Matt G

Reaction score
August 1982-May 2017:

So this is it I guess, the end of an era.

The ironic thing is…while my playing career saw me bouncing around the English Football League, I first got into the game north of the border.

Born in 1982 in Bristol, the summer of 1988 saw me move from Yeovil, Somerset to a village in Aberdeenshire. Within a year, I was playing centre mid for my school’s Primary 3 team and following Aberdeen FC. I had missed the Alex Ferguson era at Pittodrie, but that first team I followed back in 89/90 was still good enough to win the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup double that season with Fergie era veterans like Willie Miller and Alex McLeish in defence, Theo Snelders having established himself in goal and Eoin Jess and Scott Booth up front. McLeish was one of three Dons players that made it into Scotland’s Italia ’90 squad. I supported them for the group stages only to join my Dad in supporting England for the knockout stages…which promptly made me the **** of school jokes.

Anyway, by the 93/94 season, Willie Miller was the gaffer of a Dons team that was best of the rest behind a dominant Rangers, I was the captain of my primary school’s main team…and got the attention of somebody at Pittodrie because they gave me a trial. I thought that made me a Dons player of the future. I reckoned without Dad’s work dragging me back south of the border that summer.

94/95 saw me having to start from scratch in the south west suburbs of London. That proved not to be a major issue, I was not only one of the first names on my new school’s team sheet within a couple of months but before Year 7 was out, the local professional team, Brentford gave me a trial.

The Bees were in the third tier that season, then known as Division Two, missing out on promotion despite finishing 2nd​ in the regular season. Of course I started supporting them at that point, though I also followed Fergie’s Man United in the Premiership as well as keeping half an eye on the Dons north of the border. 95/96 saw me join the Brentford under 14s squad where I played alongside future Bees stalwart Kevin O’Conner, before being promoted to the under 18s the following season.

May 1999 saw me take my GCSEs while MUFC did the Treble and while I’d attended a intro day at the local college, I was pretty sure that my Bees under 18s form meant I wouldn’t have to take A Levels. Or would it? Having been relegated in ’98, the first team went on to win the 98/99 Division Three title, going straight back up at the first time of asking. A 16 year old in a just-promoted squad? Then-gaffer Ron Noades must have seen something he liked because he still gave me a professional contract that summer.

Still, the first few months of the 99/2000 season was spent in the reserves, with a brief drop back to bail out the under 18s for a game in September. Luckilly I was still living with my parents because the money wasn’t much. Then the first team squad got hit by an injury crisis and I found myself on the first team’s subs bench for the club’s first match of the 21st​century, a 1-0 home defeat to Stoke. Then it was back to the reserves for a couple of games before finally coming off the first team bench for the last few minutes of a 2-1 home win over Bury. The rest of the season saw me bounce between the first team bench and the reserves starting lineup before making my full first team debut in the last game of the season at home to Colchester, after we had long secured safety.

The early stages of the 00/01 season saw me continue to bounce between the first team and reserves for a bit more money, it took Ray Lewington taking over as manager in November for me to really get a run of matches in the first team. At which point I caught fire. 2nd​ December 2000 saw me score my first League goal in a 2-2 home draw with Wigan. In Janurary, a journalist for the local paper The Informer compared my passing to Paul Scholes. By Easter there was talk of First Division clubs sniffing around me. 22nd​ April saw the only Cup final of my career, the LDV Vans Trophy final at the Millenium Stadium. We lost 2-1 to Port Vale that day and my performance wasn’t exactly vintage…the transfer rumours died down.

And then at the end of the season came a jawdropper. Millwall manager Mark McGhee wanted to talk to me. I knew McGhee as a legend from the Fergie era at Aberdeen and he’d just taken Millwall to the Division 2 title. I’d been one of the better Brentford players at a 1-0 defeat at the Den in February but well…even I wasn’t certain I was First Division standard. Still…

The summer of 2001 was when I moved out from under my parents roof to move into a flat in south east London. It was also when Millwall fans questioned my presence in what they already saw as a perfectly good squad. McGhee bowed to their caution to start with, initially putting me in the reserves. I eventually made my Division One debut by coming off the bench for the last few minutes of a 3-1 home win over Barnsley on 18th​ September. I gradually got longer stints off the bench before starting alongside a certain Tim Cahill in a 3-3 home draw with Nottingham Forest mid-October.

Something clicked…and by Xmas I’d put both mine and the fans doubts behind me. Tim’s attacking instincts meant that I had to adjust to a more defensive mindset but no one could argue with the results, that was the best team I have ever played in and when the dust settled we made it into the playoffs. We really fancied our chances in the semis against Birmingham, and a 1-1 draw at their place made me think I was going to be heading back to the Millenium Stadium, this time with much more at stake. If only. We got done at the Den right at the end, it was absolutely gutting.

Still, at the end of the season, the gaffer asked if I would be willing to play for Scotland, technically my primary school days up there qualified me, even if I hadn’t been back up there since ’94. I told him that I wouldn’t turn them down but they never did come calling. Supporting England in that summer’s World Cup, I thought it was only a matter of time before I’d be playing top flight football.

If only. The team as a whole had a dire start to the 02/03 season and just when I and the team started to get our bearings again…disaster. Breaking my leg in training in early October turned out to be career-changing. I was out of action till after Xmas and when I returned, I just couldn’t get my old form back. A losing run in February saw me dropped. The team found form without me late on but we missed out on the playoffs and I found myself on the transfer list.

The summer of ’03 saw me drop into depression but a lifeline came from a familiar source. Brentford were now managed by Wally Downes and hadn’t had a brilliant 02/03 themselves. Downes didn’t know me, but plenty at the club still did and I decided that returning to Griffin Park could get me my mojo back.

Of course, the Bees were now paying me more money than they did first time around so while I started by returning to live with my parents, I soon got my own flat nearer the ground…and I was put straight into the starting lineup for 03/04. The fans were more than happy to have me back and my individual form was such that I was seen as one of the few bright spots in what was looking like another dire season. Instead it was Downes that got the blame for another relegation battle. We went through two gaffers that season. By season’s end, the man I called “boss” was Martin Allen. Watching my old Millwall teammates in the FA Cup final that season was hard but what was done was done.

