Inquisition

Reaction score
So this is my First ever Manager story thread (So bare with me). Well a little background to myself I'm currently living in the Great White land of Canada but that is not my nationality. I moved from England when I was 11 so for the first few years I was cut off from the football scene and only recently in the past 3 years I have found my way back to it! I am strong Tottenham supporter ;) where my Mum and Dads family grew up in the town Enfield but I lived in Hertfordshire. This is the reason I chose to do a Stevenage FC rise to the Premier League.

With it seeming that the new manager of Stevenage sold all the power in the team and starting from scratch I guess it made it harder FM to see the ability of some of the new players. Robin Shroot being a good example. Anyways so during the start of the season I let go of a lot of the squad and you will see why if you take a gander at the Stevenage squad on FM. Anyways Here we go.

(give me suggestions I'd love to hear them)​

Due to the recent troubles among the club newly contract Stevenage Manager Gary Smith has been sacked surprising most of the footballing community as one of the quickest sackings in football history. Rumours around the area say Smith was sacked for his lack of control of the squad and the recent departures of quality players. In the wake of Smiths exit, the determined Sam Fisher has been appointed the new manager of his childhoods local team.
View attachment 288652
With the start of the season in eyes view I knew I had to make some drastic changes to the squad to give us any chance of being promoted to the championship series next season. I made myself a list of quality players scouting my way through premier division and championship reserves along with possible free transfers. Firstly I have transfered and released all the dead weight so that I can use the wages given back to sign enough players to rebuild. When I joined the club I was aware of the ability of midfielders Luke Freeman, Lucas Akins and Greg Tansey along with striker Marcus Haber. Which made it a lot easier for me to focus on what positions I needed.

Transfers

View attachment 288653

(I know thats a lot of signings and releases but, that might not be the last of them)

Major Signings
View attachment 288654View attachment 288655View attachment 288656
Jake Taylor, Jesse Lingard, Salaheddine Sbai

July Games of the Season

Chippenham 0-3 Stevenage
Akins 34, 58. Freeman 41.

Stevenage 1-3 Chelsea Reserves
Jake Taylor 69.

Dover 0-4 Stevenage
Lingard 31,51. Pitharas 85. Freeman 88.

Wimbledon AFC 2-1 Stevenage
Agyemang 91.

As of August I will be recording my thoughts on Stevenage Player of the Month

(again give me suggestions)

View attachment 288700

This month wasn't the most active of Stevenage's of course it was the start of the season and my first debut game as Manager but all in all it was just a solid start. Creating a foothold in the league and showing the strength of the transformed squad.

Early in the month we played Wimbledon AFC in my manager debut. The match was definitely a grudge match due to them beating us in a friendly in July which made the victory that much sweeter. Our next game was against Crewe which a referee's call tipped the game upside down. Sbai managed to get a red card early on in the game giving Crewe the upper hand quickly. The second league game was against Crawley where we gave them a rude entrance to life in the League 1 with an absolute hammering by the boys. Third league game of the season was against MK Dons a particularly hard game that we won with the help of Habers late counter attack goal. Our last game of the month was against Leicester in the Capital One Cup. I have made it my goal to succeed in the League so I will use this cups for younger players development as we do not have a great chance in winning anyways. We put up a fight against the Foxes but with the inexperience of most of the eleven on the pitch they proved to much for us.

AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Stevenage
Capital One Cup
Haber 82, 90.

Stevenage 0-1 Crewe
League

Crawley 0-4 Stevenage
League
Ashton 14. Roberts 29. Agyemang 35. Akins 67.

Stevenage 2-0 MK Dons
League
Roberts 18. Haber 86.

Leicester 3-1 Stevenage
Capital One Cup
Lingard 59.

Table

View attachment 288727

Player of the Month
View attachment 288726
Luke Freeman

This month Freeman was exceptional he created over 3 goals and has the highest rating in the league. He didn't score any goals but, he was able to affectively attack the opposition and set up creative chances to make goals happen.

Sorry about the late post but I completely forgot about this thread. I have also been reading other stories and I found some other more interesting ways to post to keep you readers into the story. (Thanks to the story from Slimchap and his story The English Riviera, Brighton Hove Albion FC, Check the story out it is a great one and it will keep you coming back http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-english-riviera-brighton-hove-albion-fc.html )

Anyways moving onto my own story since my last post I have finished the season in the npower league 1. So unfortunately I am going to have to summarize the 2012-13 season and it might be quite vague at times. BUT as I go through the season the nearer to the end I get the more specific and descriptive I will be. Especially from January onwards. I will fill you in with all the major events though. I promise though that I will this season show how the team copes with the changes. Much like Slimchap I will post a giant post of the season for each one I complete so bare with me I have lots to do over the Christmas time so likely the next post will be sometime during January.

After the first few games in the league during August Stevenage pushed on through the rest of the 2012 year with wins against Swindon, Colchester, Bury, Yeovil, Brentford, Shrewsbury, Walsall, Oldham, Bournemouth, Notts County, Preston, underachieving Doncaster, money stretched Portsmouth, Carlisle, Crewe, Leyton Orient, overachieving Crawley, Swindon and Yeovil again. Draws with Hartlepool TWICE, MK Dons, Scunthorpe and Coventry. Fisher noted after the second draw against Hartlepool theres only one thing he hates more than losing twice, and thats drawing twice. Losing to Tranmere and Sheffield United only, being a great achievement for the Boro.

So the first half of the season went fairly well which was really surprising, with the squad Stevenage had, the bookies had expected them to be playing for a middle of the pack finish.

A tight competition for the playoff spots was under way but it seemed that only three teams were competing for the top spot that was Championship relegated Coventry, Notts County and surprise package Stevenage. The gap between the three leaders and other teams was quite large at least six to twelve points at times which was really awful for the other teams wishing to pass on through without dealing with the nail biting affair of playoffs. Fisher earlier in the season stated his discontent of having to deal with a playoff battle to win promotion to the Championship.

In the cup competition Stevenage’s manager stated in the opening stages that his eyes were on the league rather than the the extra competitions on the sideline.

In the Capital One Cup Stevenage left the competition fairly early when they played a strong Leicester side in the Second round. The Foxes gave Stevenage a hard game taking the game two up in the first half. Even after the words from Fisher the squad seemed dull and uninterested only a brace from United prospect Lingard pulled one back but it wasn’t enough to bring the rest of the squad to life. The fixture ended for Stevenage 3-1 to the Foxes. The discontent in the managers eyes was evident and it could be heard from outside the dressing room.

The initial look in January of any possible moves to Stevenage was venturous. With many names being brought up with the words ‘potential’, ‘move’, and ‘Stevenage’ being on the lips of many fanatics, followers, news reporters and journalists throughout the month. Most of the potential signings were for Midfielders. Stevenage only had a few options in the middle of the pitch and during the opening transfer window Fisher had already stated he would be looking into bringing a Midfielder whether it was then or in the future. Eventually Stevenage signed Anton Rodgers from Brighton Hove Albion for 200K. Unfortunately Rodgers did not see his first game to come until February after the cup and league games against Swindon and other such teams.

Also in January Stevenage started the FA cup against fellow League 1 promotion prospects Swindon Town who had built a major rivalry with the unpredictable Stevenage side. The first round went to a tense draw of 1-1 with the last round ending in an aggregation of 2-1 to Stevenage.

The next match for Stevenage was against West Bromwich Albion, in a question and answer Fisher accessed the situation with a question and answer interview with Sky Sports who have been following the manager since his surprising reign at Stevenage had started.

View attachment 294549

Q: Your next fixture is against the Barclays Premier League side West Brom, How do you feel about the tie?

A:
Well in complete honesty, I have total mixed feelings about the tie. With West Brom currently under achieving in their league it gives us that little more chance of winning against the BPL side. Yet we could have drawn a team from the Championship series or from the League 2 such as AFC Wimbledon or even Grimsby from the Blue Square Premier. I would rather play a team that is underachieving with low morale then a team that is playing well to have made it this far such as Grimsby; really quite a success story for them. So we will go into this game with optimism and the chance to go away with a legendary win for the Club.​

With half the team running on little to no energy the tough ask was going to have to be a team effort. In a risky move Fisher chose to use his strongest players yet, gambling games in the league in attempt to make it to further rounds in the Cup. He chose to field: Haber (ST), Freeman (AML), Jake Taylor (AMC), Lucas Akins (AMR), Greg Tansey (MC), James Dunne (MC), Salaheddine Sbai (DL), Andy Iro (DC), Mark Roberts (DC), Adam Thompson (DR) and Chris Day (GK). The only switches in the line that made the starting eleven different from what the fans would have expected to play was, Taylor instead of Lingard who was injured with a twisted ankle and Ashton and Iro. Fisher stated that he wanted to keep some players fresh like Ashton and Iro was currently in good form running up a string of good performances in previous matches. The cup match also so the return of striker Haber who had been injured in December. Many fans were seen with a smile to see the fin of the Canadians hair move onto the field when the game was reaching its start.

