• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 7K

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score

AITOR HERRERA IS BACK!!!!!!
(and so is Klippybo lol)

Hello everyone, I am Klippybo and this is my first foray into football manager for a couple of years and also therefor my first attempt at a story for a few years (eek). Hopefully some of my old FMbase pals are still here to have a read and hopefully I will pick up a few more along the way.

The reason for the disappearing act? My laptop died and I never got round to buying a new one but my new girlfriend so kindly got me a copy of FM17 for Xmas and has told me I can use her laptop - she really doesn't know what she has let herself in for!!!!! She also got me tickets to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Hyde Park in July so I have to be good until then so the story should keep going for a while!!!

This story will be about the infamous Aitor Herrera - one of the best regens ever - managing his beloved Athletic Bilbao in a quest to match what he did as a player and find his true successor at the club.

----

ABOUT THE PLAYER/WRITER - KLIPPYBO

Played Football Manager/Championship Manager since 1994 right up until FM15 which I found far too easy which put me off the game a bit. I have been doing online stories since FM12 (I think) and have had stories with Aberdeen, Newcastle (my beloved), Atalanta, Castel di Sangro and Hartlepool amongst others as well as inventing the Champions League Challenge with my good friend Stonecold. All of my stories tend to last at least 10 seasons so I am not one for chopping and changing.

However it was my first story with Athletic Bilbao that really took off which was mainly due to the fact that I got the amazing regen, Aitor Herrera, in the first youth intake at the age of 15. He was still in my first team at the age of 40 and playing for Spain and had won and accomplished everything!!!!

---

ABOUT AITOR HERRERA

As mentioned above Aitor was my best ever regen and was a little celebrity in the FM world. He even appeared on the Sky Sports News website in the Athletic Bilbao squad list for some reason at one point. He played over 1000 games for me at Bilbao in the AMC position mainly and scored hundreds of goals, winning every individual and team trophy there is to win. When the story ended I think he was 40, player/coach, and still in the Spanish national side!

---

Right so I am away to pick up my daughter and will load the game up in anger when I return in an hour and will do my first posts with the game etc. I should add that I haven't even loaded a save up other than to check that my player faces and kits etc have worked. Hopefully Aitor and I can discover our old magic together in this new FM17 World!!!!

Good Luck Mate. Always enjoyed your other stories and am sure this will be just as enjoyable. It's always something I'm looking to do, find a regen that becomes a total legend, then use him as a main character in a story. Still trying............lol. :D

Good luck. I was wondering the other day where you have been lol. Welcome back.

Great to see u back again. I remember reading your old stories and watching the live streams, awesome times

Good luck and refreshing to see something different to fm guy takes over Real Madrid/Barcelona etc

ATHLETIC BILBAO - THE CLUB

Athletic are one of the 3 founding members of the Primera Division and have also never been relegated from the top division which is quite impressive. It is even more impressive considering that they can only sign players who are from the Basque regions in Spain and France which of course will make this FM game a real challenge!!!!

So basically I can only sign Basque players such as Ander Herrera, Javi Martinez, Cesar Azpilicueta, Inigo Martinez and Antoine Griezmann while relying on my youth team to produce the stars of the future.

--

THE STADIUM

The "new" San Mames stadium was opened in 2013 and has a capacity of 53,289.

--

OTHER FACTS

Founded : 1899
Nickname : Los Leones (The Lions)
La Liga Winners : 8 times - 1929-30, 1930-31, 1933-34, 1935-36, 1942-43, 1955-56, 1982-83, 1983-84
Copa del Rey Winners : 23 times - 1903, 1904, 1910, 1911, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1921, 1923, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1943, 1944, 1944-45, 1949-50, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1969, 1972-73, 1983-84
Record Goalscorer - Telmo Zarra (367)
Record Appearances - Jose Angel Iribar (614)
Youngest Player and Goalscorer - Iker Muniain
Most Expensive Signing - £12m to Real Betis for Roberto Rios in 1997
Most Expensive Player Sold - £40m from Bayern Munich for Javi Martinez in 2012

--

DID YOU KNOW?