For 04/05, the Second Division was renamed League One. Allen made me vice-captain under Michael Dobson and everything started clicking again. We certainly had our bad patches but when we were on it we were on it and on it enough to make the playoffs and I got to play in an FA Cup 5th​ round match for the first time in my career. In the Cup…well, drawing with Premiership side Southampton made us think we could pull off an upset in the replay but instead we lost 3-1 at Griffin Park. The playoffs had Sheffield Wednesday see us off in much more straightforward fashion.

The summer of ’05 saw QPR and Crystal Palace make enquries about me. Well I talked to them but decided I was better off staying another season at Brentford. That proved to be a good idea. We hit the ground running and were soon very much in the promotion mixer…and then in Janurary came ‘the’ match. FA Cup 4th​ round at Griffin Park against Premiership dead-men-walking Sunderland. I put in a solid performance but it was DJ Campbell that did the business in a 2-1 win.

That led to DJ getting snapped up by Birmingham pretty sharpish. Another Premiership side, Charlton saw us out of the Cup and we fell short of the automatic promotion spots and lost the playoff semi 3-1 on aggregate to Swansea. In the meantime…my Brentford contract was up and I was getting plenty of attention from other clubs for 06/07. In the end, it was time to say farewell to Griffin Park, this time for good. I was heading back up to the second-tier, now known as the Championship. Also time to say good bye to London after over a decade. I was going back to live in the Westcountry for the first time since I was five years old, to Plymouth.

Since winning the L1 title in ’04, Plymouth Argyle had established themselves as a midtable-Championship side. Gaffer Ian Holloway thought that I could finetune things in midfield. Plymouth was not a city I had ever really gotten to know but it was Holloway, a man with Brentford connections, that had tried to sign me up for QPR the previous season. I was on the subs bench for the opening game of the season at home to Wolves, coming on at halftime only for us to concede early in the second half for a 1-1 draw. I gradually settled into the team in a midfield supersub role, before getting my first start against Holloway’s old team QPR, putting on an impressive enough performance to get a mention in Holloway’s press conference.

The highlight of that season proved to be my playing in an FA Cup quarter final for the first and as it turned out, only time, a 1-0 defeat to Premiership Watford on our turf. Other than that though, it wasn’t quite a return to the glory days of 01/02 with Millwall, Argyle very much remained a midtable side that I was doing a solid but not spectacular job for. Over the course of that season though, I did fall in love with and get married to a local girl Stacey and we married in the summer of ’07.

I pretty much picked up where I left off in 07/08…while starting to realise that I would have to give up on the dream of playing in the Premiership. And then the gaffer got snapped up by Leicester. His replacement was Paul Sturrock, an Aberdonian who had previously managed the club in the early 00s.

I tried to get on with Sturrock, but he wasn’t as easy to get on with as Holloway. I half expected Holloway to snap me up for Leicester, but for whatever reason that didn’t happen and besides, at least we stayed up that season and I kept performing solidly for Plymouth and we finished 10th​, not so bad. Leicester eventually went down.

The highlight of the 08/09 season was getting to play at the Emirates Stadium against Arsenal in the FA Cup 3rd​ round. Even if we did lose 3-1 that’s my only good memory of that season. After that, Sturrock started getting on my case. Our Championship campaign was a mess and he started to act like I was part of the problem. That lead to me cracking under the pressure, my form went and with that, I was dumped in the reserves for the tail end of the season, not that it helped the first team one bit as we barely dodged relegation. With my contract running out and seemingly no one wanting my services, particularly Sturrock, I was toast.

The summer of ’09 saw me without a club. My old team Brentford had just won the L2 title under my former teammate Andy Scott and he was more than happy to bring me back to Griffin Park once again…only for Stacey to not want to leave the Westcountry because her Mum had cancer. In the end, it was Exeter City that took a chance on me. City, sworn enemies of Argyle, fresh off back to back promotions to L1 having finished best of the rest behind the Bees in the 08/09 L2 campaign.

09/10 was a weird season in a lot of ways. As an ex-Argyle guy, I had a lot to prove to the City fans who were on Paul Tisdale’s case pretty quickly for signing a “Plymouth reject”. Tisdale kept faith in me but it was a tough campaign made tougher by our teammate Adam Stansfield being diagnosed with cancer but by the end of the season, I was performing well enough for the fans to get off my back and we managed to stay up. Returning to Griffin Park in April as an opposition player for the first time was awkward as **** though and the gaffer had to substitute me at half time.

The summer of 2010 saw me become a father, our son Rick was born. Argyle getting relegated from the Championship made things even more tasty for the 10/11 season. December saw my return to Home Park, this time in an Exeter shirt. Paul Sturrock was no longer their manager but I still felt I had a lot to prove, and performed well even if we lost 2-0. The return match was in April and I scored the winning goal – that secured my place in Exeter hearts. We finished 8th​ that year, just missing out on the playoffs.

Off the back of City’s best season since 1980…I decided to extend my contract. I was possibly getting too old to get another opportunity in the Championship, I was now trying to raise a kid…and we were unlikely to get relegated the following season. Guess what? We got relegated the following season.

With not even any L1 sides sniffing round me in the summer of 2012…I found myself playing fourth-tier football for the first time in my career on my 30th​ birthday. On the plus side, I was made club captain for the 12/13 season and I started on coaching badges. My first L2 match as captain…we lost 3-0 to Morecombe but we got our act together after that, were leading the division at one point and if not for a disasterous end to the season…might have finished higher than 10th​.

13/14…saw Argyle join us in L2…and that rivalry got fierier than ever. As City captain, I didn’t try to stoke it up but…the fans of both teams didn’t exactly need any encouragement “Matty Grimsey is a red – he hates Argyle”. “Matt Grimsey’s an Argyle reject”. There were still some highlights in the last few years of my playing career, the summer of 2014 saw us tour Brazil, I led the guys to a 2-2 draw with Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd​ round in 15/16 which saw us get to play at Anfield for the replay…

The summer of 2016 saw me with one last year on my contract and I told the gaffer that that would be it, I was already helping out the youth team with some coaching, one last season, then I hang up my boots. We had a dire start to that season, couldn’t seem to buy a win at home but started getting our act together in October, but really get ourselves out of the **** in December and things then clicked for the tail end of that season, we reached for playoffs for the first time since being relegated.

