The Manchester United Thread

Sancho and Van de Beek would be brilliant sigings
Would anyone consider Vertonghen on a 12 months + 12 month option contract as a free? Cutting Rojo and/or Jones?

Think I'd rather take him for a year than splash any budget on Nathan bluddy Aké if Ole is serious about a wanting a left-footed CB option for ball progression. Good, experienced personality too. Would be happy with him as 3rd/4th choice, and given his experience at fb & in a 3, could be useful for one off games in which we're shaping up a little differently. Some flexibility. Question is, is he finito or some life in the dog?
Absolutely not. Ake is actually very good. Don't need a 33 year old Jan. Rather no one than that

Sancho and Van de Beek would be brilliant sigings

Absolutely not. Ake is actually very good. Don't need a 33 year old Jan. Rather no one than that
Ake is a midfielder masquerading as a CB. Couldn't defend to save his life. Pep can have him and add to his list of overpriced defenders club.

On the subject of our defence, I feel people are over analysing it a bit, has it been perfect? Not at all, but we have had a reliable defence for most parts of the season and Maguire has improved it, whether you like the price tag or not. The facts are there to say we have conceded less and kept more clean sheets this season, without him we would not have got CL this season... make no mistake about it. He has tailed off towards the last several games like AWB, but they have both played ridiculous amounts of football and were knackered. Ole will need to rotate them more, especially with so many games next season.... but we do need signings, however defence is the least of our priorities regarding first team. If we could get an extra CB for depth then good, apart from that... first team is as good as anything defensively in this league minus Liverpool.

On the subject of our defence, I feel people are over analysing it a bit, has it been perfect? Not at all, but we have had a reliable defence for most parts of the season and Maguire has improved it, whether you like the price tag or not. The facts are there to say we have conceded less and kept more clean sheets this season, without him we would not have got CL this season... make no mistake about it. He has tailed off towards the last several games like AWB, but they have both played ridiculous amounts of football and were knackered. Ole will need to rotate them more, especially with so many games next season.... but we do need signings, however defence is the least of our priorities regarding first team. If we could get an extra CB for depth then good, apart from that... first team is as good as anything defensively in this league minus Liverpool.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind not getting a CB and instead getting a cover for Matic and loaning Garner out. Both would be great be maybe unrealistic

Swansea and Shef Wed in talks to take Garner on loan next season. Prefer Swansea but a good Championship club would be brilliant for him.

Just read a Times article with Ole saying he will rest most of his first framers against LASK next Wednesday. To have them fresh to go and win the later rounds.

Very smart imo. The tie is done. Most of the 11 were out on there feet at the end of the Leicester match. And will give the squad players a chance to pick up some form/confidence. Also see a few youngsters possibly Laird, Mengi, Garner, Chong, Levitt, Bernard. Maybe even get a look at Traore, Puigmal, Elanga.

So that will mean that De Gea is rested, along with Martial, Bruno, Matic, Pogba, AWB, Maguire and Rashford with any luck. We will probably see something like this then Romero, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Bailly, Williams, Fred, McTominay, James (on the left wing), Mata, Ignhalo, Chong/Greenwood. With a few more youngsters on the bench along side a couple of first team squad players like Dalot (who still won't get a game) and Lingard.

So that will mean that De Gea is rested, along with Martial, Bruno, Matic, Pogba, AWB, Maguire and Rashford with any luck. We will probably see something like this then Romero, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Bailly, Williams, Fred, McTominay, James (on the left wing), Mata, Ignhalo, Chong/Greenwood. With a few more youngsters on the bench along side a couple of first team squad players like Dalot (who still won't get a game) and Lingard.
Matic also will get a rest. Tuanzebe won’t be fit till next season starts.

Surprised some United fans wanted Ake... . looks like he is signing for City anyway and maybe he'll prove me wrong. Never impressed me too much.

Last edited:
Surprised some United fans wanted Ake... . looks like he is signing for City anyway and maybe he'll prove me wrong. Never impressed me too much.
I would have had him as a squad option. Never in a million years worth 41m. So much for COVID affecting the market

I would have had him as a squad option. Never in a million years worth 41m. So much for COVID affecting the market
He is homegrown, young and can actually pass the ball out of defence. He was always going for 30-40 Mn. Would've been good as a rotation option, honestly. Would mean we got rid of Jones, but oh well, CB is actually the least of our worries as of now, this season.

He is homegrown, young and can actually pass the ball out of defence. He was always going for 30-40 Mn. Would've been good as a rotation option, honestly. Would mean we got rid of Jones, but oh well, CB is actually the least of our worries as of now, this season.
Yeah but he’s not actually that good at defending and ok at best in the air. Homegrown or not 41m for a relegation CB with less than 2yrs on his current contract is steep imo.