The "Pichichi Trophy", awarded to the top scorer in the top division in Spain is named after the former Athletic striker - Rafael "Pichichi" Moreno

The "Zarra Trophy" is named after Athletic's record scorer, Telmo Zarra, and is awarded to the top scoring Spaniard in the top division.

Former Athletic managers include - Javier Clemente, Howard Kendall, Jupp Heynckes, Luis Fernandez and Marcelo Bielsa

****, so happy to see you and Aitor back. It's been way too long...

Can someone please help me and tell me how I take a screenshot and post it on the thread - I have forgotten! lol

Didnt believe you when you said you were back on FM but i guess there's the proof

She also got me tickets to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Hyde Park in July

Christ! Good luck trying to match or come close to that.

Can someone please help me and tell me how I take a screenshot and post it on the thread - I have forgotten! lol

Old age is a ***** huh! I'll PM you

640x360_241957245-athletic-sevilla-24-09-20161.jpg

PRE-SEASON & AUGUST

Well having taken the best part of 2 years out of the game I was immediately shown the new depths at which I can manage the club. Sports Scientists? Data Analysts? Dear me!! What attributes are best I wonder but hey ho I am going to wing it.

What I did do was jiggle about some of the backroom staff, appoint a new assistant manager and made the whole club play to the same philosophy - whether that will be foolish or not time will tell.

As for transfers - well there were none. I was given £8m but because of the signing policy there wasn't much out there. Stephane Ruffier was interested but valued at £10m so that wasn't happening and I failed to negotiate a deal with the Mexican Jonathan Espericueta from Tigres.

--

THE SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS

My first choice will be the veteran Gorka Iraizoz. Kepa is worth £3.5m and is only 21 but I wanted to loan him out but there were no takers. Iago Herrerin is there to make up the numbers. Unkess Kepa develops quick I need a new keeper quickly - Stephane Ruffier of Saint-Etienne would fit the bill for a few years until I develop one.

View attachment 112536
Iraizoz

DEFENDERS

I have 2 top notch centre halves in Mikel San Jose and the Frenchman Aymeric Laporte. Laporte is one of the best defenders in Europe and will be a cornerstone of my side for the future. Oscar De Marcos is a good attacking full back but at left back it is between Balenziaga and Lekue. Balenziaga will get the nod at the start but I will see how he performs. Etxeita is a decent back up for CB but the other defenders are squad fillers and who can do a job and that's it.

View attachment 112535View attachment 112534
Laporte - San Jose

MIDFIELDERS

We are strong here. I am going to go with a 4-2-3-1 wide formation for the start and I have the perfect personnel for it. The central two will be Benat and Iturraspe. Benat will be the creative force while Iturraspe will be slightly more defensive. My RW will be the talented Inaki Williams. He has burst on to the scene since my last FM days and I am looking forward to seeing him develop. He can also play all over the midfield and forward areas.

On the LW will be Iker Muniain who I managed to get to sign a new contract extension (with a £10m drop to £28m in his release clause - eek!!!). He is quick, can finish and is a great dribbler so hopefully along with the super quick Williams they will run opposition full backs ragged. In the AMC position will be Raul Garcia. He has good solid stats in everything and will be relied on to get a load of goals.

Failing to get into the side is Markel Susaeta who is a talented RW valued at £10m. He will still get plenty of game time though. Ager Aketxe looks a decent prospect and hopefully will develop into a decent player while the rest of the midfielders are squad fillers really.

View attachment 112533View attachment 112532View attachment 112531
Benat - Iturraspe - Raul Garcia

View attachment 112530View attachment 112529
Williams - Muniain

FORWARDS

Bit cheeky using the plural there as I only have 1 out and out forward and that is 35y/o Aritz Aduriz. Quite simply he has to score and stay fit until I can either develop one or somehow sign Griezmann!!! I did promote 18y/o Asier Villalibre into the first team for his backup and we shall see how he gets on but otherwise its all on Aduriz!!!