Beating Carlisle 6-5 on aggregate in the playoff semi…well…if I hadn’t broken my leg back in ’02, who knows how my career would have gone but I did at least get to end it saying that I had played at Wembley, as a team captain no less. Winning the match and securing promotion to L1 would have been the icing on the cake but Blackpool had other ideas, hitting a second half winner.

The coach back from Wembley to Exeter was weird, City had become the club I’d been at the longest, though I’d still not been there long enough for a testimonial, Paul wanted me to stay at the club and become the youth coach, I decided to take a break and think things over – I had a National “A” Level coaching badge, enough for me to manage a first team somewhere in theory.

(this backstory secures me "Professional player - Regional" status I believe)

(also copied from the FM17 section - because I was a dumbarse!)

Last edited:
(here starts the part of the game I covered in the demo version!)

June 2017:

I’d persuaded Stacey and Rick that it was worth leaving Exeter if I could find a club somewhere that would hire me as their manager. At that point I officially cut ties with Exeter City after eight years, though they said they’d still have me back if things didn’t go to plan and would give me a good reference.

I then hire a woman called Lacey Wright as my PA and see what jobs there are out there. I am not a mug, I know I need to set my sights at L2 at most but there are two vacancies that get my attention. First up, Bognor Regis, National League South, then FC United, National League North. I’ve had a soft spot for the idea of the latter club for a while. I am an MUFC fan and the club was set up by MUFC fans, even if I’ve never lived in northern England. I apply for both.

Imagine my surprise then when Bury and Gillingham, two L1 sides that I have no previous history with, other than as an opposition player(and double irony, Gillingham were due in Exeter for a friendly a few weeks later), want to interview me. This meant a long day hauling from Exeter to Bury for the first interview then back down south to crash in a Gillingham hotel prior to the second interview the following afternoon and I finally get back to Exeter late that evening.

(clarification - the demo limited me to working with just the top six English tiers)

July 2017: My old teammates were prepping for the first of their preseason friendlies, away to National League South Wealdstone…and well…starting my managieral career in L1 was a nice dream. Bury went with Steven Pressley, Gillingham went with Robbie Fowler, and I can’t blame them. In the meantime I decided to apply for another National League North vacancy at Boston United.

Both they and Bognor Regis then got back to me wanting an interview. Another train journey up north for the Boston interview. Dinner that night was a pie on the train from Grantham to King’s Cross then a few changes later I crash into a Bognor hotel room late that night. Again, day two of these trips was less hectic, hopefully I did at least one of those interviews justice. Finally get home that evening after a bite at Salisbury only to find that FC United want to interview me. So, one night in my own bed then back up north, this time direct to Manchester, then local lines out to the burbs. Dinner on the train back from Manchester. Now all I can do is wait.

I don’t have to wait very long, Lacey gets back to me, Boston United want to sign me up. So after over a decade it’s farewell to Devon…hello to Lincolnshire and…

BOSTON UNITED

One season part-time contract. £375 per week. They’re happy to help get Rick into a local primary school but yeah…part time contract, not much more than half what I was on as Exeter skipper, we’ll have to rely on Stacey’s counsellor work to get by. In the meantime I’m based out of a local b+b till we can find a flat up here. Maybe I should have taken up Paul Tisdale’s offer and become the new Exeter Under 18s coach…but what’s done is done.

But yeah, welcome to non-league football. I have no previous history with this club or this level of the game. I’ve got just a day to prep for an away friendly against United Counties League side Wellingborough Town. My player/assistant is Karl Hawley, on the club books as a striker though he’s older than me - we’ve played against each other a few times over the years. Things with the team go OK, I make midfielder Jamie McGuire my captain, the players don’t really know much about me, I’m not big enough to have been on their radars but they appreciate the fact that I had a solid enough League career, even if I never did get to the Premiership.

Then there’s a press conference with BBC Lincolnshire and the non-League paper which seemed to go OK. Then the coach to Wellingborough.

Friendly: Wellingborough away: View attachment 71077

I have to admit, I wasn’t sure what to expect from these guys but a 2-0 win over lower-tier opposition will do OK. We ran the show, Tshimanga became the first player to score for me as a football manager, Hemmings made it two then I asked the guys to hold things steady in the second half. I have inherited a team that can do a solid job.

The next friendly is away to National League South side Chelmsford and while I have generally tried to play things calm so far, because let’s face it, I really don’t know much about this level of football. I now have a few days to start making my mark on this team. First up, boost the staff levels, at the very least we need a head physio, chief scout and Under 23s manager.

I give Karl the Under-23s gig for now, and make Martyn Bunce, our head of Youth development our under 18s coach. Player wise I snap up left back Suleman Naaem and left mid Dieter Downey, both having been without a club. As well as give a trial to goalie Ciaran O’Loughlin. I then hire Oliver Coutress, as our new Chief Data analyst, Adie Britton, formerly of Bath as our new Director of Football and Ryan Davies off Notts County as our new Head Physio.

Right then…

Friendly: Chelmsford away: View attachment 71076

Pretty uneventful match so I freshen things up at half time which seems to do the trick with Waite opening the scoring only for Chelmsford to equalise not long afterwards. OK performance I suppose but a win would have been nice.

More new faces come in…striker Kayne Diedrick Roberts and central defender James King. Next up comes my first match managing the team at our York Street ground.

Friendly: Port Vale at home: View attachment 71075

A friendly against an L1 side was always liable to be a reality check for both this lot and myself…but when Hemmings slotted that early pen, I dared to dream a little. Port Vale equalise, OK fine. And then McGuire, my skipper gets his dumb **** sent off and everything just goes to ****! Ow! That hurt!

McGuire is suitably warned about the red card and O’Loughlin is signed up, theoretically for the long term. I sign up David Wright, who previously worked in the youth departments at Stoke and Portsmouth. I give him the under 23s job, allowing Karl to focus more on the first team. I also sign up Peter Senda as our Chief Scout.

It’s not even the end of pre-season yet though and I’m already running into issues with one of my players, Adam Chapman, 28 year old centre mid. Karl is nudging me towards getting him to welcome tutor some of the younger players but he’s baulking at the task. To be fair, maybe I should have rolled out the welcome wagon myself but quite frankly I haven’t been here long enough.