The game started off for Stevenage terribly. The players looked flat and within a few minutes West Brom showed their dominance. Tenacious strike Shane Long scored a goal only a few minutes into the game. Within the first half Stevenage played on their heels and it was only luck that kept the score margin from growing. Into the dressing room the players went at half time and a strong team talk was evident.

Fisher obviously said something because only ten minutes into the second half Akins pulled one back for the Boro and fifteen minutes after that unlikely scorer Dunne brought another to the fans delight. Towards the rest of the game the Stevenage side held their ground with Iro and Roberts holding off the strikers again and again, it wasn’t long before the final whistle came. The home side had won! Only by one point but still the win was over a team two divisions larger than themselves.

After the FA fixture the Boro fans really got behind the team to push on. In some cases the game really solidified Stevenage’s foot hold in their League.

Stevenage moved on through the start of February with a tired side. Many inexperienced players were called upon to keep the team together as the senior players got rested. Freeman and Roberts were rested for a few games which was understandable due to the teams need for Freeman’s ability to create goals and Robert’s ability to stop goals.

The Boro’s next game in the FA Cup was against Liverpool. In a local radio interview Fisher routed the fans in hopes of motivating the players for heroic win not only against a Premier League past winner but at their fortress of a stadium known as Anfield.

The Interview worked within the first forty minutes of the game Stevenage the Npower League 1 team was two nil up. Due to the crafty goals from Akins and Agyemang Stevenage had put the Anfield occupants to sleep. Only silence could be heard within the stadium. Even the Cop had been quieted. The only noise heard was from the pocket of Boro fans who had dared to make the trip to the away game in the historic setting and the constant shouts of instructions from the Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers. That silence was broken on the 88th minute when Suarez pulled one back for the crumbling hosts. It wasn’t enough. Stevenage had won and rightfully so. The win went down in history as one of the greatest wins to have ever been accomplished by the lower division side.

Pushing on through March Fisher battered away many rumors of him moving to a bigger club in the future. He often used the sentence “My home is here, every fan is my neighbor.” But as things seemed to be on the rise Stevenage got dominated by the successful Newcastle side in their FA tie. 3-1 was the name of the game and Stevenage had finally been knocked off their horse. A series of draws and loses in the League gave the so called invincible team a strong winding. With the amount of games won in the League due to the long lasting good form Stevenage had slipped themselves into a safe cushion of ten points over the second place team in the league. Only needing a few points in the league here and there would set the clubs promotion in stone.

Later that month following draws against rich Bournemouth and playoff fighting Notts County, Stevenage were named Npower League 1 Champions. This gave the last few games in the league to be used for youth experience and chances for the also young manager to develop the newer players. Sky Sports were the first interviewers all over the manager after promotion was won.

Q: Now that you have officially won the league what is your plan for next season are you staying with the club?

A:
Well I’m not moving to a different club. A week ago I signed a new contract with Stevenage FC and I will be taking the club to the next level.

Q:
What are you going to do to prepare for the next season?

A:
We already have set our training camp to be longer and start earlier than the other teams. I think the camp ends June 27th, so the players have over a month off now. Which will give me time to re-evaluate the squad and write a list for next season.

Q:
Who do you think will win the Npower League 1 and Championship Playoffs?

A:
Thats a tough question. For the League 1 we have Swindon, Notts Co, Brentford and Tranmere. I think any team that wins in the playoff stage shows a lot of character, and will be a contender in the promoted league. I personally think Swindon will come away with the win. They are all good teams but Swindon won promotion last year from League 2, and that has got to give them a boost to their morale. In the Championship, what are the teams again?

Q:
Watford, Cardiff, Birmingham and Blackburn

A:
Ahh, yeah you see everyone thinks that those ex Premier League sides will probably win, but nah watch Watford or Cardiff show them up. In all fairness though I love the team Watford because of their geographical distance between us, but I just do not feel they would last long in the Premier League. So my moneys on Cardiff.

Q:
And Finally, how does it feel to win promotion?

A:
It hasn’t really sunk in yet, but when we play the likes of relegated Norwich, Fulham and West Brom - who must have a grudge to settle with us *Fisher chuckled*. I am certain it would sunk in then.

Q:
Sum up the season in a few words?

A:
Really my only word for this season is... Wow.

Q:
Thank you for your time.

A:
Anytime.

Premier League Results:
Winners: Chelsea 77pts,
Top 4: Manchester City 77pts, Manchester United 72pts, Arsenal 71pts
Top 6: Tottenham 68pts, Newcastle 63pts
Relegated: Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, Norwich

Npower Championship Results:
Winners: Bolton 96pts, Runners up: Wolves 86pts
Playoff Winners: Cardiff 69pts
Relegated: Ipswich, Millwall, Nottingham Forest

Npower League 1:
Winners: Stevenage 93pts, Runners up: Coventry 86pts
Playoff Winners: Brentford 67pts
Relegated: Walsall, Crewe, Bury, Portsmouth

Npower League 2:
Promoted: Burton, Rochdale, Rotherham, Bradford

Cups:
Champions league: Barcelona
EURO Cup: Tottenham (Yahooo)
FA Cup: Chelsea (again)
Capital One cup: Tottenham (Yahooo again)
Johnston's Paint Trophy: Stevenage

Onto the
View attachment 294553

Last edited:
Season Two
View attachment 296389

With the month of May gone, leaving only a few weeks for the newly promoted Stevenage side to get time with family and friends, celebrating in their own personal ways. Although the new season hadn’t started yet for Stevenage manager Sam Fisher was seen entering the under construction Broadhall Way the squad and fans had learnt to call home. The Stevenage board knew that expansions had to be made even if they didn’t get promoted. So 3221 seats were being added.

Within days the players were back from holidays. One of the main procedures Fisher had stated is that the club is going to start early this season to get ready for the Championship. Already some regular faces were missing and new faces were seen. Marcel Eger and Patrick Agyemang contracts had ended. A number of youth players were sent out on free transfers. Ben McKenna was transferred to Macclesfield for free.

View attachment 296543
Ryan McGivern

The reshaping of the club seemed apparent. Within the first month Fisher had brought in five new players only one being seen as a first team player. Ryan McGivern was transferred to the team for 5K which was a steal. Kenji Gorre, Marcel Barrington, Tom Paul and James Lloyd were all bought seen as reserve, loanees and potential for the future.

Only one astonishing face didn’t return to training. Luke Freeman. Freeman last season won the player of the League and had been a major part of the squad on the pitch. Because of this the creative starlet was tired. He was aloud another three weeks holiday to recuperate plus he deserved it.

An interview with a local radio before the start of July was held with the young manager to answer some fan questions.

Q: So when last season ended you made some predictions about the playoff contending teams you were right on one of them but, the other you were wrong. What did you think of the final standings?

A: Well certainly it was nice to see Cardiff go up with Bolton and Wolves. They really deserved it. But Brentford going to the Championship. Well I guess it just shows the character and unity that squad has. They were really the underdogs. It seems each year they are so close, yet so far. Its nice to see it finally paying off for them.

Q: The fans want to know why you didn’t offer Agyemang another contract.

A: Well it was a hard choice. Agyemang is 32 now but, he did produce a lot for us over the season. If I did tie him up again for this season he would have been in the reserves the majority of the time and that seems unfair for someone with such talent.

Q: One last question. What are you other plans in the transfer window? With only your buy of Ryan McGivern from Manchester City do you plan on any additions?

A: Of course there will be more moves. Its on a need to know basis. I have a big list of potential signings and buys, just keep a good eye on the market.

View attachment 296537View attachment 296538
Colin Doyle and Jesse Lingard

Only a few weeks later the broadcasters saw what Fisher had said. Aidan Grant, Colin Doyle and Jesse Lingard signed for the Boro. Lingard and Doyle left many people surprised with their signings with the newly promoted club. Lingard was expected to go on loan to Stevenage again but, no one expected him to sign with them. Doyle also came out of no where, with the speculation that Sam Slocombe from Scunthorpe was to transfer to the Boro many people were caught off guard when Fisher decided to sign Doyle instead of Slocombe.

Fisher stated that the choice of Doyle over Slocombe was purely because of Doyle’s experience in the Championship and his signing on a free transfer left a lot of money for other signings this year.