View attachment 112528
Aduriz

--

OVER TO AITOR................

v

Athletic Bilbao 2 (Iturraspe 1, Susaeta 72)
Real Betis 1 (Musonda 42)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Eraso), Susaeta, Williams (Aketze), Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

1st game as manager, 1st win and a 1st goal in the 1st minute as Iturraspe scored from a corner. Musonda equalised with a free kick but the game changed when they had a man sent-off. The winner came when Balenziaga crossed to the far post and Susaeta crashed a header in off the bar. This was Iraizoz's 300th league game for the club.

----

v

Sevilla 3 (Nasri 22, Vazquez 61, 83)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Muniain 2, Villalibre 86)

Lineup
- Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat (Rico), Susaeta, Williams (Aketze), Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

We got off to a perfect start here once again but in the end it wasn't to be as 2 great strikes from Franco Vazquez proved to be our undoing. Villalibre came off the bench and pulled 1 back (and missed 2 other chances) but I am not too angry - Sevilla away was always going to be difficult.

---

So pre-season and August is done. I am content with how things have gone. The players are learning a new playing style and formation and after all so am I!!! In the Europa League we have been drawn against FC Kobenhavn, Genk and Zorya - a group we should progress from.

As for the transfer window, it was pretty quiet in Spain. Valencia signed Capa from Eibar for £5.75m (he is actually Basque so I could have signed him) and that was about it!!!!

Last edited:
640x360_21233532032.jpg

SEPTEMBER

v

Athletic Bilbao 2 (Susaeta 33, 46)
Osasuna 0

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue (Boveda), Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta*, Williams, Muniain (Sabin), Aduriz (Villalibre)

Osasuna are one of our fiercest rivals and we won it thanks to two fine Susaeta goals - the first one was a great finish on the volley. We were never troubled here truth be told.

--

v
UEFA Europa League Group A
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aketxe 40, Benat 45pen, Aduriz 80)
KRC Genk 2 (Karelis 73, Bailey 84)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita (Elustondo), Laporte, Boveda, Iturraspe (Eraso), Benat, Susaeta, Aketxe, Sabin, Villalibre (Aduriz)

I rested a few players here and we really should have been out of sight by half-time as Benat also missed a penalty just before he scored one. A good start to the group though.

--

v

Espanyol 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aduriz 18, 52, 58)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue, Iturraspe, Benat (Raul Garcia), Susaeta (Aketxe), Williams, Muniain, Aduriz*

This was a fantastic result. Aduriz put us ahead before they had a man sent-off shortly after. It wasn't all one way traffic though as they hit the post twice before Aduriz scored his 2nd. Inaki Williams assisted 2 of his goals but Benat picked up a knock and will be out for 3 weeks although Raul Garcia is back to fitness now thankfully.

--

v

Granada 1 (Barral 2)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Iturraspe 56)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose*, Laporte, Lekue (Boveda), Iturraspe, Raul Garcia (Etxeita), Susaeta (Aketxe), Williams, Muniain, Aduriz

Granada are above us in the table and are unbeaten so a point away from home isn't too bad. We didn't create much though which is a worry.

--

v

Athletic Bilbao 4 (San Jose 7, 38pen, Laporte 15, Susaeta 82)
Malaga 0

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, Etxeita (Elustondo), Laporte, Lekue, San Jose (Eraso), Raul Garcia*, Susaeta, Williams (Aketxe), Muniain, Aduriz

Almost a perfect day at the office here. San Jose was moved into midfield and he scored twice while Raul Garcia got 3 assists. Unfortunately Williams picked up an injury and will be out for a month.

--

v
FC Kobenhavn 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Villalibre 47, 85, Susaeta 59)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita (Elustondo), Laporte*, Lekue (Balenziaga), San Jose (Iturraspe), Raul Garcia, Susaeta, Aketxe, Muniain, Villalibre

Once again I rested a few players and it didn't cause us too much problems. Villalibre's 1st goal was truly stunning as he fired in first time from an angle from 20 yards. San Jose missed a penalty in the first half.

