View attachment 214483
Another 4 days and Leeds took advantage of the Foxes draw against Doncaster to make it official.They were cowned Championship winners after a 2-0 win against rivals Milwall. The Whites goals from their 2 argentinians brought in January. There was a bad news though.Fraizer Campbell's injury sustained in the 28 min was serious so he will miss the FA Cup Final.
The final match of the season against Birmingham was a chance for the fringe players and the youngsters to make an impression. Becchio's brace helped secure a 3-2 win at St.Andrew's to keep morale high for the Final.
Another Wembley visit ,another win and the third trophy of the year.
View attachment 214492
I put the final table,last month fixtures,some financial information and all the transfers for my first season.
View attachment 214502
Player of the Month : Gaston Fernandez(again).Special mention to Tom Lees for his 94 min winner against Hull who bassically brought the Championship trophy to ER.
Next time a look at the transfer period for next season and the Olympics.

My first season ended with a perfect record as trophies goes.One might think that my team does not need to much adding.I disagree.I think too many games were won by chance or individuals moments.So immediately after winning the Championship i started working on my next season team.There are a lot of ins and a lot of outs.I'm gonna take it in order.
Goalkeepers : Rachubka was already sold and i decided to sell Lonergan too.Instead i brought 2 goalkeepers that i think are better then both.First choice Sergio Asenjo from Atletico Madrid.It took a long while to make this deal as he wasn't interested in Leeds.Only after he was released by Atleti he finally agreed to come.My second choice was Joe Lewis who joined Leeds after his contract at Peterborough expired.
Rightbacks : with Hinkel going to Fener,i released Parnaby and signed Matias Ezequiel Schelotto.He is a risk as he is more of a right winger but hopefully his speed will make the difference.My second choice rb was Nathaniel Clyne but unexplicabilly he decided to join a Championship club.Then Kyle Walker was offered for a good price but he ended up going to Blackburn.At this moment i started to panic a little as the seaon was close and i was running out of options.So i first went for Jonathan from Inter who i signed on loan and then signed Romario from Vitoria.It wasn't my first try to sign him but the previous deals were put on hold because of the work permit.So now i have 3 players competing for a place on the right
In the middle of the defence i brought Santacroce from Napoli while on the left my attempts to sign Warnock from Aston Villa were put on hold because i could't find a buyer for Aldrete.
The midfield area suffered the most changes.Howson who was voted Best Player by the supporters was the only one who kept his place.He and previously bought Tiago Gomes were joined by former academy graduate Fabian Delph bought from Villa for 3.9 mil pounds,Tom Cairney,a 725 K buy from Hull,Andrea Bertolacci(Roma),Shelvey(Liverpool-loan) and a 16 year old midfielder Jerome Rouselle bought from Monaco.
Antonio Candreva(Udinese) and Clement Grenier(Olympique Lyon) are gonna battle for a starting spot as a playmaker(atacking midfielder).
In front Gaston Fernandez is join by Diego Costa(Atletico Madrid),Alberto Paloschi(Chievo) and previously purchased Carlos Fierro(Chivas).
I also signed some youngsters recommended to me by my scout but they are for the future so i am not gonna insist on them.
Also Tiago Heleno(without work permit) and Viatri(Boca) have deals signed with Leeds but they join the club in January when they contracts with thir current clubs expire.
I spended 11.5 mil pounds in this transfer window but i generated 16 mil pound from selling players.All my deals,in and out,were made with the hole sum payd upfront.I am overall pleased with the quantity and quality in my team.All I have to do is to give them playing time together to gel with each other.
View attachment 215191
While working hard on my transfers i got a news that Great Britains Under 23 team is looking for a manager.I applied for the job and the FA appointed me.I qualified from a group with Ivory Coast,Mexico and New Zeeland with an 11 goals for and 0 against record.Next I trashed Japan 4-0,won the semi final 2-0 against Guardiola's Spain after a Pique own goal and a Rooney penalty to set up a final against Brazil that i ended up winning 1-0 after a wonder strike by Leeds own Fab Delph(3rd place in Goal of the tournament while Welbeck won 1st place).

