The man between the sticks - BAP Story of Alex Roy

Davey Jones

Reaction score
"If you're a goalkeeper, it doesn't matter what you save the ball with;
if you keep it out, it's not a goal."
-Mark Lawrenson

Bmi39l0gWptq9f_bOllaQlUcaBob2v9wNsMxoFHfqCNKNgCC0YG1CVyCXKv0ZyEQu1vKritMj6Yl1Uem7d3Kob9VoXiTCWCNSlgDmDaG56gDO9aaA29Rm8cgYwAm7pIFaRB95vWf

Welcome to my new BAP Story for FM16, this time I will be focusing on the man in the goal. I hope you will enjoy reading and following this story as I will enjoy spinning a story about Alex Roy, Canadian goalkeeper and maybe a future superstar.

View attachment 171599View attachment 171596
Montreal Impact promote talented Alex Roy

Montreal Gazette | January 1, 2015

Impact GM(General Manager) confirmed yesterday at a press conference that Alex Roy, 17 year old goalkeeper has been promoted from reserves into the first team for the upcoming Major League Soccer season. This caps a remarkable rise for Roy, just having made the step up to reserves last season after joining the academy as a 13 year old.

Roy was born in Quebec City to an English father who was a Sunday League soccer player and a Canadian mother.

View attachment 171597

"My upbringing was great, yea my Dad was a footballer, he would love to just get out and kick the ball around, often would bring me along and I would dribble the ball around the all the guys and score a lot.

We did move to England for a while, I was about 5 when my grandfather was very sick so Dad uprooted us over to Liverpool for 4 years, but to me it was the best experience of my life, I mean I got to see Liverpool actually play!That was when I started to take soccer seriously so I started playing for school teams.

Coaches did struggle to work out what position I would be great in, I bagging a lot of goals as a striker back then! The decision to become a goalkeeper actually came when we moved back to Canada to Montreal.

I was playing for a school team for a game and they had no one in the goal, so I volunteered myself and we were playing against a bigger older team, big thugs I would say, they were literally kicking the **** out of us and were peppering the goal with a lot of shots, but none went in. I was just throwing myself at every single shot and somehow kept all them out.

My father was watching this game and said to me this after the game,"Son, that was a performance that Pepe Reina could be proud of, you should become the goalkeeper now on"

And he was right, so I played keeper for rest of that season and we won the championship. I would continue playing with them for the next few years until Montreal Impact Academy came along and asked me to join them. I actually had offers from them and other MLS teams when I was ten but I turned them down as my father believed I should have a childhood a bit before I got serious."

View attachment 171598
Roy would spend the next few years training and playing in the academy, often captaining the team on the pitch and practicing in his own time with his father. He made the step up to the reserves last year where his performances have been nothing short of amazing, leading the side to a title charge.

Now Roy has made the first team and looks to battle with Americans Eric Kronberg and Evan Bushover the starting spot.

Bush had a few words about the youngster,
"Roy is one the of best talent I have seen for some time, he is just determined to achieve his goals and he does have a bite on him out on the field,but that's what makes him a keeper, always commanding and shouting from the back. Roy does have excellent shot stopping skills, he just reacts so quickly. I think he has a great career ahead of him and looking forward to challenging him to the goalkeeping spot for the season."

When asked who his heroes were Roy listed his father, Joe Hart, Manuel Neuer and Pepe Reina.

Fans have likened Alex Roy with the great "Saint" Patrick Roy, the retired ice hockey goaltender who coincidentally is born from Quebec City.

Will he fulfill his promise over the upcoming season?

Last edited:
Remember goalkeepers are in their own world! ;) (Ex junior GK playing in wing today)

Excited to hear about a Canadian to become a superstar! Can't wait for more.

"Being a goalkeeper is like being the guy in the military who makes the bombs
- one mistake and everyone gets blown up."
-Artur Boruc

ESPN: "Mr Roy, how did you feel pre-season went by? How are you taking the surprise that you have been included on the starting line up in 4 games ahead of your fellow team-mates?"