Anyway…

Friendly: Stevanage away(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached): View attachment 71074

The first half saw our L2 opponents clearly have the edge but they couldn’t do anything with it. The second half, they kept coming at us…but we kept holding them off! This was impressive…and then in injury time Chapman sends the ball up to Waite who feeds Tshimanga in space in the box and…I jump out of my seat as he hits the net! This is now looking like a team I can do stuff with.

2017/18 SEASON

Team: Boston United
Friendly record: P4 W2 D1 L1
National League North: Starts in August
FA Cup: Starts in September:
FA Trophy: Starts in November

Last edited:
August 2017:

Stacey and Rick join me up here…and after a reasonably promising pre-season I now have to get myself and the players…OK…first and foremost myself, ready for competitive action. I also sign up Malcolm *** as a physio. Those who know more about this level of the game than me put us at 25/1 to win the National League North title. The board will settle for the top half of the table. From what I’ve seen in preseason, that’s certainly doable.

And then it’s off on the coach to Southport…here we go…

National League North: Southport away: View attachment 71012

People who knew more about this level of football than me didn’t fancy our chances here. After Kevin Davies’s crew opened the scoring early on, I didn’t blame them, and when Wakefield got his second yellow, I feared the worst. And yet this time we didn’t crumble. This time we held on. This time a late counter-attack saw Smith set up Hemmings for an equaliser. They may not have fancied our chances here…but we got a point out of Southport!

I still was not best pleased at Wakefield for getting himself sent off…and he didn’t take it that well, bragging about his heading ability instead. Ah well…

National League North: Alfreton at home: View attachment 71011

First home league game of the season and I was hoping for a win, I didn’t have conceding an early opener in mind. But then one of their guys got sent off. And McGowan hit the net twice to turn this round. Three points are ours right. Well I’d been warned about Craig Westcarr and in turn I warned the guys about Craig Westcarr, and he still caught us with our pants down late on – gah!

Still, had to give McGowan a pat on the back for his performance.

National League North: Tamworth away: View attachment 71010

If we’re going to finish in the top half of the table then we need to start winning at some point and Tamworth taking us apart in the first half did not leave me in a good mood. Telling them to get their act together got them to step up their game enough for another point at least though.

Decided to try and sort things out with Chapman before the next match, praising elements of his game but he didn’t seem that interested. Not sure what his issue is, he’s a perfectly good centre mid for this level and as a now-former centre mid, falling out with him doesn’t make much sense.

National League North: Chorley at home: View attachment 71009

Once again, if we’re going to finish in the top half of the table, we’re going to need to win at some point. Chorley certainly seemed to have their uses but Chapman heading in a Vince free kick meant that we came in at half time in the lead. Chorley kept pushing but couldn’t get anywhere. Another Chapman header and that was job done, we’re finally in business.

After that performance, I give Chapman another prep talk, and he finally realises I’m not blowing smoke up his ****. Thank **** for that.

National League North: Spenneymoor Town at home: View attachment 71008

No rest for the wicked. Spenneymoor don’t look a completely useless side but my guys pretty much had the edge on them from the start and when guys like Hemmings and Tshimanga are on it, we’re able to make it count. Spenneymoor were able to pull one back just before half time though so I had to tell the guys not to get cocky. The second half was nice and smooth and easy, Tshimanga’s second finishing them off.

National League North: FC United away(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached): View attachment 71007

The last time I was at Broadhurst Park, it was for an interview to become the gaffer here but Boston snapped me up before they got back to me. That gig eventually went to Bill Prendergast, an obscure protégé of Dario Gradi’s at Crewe who’d been out of the game for over a decade. Can I make the FC United board regret their decision? Well these Reds certainly look like a solid side but my Pilgrims still open the scoring through a Hemmings penalty, only for the Reds to prove that they are no mugs by equalising not long afterwards. Still the game’s there to be won and Tshimanga’s second half double secures our first away League win of the season. Very satisfying!

National League North: Nuneaton at home: View attachment 71006

Given our respective forms, this match looked relatively straightforward so going two down early doors was not my idea of a 35th​ birthday present. The guys made amends though with headers from McGowan and Keene(a former Nuneaton man opening his account for Boston) making sure they came in at half time level. Now I just wanted Nuneaton finished off. Another ex-Nuneaton guy, Tshimanga, took care of that with a lethal display.

I congratulated Tshimanga on his performance but I wasn’t the only one whose attention he was getting. He won the National League North player of the month award, with Hemming coming in 3rd​ in that. And I also came in 3rd​ in the Manager of the Month awards.

Maybe I was right to come up here after all!

17/18 season
Friendlies: P4 W2 D1 L1
National League North: 3rd
FA Cup: Starts in September

September 2017:

So…Rick’s getting ready to start at his new school and our new flat’s not falling apart…and the games pretty much keep coming

National League North: Kidderminster away:View attachment 70820

I think that’s called an **** kicking. Tried to switch to 4-3-3 at half time but it didn’t have much of an effect. First league defeat of the season in painful fashion.

Then I have a change of focus. I’m used to the FA Cup starting in November for me. The board will be statisfied with this lot still being in the copetition by November. We have three qualifying rounds to survive before we enter the competition proper. First up, the 2nd​ qualifying round. The draw gives us Northern Premier League side Witton Albion at home. Looks pretty straightforward.

We’ve got some league action before that though, North Ferriby are coming to visit and their gaffer Steve Horsham is complaining to the media about our pitch. I don’t want to get cocky after what happened in Kidderminster, but on paper his lot have their work cut out so I just tell the journos that my guys will be playing on the same pitch.

National League North: North Ferriby at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached):View attachment 70819

This is also an **** kicking. Horsham might have been better off working out how to deal with a hungry Boston United side rather than whining about the York Street pitch. Broadhead got his first goal for the club, Vince picked up a knock but otherwise…this was just beautiful.

The Vince knock turned out to be a twisted knee. Annoying but nothing to freak out over.

National League North: Blyth away:View attachment 70818

We went two up early doors and though Blyth pulled one back, Tsimanga making it three before half time left me in a reasonably confident mood. Downey opening his account for the club was the icing on the cake.