I am back with the 2012-2013 season in a few words.I have a new chairman in the person of Yvonne Allen and i brought some new staff so now i have at least 4 stars in every training category.
After an OK pre season I started the season on Wembley against current PL champions Man City.We went 1 down soon after kick off but helped by Srna's dismissal we turn the game around thanks to a great goal by the capt.First trophy of the season.
View attachment 228454
PL season went really from there and the next meeting with the champions turned out to be a real shock.
View attachment 228459
It was Candreva's match and his awesome display trigger a lot of interest from top european teams.I soon accepted a 10 mil pounds offer for him from Inter.He left in january but it didn't affect the team too much as i just put G.Fernandez in an AM position and gave new boy Lucas Viatri a starting position up front along side Diego Costa.
It was a great season but they were some things that made me think carefully when planning for next season.
First my team played excellent against the big teams in the PL but against the smaller teams was awful.
Second I had discipline problems as a lot of my players got red carded,with Bertolacci the main villain.
Third my strikers lack consistency : 1 good game,at least 3 really bad.
Fourth my plan to retrain Schelotto to be a right back backfired.And to make things worst he refused to sign for Montpellier, a deal that would have seen Bocaly join Leeds for only 1 mil pounds and Schelotto.Things were bad on the other side of the defense too,where Aldrete and White were awful.
But to bring you back at the PL.Most parts of the season we were in the first 4.Man Utd seemed to win but they had a poor finish that brought Leeds, with 1 game in hand, 3 points apart before the last game of the season.The last game that turned out to be the final of the PL.A direct confrontation on OT between fierce rivals Leeds and Man Utd.But as i said we had a game in hand.Because of a better goal advantage we needed to win on OT regardless of the result from the game in hand.So i took a chance and fielded a very young team against Wigan, knowing that i only needed not to loose that game in order to still challenge Man utd for the title in the last game.That gave me the opportunity to rest most of my regular players for the final confrontation.I manage to draw thanks to a Rousselle goal and my team was ready for the final showdown.
The game started brightly for us as Viatri scored from a corner in the 2nd min.But seemed to be the last offensive play from our part as Man Utd took control of the game.At half time I change to a more defensive formation and by the end of the game this is how Leeds looked:
View attachment 228475
Helped by a great defensive display Leeds won the first PL title since 1992 and how sweet it is to win it on OT against your fiercest rivals.
View attachment 228477
View attachment 228478I also won League Cup after a final against Liverpool and the FA Cup after a thrilling encounter against Newcastle
View attachment 228479
And for the last competition my first european competition.After surviving group stage against Leverkusen,Metalist and Partizan the 1st knockout stage put me up against the italian giants Milan.1st leg was great with Viatri scoring the only goal in Italy.But nothing could have announced what happened next on Elland Road with Paloschi determined to make a point to his former employer:
View attachment 228484
Next stop was Sporting and they won the first leg on ER 1-0.And the 2nd leg didn't started to well either as they were 1 up early in the game after a pen.G.Fernandez equalised in the 22nd min and Fierro brought Leeds back in the game in the 63 min.But 9 min later Sporting equalised only for Paloschi to score in the 79 min and put Leeds through.Next stop it was a very familiar face as I endep up playing 6 times against Liverpool in various competitions this season.First match was on Anfield and it ended 2-1 for me after Kelly scored a 90min goal for them.And what an important goal turned out to be as the return leg was full of drama. They were 2 goals and 1 man up in the 85 min when Viatri scored to take the game in extra time.I had lost Santacroce to injury and his replacement Kisnorbo was having a really poor game.But fortunately for me Viatri completed his brace in the 118 min and put Leeds through to the semifinal
View attachment 228489
There we met Rennes and this time there was no drama.A 4-2 win on aggregate and Valencia awaited in the final.
A poor final really with 2 penalties missed and a great goal by Diego Costa that put Leeds back on the european map.
View attachment 228490

This is the season as fixtures goes
View attachment 228491

Back