View attachment 296390View attachment 296391
Character Sanchez Watt (left) and Andy Little

Later in July the Boro signed Ashley Smith-Brown and Deividas Cesnauskis on free transfers. Little did fans know this wasn’t the last of the transfers as Andy Little from Rangers was loaned to the club and ex Arsenal youth and reserve Sanchez Watt signed with the Boro.

The last of the transfers for the club came from the signing of James Hurst and the loaning of Chris Herd from Aston Villa.

The Pre-season was a great chance to see all the new signings for the team and to see who was going to be in the starting eleven for the young manager. During the pre-season Ryan McGivern really established himself in the squad. Fisher stated his delight with the cheap signing and saw McGivern being a quality asset for the club within the season. McGivern’s training with Manchester City was noticeable. One of his goals was a joy to behold. A swift overlap. McGivern joint up with the midfielders on the wing. He passed the ball inside to Freeman bolted forward between the oppositions fullback and central defender getting a fair bit of space. Freeman played a lovely ball for McGivern and from an awkward angle he managed to curve the ball into the far post.

Plays like that were what Stevenage manager Fisher was looking for. He would be looking for that in the start of the season.

The first games for the Boro were against Leicester, West Brom, Charlton, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday. The Stevenage squad showed up. The first game against Leicester was a 0-0 draw which was respectable as the Foxes are always promotion contenders. The second was a repeat of last seasons FA fixture a 2-1 win to Stevenage against the relegated side WBA. Charlton then showed Stevenage its not going to be as easy as they thought with a 0-2 drubbing. Then the most exciting fixture of all. Blackburn was tipped for promotion but, they didn’t expect the Stevenage side to come knocking on their door. 6-2 to Stevenage at Ewood park. Freeman, Lingard and Akins dominated the midfield and took control of the game effortlessly. Against Sheffield the good form continued with a 2-1 win.

The last of the games in September for Stevenage were against Hull City, Bristol City, Arsenal (Capital One Cup) and Blackpool.

The game at home with Hull City was a tight affair for the Boro but ended with a late goal from centre back Jack Hobbs who scored Hulls only goal. The match ended a 0-1 to Hull at the Boro’s temporary home at Vicarage Road after the board decided upon stadium expansions.

Bristol and Arsenal also offered Stevenage a thrashing a 2-0 win to Bristol and an even larger margin with 4-0 win to Arsenal. Fisher later stated after the Arsenal game. “I want to keep my first liners in good form and fit. So I played mainly reserves for the Cup tie.”

Stevenage offered a bounce back win against Blackpool which the fans embraced with open arms. Ever since Blackpool have been relegated from the BPL the Seasiders have been itching to get back in there. Unfortunately for them Blackpool have been underachieving this season and with the likes of their star player Thomas Ince sidelined it made easy pickings for the Boro squad to pull a 2-0 win.

View attachment 296544
Luke Freeman

The month finished off with a huge disappointing piece of news for the Stevenage squad and fans. Star winger Luke Freeman who has put in a ton of great performances this season and last, with four goals and four assists. Handed a letter to Stevenage manager Fisher asking for a transfer reasons being: not having the contract wanted. Later that day a press conference was held with the manager.

Q: What was your initial reaction to Freeman’s request?
A: Obviously Freeman has immense quality. He wants and deserves the wage he is asking for. If I had the resources to off him the contract I would, but we don’t. So all I can do is offer him the door with deep regret if he wants to go there is nothing I can do about it.
Q: You seem quite calm and relaxed about the subject, why?
A: Well this is just football for you and all I can do is go along and hope for the best.

(some more irrelevant questions were asked)​

October was a tight month for the Boro. Games against Huddersfield, Derby, Middlesbrough, Fulham and sister Watford. A fairly even month with a few hard games and a few potential wins.

The pattern found in the results was WLWLW. The Huddersfield game ended 1-0 to Stevenage. Against Derby the Boro lost 2-1, with a last minute try from Tansey being the only consolation. Middlesbrough was a 3-1 to the Boro again, Roberts, Watt and Tansey scoring the goals. Fulham offered a not so surprising 1-0 loss to Stevenage. The Watford game ended 2-0 to the Boro, Little and Taylor scoring the goals.

November and December saw the sackings of 10+ managers from Championship teams. Fisher was offered jobs with Blackburn, West Bromwich Albion and Sunderland. He rejected all of them.

Wins against Peterborough, Brentford, Birmingham, Brighton, Charlton and West Brom. It just seems for the Baggies that they couldn’t get one up over the yet again surprising Stevenage side.

Loses against Burnley, Norwich and Sheffield were very encouraging for the relegation tipped Boro.

Draws with Leeds, Coventry, Crystal Palace, Barnsley and Leicester were satisfactory for Fisher.

The last two months before the new year, Stevenage had been flirting with the chance of promotion. Completely altering the thoughts from the bookies. The signings Fisher had made were keeping the side afloat. Sanchez Watt, McGivern and Chris Herd provided experience from playing with BPL teams which brought a boost to the squad.

It wasn’t long before the January Transfer window came along. With the development of the players and the knowledge learned it became obvious as to who would feature in the squad next season from the original League One Stevenage.

New contracts were noticeably given to Luke Freeman, Salahaddine Sbai and Lucas Akins. Anton Rodgers and Matthew Ball signed deals with Dundee United as Stevenage had decided not to offer them new contracts for the end of the season.

Marcus Haber, Matthew Ball, James Hurst and Chris Day were placed on the transfer listed. Seen as a surplus to requirements. Andy Little had been sent back to Ranger as he had not blended with the squad as well as expected. Fisher had loaned him on the account of a potential buy in the future and obviously wasn’t to be featured in Fisher’s plans anymore.
View attachment 296536View attachment 296534
Rory Donnelly and Billy Clifford

Welch star Rory Donnelly and Billy Clifford were brought in as loanees and quickly established themselves in the squad.
View attachment 296533
Benjamin Mendy shaking hands with Sam Fisher

Benjamin Mendy from Havre AC a strong French left back signed with Stevenage. The switch was to happen in July once he completed his contract in France. A inter squad battle was to commence for the rest of the season McGivern and Sbai would play to earn their spot in the squad next year.

During January the FA Cup started up again. Stevenage and fans looked to push forward in the competition as they did last year.

First game against Wigan. A hard fought battle ended with a 1-0 win to Stevenage. Sanchez Watt pushing for a stunning goal on the 75th. The second game was against Welch side Swansea. The game was full of goals, but Stevenage didn’t hold the fire they had last season. The final whistle rang with a 4-2 win to the Swans. Goals from Dunne and Freeman provided the only fight back.

On through the Championship Stevenage went continuing to flirt with the prospect of promotion to the deadly Premier league. With the surprising possibility of promotion began a wide spread attack of journalists and reporters upon the Boro.

Skysports were the first hot on the case:

View attachment 296532

Q: You and your boys are pushing promotion, lots of people are left surprised and skeptical of whether your squad would be able to compete in the premier league?

A:
Yes, thats completely understandable. With our recent move from the League One it would seem that our squad would be too weak for the Premier League. In my thoughts with a few tweaks to the squad I am sure we would be able to stay up.

Q:
With this push you must be happy to have had Luke Freeman sign a new contract with Stevenage

A:
Of course. Luke is a major gear in the movement of the squad. I wouldn’t rule out the other players in the squad though.

Q:
Well that concludes the questions for today. Thank you.

A:
Your welcome. Goodbye.​

On through February Stevenage pushed maintaining their respectable place of 6th on the edge of the playoff spot competing with the relegated Fulham, WBA and Norwich. Brighton and Burnley also kept up with the ex Premier league sides.

March hit and so came the pain. Stevenage went the whole month with only one win to the relegation tipped side Brentford. Barnsley handed out a difficult loss to Stevenage 2-1. Peterborough, Watford and Burnley were all draws.

A difficult month for Stevenage fighting to retain a spot in the top 6. Plummeting to 9th place Stevenage went. A team meeting was organized to make sure the players heads didn’t drop.

Fisher: Come on boys I know we haven’t been doing as well as we were but, I just want to make sure that our heads don’t drop.

Roberts: Sam is right we need to get back on track.

The room reacted well. So did the staff.​

Even if Stevenage didn’t get promoted the place they held would generate the sponsors and money they needed to expand.

The new feeling in the club was of overwhelmingly high. Birmingham, Leeds, Palace and Brighton were brushed aside by Stevenage. The only teams that challenged Stevenage’s crusade for a playoff spot were Norwich and Coventry. Even their successful attempts to gain points against the morale bolstered side failed to stop Stevenage gaining a spot into 5th place.