--

SUMMARY

6 games, 5 wins and 1 draw - a very good month. Defensively I see a few errors happening for instance all too often we let an opposition forward get in behind our back line but going forward we are looking good. Individually Laporte has been excellent, Lekue has come in and performed well while San Jose and Villalibre have impressed too.

Next month wont be so rosy though as we have 3 away games in a row before we come up against Real Madrid and Barcelona!!!! We end the month in 5th place - level with Barcelona but 5pts behind Real Madrid at the top.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
AYMERIC LAPORTE

--

(would post screenshots of Laporte and the league table but for some reason the thing isn't working like last night!!!)

--

Last edited:
great to see you back! your stories are always ones I look out for!

640x360_23220119_ma_6117.jpg

OCTOBER

V
Sporting Gijon 3 (Ndi 4, 25, Viguera 81)
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Aduriz 7, 50, 70, 80, Muniain 15)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Etxeita), Lekue, Iturraspe, Raul Garcia (Elustondo), Susaeta, Aketxe (Sabin), Muniain, Aduriz*

Super Aduriz!!!! He scored 4 goals here - 2 were brilliant team moves. The Aitor Herrera way of playing is an attacking creative mode of football and its all on show when we play as goals are coming aplenty. That being said - we are conceding far too many!

--

v
Leganes 0
Athletic Bilbao 3 (San Jose 37pen, Villalibre 77, Muniain 90)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lukue (Balenziaga), Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta (Aketxe), Raul Garcia, Muniain*, Aduriz (Villalibre)

For the reader this is the 1st time I have been watching key highlights of games instead of the old style text that I used for the last 20 years lol and what came across was crazy. Leganes shot from 40 yards every highlight, Villalibre's goal came when the keeper picked up the ball and blatantly rolled it out to him 20 yards out and Muniain's goal was an absolute screamer as he scored from an angle 25 yards out.

--

65130.png
v
FC Zorya Luhansk 0
Athletic Bilbao 5 (Aketxe 15, 66, Susaeta 41, 81, Villalibre 52)

Lineup - Kepa, De Marcos, Etxeita, Elustondo (Yeray), Balenziaga, Iturraspe, Benat, Susaeta*, Aketxe, Sabin (Seguin), Villalibre (Vicente)

In came the backups and in went the goals as we smashed in 5 here. Susaeta was amazing as he scored 2 and assisted 2.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (San Jose 25pen, Raul Garcia 45, Aduriz 64)
Real Madrid 5 (Ronaldo 7, 15, 78, Modric 39, Benzema 52)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue, Iturraspe (Etxeita), Benat (Eraso), Susaeta (Aketxe), Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

Real Madrid have a 100% record and are a few levels above us but we gave them a good match here. As ever it was our defence that was the problem as we conceded 5 but we managed to score 3 against one of the top teams in the world!

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Raul Garcia 35, Aduriz 74)
Celta Vigo 1 (Guidetti 24)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue, Iturraspe (Eraso), Benat (Williams), Susaeta, Raul Garcia*, Muniain, Aduriz (Villalibre)

A solid victory here - Raul Garcia's goal was special as he thundered one in from 25 yards, he also assisted the winner.

--

v
Barcelona 4 (Messi 3, Suarez 9, 27, 61)
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Williams 77)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Lekue (Balenziaga), Iturraspe, Benat (Aketxe), Susaeta (Williams), Raul Garcia (Williams), Muniain, Aduriz

We just didn't turn up here and performed horribly. Luis Suarez could have had 8 or 9 tbh. Hmmmmm.

--

SUMMARY

I suppose I have got to be happy with the month as apart from the matches against the big two we won every match but the fact we conceded 9 goals in those 2 defeats is majorly concerning. That being said we are sitting pretty in both the league and in Europe so I am fairly content!