Gave Waite a pat on the back for his performance.

National League North: Bradford PA away:View attachment 70817

The first half was uneventful but our hosts had the edge in what action there was. All we needed was 20 minutes at the start of the second half, though one of their guys putting the ball in his own net helped as well. They pulled one back late on to make things nervy but we still got out of there with three points. Chalk up another one.

My next issue was Wakefield in a snarky mood again…he didn’t think he was seeing enough action…fact is though…the team is on fire right now and I don’t want to change a winning team, he seemed OK with that.

FA Cup 2nd​ qualifying round: Witton Albion at home:View attachment 70816

On current form a team from the Northern Premier League should be no trouble whatsoever and so it proved, even if they were able to cancel out our early opener, the match was done and dusted once Waite made it 4-1. One down, two to go.

Next up in the Cup…Burgess Town of the Isthmian League at home. That’ll do me nicely.

I ask Karl and Clifton to tutor Diedrick-Roberts and Hare respectively. Keene picks up blisters during training so is out of action for a bit

National League North: Darlington at home: View attachment 70815

Hemmings opener made me think that this was going to be business as usual but it proved not to be the case. First home league defeat of the season and there’s no way it should have happened against this lot!

Diedrick-Robets picked up a knock during that match but that was the least of my concerns.

FA Cup 3rd​ qualifying round: Burgess Town at home: View attachment 70814

Just when it couldn’t get any worse, an Isthmian League side open the scoring against us. That was enough to wake the guys up though and the contest was pretty much over at half time. Two down, one to go.

17/18 season:
National League North: 5th
FA Cup: 4th qualifying round

October 2017:

So, the FA Cup 4th​ qualifying round draw. This is the point where the National League Premier sides join the party, yet the board still expect the team to survive this round. Needless to say I’m a bit nervous. Spennymoor Town at home. That could have been worse.

The big eyebrow raiser is though, hearing that the match will be on live TV. I didn’t even realise they bothered screening the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup on TV and even so, surely there’s more appealing matches than an all-National League North tie! I played semi-regularly on live TV, though of course it’ll be my first time as a manager. Not sure what experience the guys have but there’s only one thing to do in these circumstances. Forget about the cameras.

I also give George Willis a pat on the back for his training efforts and have Gregg Smith snarking at me for not giving him first team opportunities. I tell him to be patient but he doesn’t take that very well.

National League North: Telford away: View attachment 70716

What…the ****? Back to back League defeats are one thing but I can’t remember the last time I was ever involved in something like this. This looked winnable. We were competitive for the first 40 minutes or so and then…Christ…

Well while I’m still recovering from shock, the players decide to club together and reimburse the fans that travelled to Telford. Have to give them, and O’Loughlin in particular, credit for that. In the meantime, I decide to snap up another central midfielder, Josh Dolling.

The Telford result haunts me though. I know full well that if that is followed up by getting knocked out of the FA Cup earlier than expected live on TV then I will have some explaining to do. The journos also grill me on in the buildup to the Spenneymoor match, for which I remain cautiously optimistic and try to brush away the concerns of my opposite number Jason Ainsley

FA Cup 4th​ qualifying round: Spenneymoor at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached):View attachment 70715

First tunnel interview with BBC Lincolnshire went pretty well, I reminded the guy about my squad rotation policy and that I’m not concerned about opposition injuries. As for the match itself, well the first half must have made the TV people wondered why they bothered and I was a bit concerned at half time. Keene they opened the scoring for us in the second half and we wrapped it late on. Mission accomplished as far as the Cup is concerned.
Post match. Ainsley blames the pitch for his defeat and I just shrug him off, relieved my guys are back to winning way.

Next up is the 1st​ round draw…and we get…L1 Rochdale away. We might have our work cut out there.

I give Vince a pat on the back for his improved form, Diedrick-Roberts gets himself concussed while trying to get match practice for the under-18s…and closer to home, Rick makes his debut for his primary school’s year team – does pretty well.

National League North: Curzon Ashton away: View attachment 70714

1-0 up at half time…2-0 up after 60 minute…and yet our hosts still manage to draw level. It isn’t Telford, but it’s not good either.

Gregg Smith has decided to whine to the media about his lack of first team action. Of course BBC Lincolnshire then bug me about it and all I can say is…I’ll give him an opportunity…but he shouldn’t take anything for granted. The fact is, he doesn’t have enough credibility in the dressing room to be a major issue anyway.

Dolling picks up a knock in training that means he’s not worth risking for the next match.

National League North: Salford at home: View attachment 70713

Finally, a league win. Salford are definitely one of this division’s better sides but goals either side of half time do me very nicely indeed. Salford pull one back late on which makes me a bit nervous but we hold them off. Hemmings takes a knock which is a concern though.

The Hemmings knock turns out to be a relative non-issue. Of slightly bigger concern is Rollins wanting more first team action but I can’t give him that while vice-captain Downey’s on his current form.

More importantly, things come to a head with Gregg Smith. He’s making too much noise in the dressing room, I ask Adie Britton to see if he can blag him to someone but no one’s interested in the ******. So I decide to tell Gregg “you want out? See if you can sell yourself somewhere”

National League North: Brackley at home: View attachment 70712

Quiet first half that we have the edge in and Waite secures the three points with two late strikes.

Gregg Smith eventually cut a deal for himself in the Isthmian League, at Lowestoft.

National League North: Leamington away: View attachment 70711

Well, at half time we were in the lead but our hosts equalised early in the second half and we were left rueing a missed Hemmings penalty and a late defensive lapse.

17/18 season
FA Cup: 1st round

November 2017

FA Cup 1st​ round: Rochdale away: View attachment 70658

The last time I was in Spotland on FA Cup business was back in my Brentford days. We started that 05/06 Cup run here…they were L2 at the time, it apparently got a brief mention in the Rochdale match program today. Fastforward 12 years and they’re L1 and I’m gaffer of a National League North side trying to work out how to give them a match. Setting the guys up for a tight game initially…we do. And when Tshimanga slots that penalty…I’m out of my seat. Ahead at half time we get what appears to be a reality check with three Rochdale goals in quick succession. Except I had a hungry looking Hemmings to bring off the bench. I get the guys to charge forward and two Hemmings goals in quick succession secures us a replay! ****** ****!