ROY: "I have been happy to be involved in the coaches plan and the pre-season games. I am 110% committed to playing for the side and will be willing to play when he asks of me but in meantime I will focus on training and proving to him why I deserve to be chosen.

Tusla Roughnecks sure was a tough game for me and the team but that is why we need pre-seasons to set the bar for the team to achieve for the upcoming season. Only missed one game which was against Oklahoma. Other than that I have been happy to achieve two clean sheets and practicing a bit more in communicating with the defence during the draw against the reserve side. Its been a productive pre-season for everybody."

ESPN: "What are you goals for this season?"

ROY:
"Well obliviously challenge for the starting spot and win the MLS! Rookie of the Year would be nice too."

ESPN:
"Well thanks for taking the time and good luck for your first game."

Upcoming Fixtures

View attachment 171540

Debut
egAVxvr5psXDNrD6N8hbODhPzXDmDT8sINuGmOVFHX0PM5sK1Ar_1VbhAiLwrQkPUjIJzAM5qiT-xMLDach8Rm14gWOT6ZmZsWtOV2WSmWgdeeeDKsDBuZ8y1N3-xUfmp0tFzzAl

"Alex Roy begins his professional career, starting against DC United as No.1"

View attachment 171538
View attachment 171523
45 |
Defence left Rolfe unmarked going onto goal so Roy had no choice but to go off line to narrow down the chances and Rolfe still finds the net, putting the ball past Roys left side.

View attachment 171522
73 | Espindola receives a pass in the box and Roy, already moving was out of reach to prevent the shot going in.

Alex Roy Stats

View attachment 171531
Pas(Passes attempted) Cmp(Completed passes) Svh(Saves handled) Svp(Saves parried) Shb(Shots blocked) Cnc(Conceded) Dfk(Defended free kicks)

Match Stats

View attachment 171530
View attachment 171524

ESPN:
"What did you think off Alex Roy's debut tonight?"

Manager: "Thought Roy did alright tonight, made some good saves and handled his debut well, they are never easy. Roy was at no fault for the two goals, just needed better communication among the defence."

Last edited:
Canada comes calling...

ifgYvC2R2CvqG8-dsCHlVi0G7Hat0sgsXZmKlKkXkuBmYJIbZWq-iZcDbkxePQOCrFY24PuaPBlHGs_NCnZ1vv3SpusAdFUrfgkjUoJomKNleWVlBUHpd5ul9A0a9wsXeodkVX9F

Montreal Gazette | March 20, 2015

Shock inclusion for Alex Roy who only just made his first professional appearance a few days ago for Montreal Impact as he is called up to the Senior squad for the Cuba friendly.

View attachment 171521

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

1F7leV8q7Ss9sfl3bG-l3-3kACTXAvdsJekNnb-01yvYeW_0Il89EZu-YJHBVPCWfZIPSgCZn2mSDHix16tnYdMJQ2hDmcyu9LRJxkagBe2OIKuOsEwxkGz8xLlbmOlN-6WI97sl
yE-1t6kFt5CarmpXTSPC2-V0_mnblbpfGNumd6phl0-Cqu1n1PyucFRGSo7qDztjimumo1N8AG2f2y3P3AekM59RYf3yLEIHyjBQGTnVBDPHzgLLDnWpAFYCsMPIj2Bk9WP__wHH

Was named No.1 again for game against New England.

