The life of a football manager - The career of Desmond Pugh

Reaction score
FOREWORD
Sir Alex Ferguson, Bill Shankley, Howard Kendall, Arsene Wenger. All successful, all have a huge trophy collection, all amassed a huge amount of personal honours in their careers. The difference with their stories and mine is you know what they have achieved.

This is the story of my managerial career with various highs and lows. Am i one of the greats or just another managerial journeyman?.

In this story you will see the triumphs and tribulations as a football manager and all the personal struggles within my chaotic life.

I would like to thank my wife Susan as well as my two beautiful children Jack and Alice who have supported me and had faith in my ability even when others haven't. My parents for showing me the true morals in a person whether that be within football or in the wider world of life.

Home truths, personal struggles and personal accolades? All is revealed as i aim to chase the dream and not the competition

CHAPTER ONE - ST.GEORGES DAY.

Football. To some a game, to others a religion. To me everything.

Having not been good enough to play football at any reasonable level i was always found watching football. Whether that be English, Scottish, European or pan continental i was always watching, studying football and wanting to be a part of it. It was my then girlfriend Susan who had suggested coaching and even got me the forms to apply for the courses. Without thinking i applied and took my "National A-Licence". It was some what a coincidence that on St. Georges Day at St. Georges park i achieved my first milestone in my career. I achieved my "A-Licence" and could in theory manage a football club. The question was where, who, when. My wings could fly anywhere in the country as Susan worked with a steel company who i always said "had more bases then the soddin' army." I was known around the country as a keen football enthusiast but with no experience of being in the dugout who would take the plunge.

I lived in Birmingham so my knowledge of the football played within the Midlands was top notch. I had a interview for the Walsall reserve manager position but was overlooked by a more experienced face. I had another opportunity to manage a semi Professional club in Sutton Coldfield Town. Susan thought it was a great opportunity. It was local and a good chance to start with no pressure and get my "feet in" as it were, but i wanted a greater challenge. It was the Summer of 2015 where things were about to change.

It was only two months or so after i had obtained my "A-Licence" when Susan was asked to transfer down to Portsmouth, it was more money and i had no obligation to stay in the Midlands so i went with her. We both joked that it was only a short hop across to France and that i should start my career across the sea. I thought that Susan saw it as a nice dream to have to manage football full time but for me it was a goal i wanted to achieve as soon as possible. I was working in Portsmouth as a Employment consultant but i felt stuck behind a desk with no sign of football in sight. It was in this job i found a potential opening by chance. I applied and attended the subsequent interview and i heard nothing of them for nearly 3 weeks but it was during a meal in a restaurant in Portsmouth called The George (another coincidence perhaps) that i received the phone call that would start my life as a football manager. It was a guy called Stewart Donald and he asked me if we could talk about a contract to manage his club. I arranged to meet him the next day and it was there i got my first job in management. I had become a football manager, it was now time to chase the dream and not the competition.

CHAPTER TWO - Spitfire Island

View attachment 213958

Monday 5th July 2015 will always be a special date in my life. It was my first job and my first opportunity within football. I was amazed that Stewart decided i was the right man for the job but i wasn't about to ask him to re-consider.

I had stopped up pretty much all the night before studying Eastleigh. Its history, the squad and its facilities.

My first day i remember with great fondness. I was unveiled to the office staff as the new manager of the football club and i was pretty well received. Stewart sat me down with a young girl called Hayley. She was to be my personal assistant and who was responsible for setting up my working week. She explained to me that pre-season training started on the 7th July in just two days and that my first friendly was on the 18th July against St. Neots. That meant i had 48 hours to plan what i was going to do and set out my plan for the season ahead. This was all so fast paced for me. I have always been a methodical person who likes to plan and plan again, but perhaps the adrenalin of given such a opportunity made me see past that.

I Met with my Assistant and he gave a me various folders and dossiers on the playing squad along with it a USB stick with potential transfer targets. My desk was a mountain of folders and paperwork. It was up to me to install a way of organising this mess. I must have stayed at the office until nearly 11pm that day i collected my coat and left for home to sleep.

The next morning i woke up and decided to take the morning off to study my squad from home. Over a bowl of cornflakes i began to write my own notes. I noticed that we had little strength in depth. Our first choice goalkeeper was injured for 3 months. I also wanted to bring in a first choice right back. I Phoned up Matt my assistant and told him over the phone that i had looked at his usb and decided to install trust in him by getting in two of his targets he had put on the stick.

My first two signing as a football manager were both free transfers not exactly the millions the big boys were spending but i was thrilled. First off was a goalkeeper. George Curca. He was a romanian goalkeeper who had played for Dinamo Bucharest he was about to sign for Corby Town when we got in and changed his mind.

The second player was Liam Marrs. He was part of Sunderlands academy but didnt break into the first squad and found himself at Boston United he was quick and postive going forward so he was snapped up too.

I felt that i could get a few more in and go in to pre-season with a positive attitude.

View attachment 213950View attachment 213949

(George Curca and Liam Marrs. My first two signings.)