Stevenage drew Brighton as their opposition in the playoff’s.

To their delight their first game was at home. Even with the morale boost of the crowd around them Stevenage were unable to fend off against the Seagulls. They dominated in every area of the game winning 2-0. Stevenage attempted to take it to them at home but, that just wasn’t enough. Despite Rory Donnelly and Luke Freeman’s early goals the Gulls struck back with their own two.

A press conference was held right after the game.

Q: That didn’t go to plan for your team. Especially after you dominated them 2 weeks before the playoffs.

Fisher:
Not exactly but, this was only our first season in the Championship so it just solidifies our position as contenders for next years competition.

Q:
After those games who do you think will win the promotion?

Fisher:
It has to be Brighton. They gave us a run and won it. I can’t see Fulham getting past that fortress of a club.

Q:
What can we expect from your side next year?

Fisher:
To win.

(and the manager left with a smile on his face and cheers from the crowd)

Premier League
Winner: Manchester United, 81pts
Top 4: Arsenal 80pts, Manchester City 73pts, Chelsea 66pts
Top 6: Liverpool 64pts, Tottenham 58pts
Relegated: Southampton, Bolton and Cardiff

Championship
Winner: West Bromwich Albion 86pts
Second: Norwich 85pts, Playoff: Brighton (To Slimchaps happiness)
Relegated: Watford, Coventry and Brentford

League One
Promoted: Ipswich, Millwall and Nottingham Forest
Relegated: Yeovil, Leyton Orient, Bradford and Milton Keynes Dons

Champions League winners: Barcelona. runners up: Real Madrid
Europa winners: FCP. runners up: Manchester City
FA Cup winners: Manchester United. runners up: Queens Park Rangers
Capital One Cup winners: Chelsea. runners up: Arsenal.

Last edited:
Stevenage 2014-15 Season
Fortitude

View attachment 299493

And so the second season in the Championship was emerging for Stevenage FC. From what seemed to have been an indescribable fairy tail pursuit to becoming one of the top British teams. Fisher had earned the reputation of surprising most of the football world and with the conclusion of last seasons epic ending Fisher had enticed the world with his final words “To win”.

The BBC had been closely tracking the progress of the unlikely team since its double promotion from the BSP to League 1. Seen as an opportunity to promote and earn, the top corp bosses of the news enterprise shot an email and proposition to the Stevenage board. The offer to document the squad for the next few seasons to provide an inside witness for the promotion pushers. With money to be made Chairman Phil Wallace accepted not only did the money from TV rights put some hard earned cash into the club but, the cash could be used to better extend funds to giving the required finances to get into the Premier League.

_____________​

Stevenage started off the year with a flurry of movement in the transfer department. Staff were replaced such as long term Assistant manager Mark Newson. Fresh face giving new ideas, broader knowledge and cutting-edge creativity. Colin West from Notts County boarded the train along with other prestigious staff all looking to do there bit in effort to gain the so called ‘impossible task’. With new staff came new players

Up and coming Full Back and prospected French International Benjamin Mendy joined on his free transfer and so saw the leaving of another in his place. Two season player Salaheddine Sbai left to come back promotes Millwall for an estimated 850K. In Fisher’s words he was sad to see the Moroccan leave as his exceptional form was beat by the youth of Ryan McGivern.

View attachment 299486
Benjamin Mendy

Matthew Ball and Anton Rodgers both joined Dundee United on frees to the fans dismay both wanting first team football and higher wages which were inaccessible at Stevenage.

Andy Iro, Daividas Cesnauskis, Mirko Ranieri and Colin Doyle all were sold to clubs for what is believed to be around 600K. Other than Ranieri reasons being in their advancing years now.

View attachment 299487View attachment 299488
(Left) Marcus Pedersen, (Right) Mickael Nelson

In came Marcus Pedersen from Vitesse and Mickael Nelson from FC Metz respectively costing 500K and 160K. A flurry of loanees came in left, right and centre. Davide Petrucci, Thomas Carroll and Rory Donnelly were loaned into the club. The fans were particularly pleased with the re-loaning of Donnelly as he had made a number of impressive performances for Stevenage last season.
View attachment 299489View attachment 299491
(Right) Davide Petrucci, (Left) Thomas Carroll

Two exceptional Goalies were signed on frees, Oier Olazabal an ex Barcelona youth and Jake Kean from Blackburn both signed for Stevenage. Along with the goalies Alex Kiwomya, Michel Lieder and Olivier Ntcham signed as youthful prospects with every chance to play in the first team.

View attachment 299490View attachment 299492
(Left) Oier Olazabal, (Right) Jake Kean

BBC documented Fisher’s thoughts on the signings:

Fisher: Well we had some spaces to fill especially in goal as we let go of Colin Doyle due to him not living up to the standards we expected of him. Oier Olazabal has trained with one of the best teams in the world in my own mind easily making him our starting goalie. Jake Kean was brought in with his potential and heart to play the game. He also added competition for the first team goalie position. Mendy and Pedersen all brought some character and quality much as the loanees do and I am absolutely delighted we managed to re-loan Donnelly he did well for us last season. Nelson was brought in as more of a back-up for Ashton and Roberts. The younger players brought in were our clubs pursuit for future prospects and Ntcham has been dubbed the next Yohan Cabaye and is expected to be a major part in the clubs future.​

Pre-season went well for Stevenage. Wins against Hereford and Bishop Stortford. Draws with Shrewsbuy and Osasuna. Losing to only Chelsea on a close encounter ending with 3-2 to the Blues.

Stevenage’s first competitive game of the season was against Plymouth in the COC (Capital One Cup). 2-0 nil victory were the words on the Boro fans lips. Both goals from none other than the relentless threat Luke Freeman eased the Boro past the Pilgrims.

Middlesborough were the next destination for Stevenage a trip to The Riverside Stadium brought an insight of good fortune to the Boro campaign. 2-1 resulted in a stirred up home side atmosphere. James Dunne carefully slotted 2 past Jason Steele.

BBC filmed the impressed manager after the game during his reveled team speech.

Fisher: Well done boys, that was an excellent win against the EX-bigger Borough. You lads showed who is top dog over those Midlanders. And James if you keep playing like that I’m going to have to make you the new striker (with a quick wink to the jeering wingers and strikers).

Stevenage had started the season on the right track. When they came swinging in on the Saints the quickly brushed them aside with 3 goals from expected Freeman with two and Donnelly with one. The only chip in the Boro’s shoulder was a single goal from ex Fulham star Bryan Ruiz, as the Saints crumbled below the attacking package of Freeman and Donnelly.

The form continued Crystal Palace, Fulham, Cardiff, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Leicester Millwall, Peterborough, Bristol, Leeds, Burnley, Bolton and Blackpool could not stall the ever stronger Stevenage side. Games were coming in all over the place and still the Boro pushed on.

For the first time Stevenage were on good form during the COC. After beating the Pilgrims they went to Selhurst Park to face the Crystal Palace outfit. Freeman again clinched the winning goal at 46 minutes. Scoring the only goal in the game after a number of chances between the teams. The game became a duel between goalies, who to concede first. Argentine goalie Speroni fell.

Onto Huddersfield, Stevenage went to another away game and on the 22nd minute the ball hit the back of the net. Akins left Terriers fans in disbelief. Tansey added to the fans ache with another 23 minutes into the second half. 2-0 was the final score and the away fans walked with a cheeky smile on their faces. The welsh premier league relegated Cardiff were next and were itching to get the own back.

After a 6-1 win at Cardiff’s home. The Welsh fans were heard all over the Stevenage Facebook page for weeks. The threats were proved empty as a close show of speed and skill finished with 3 to the Boro and 2 to the Bluebirds. Donnelly with two and Watt with another.

The Saints were the next victims mirroring the same result Cardiff had. Although they did push the heavy attacking Stevenage into extra time it gave loanee Petrucci a exceptional goal from distance on the 98th.

After the game answered a few questions

Fisher: Simply I am amazed with the heart the who team has been playing with. In the League and Cup all players have been putting everything they have into the game.

Reporter: With this quality your team has been playing at do you plan any moves in the fast approaching Transfer window?

Fisher: You know what... I don’t think so. Maybe if we can make another signing like Mendy we will but, it all depends on the players floating around.

Reporter: Do you feel you can keep this run going and fulfill the statement ‘To win’ last year?

Fisher: I don’t see why not. With the amount of points we have accumulated we have made a healthy margin between the other Promotion runners Nottingham Forest.