View attachment 170530
View attachment 170528Pas(Passes attempted) Cmp(Completed passes) Svh(Saves handled) Svp(Saves parried) Shb(Shots blocked) Cnc(Conceded) Dfk(Defended free kicks)

W_e0tRqMcH8Zm9pUYpldvS8Bb01NYaqMdInpxIsNdWePPMNBRyrApXUcRW5czfou2LSLxeAuyQK6ylSvioQjGerQvcB5qHH5_LlP4c4Uxj--vcZDwGQBb1roOWDZ92OlCD1JDXmp

Average game for Roy, did the job expected of him

ifgYvC2R2CvqG8-dsCHlVi0G7Hat0sgsXZmKlKkXkuBmYJIbZWq-iZcDbkxePQOCrFY24PuaPBlHGs_NCnZ1vv3SpusAdFUrfgkjUoJomKNleWVlBUHpd5ul9A0a9wsXeodkVX9F

Canada Debut

pH7f3l5EfdOjQxBRqgZ2ieg1a78QIY5H7iO5e4n-6Hppo7TnxlWr2-iYhy8_1HEq9IoyiI2ZPWjmDmNhqD_Mcu0cMwXsI5UlfD6PNC6hFSQSAeaoXEkRPFDrOPuu8DcN6mkGknWj

Montreal Gazette: Mr Roy, what has been your reaction to finding out that you have been named the No.2 goalkeeper for Canada against Cuba?

Roy: Unbelievable, I came into the team just expecting to learn the set up and not really be involved on match day but I am happy to be on the bench and cheering on the team mates. This is what I have dreamed off since I was a kid.​

View attachment 170526
View attachment 170519
W_e0tRqMcH8Zm9pUYpldvS8Bb01NYaqMdInpxIsNdWePPMNBRyrApXUcRW5czfou2LSLxeAuyQK6ylSvioQjGerQvcB5qHH5_LlP4c4Uxj--vcZDwGQBb1roOWDZ92OlCD1JDXmp

Roy entered the pitch on the 73rd minute for his debut to the applause of the home crowd, who in return clapped to the crowd as he walked to the goal posts. For 17 minutes Roy only made one save as Canada saw out a draw against Cuba. Roy ended the game with an average rating of 6.7

View attachment 170518
Meanwhile back in MLS

Montreal Impact lose again....

View attachment 170517

"As a goalkeeper you need to be good at organising
the people in front of you and motivating them.
You need to see what's going on and react to the threats.
Just like a good manager in business."
- Peter Shilton

OCtMkE1bgNPacfkd8FBRzulerdXUUuFwNq5u5Sk4wlotOzXZWB1jay-sMPCja-S8WNd5-pXf3l0ujwEtGUfJA0-lg2tA8l4WEED6lJI6gCr53KtTAQlaEY1be_21YEgk_nYrCwIE

ESPN Soccer News with Steve and Jerry

View attachment 169963

Jerry: Welcome to Soccer News on ESPN, I am Jerry and this is Steve on my right. Tonight we are continuing our half season reviews on MLS clubs and we take a look at Montreal Impact.

Steve: Right, I will have to be honest with you guys, Impact are playing very poorly, 2 wins, 6 draws and 9 losses which sees them rooted to the bottom in their conference plus the Supporters' Shield. I think you will agree with me Jerry, they will not make the playoffs this season.

Jerry:
You are right Steve as Impact do need to put on a winning run in next 17 games, but I can't see that happening despite efforts of Didier Drogba and Dominic Oduro. Rookie Alex Roy has been playing okay in the goal despite the sloppy defence in front of him coupled with a weak midfield who have failed to impose themselves on matches. Roy has certainly helped the team pick up points and keeping the team in matches. Its been unlucky that they have loss many.

Steve: Lets bring up Alex Roy stats, 3 clean sheets in 15 games, 1 man of match in the draw against Chicago which Roy made 3 crucial saves to keep Montreal in the game. Average rating of 6.76 is not spectacular but with 77% shots saved for a rookie its not bad as he is consistently in the top 10 across the goalkeeping stats in the league.

View attachment 169960
View attachment 169961

Jerry:
You know he got called up to Canada for a friendly a month ago but he had to pull out due to a finger injury which was a shame. Also aside from Montreal Impacts miserable MLS campaign they are in the final of Canadian Championship against Toronto FC after scraping past FC Edmonton on away goals.