The National League North team that I manage is in the FA Cup 2nd​ round draw. The L2 side I captained last season is not, having been seen bugged by National League Premier side Maidstone. I give Paul Tisdale a quick text to tease him about that. As for that second round draw…well…IF we can beat Rochdale at York Street then we get to host Lincoln. I’ve been in this corner of the world long enough to know that that is very interesting indeed. A lot of the kids at Rick’s school support L2 Lincoln rather than us.

I give Hemmings a pat on the back for his display against Rochdale.

National League North: Stockport at home: View attachment 70657

Maybe the guys were complacent, I’m not sure but going a goal down on our return to York Street and league action wasn’t what I had in mind. Going two down with 15 minutes to go even less so. Once again Hemmings to the rescue but he can only ensure we draw this one. Annoying.

The FA Trophy. Before now I have never followed this competition in my life. Boston have some history in it though, this club made the 1985 final. Back then they were playing in the Alliance Premier League, which was what the fifth tier of English football was apparently known as back then. Fastforward to the present day and the board will settle for us reaching the 2nd​ round, but to even earn a spot as a sixth-tier side, we have to survive a qualifying round before reaching the competition proper. The 3rd​ qualifying round draw gives us Mossley, of the Northern Premier League North(bit of a tounge twister) at home. Shouldn’t be a problem.

And then…well the Cup replay isn’t being televised but both I and my opposite number Keith Hill face significant media grilling. In my case I get double-teamed by BBC Lincolnshire and the Non-League paper. They seem to see the Stockport result as a point gained and as for the Rochdale match, I try and strike a note of cautious optimism. Hill seems to be expecting a good match as well. Here we go.

FA Cup 1st​ round replay: Rochdale at home: View attachment 70656

Well I tried to set us up to counter-attack this time rather than stay tight and thanks to the on-fire Hemmings, we came in at half time level…all to play for. Tshimanga getting injured compromised my late match plans slightly and instead it was Rochdale that stepped up and put us to the sword. Tried to tell the guys that they had nothing to be ashamed of but still…that is one gutted dressing room.

Not as gutted as I was though when Ryan Davies made his report on Tshimanga. “He’s done his hamstring – he’ll be out for three months”. “You have got to be ******* kidding me”

Still, I’ve been in Tshimanga’s position myself of course, there is no point rushing these things. I tell him to focus on his own recovery, the team will take care of itself.

After that…more journos. Rochdale Herald, BBC Lincolnshire, Guardian, Dailly Mirror. I tell them that Rochdale were just too good for us on the night but manage to keep it cool when talking about Tshimanga though I’m optimistic we’ll manage without him.

National League North: Harrogate away(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached):View attachment 70655

Back to the bread and butter and a tight encounter with one of the better teams in the division…then again…we’re also very much in the playoff mixer this point ourselves. Just when it looks like it’s heading for a goalless draw, Diedrick-Roberts hits the net for his first senior goal for the club. Getting three points out of Harrogate will do very nicely indeed.

Dolling appears to be injury prone, getting a gashed leg while getting match practice with the under 23s, he’ll be out for over a week.

FA Trophy 3rd​ qualifying round: Mossley at home: View attachment 70654

First half went very smoothly indeed…other than picking up two injuries which limited my tweaking options in the second half. The eighth tier side pulled one goal back but ultimately proved to be nothing we couldn’t handle. One down…

So…we have made it into the FA Trophy proper, but the draw for this round is similar to the FA Cup 4th​ qualifying round for me. This is where the National League Premier sides join the party and the board still want my guys to beat whoever comes out of the pot. It is a National League Premier side…Gateshead at home. Ah.

Davies has more bad news, McGowan has a damaged neck, out for three weeks. Hare has a twisted ankle, out for four weeks. About the only silver lining if that when Clifton bangs on my door asking for more gametime, I’m able to tell him that he’s pretty much can bank on it while Hare’s out.

I also give Downey a pat on the back for his recent performances.

Naem takes a minor knock in training.

17/18 season
FA Cup: Knocked out after 1st round replay.
FA Trophy: 1st round

December 2017

(this is mainly still what I did on the demo version with a little bit of fresh action at the end. Let me know if this story is worth sticking with)

An attempt to sign Ben Clappison, former Pilgrims defender that is now playing for York under 23s fell flat because the board baulked at his prospective wages. Unfortunately the media got wind of the attempt and I had to shrug my shoulders at them.

National League North: York at home: View attachment 70528

Very nice work from the guys here. York’s equaliser made me briefly nervous but Hemmings second and Diedrick-Roberts joining the party secured the three points against another of the division’s bigger guns.

I give Hemmings a pat on the back for his performance against York. I also get an invite from Steve Hill to Spotland the following day for Rick and I to watch the Rochdale vs Lincoln FA Cup 2nd​ round match. I decide to accept, only for some journo to spot me there which confused the **** out of them. Rochdale won 1-0 in the meantime.

National League North: Southport at home: View attachment 70527

This match looked winnable given how we started the season so conceding an early goal was not what I had in mind. They still proved susceptible to late equalisers though and Diedrick-Roberts did the honours on this occasion, though Clifton getting injured was less than ideal.

Irony of ironies…Clifton, a guy who’s previously bugged me for first team action, is out for three weeks with concussion. I also get Keene to tutor Beatson on some stuff.

The big jawdropper of that week is Britton telling me that Southern League Premier side has poached O’Loughlin on a freebie! How the **** is that possible without me having a say on it?

Anyway, we now have to pick ourselves up from that…

FA Trophy 1st​ round: Gateshead at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH - match file attached): View attachment 70526

Definitely one of my nervier matches, word is the fans still think we should have beaten Rochdale so this effectively becomes a must-win against a team one level up from us. I needn’t really have worried. I tell the guys to do their best and they look way more effective than our visitors. Hemmings goals either side of half time seal the deal. Yes!

Keene and McGowan are both concussed and will be out for three weeks each.

The FA Trophy 2nd round draw…puts us against Blyth at home! That is doable! A Trophy run could be on.

Liam Adams, a hot prospect midfieder, wants some first team action. I ask Britton to try and fix up a loan move for the kid because I can’t see him getting a first team spot anytime soon.