Mickael Nelson was particularly impressing the fans. Brought in as a backup but found his way into the starting 11. In front of goal he was know as the French Wall to the Boro fans being dispatching the opponents forwards time and time again.

Into the new year Stevenage went with only two losses and seven draws. Arsenal were the Boro’s next opponent in the COC but the quality of the Gunners proved too much. A bulky win of 5-0 (total both games).

On the Transfer side Marco D'Alessandro and Florian Thauvin both agreed terms with the Boro to join the club in the summer.

View attachment 299509View attachment 299510
​(Left) Marco D'Alessandro, (Right) Florian Thauvin

Unfortunately the only win that was found in January was against Wrexham and Crewe in the FA Cup anxious to keep heads high Fisher routed the players in a team meeting. It didn’t work. February Peterborough and Bristol were the only ones to fall to the Boro. Manchester United booted the Boro out of the FA Cup and the Championship teams were seeking revenge.

Again at the end of February Fisher attempted to rout the down-hearted Stevenage squad. BBC caught the meeting, a rough one at that.

Fisher: Where is the passion lads? If you keep playing like that we won’t stand a chance in the Premier League. You lot need to step your act up if you want to gain our rightful place up there.​

The squad reacted. A thorough thrashing of Title contenders Forest gave everyone the motivation to get back on track. Rory Donnelly firing absolute rockets past the Forest keeper.

Hull also lost to the Boro but, the Leeds game was one to remember. 6-1 Dunne, Nelson, Mendy, Petrucci, Freeman and Akins all got past the goal keeper. It was knuckle down time for the Club. Fisher knew it, the squad knew it and the fans knew it.

Each game was a tight one. All teams were fighting to either get out of relegation or get into promotion spots. Another promotion fighter Burnley. Who have been up there every year fought a hard match. Lingard scored the only goal with a right time right place finish.

Sheffield Wednesday were next and at Broadway Hall they dominated possession and won 1-0 to the fans dismay. A quick response to against Bolton 4-0. Akins, Petrucci, Freeman and Donnelly scoring.

The last four games were against Chalton, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Derby. They all had to count. With the lapse in form Stevenage had found themselves only 3 points difference between second place holders Forest. Stevenage had guaranteed themselves promotion but Fisher and the fans didn’t just want promotion they wanted the title.

2-1, 3-1 and 3-1. Charlton, Huddersfield and Blackpool fell to the Boro. The motivation in the squad was too much for the opposition. They wanted it and they had it. With no notice Fisher hadn’t seen that after the game against Nottingham they had lost to a combination of teams leaving Stevenage in a comfortable spot. The last 3 games didn’t go well for Forest either. This helped round off Stevenage’s title grasp.

After the Blackpool game Stevenage wanted to go out on a bang against Derby. Yet the Derby club was inching 2 points away from a playoff spot that Hull City were holding. Motivation is a helpful thing 2-0 to Derby. It wasn’t enough for them Hull had also won their own game. These last minute runs for promotion spots, playoff spots and spots outside of relegation had again shown the fan base world a series of intense and extremely exhilarating games to watch.

With the season close to the start of the playoffs Stevenage boss Fisher answered a number of questions.

Reporter: How does it feel?

Fisher: Like ****... I’m utterly astonished with the amount my liver has held up with these past few days (Grinning)

Reporter: Who do you expect to win the promotion from this League and the lower?

Fisher: Oh god, ask this every year don’t you lot. I expect Hull to surprise us. In the nicest manner I hadn’t expected to see them near the top. But that goes for Blackpool too from their own past seasons results. For the League One, all the clubs I didn’t expect. Gillingham has my eye.

Reporter: What is your plan for next season?

Fisher: Too early to think about next season? Nah it never is. You will see. (With a smerk on his face he left)

Premier League:
Winners: Arsenal 80pts,
Runners up: Man City 77pts, Chelsea 75pts,
Man United 71pts, Newcastle 63pts, Liverpool 61pts
Relegated: Q.P.R, Sunderland and Brighton (Slimchamp tut tut Dunk is mine ....hopefully)

Championship:
Winners: STEVENAGE 96pts YAHOOOOO
2nd: Nottingham Forest 88pts
Playoff Winners: Fulham 79pts, runners up: Hull City 75pts
3rd and 5th: Southampton 85pts and Blackpool 77pts

League One:
Winners: Watford, 2nd: Sheffield United
Playoff winners: Crewe

League Two:
Promoted: Bristol Rovers, Bradford, Torquay and Northampton

(new idea thought you lot would like)
Notable News: (Such as Transfers, Retirements, etc)
Arsene Wenger retires, David Moyes takes his place. Alex Ferguson retires, Josep Guardiola takes his place. Crewe promoted 2 years in a row. Gillingham almost do the same. Theo Walcott to Manchester United. Ryan Shawcross to Chelsea. Christian Eriksen to Liverpool. Neymar to Barcelona. Nani to Juventus. Jovetic to Chelsea. Borini to Real Madrid.

Feel free to ask me any questions about players, teams, managers and other such. I’d love to tell you what they are up to :)

to the
View attachment 299498

Last edited:
oh man my grammar was terrible in last post. FIXED hopefully. But I am sure there are more up there

Season 2015-16
Fearless

View attachment 302744

The buses packed with players and fans alike had long gone and left the streets of Stevenage. All of Hertfordshire had expressed their delights upon the presentation of the Npower Championship Trophy. For the first time in history Stevenage had made it to the top flight. Yet soon came the world rotating as it does to address the new Barclays Premier League team with difficult questions to be answered and to rejuvenate the powerful flurry of emotions everyone knows.
Despite the odds the pundits had given the Boro, the fans still remained optimistic. Talk of the overall strength of the Stevenage squad was put under microscope, poked and prodded nearly everyday by the football community. Stevenage manager Sam Fisher would be praised with his heroic fight to the Premier League and then the next day scathed. The football worlds eyes overlooked every move the club took only expecting a mass exodus of players from the small club wandering among the giants. Press conference after press conference exerted frustrated feelings for the manager. The questions being the same everytime. “How many players are you going to bring in?” or “Where do you want to strengthen first defense, midfield or attacking?”

View attachment 302748View attachment 302747
Redknapp and Di Matteo both skeptical of Stevenage's chances

A small interview with the manager from the closely following BBC helped direct the managers goals to the fans.
BBC: So whats the next step?

Fisher: Obviously the first step will be evaluating what we need. The team will be scouted and so will potential buys be scouted. The move to the Premier League won’t be easy and as all the experts are saying we will need to reshape the squad. We already have 2 new players coming in who I signed during last years January transfer window, Marco D’Alessandro and Florian Thauvin and that is very handy. Other than that we will train harder and be stronger.

Vance Sikov was the first player to sign with Stevenage in the summer transfer window from SK Rapid Wein. His recent form had surprised many clubs, many of whom were itching to sign the veteran Macedonian. Stevenage stormed in and just the thought of playing in the Premier League became the sole purpose Sikov signed for them. (Free)

View attachment 302750
Vance Sikov (Left)

Another signing showed up at Shephalbury Park Training Ground (SPTG), Huddersfield Town’s Alex Smithies walked through the doors. Jason Steele had been expected to sign for Stevenage from Middlesborough to take the number 1 shirt in net but a recent change in heart saw the experienced Terrier become the favorite for the Stevenage shirt. (Free)

View attachment 302752
Alex Smithies

On the out table Stevenage saw two leaders leave the club as Mark Roberts and Jon Ashton both left to Birmingham City. To the fans dismay. Both players had been key to the Boro’s rise to the Premier League but, both were on the wrong side of 30 and the chances of them being tough defenders for Stevenage was slim. Both agreed they want first team football.

Roderick Miranda was next to join the Boro, from Portuguese side Lisbon Benfica for a steel of only 400K. Excited about the prospect of first team football in the famous English league Miranda couldn’t decline the oppotunity.

View attachment 302755
Roderick Miranda (Left) Happy to First team football

Next came the record signing young prospect from Crystal Palace, Jon Williams signed with Stevenage for a estimated price of 5.25M. Not long after the other million dollar another signing followed suit for 5M Lee Hodson signed to play the traditional number 2 spot of right back from the recently promoted Watford side. An interview with the BBC swiftly followed.

View attachment 302757View attachment 302756
Jon Williams (Left), Lee Hodson (Right) stunned to be offered a place on Stevenage

View attachment 302749

BBC: Will you kindly summarize your recent signings for us?