View attachment 169955

Steve:
I think they won't win the cup, considering they already lost against Toronto by 3 goals a couple weeks ago. With that mental upper hand Toronto should win the cup no doubt. Also the caretaker manager Biello has been forced to step down as Montreal are looking for a person willing to turn around the squads fortunes.

View attachment 169949

Last edited:
"The joy of seeing Yuri Gargarin flying in space is only superseded by the joy of a good penalty save."
- Lev Yashin

View attachment 167213
Toronto FC win the Canadian Cup

Montreal Gazette | August 29, 2015

Its over for the boys at Impact following the 2nd leg loss in the Canadian Cup Final. The four goals by Jozy Altidore in the first leg were enough for Toronto FC to cement their lead going into today's match.

1st Leg Result

View attachment 167220

Match Report for Alex Roy: Rating: 6.5 and three saves made. Not at fault for the goals.

2nd Leg Result
View attachment 167219

Match Report for Alex Roy: Rating: 6.4 and two critical saves made.

Despite efforts from the new manager the team continue their poor run of no wins in 8 matches

View attachment 167218

In other news Montreal Impact goalkeeper Alex Roy and midfielder Kyle Bekker have been called up to the Canadian squad for friendlies against Paraguay and Algeria.​

Last edited:
"Long Assist"

QH1IQfphwVqs5Hk8yBassmuxp7RLYunboJLTlBNkhNOgEwUwsO6b6bENZzyVcuwDn_i5Nzziedm_He5NSO8GP65WFsqs0ByxQYkafX--XPTO6W7-tqvN2nEgrY5hLyj3NUqBxzYL

Alex Roy called up for the friendlies.

View attachment 166900
i4te6pbIgtX09CPTYC0bsQhVlx2NTNfiIfnu0PH1MGFp_XGfIS-hitSvzunb5BqpcVJM9u8sWr7EcHr-DyhSD0PAoELxJMq5WECyok2ylTAl3Rp9tqENsAtdAxzxptaeJKbqkUDT

View attachment 166897
Starting against Paraguay

View attachment 166898
Roys assist to Ferguson from the back!

View attachment 166899
View attachment 166895
Good game for Roy despite conceding 2, provided a crucial assist from the back.

lnI1kdocIk9jNIfioqZ7g4oT42G9CvZbgV7FpbKdZTvqZTt1mfmAzbfQx0OglbFQt1v4O2pddahiV13yFMGtTNhPL4tWyxuLnTZZe2f35N7eUuqWbVFyYXIvOIvWxfaDhAWqRz4x

View attachment 166896
Started again against Algeria

View attachment 166893
Left the goalmouth wide open for Slimani

View attachment 166892
View attachment 166894

Average game for Alex Roy​

Again something different with a goalkeeper BAP story! Looks like Roy needs to get away from Montreal Impact asap!

View attachment 166254
Canada Rio '16 Olympic qualifying campaign all over

Montreal Gazette | October 16, 2015

Alex Roy's involvement for the Canadian U-23's is all but over as Canada crashed out after a 2-1 to Honduras defeat for the 3rd Place. Roy was not involved in the match but had performances in the group games.

View attachment 166264

Roy was involved in the build up to the 3rd Place Playoff, only missing out on the first match against Panama which Canada lost 1-0.

View attachment 166260
Roy made the line up against U.S.A, getting a match rating of 6.6 and making vital saves to keep U.S.A at bay for most of the match.

View attachment 166258
Roy started against Cuba, getting a match rating of 6.6 again, making only two saves and conceding 3.

View attachment 166257
View attachment 166256
View attachment 166262
Canada got drawn against Mexico and Roy was selected in the line up. Unfortunately the team under performed with Roy making few saves but made a key mistake and conceded two to see Canada knocked out to the Third Place Play-off which in turn they lost. Match Rating of 6.7

View attachment 166255