I decide to check out our next opponents, Alfreton in their FA Trophy 1st​ round replay against National League Premier side AFC Fylde. Not convinced I see anything I didn’t already know in a 1-1 which is only settled by a penalty shootout in Fylde’s favour.. At least the journo that spots me has half a clue why I’m there.

National League North: Alfreton away: View attachment 70525

Last match before Xmas and its certainly quite a spectacle. We’re leading at half time, Alfreton level early in the second half, I decide to bring Karl off the bench and well…he’s still got it. Hits the net with his first touch. And yet they do us with an injury time equaliser. Annoying.

Wakefield had to be withdrawn with a knock but it should be fixed in a couple of days.

On Xmas Eve, I get grilled by various journos on an eclectic range of topics prior to the Boxing Day match at home to Gainesborough from BBC Lincolnshire and the Non-League paper. My opposite number Dave Frecklington is the latest to whine about the York Street pitch. I say that this sort of thing is getting old. Then I’m asked to comment on Gainesborough’s overachieving season…I say that I’m expecting a good match. Darlington aren’t doing as well as expected this season? Well they got three points out of York Street earlier in the season, they can’t be that useless. Is my team’s form down to good atmosphere in the dressing room? I shrug and just say I believe in what is a great bunch of players. Would defeat on Tuesday hurt? Yes but we’ll bounce back. Should AFC Fylde be annoyed that I’m sniffing round their goalie Adam Pugh? I’m not concerned. What do I make of Kevin Davies being under fire at Southport? Not my place to comment. Is Frecklington over-achieving at Gainesborough? I’m not concerned what happens there.

The enquiry about Southport is an odd one though. Do they think I’d want that gig if Kevin got the boot? Are they nuts?

Xmas Day involves the tactical briefing for the Gainesborough match. Boxing day morning has chairman David Newton discussing the possibility of a new contract. I’d like the pitch sorted out just to stop all the whining but apparently that isn’t an option so I decide to keep things as is. The result is that my contract is extended for another season, with a payraise to £425 a week. The only *** note going into the next match is a falling out between Keene and Beatson.

National League North: Gainesborough at home: View attachment 70524

Some guy from the Non-league paper catches me in the tunnel asking me what I make of the conditions. I just shrug my shoulders and say I’m not concerned. In the match itself, well Dolling opening his account for the club is very welcome. Gainesborough equalising with a penalty not so much. Us not being able to retake the lead even more so. With that, 2017 is a wrap.

Post match, the journos bug me about various things, mainly the penalty that we conceded and Broadhead’s iffy performance. It was not Jack’s finest hour, I know that much but I said I didn’t have an issue with the penalty. They then brought up Chapman’s good form and my sniffing around East Dulwich goalie Alex Roughton and the fact that Chorley have overhauled us off the back of this result.

Talking of Chapman I start contract discussions with him.

Finally, we’ve got the second of our festive double header against Gainesborough coming up. For Chapman, it’s a return to his old stomping ground, I know how that feels but I’m reasonably sure he can handle it. The media are generally impressed with our form this season – we’ve been one of the surprise packages of the division and I have to say, we’ve surprised even ourselves.

17/18 season:
National League North: 4th
FA Cup: Knocked out in 1st round replay
FA Trophy: 2nd round

Having some luck against the North East team, Blyth and Gateshead already put to the sword!

It probably says a lot that I wasn't even sure where exactly Blyth was. Like my character, I've spent the bulk of my life in southern England with a primary school stint in Scotland - my knowledge of northern England and non-League football is hit and miss.

Will pick up the story once I've picked up FM again, which'll be some point tomorrow.

Blyth is about 30 mins car journey outside Newcastle and where i currently call home ;)

Janurary 2018

National League North: Gainsborough away: View attachment 70159

BBC Lincolnshire stopped me in the tunnel, having expected more changes to the team for today. I said that the team didn’t need any changes. As for the match itself, the guys didn’t waste time in opening the scoring but when Gainsborough took the **** out of our defence over a spell of five minutes, our fans must have wondered if they were watching a repeat of Telford. Pushing Dolling up front shifted us to a 4-3-3 though and Hemmings pulled one back before half time which meant that all I needed to do at the interval was kick the guys further on and then later on, send Karl on to freshen things up, my right-hand-man setting up one of Waite’s late goals that completed an amazing comeback! Happy New Year Boston United fans!

The post match press conference dealt with Frecklington blaming the pitch! Well it was his pitch for crying out loud, that just made him sound ridiculous. I had to give credit to his centre-mid Freddy Yao though, who put on a solid performance. They wanted me to talk about Stockport’s form, which I wasn’t very concerned about but I had to admit, that was one **** of a match.

I also get Britton to go after Alex Roughton

National League North: Tamworth at home: View attachment 70157

Well this wasn’t what I or the fans hand in mind. Uneventful first half after which I try the switch to 4-3-3 again but it doesn’t work so well this time. Tamworth take the lead through a penalty, Waite gets an equaliser but rather than completing the turnaround, it’s Tamworth that go home with three points.

My mood is lifted by an old school mate texting me after the match to say that Brentford beat Fulham 2-1 in the FA Cup 3rd​ round.

National League North: Spenneymoor at home: View attachment 70156

Plenty of changes to the team this time round, taking into account players returning from injury and well…the Tamworth performance being dire. Spenneymoor are a team we know how to beat however. Smoothly does it, phew.

Next up, we manage to snap Roughton up from Dulwich Hamlet. Given the first team’s current form, I want to give him match practice in the under-23s first but barring more players getting poached, (Torquay scouts have been sniffing round Wakefield) that’s probably my transfer business done and dusted.

FA Trophy 2nd​ round: Blyth at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached): View attachment 70155

Blyth are another team we know how to beat and beat them we do. Hemmings taking a knock not long after scoring the opener is the only down point on a very solid performance from the guys. The board wanted me to reach the 2nd​ round in the competition, and we have even managed to win a 2nd​ round match. A Trophy run is now very much on.

The FA Trophy 3rd​ round is the eqiuivilent on the FA Cup 5th​ round. 16 sides left in the competition. And we find we're facing Eastleigh away, one of the better sides in the National League Premier.