Fisher: Course. Sikov, what an excellent signing. He is an experienced well rounded player comes to the training ground everyday with a smile, just the players we are looking for. I am a little surprised Rapids didn’t renew his contract and try and keep Sikov. Smithies was a surprising bit of business. With a contract agreed with Jason Steele I had one last scan with my scouts of goalies in the same position as him: looking for a new club. Alex Smithies. The boy had played extremely well against us last season and was asking for only a fraction of the wages Steele was looking for. More experienced and a better prospect we quickly snubbed the deal with Steele who went to Southampton and shot a deal to Smithies. Miranda had been in the Benfica reserves for sometime and we have been watching last season. I had been in contact with him and he expressed the chance of first team football is what he wanted and at 24 he deserves it. A center back with power and that Portuguese flair everyone loves to see. Hodson and Williams are both extremely good players and I am surprised not to see them get snapped up by one of the Premier League sides a long time ago. Hodson is solid and his consistency is matched by no other which is what we need in our defense and Williams role as a deep lying playmaker is what we need. With Tansey potentially on the way out on either a loan or a sell, we needed to find a quick replacement and that was the first player on my list.

View attachment 302759View attachment 302758
Florian Thauvin (Left), Marco D'Alessandro (Right) detailing his new contract

No fewer than 4 players were brought into the squad on frees. Andre Wisdom, Kolo Toure, Scott Parker and Andre-Pierre Gignac all signed onto the new Premier League side. Wisdom a prospect for the future was to be a back up for the center backs along with Toure who wasn’t expected to see much first team football but, to be a solid backup in case of injury’s. Parker and Gignac were to play a role in the First team both added experience to the young side. Parker was appointed captain.

View attachment 302760View attachment 302761View attachment 302762
From Left to Right, Andre-Pierre Gignac, Scott Parker and Andre Wisdom

The preseason started well for Stevenage. Four games against smaller British sides, Southport, Hereford, Bishop Stortford and Bury. The games were for the younger players to prove what role they were to play during the season for Fisher. FC Groningen and Palermo were to practice for the BPL where the more established first team players would learn to work together.

Southport fell 2-1 to Stevenage, Hereford gave the same score line. During the games Wisdom shone he kept the threats from the opposition to low count and pumped the ball forward for the attackers. Stortford was a goal bonanza 8-1 Pedersen getting 4 of them. Watt, Freeman and Alessandro getting the others.

Groningen was a hard match Stevenage would score then the Dutch team would reply the score line eventually finishing at 5-4 to Stevenage. The fight was there for Stevenage and they deserved the win. Thauvin scoring the pick of the goals with an absolute screamer from far.

Next game Palermo. They got a goal quick for the side in the first 10 minutes but the game was back and forth from there on. Shots were taken and chances were missed a close battle but Palermo won 1-0.

So the Preseason had finished and the first match for Stevenage in the Premier League was against last years winners Arsenal at the under construction Broadway Hall. The game went well for Stevenage. Fisher had stated his goal for the match was to show their intent of staying up this season and being a credited a threat to any teams objectives.

Kick off and the first half was solid. Although Arsenal had most of the possession. In the shot department Stevenage had more on goal. Using a solid defense of Hodson, Mendy, Miranda and Wisdom the Boro was able to hit Arsenal on the counter surprising the commentators at the creativity and intelligence of each play. On the 76th minute, Andre Schurrle scored. In the face of defeat Stevenage carried on with the game plan and a number of other attempts from the Boro failed. 1-0 to Arsenal.

Post match conference.

Reporter: That was a spirited defeat, how crucial was that game for your side?

Fisher: It was the deciding game to see how our season ahead will go. The game proved we won’t be brushed aside like many other promoted teams are.

Reporter: Your first game in the Premier league how does it feel?

Fisher: Amazing the atmosphere feels different, everything feels different but in its own better way.

Next fixture away from home saw Stevenage winning 2-0 after Gignac doubled the score line on the 71st minute, which Alessandro had started on the 39th. Both goals nothing wonderful but they did the job. Darren Bent. The striker struck at the Boro’s complacency and inexperience. Final score being a 2-2 draw, Bent scoring in the final extra time minute. The Boro fans left happy with the draw but upset that the squad couldn’t hold onto the scoreline and win the match.

Bristol Rovers were swept away in the COC by the mainly Boro reserves side. 1-0 Stevenage. Fulham were the first to lose to the Boro in the Premier League. 5-3 a cracking game where motivation brought the Boro above the Cottagers. Pedersen, Parker, Williams, Alessandro and Thauvin all scoring.

The end of the Transfer window came and Lorenzo Tassi from Inter came on loan and Thorgan Hazard came on loan from Chelsea both adding depth to the forward. Yunus Malli joined from Mainz for 400K. The Turk was seen as prospect for the future and a good reserve. For departures, Tansey went on loan to Charlton for the season, Nelson and Akins left to Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday for an estimated 3M together. Jake Taylor also left to Wrexham although his form was good he was seen as deadweight and not good enough for the Premier League.

View attachment 302768View attachment 302769View attachment 302770
From left to right, Yunus Malli, Thorgan Hazard and Lorenzo Tassi

Everton and West Ham next. Everton gave a match to Stevenage at Goodison Park where the scoreline ended 2-1 to Everton, Thauvin scoring the Boro’s only goal. A draw was in the books against West Ham away. 3-3 a fun match to watch where quality between the two sides couldn’t be separated. Pedersen and Freeman scoring with an own goal from Allan McGregor.

Revenge against the Villains came as Stevenage stormed through them 3-0 in the COC. Two from Lingard and one from Gignac.

Into October Stevenage were sitting in a respectable 12th place. Games against Swansea, Manchester City, Wigan, Leicester (COC) and Tottenham. WLDWL the pattern went. Underachieving Swansea continued their poor form at Broadway Hall as the exceptional player Thauvin continued his amazing shows scoring both goals in the 2-1 match.

View attachment 302771
​Young optimists

City was a match to forget as the Boro squad looked too limp with no life in any chances. Pedersen as a sub on the 70th minute scored in injury time the only consolation in the match at home. 2-1 to City.

During October star midfielder Williams was injured with a double Hernia in training and was predicted to be out for 2 months a big loss for Stevenage.

November and December were difficult but successful months for Stevenage. Draws with Newcastle and Liverpool gave confidence to the club even through the loss against Chelsea. Wolves (COC and BPL), Norwich, Forest and Reading didn’t put up a fight all losing to the Boro.

The boxing day special was against Manchester United and at Old Trafford. A pre match press conference was held.

Reporter: Merry Christmas. What is the plan today against the Title contenders?

Fisher: Merry Christmas to all of you! We will stick with the same football we have been playing all year. Working the ball and exploiting chances. The boys live for games like this I am sure all of them have watched the Devils as kids and heave dreamt of these games.

Reporter: Wouldn’t this be a great christmas present to beat the Reds?

Fisher: Yes it would not only for me but, for the fans too!

Wayne Rooney opened up the scoring on the 36th minute to the fans distress. Gignac quickly replied less than ten minutes later. 1-1 at half time and the team went into the dressing room where they heard the passionate speech of their manager. They went back out onto the history riddled stadium. On the 76th the unexpected happened experienced captain Scott Parker got an early bath. And Van Persie quickly capitalized on the 10 man squad scoring 2 minutes later. 2-1 to United. The tactics Fisher had opted to use did not work.

Four days later the same score line was copied as Arsenal won again 2-1 at the Emirates. Into the new year and half way through the season Stevenage were sitting in an unexpected 8th place. More money was freed up to the Stevenage manager as season expectations moved from staying up to a mid table finish.

The first game of the year was against Grimsby in the FA Cup and next against Hull in the COC semi final. Both teams lost, Grimsby (1-0) offering a better fight than Hull who lost 4-0 to the premier league side.

In the Premier League Aston Villa was the first team to play Stevenage in 2016. 2-1 goals from Freeman and Mendy. The came Fulham who redeemed themselves with 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage. Gignac the scorer.

View attachment 302772
Gignac wheeling away in Jubilation

Second round against Hull led Stevenage onto the first Final in COC in history on an aggregation of 6-3 where they would play City for the cup.

On transfer news Amedeo Gambardella (regen) a young Italian midfielder from Juventus U18 joined for 1.5M and Declan Quick (regen) from MK Dons joined for 2.7M. Both players were bought for more depth in the squad and brighter future.

After January the Boro’s form continued beating Everton, West Ham and Swansea. Miranda’s good form had been the building blocks for the squads confidence. His confident tackles and ability in set pieces became the talking point of many pundits. Gesturing him to be the signing of the season for less than half a million he was seen as a complete bargain, competing against Michu’s signing to Swansea only a few years ago.