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN

th

--

LA LIGA TOP 6
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]POS
[/TD]
[TD]TEAM
[/TD]
[TD]P
[/TD]
[TD]W
[/TD]
[TD]D
[/TD]
[TD]L
[/TD]
[TD]F
[/TD]
[TD]A
[/TD]
[TD]GD
[/TD]
[TD]PTS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]Real Madrid
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]0
[/TD]
[TD]0
[/TD]
[TD]41
[/TD]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[TD]+31
[/TD]
[TD]33
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]Barcelona
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]26
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]+21
[/TD]
[TD]26[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]Valencia
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]+10[/TD]
[TD]25
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]Athletic Bilbao
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]28
[/TD]
[TD]18
[/TD]
[TD]+10
[/TD]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]Atletico Madrid
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]+8[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]Las Palmas
[/TD]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]+1[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I FORGOT TO SAVE THE GAME LAST NIGHT AND HAD TO REPLAY THE BARCA GAME. I WENT ON HOLIDAY AND STILL LOST 4-1. I HAVE CHANGED THE GAME STATS ETC ACCORDINGLY. VALENCIA WERE INITIALLY 2ND BUT ****** UP AND ARE NOW 3RD. ATLETICO WON INSTEAD OF LOST AND LAS PALMAS DREW INSTEAD OF WON.

Last edited:
Off to a decent start possibly make the champions league this season Kutgw

640x360_11213333depor-at.bilbao_4.jpg

NOVEMBER

v
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Villalibre 14, Boveda 29, Benat 33pen)
FC Zorya Luhansk 1 (Luchkevyich 15)

Lineup - Kepa. Boveda*, Etxeita, Elustondo (Yeray), Balenziaga, Iturraspe (Vesga), Benat (Eraso), Susaeta, Aketxe, Sabin, Villalibre

The backups did a good job here and Villalibre is looking the part when given a chance which is much needed as he has 6 goals in 9 games. This win ensures that we qualify for the knockout stages too.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 1 (Eraso 85)
Deportivo La Coruna 1 (Moreno 67)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Boveda (Balenziaga), Iturraspe (Eraso), Benat (Aketxe), Susaeta, Raul Garcia, Muniain, Aduriz

This wasn't good enough. We were pretty shocking here and our only notable attempt at goal was Eraso's screamer of an equaliser.

--

v
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Iturraspe 1, Susaeta 84)
Villarreal 1 (Bruno 9)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte, Balenziaga, Iturraspe*, Benat, Williams (Susaeta), Raul Garcia, Muniain (Aketxe), Aduriz

This was a bit like the last game but this time Susaeta came up with a bit of magic to win us the match. Surprisingly, Villarreal are in a relegation position.

--

v
KRC Genk 2 (Karelis 10, Samatta 13)
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Sabin 25, Susaeta 27)

Lineup - Kepa, Boveda (Lekue), Etxeita, Elustondo, Balenziaga, Eraso, Vesga, Susaeta, Aketxe (Raul Garcia), Sabin, Villalibre (Aduriz)

This game wasn't going well at all until they had a man sent-off and then we quickly managed to get on level terms and that was pretty much it. This draw ruins our 100% record in the group though.

--

v
Eibar 1 (Kike 7)
Athletic Bilbao 3 (Aduriz 33, 34, 88)

Lineup - Iraizoz, De Marcos, San Jose, Laporte (Etxeita), Lekue, Iturraspe, Benat, Williams, Raul Garcia, Muniain (Susaeta), Aduriz*

Eibar is another team from the Basque region so this was a bit of a derby match which we deservedly won thanks to Aduriz's wonderful hat-trick.

--

v
Copa del Rey 4th Round 1st Leg
Lleida 0
Athletic Bilbao 2 (Aketxe 39, Susaeta 46)

Lineup - Kepa, Boveda, Etxeita (Yeray), Elustondo, Balenziaga, Eraso, Vesga, Susaeta, Aketxe*, Sabin (Seguin), Villalibre (Vicente)

--

SUMMARY

Any month where you are unbeaten is a good month as we did pretty well. In the league we finish the month in 3rd place while my backup players did a fine job in both of the cups - lets hope it continues. Our first game next month however is the big derby against Real Sociedad.

One bit of club news is that the board have agreed to improve both the youth and training facilities which is vital for the club in order for me to develop future stars.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MARKEL SUSAETA

--

LA LIGA
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]POS
[/TD]
[TD]TEAM
[/TD]
[TD]P