The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date
  • Replies 3K
  • Views 232K
Like who was in Van Dijk for that price? Liverpool had no competition and they still shoot themselves in the foot.
Mind that foot healed and its stronger than ever, but it was one of the funniest self-raising prices we've ever seen.

Who are those 2 clubs Scouse?

Like who was in Van Dijk for that price? Liverpool had no competition and they still shoot themselves in the foot.
Mind that foot healed and its stronger than ever, but it was one of the funniest self-raising prices we've ever seen.

Who are those 2 clubs Scouse?

For £55 million? Your own club for one along with every other top English side. . But van Dijk made it openly known that there was only one club and one manager he wanted to play for.

That is a fact whether you choose to believe it or not.

L'pool and Madrid.

For £55 million? Your own club for one along with every other top English side. . But van Dijk made it openly known that there was only one club and one manager he wanted to play for.

That is a fact whether you choose to believe it or not.

L'pool and Madrid.
84.65 million euros, dont know how much that is in pounds.
Only other club that was interested at that price point was Chelsea and Van Dijk had no intentions going there.
You aint gonna out-money RM.

Also, just for fun, if Liverpool lands Mbappe, I'll put a picture of him in Liverpool kit for whole season.

I don't believe I ever said you did? But Bujaka did.
I based it on those cheaky hints he was throughing out.

Hence the question Salah or Mane.

Pool wont be up to spend so much. Firmino might be sold but he wont be bringing in so much. Wijnaldum is out this summer, Milner is not getting younger. On current trajection missing out CL will also be a big hit.
Even if u make for the CL money it might not be enough to make the pull. Props if you manage to pull Mbappe, but definetly dont see Pool as top 2 teams who might get him.

84.65 million euros, dont know how much that is in pounds.
Only other club that was interested at that price point was Chelsea and Van Dijk had no intentions going there.

Also, just for fun, if Liverpool lands Mbappe, I'll put a picture of him in Liverpool kit for whole season.

It was initially £55 million. Rubbing it in Southampton's face publicly before they announced it, after they were already P off they couldn't have an 'auction', ended up costing L'pool another £20 million and 5 months.

Neither here nor there to me what you believe. But I'm safe in that knowledge, as I have been right from the Middlesbrough last game CL qualification on h when it was done saying such on here before the transfer broke, that every other club was flat out told not to bother as he made it known he only wanted one. And EVERY other big club was into him.

Mbappe isn't all about money either. (Not that we or his endorsement with Nike lack in that.). But I'd let it play out.

..... Pool wont be up to spend so much. Firmino might be sold but he wont be bringing in so much. Wijnaldum is out this summer, Milner is not getting younger. On current trajection missing out CL will also be a big hit.
Even if u make for the CL money it might not be enough to make the pull. Props if you manage to pull Mbappe, but definetly dont see Pool as top 2 teams who might get him.

There's a lot of 'myths' about Fenway and L'pool's finances/ reach. But we'll leave that at that.

Just wanted to quote that to say I am not sure Wijnaldum's going anywhere. (He's never so much as intimated he wants to leave and Barcelona are seemingly off the market now.). But we'll see.

*Edit* Oh, related to the first line, missing the CL for a season doesn't affect anything. (Save for Mbappe. Then that gets trickier.) We aren't built like Arsenal or Tottenham where a year out is a financial disaster.

Nobody would have to be sold. I seriously doubt it would affect any top players coming in knowing it would only be a one-season deal out. And the undeniable lure of the manager. Finances wouldn't be affected. They've just recouped all the pandemic loss to start with another piece put in place.

This will be, or should I say I firmly believe it will be, a big summer at L'pool in the market regardless of whether they are in the CL or not next season.

Last edited:
I based it on those cheaky hints he was throughing out.
I know. I was just waiting for Scouse to say it.

Hence the question Salah or Mane.

Both would be expensive, as they should. Can see PSG going for one of them if Mbappe leaves. I honestly can't see Salah leaving, Mane on the other hand...

Pool wont be up to spend so much. Firmino might be sold but he wont be bringing in so much. Wijnaldum is out this summer, Milner is not getting younger. On current trajection missing out CL will also be a big hit.
Who knows, my guess is they do have fair share of money, but missing on CL will influence some of it.

It was initially £55 million. Rubbing it in Southampton's face publicly before they announced it, after they were already P off they couldn't have an 'auction', ended up costing L'pool another £20 million and 5 months.

Neither here nor there to me what you believe. But I'm safe in that knowledge, as I have been right from the Middlesbrough last game CL qualification on h when it was done saying such on here before the transfer broke, that every other club was flat out told not to bother as he made it known he only wanted one. And EVERY other big club was into him.

Mbappe isn't all about money either. (Not that we or his endorsement with Nike lack in that.). But I'd let it play out.
Of course his not. And still Liverpool would need to break their entire transfer and wage structure to bring him in. Or - even worse, destroy themselves after his contract expires next season with even bigger wage and up front money he'll want.
And since Liverpool is already underpaying their players ( fair play for management and their handling of it) imagine how someone like Salah or Van Dijk would feel if someone, even Mbappe, came into the club with 2 or 3 times the wage they have. Oh boy.