View attachment 302773
Content Miranda

Other players on good form were Mendy and the formidable Thauvin. Mendy had been in the top three young players of the month every month. His ability to overlap and score had seen him also in the top three goals of the month twice. Thauvin what more could anyone say he is quality for the Stevenage side.

On the 20th of February not only did the fans praise the long time managers Birthday but a game that will go down in Stevenage history.

View attachment 302774
Players gave this to Fisher, Cheeky sods.

Manchester City at Wembley. With the captain injured some reshuffling in the midfield was to happen. Starting Line for Stevenage: GK Smithies, RB Hodson, CB Miranda, CB Sikov, LB Mendy, CM Tassi, CM Gambardella, AMR Alessandro, AMC Thauvin, AML Freeman, ST Gignac.

Kick off and City quickly showed there dominance. A lovely run from Andre Ayew put City in front on the 38th. The break came and the motivating talk happened. A quick reply with a great ball from young Italian Gambardella sought out unmarked Thauvin which he placed into the bottom left corner 13 minutes into the second half. The talk saw the team working the ball around the pitch perfectly. A silly goal kick from City got Gignac ahead of the defenders in a one on one versus city goalie Enyeama. Gignac cleanly chipped the ball over the keeper into the back of the net.

Stevenage very much looked like they were going to win, when City replied with a wonderfully crafted counter saw Aguero volley a ball past Smithies.

The game went into extra time. Neither team could get on over each other which pushed the game into penalties. First penalty and Ayew’s powerful shot was saved by Smithies. Giving Stevenage one over the Citizens. The last penalty came, City with 4/5 penalties in and the Boro with 4/4, it was up to Wisdom if he scored they would win the Cup if he missed or Enyeama saved a new round of penalties would start. Wisdom calmly stepped up and slotted it past the keeper. The crowd went nuts. Stevenage were Capital One Cup Champions try saying that 3 times as fast. Post Match Conference.

Reporter: What a birthday present for you!

Fisher: Yeah you should have seen what they gave me earlier. But I am absolutely delighted with the great win!

Reporter: Your players praised your approach at half time. What exactly did you say?

Fisher: I just told them as I saw it. They all have immense quality and have what it takes to win. Go out there and give it your all. And they did.

Three days later and Stevenage crept past a hard Blackpool side in the FA Cup 5th round on penalties. The next game against City on the 27th of February saw them get revenge 2-0 to City in the BPL.

In March Tottenham again fought off Stevenage to win 3-1. But only a week later Stevenage beat 2-1 to Wigan retaining there spot up the top half of the table.

A series of draws followed as the Baggies managed a 1-1 draw as did, Newcastle and Tottenham (FA Cup 6th round). Liverpool were the only team to beat the Boro during the handful of draws.

The cup team, Tottenham managed to beat Stevenage in the second round of the 6th 2-0. The fans were hoping for success in the FA Cup as they did in the Capital One but, it wasn’t to be.

Stevenage finished April with a draw to Norwich and a win against Forest. Reading were the last opponents before the final month of the Premier League.

Reading opened up the scoring on the 19th with a beautiful shot from range after a corner and as always Stevenage replied. Mendy with another one of his sneaky overlaps. After half Thauvin put Stevenage on top with a poachers effort after the Reading goalie failed to clear Williams scorcher. A lucky free kick from Reading’s Cresswell saw the final goal of the game ending 2-2 Reading being the happier side.

The last three games of the season Chelsea, Wolves and Manchester United. These games would be crucial for the Boro as the mid table was a tightly contested area. 2-2 with Chelsea was a more than acceptable finish. Gignac and Alessandro putting in the goals Stevenage needed the effort was greatly appreciated. Wolves also put up a fight as a battle raged between the two clubs. The game was decided early into the second half when Willams scored for the Boro. 3-2 to Stevenage Gignac scoring two.

Manchester United at home was predicted to be an easy win for Guardiola’s men. A pre match meeting was held at Stevenage, a new idea Fisher had come up with in the past weeks to deal with United. With Sikov, Parker and Hodson injured this meant a change to the regular 11. The team meeting proceeded

Fisher: In 3 days we play United. All of you know that and I know some of you think we will lose but I have a better idea. This will be the Starting line up. Smithies as per usual you will start, Toure as Hodson is injured you will be play right back, center backs Miranda and Wisdom. Left back my french Medley *with a wink*. Dunne you and Williams will be in the midfield. Alessandro, Thauvin, Freeman and Gignac you in the attack. Now then onto formation, we are going to use an odd one for United. Instead of our regular 4-2-3-1 we are going to use a similar but, completely different formation 4-2-2-2. As always the back four will the stay the same and Mendy you will do your usual wizardry of overlapping. In the midfield we will have Dunne and Williams in the center I want Williams to be our playmaker and Dunner your job is to be everywhere, win the ball for me out there. Thauvin you will play on the left wing and you will be working with Mendy work together and show us that french style, Alessandro you will take your usual right wing role and just play how you always do. Up front we will have Gignac and Freeman. Freeman is going to be out target man, get into space mate and work your way to the net shoot. You will link the midfield with the Attack. Gignac if theres a deflection you will be there as our poacher to finish the job. Now we all know how United play, they are smart and they work the ball into space I need the back four to be ruthless let nothing past, play deeper and more rigid. When you have the ball back look to pass to Williams he will start our play up. Remember Dunne you are there to assist the Defenders as well as the Attackers so if the back four look like they are having a hard time, help them out. Slower tempo boys, wider play and counter attacks, think smart lads and we will win this.

Onto the match each player knew what he had to do. Dunne was also out there to play well, with his lack of first team football he expressed his desire to find it and Fisher agreed. Fisher was putting Dunne in the shop window for all to see in this match.

The whistle blew, and 11 minutes in Freeman found the net. 10 minutes later saw Dunne find the net from Mendy who delivered an early floating cross onto Dunne’s head. After half time Freeman tripled the lead, United had no reply. To finish the route for Freeman Stevenage were awarded a penalty on the 88th by Chris Smalling. Freeman stepped up and walked away with the match ball. 4-0 to Stevenage. What a way to end the season. The end season press conference sent off the squad and fans with a smile.

View attachment 302779
Freeman celebrated

Reporter: Your team finishes the season in some style hey?

Fisher: Had to didn’t we, we let United beat us at their home now we return the favor.

Reporter: The pundits at the start of the season left with some discouraging odds and you proved them wrong again, how does it feel to sit in 8th place?

Fisher: I told that lot we aren’t going down, they just didn’t listen. Maybe their expertise escaped them (with a wink).

Reporter: How excited are you to get the squad its first taste of out of country competitions? like the European Cup you won qualification to for next season.

Fisher: It will be great the squad really deserves it for the performance they gave this season.

Reporter: Recent rumors have suggested that Liverpool are looking to you to be the next manager to take ranks there after Harry Redknapp’s reign comes to end as he retires, is this true?

Fisher: It is. Every club that has a history like Liverpool would tempt any manager and I mean any. Right now though I am not done what I set out to do with Stevenage maybe once I feel I have fulfilled my dream I will find a new challenge, but who know?

Reporter: One last question.... *interrupted*

Fisher: .... Cardiff and Scunthorpe, I always favor the underdog you know that.

And with the estimation of who will win playoffs in the lower divisions over the conference finished.

And so the season ended for Stevenage and onto next season Fisher eyes move.

Premier League
Winners: Manchester City 84pts
Top 4: Manchester United 80pts, Arsenal 75pts, Chelsea 70pts
Top 6: Liverpool 66pts, Stoke 65pts
Relegated: Fulham 34pts, Nottingham Forest 33pts, Wigan 24pts

Npower Championship
Winners: Sunderland 99pts, 2nd: Derby 90pts
Playoff: Cardiff, runners up: Bolton
Relegated: Crewe 43pts, Leicester 42pts, Bristol City 39pts

Npower League 1
Winners: Bristol Rovers 86pts, 2nd Crystal Palace 85pts
Playoff: Millwall, runners up: Scunthorpe
Relegated: Bournemouth, Carlisle, Preston, Bradford

Npower League 2
Promoted: Plymouth, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, Notts County
Relegated: Fleetwood, Luton town

European Champions Cup: Barcelona
Euro Cup: Liverpool
FA Cup: Sunderland O.O wow
Capital One Cup: Stevenage Yahoooo

Last edited:
From now on the seasons will be split into two reports. The first one will be before the january transfer window.