Both would be expensive, as they should. Can see PSG going for one of them if Mbappe leaves. I honestly can't see Salah leaving, Mane on the other hand...

FWIW, I'd personally happily flip Sadio for 4 or 5 years of Mbappe securing his legacy before he'd then probably get his move to Madrid in his prime.

But I don't believe the plan is anyone of note leaving this season.

FWIW, I'd personally happily flip Sadio for 4 or 5 years of Mbappe securing his legacy before he'd then probably get his move to Madrid in his prime.

But I don't believe the plan is anyone of note leaving this season.
Who wouldn't mate, who wouldn't...

Of course his not. And still Liverpool would need to break their entire transfer and wage structure to bring him in. Or - even worse, destroy themselves after his contract expires next season with even bigger wage and up front money he'll want.
And since Liverpool is already underpaying their players ( fair play for management and their handling of it) imagine how someone like Salah or Van Dijk would feel if someone, even Mbappe, came into the club with 2 or 3 times the wage they have. Oh boy.

They really wouldn't have to touch the wage structure.

Nike would balance that with his endorsements. There are ways and means and Fenway are putting piece after piece in place to position themselves at the forefront going forward. (Forefront to compete, as much as you can, on a level playing field with the State/Oligarch-backed clubs.).

The same way Salah is laden with endorsements in the Arab World that bulk up his salary. Players are as much about legacy now as the baseline wage packet. Take another big Nike player in all this, LeBron James. He's nowhere near the top 5 paid NBA players as he not only makes it up in endorsements. But he'd rather his club be able to split the wage he could get over other top players to cement his legacy.

Changing climate.

Last edited:
Again, I don't know where Mbappe will end up? There's a ways to go here.

But I am confident to feel safe in saying L'pool are ALL in on him, having been steadily working on this for a good few years, and it's been well reciprocated from his camp. That they are genuine, serious players here isn't open to debate.

It will be fun to watch it develop.

The same way Salah is laden with endorsements in the Arab World that bulk up his salary. Players are as much about legacy now as the baseline wage packet. Take another big Nike player in all this, LeBron James. He's nowhere near the top 5 paid NBA players as he not only makes it up in endorsements. But he'd rather his club be able to split the wage he could get over other top players to cement his legacy.

Changing climate.
Lets not bring NBA wage strucutre to the mix. Lebron has basically always been top 3 payd player and every year getting more more money as a wage. Even at 36 he still earns more as wages than he did years back. He never took paycut specially right now, because he singed contract extansion that is max for the club. It is just the wage cap that limites it going out of controll.
Lakers' LeBron James agrees to two-year, $85 million max contract extension, locked up through 2023
Every player sure gets much out of endorsments and sponsors. But that side is also more done by player himself and his team, not purely by club.

Lets not bring NBA wage strucutre to the mix. Lebron has basically always been top 3 payd player and every year getting more more money as a wage. Even at 36 he still earns more as wages than he did years back. He never took paycut specially right now, because he singed contract extansion that is max for the club. It is just the wage cap that limites it going out of controll.
Every player sure gets much out of endorsments and sponsors. But that side is also more done by player himself and his team, not purely by club.

He's not even in the top 5 in salary mate.

What he could earn funds the other guy. (Not a big BB fan so you'll have to forgive me for not remembering his name.).

Brady's another one. He's never been among the highest salaried QB's.

ALL about the legacy for these guys and being in the best situation for that.

They get compensated enough financially with the endorsement deals.

Last edited:
They really wouldn't have to touch the wage structure.

Nike would balance that with his endorsements. There are ways and means and Fenway are putting piece after piece in place to position themselves at the forefront going forward. (Forefront to compete, as much as you can, on a level playing field with the State/Oligarch-backed clubs.).

Changing climate.
Endorsements are not your wage, something that keeps on coming. Endorsements are extra, something thats not guaranteed. Aint no agent in the world worth their salt that will advice their client to go somewhere based on endorsements.
Also LeBron James is 6th most payed NBA player, and that's only because he's not eligible for supermax like those above him. He took 2 mill of his salary to help Lakers to have enough cap space for Anthony Davis ( and some other caps that are higher math for me, American sports with their wage structure are confusing). 8 million dollars over 4 years is not really comparable from Mbappe going from 18m per annum to 10-12m per annum like Liverpools most paid players have.

Also, part of endorsements is Los Angeles Lakers, the most marquee sports organization in the whole wide world. They literally have EVERYTHING. Liverpool are tiny compare to them.

And then there's Real Madrid who can offer everything Liverpool can, just twice as much. This is the same thing when Cristiano Ronaldo wanted to leave. It's freaking Real Madrid. Unless you're die hard Liverpool fan, if RM come calling you'll want to go there.

And surely Mbappe is going to Liverpool to cement his legacy? ok...

He's not even in the top 5 in salary mate.
He cant be because Clubs have salary cap and league laws to follow. Lakers could pay him ton more but it is MAX contract that is leagaliy possible for extensions.
I am telling you, comparing into NBA wages is not wise thing :D

And explained supercontrac - it is **** 35% of clubs cap.

So there is combination of reason why he is not most earning player anymore. But he still gets the MAX legally possible.

@Vanjagl where faster than me :D