Again if anyone has any questions such as tactics, etc. I would love to answer them. Plus it would be nice to see who actually follows this story :)

Stevenage 2016-17 Season
Changes and Challenges​

The life of a manager these days is all to often covered up with fortune and fame. Being a part of the great sport of football is a triumph in itself. The atmosphere of being within a game, being a major clog in the structure of a game is what many dream of. Through this though the day to day job of a manager is seen as an easy and wealthy position, this is a mistake. Stress and despair go hand in hand with delight and elation. For the Stevenage manager Sam Fisher his life has been filled with both of these at certain times. Some say luck is what has got him this far and others say it is skill. In his own eyes it is a bit of both. Luck has brought him to the position and luck has helped along the way. From promotion to promotion and loss to win, Fisher has become one the youngest and most influential managers in the game to date.

There is never a time when Fisher is not thinking about football in one way or another, and so it happens in the fourth season of his reign. New faces and new expectations for the season at hand come. The pundits were left astonished by the form of the North London club and so the new words on their lips is whether this is just luck that has taken the club so far or skill and determination.

The new season kicked off with the usual training camp for the club. This time in Portugal, the home of famous players such as Ronaldo and Pepe.

As usual fans were investing on incoming transfers, outgoing transfers and table predictions. Guesses accompanied by media knowledge and press conferences from the managers. Fisher was the first to comment on the season.

Fisher: The squad looked good last season and I wouldn’t expect to see as many transfers within the club as we have the past few seasons. A few will come in to provide competition but, the only real place I am looking to bolster options is up top.

And on that note Christian Benteke came in from Aston Villa for an estimated 2.5m. Along with two others that weren’t really expected to play much of a role in the first team. Alphonse Areola and Johnny Cassidy. Areola a goalkeeper from PSG who was seen as a solid potential back up and Cassidy a young Aussie central Defender.

With the snag of Benteke many managers and experts were left surprised. Benteke was criticized as strong striker but, not first team material. Surely this wasn’t to be their first team striker. Fisher quickly fired back.

Fisher: I do not understand all the baffle about Benteke. He is an extremely reliable player and I am really surprised that Villa had offered him out to clubs. When they did though I was the quickest to respond.

Only four days later another signing came in. The Boro looking to get a head start on the competition. Ibrahim Sissoko joined from Liverpool for an estimated 4.2m. A little more than half the price Liverpool spent on him last season. Sissoko would add the competition to the wingers that Fisher had stated in his season opening press conference.

Before the end of June Stevenage had seen the most activity of all the clubs in the league. One last signing and no less than ten departures. Keith Warren a young American striker from D.C United joined for around 9m. A fierce battle between Stevenage and Marseille had been won for his signature. The striker had been impressing the MLS in the past few seasons and at only the age of 22 he was estimated to be one of the best players to come out of the league. Winning the league in 2014. He would add the other option to the striking force.

Moving on from the Boro: Pedersen, Dunne, Kean, Sanchez, McGivern and Olazabal. The transfers did bring in a fair amount of money for the club though. Ten million was estimated to have come in. A nice smile was seen on the faces of the chairmen.

At last on the first day of July the Boro could unveil their two Free Transfers. Eric Mathoho coming from Kaiser Chiefs to add to the central defense and leadership. Francis Coquelin a midfielder left out of the Arsenal squad. Coquelin added an active work horse power to the midfield. Providing that tackling annoyance in the midfield.

Hereford the Stevenage feeder club was the first game for the Boro manager to see his new signings in action. A comfortable 4-0 win for the Boro. Sissoko, Benteke, Mathoho all scored in there first game. Benteke with the usual powerful shot, Sissoko with a skilled run and Mathoho with a strong header. Thauvin stepped up for the last goal that the Boro fans had become comfortable seeing from him.

Tomas Kalas joined next from Chelsea to bring more options in the defense especially on the right. Glenn Koppelaar (regen) came on loan from Ajax as a back up for Mendy. Lorenzo Tassi had impressed Fisher last year so he rejoined on another loan. That settled the bulk of the first team options. Only three others came in as reserves.

The rest of the preseason went well for Stevenage. 4-1 at Bishop Stortford, two from Benteke, one from Lingard and one from Koppelaar. Benteke proving everyone wrong so far. The only other friendly was against Nacional da Madeira as Stevenage was qualifying for the Europa.

Bnei Yehuda the first team in the Europa qualifying stage. The teams clashed with both games marked as a win for the Boro. An aggregation of 10-5 was the final score. After the second game the Premier League kicked off with the first game at home against West Brom.

Characteristically West Brom didn’t offer a challenge. 2-0 to Stevenage Benteke and Warren the scorers for the Boro. Fisher answered questions from the press afterwards.

Reporter: First game of the season done, thoughts?

Fisher: A good solid win against the Baggies. Poor buggers still can’t get one over us.

Reporter: Have you heard the speculation of whether this is just luck, the run Stevenage have been on?

Fisher: I have and my answer is we will see.

The next two games for Stevenage were against Helsingborg in the Europa continuing the qualifying stage. An aggregation of 6-1 to Stevenage Warren scoring two, along with Thauvin with another two, and Freeman and Mathoho scored the other two. Stevenage drew Lille, Maritimo and Celtic in their group for the Europa. A decent group which would test the young side on their capabilities to push on in the competition. Fisher related the same ideas in a press conference.

Fisher: The group we have drawn in the Europa is good one. Lille, Celtic and Maritimo are all quality sides and will issue hard games. This group will show whether we have the quality to push on.

The next game was against Norwich in the BPL. The game kicked off and the comments from the reporter after the Baggies game seemed to have pronounced themselves. 2-0 in the first half Norwich went. Desperation to keep heads up turned into a passionate speech towards the Stevenage squad at half time. A miracle followed. 4-2 Stevenage. Benteke, Alessandro and Gambardella finding a win for Stevenage.

Stoke City gave the first loss of 2-1. A flat game where neither side really looked better than the other, Jon Williams scoring his first goal of the season during the boring game. Not the outcome the supporters were looking for.

The first win of the Europa group stage came for Stevenage against Lille 1-0 another flat looking game with Freeman getting the only goal in the 1st minute of play a flukey shot from range. The overall quality of the Stevenage side looked weak. More speculation followed.

In the COC Newcastle went to extra time with the Boro only to lose 3-1. Goals from Freeman, Kalas and Thauvin. An interview with the manager afterwards.

BBC: Your team has got off to a nice start you must be proud?

Fisher: Oh I am but, there is still much to be done and it is only early in the season. I have been worried about the team though. The wins are good but in some games the team doesn’t look like they are even concentrating on the task.

After the conference doubt set in. Perhaps the choice of words from the young manager was rash. West Ham beat Stevenage 3-2. Newcastle fought for a 3-3 draw. Tottenham dominated the young squad 2-0. Luck seemed to have taken a new direction.

The Celtic match was pure chaos ending 4-4. Both teams had the lead at some point but neither could be separated in the end. A quick bounce back from an also struggling side in the COC against Liverpool saw Stevenage edge out the Merseyside club 1-0.

Manchester United quickly cut the cheers short with yet another loss. 1-0 things weren’t going well for Stevenage sitting in the relegation zone. The Boro was fine in every competition except the BPL. Which was seen as the most important to the supporter

Team meetings were held and a reaction was seen. 1-0 to Stevenage against Villa and Swansea. Followed by a draw with Lille and revenge against United. Beating the Reds in a penalty shootout in the COC. An absolute heroic battle Freeman dubbed as the MOM showing class and determination.

The next games retained Stevenage just above the relegation zone. 2-1 to Chelsea, 2-1 to Stevenage against Cardiff, 1-1 with Liverpool and 3-2 to Arsenal. The losses were expected, Arsenal were in good form sitting just under City and the win brought them above. Where City lost to the surprising Derby side who were in 8th in their first season. Many expected the Rams form to drop. A good side but after a string of bad performances they were to drop.

On December 11th 2016, A press conference was held at Broadway Hall.

Fisher: Today I release some news I am sure all of you will be shocked about and so am I to put it frank. It was a quick decision. Not one I will regret but, not one I will enjoy. I have put four long hard seasons of work into this club to shape it to my preferences but I have been offered a new job. This job is probably one of the hardest in footballs history and I have decided to take the challenge. As you all know there have been some clubs that you wouldn’t expect having a hard time in their campaigns right now. Liverpool being the one that has offered me the job. I do not mean to offend anyone by taking this job. I want you all to know this club will always be my number one and you supporters will always be number one. So I am here today hoping that I can leave the club on good terms with the possibility to coming back in the future. At my age though I still tons of time in my career and I hope to come back during my managerial career. I know my leaving could have happened at a better time but, in the sport you all know there is no preference on what time.

So I decided to move to ultimately move to Liverpool because I felt the story would be a good one. The current state of Liverpool will be posted in my new thread.