As it turns out, they’ve got an FA Cup 3rd​ round replay coming up against L2 Cambridge…worth hauling down there. What I see makes me very nervous, a National League Premier side capable of smoothly beating an L2 side 2-0 away from home. We’re going to have our work cut out. On the train home I check out some footage that an old schoolmate of mine has emailed over. He works as a volunteer for National League South side Hampton and Richmond Borough. They just got beaten 2-1 by Maidstone in an FA Trophy 2nd​ round replay. I offer my commiserations.

I get a surprise text from Jake Taylor, my old centre mid partner at Exeter. “The boss wants to know if Liam Wakefield might be available”. I raise my eyebrows “Tell the boss he only needed to ask – it would be a pity to lose such a great header of a ball but the guy wants to play at a higher level. He’s more than welcome to talk to you guys”.

The return to league action takes us to North Ferriby, gaffered by Steve Horsham who has already proven to be one of this division’s biggest fools. He tries to rebuild bridges in the media, I say that I appreciate the effort. He then tries to claim that the upcoming match is unimportant, and I can’t resist telling the BBC Lincolnshire guy that it seems like he isn’t up for the fight.

National League North: North Ferriby away:

On the pitch, my guys are running like a well oiled machine at this point. North Ferriby do well to start with, enough to make me wonder if I shouldn’t have shot my mouth off but the guys take care of business, two up at half time, 3-0 at full time, no worries.

Post match, I suggest that Horsham let himself get too wound up by things and eventually he admits that he got taken to the cleaners both on and off the pitch.

In the meantime, things between Wakefield and Exeter move forward, Tisdale decides to offer my guy a contract, which gets the attention of the journos. At which I admit publicly that as a guy who played under Tisdale for eight years, five as his captain I’m expecting the deal for Wakefield to be pretty smooth, we both know each other well enough. Plus, I’m confident of keeping our current form going.

The fixture schedule proved frustrating though. Our home league match against Blyth clashed with the FA Cup 4th​ round match between Eastleigh and Brentford. For both personal and professional reasons I wanted to watch that match but I settled for sending a scout around.

National League North: Blyth at home: View attachment 70154

Blyth are a team we know how to beat right? Well yeah, we still beat them but it proved way messier than it usually does. Our visitors opened the scoring with a penalty. Hemmings equalising before half time gave be some confidence that we could turn it round and a Vince scorcher sealed the deal in the end.

The Eastleigh vs Brentford footage shows my old team put my upcoming Trophy opponents to the sword pretty smoothly but the Bees have improved since my day, they are now an established Championship side. My Pilgrims will still have their work cut out.

The Wakefield to Exeter transfer proves pretty smooth, only downside is…as the git always refused to sign a contract, we don’t get any money out of the deal. Paul Tisdale sends up a case of Otter ale and that’s it. And our main defender potentially isn’t the last guy who’ll be bailing. Downey has Harrogate, one of our National League North rivals sniffing after him. I offer a contract, he says he’ll think about it, and then I find Harrogate are also offering him a contract. Nervy.

And yeah, walking through town I get dragged into a pub by some nutter who buys me a beer and says that Bradford City are considering me as their next permanent manager. I do some Googling… they’ve currently got Kenny Black who I vaguely remember the playing days of serving as their interim manager. They’re I played against enough times in three divisions and they even had a stint in the Premiership. I would still be a pretty big gamble for such a team as their manager. Chances are the guy was just nuts.

National League North: Brackley away: View attachment 70152

Well we were leading at half time here and I thought this would just be another win. When Diedrick-Roberts restored our lead, I thought we were sorted…but then the wheels came off. Has Wakefield’s departure disrupted us defensively? Almost certainly…just have to hope that we’ll be back in business soon enough.

Janurary did end on a reasonably positive note though, Hemming came 3rd​ in the National League North player of the month awards.

2017/18 season:
National League North: 2nd
FA Trophy: 3rd round

February 2018

Downey signs a new contract with us till the end of next season. Phew.

FA Trophy 3rd​ round: Eastleigh away: View attachment 69914

This is it. On top of everything else for someone who has lived the bulk of their life in southern England, this is the first time I’ve taken a team “down south” as a manager for a competitive match. The big thing in our favour? They have a load of their more impressive players out through either injury or Cup ties. And yet, smooth as ever, they open the scoring pretty much immediately. We're not going down without a fight though so get the guys to attack more and they do the business beyond my wildest dreams, turning the match around before Eastleigh know what’***** them! Hemmings supplies the icing on the cake in the second half with a free kick…****** ****…mind blown!

The FA Trophy quarter final draw puts us at home against whoever wins an all-National League Premier replay between Bromley and Guiseley at home. This means I’m hauling down to Bromley to watch said replay.

What I see is a very solid match that could have gone either way. In the end, Bromley win it 2-1. Very good team, but let’s see what happens when we take them on.

National League North: Curzon Ashton at home: View attachment 69913

Back to the bread and butter, not a bad performance from us in the first half but we couldn’t hit the net. I tell the guys to keep pushing and Hemming slots two goals in quick succession which pretty much secures another three points.

After the match, Stuart Thompson, a pretty solid BBC Lincolnshire journo tells me at a press conference that word is, Forest Green are interested in my services. From what I hear, that club is in the L2 relegation mire. I shrug the story off…but buy the guy a beer afterwards and ask him what he knows about Bradford City being interested in me. He says he’s heard something about that, and similar talk regarding Doncaster, also L1, but has better intel regarding Forest Green. So that’s three Football League teams possibly considering my services…interesting…perhaps my time in non-League football will be relatively brief…

The Boston United board tell the press that they consider my shrugging off of the Forest Green rumours as further evidence of the loyalty to their cause. Well, this is an awesome group of players I have here and I would like to see out the season with them at least but I would still be an idiot to ignore interest from League clubs…and if two L1 sides are still interested in me…

We do a deal with Liam Adams to be loaned out to Dulwich Hamlet for the rest of the season. The Isthmian League side are a club that one of my alma matas, Millwall had a good relationship with, I’m sure he’ll do well there, Peter Senda says he’ll keep an eye on him.

National League North: Leamington at home: View attachment 69912

I remind my guys in the dressing room that losing to this lot was one of our more embarrassing moments of the season. It seems they do not need much more encouragement, we’re 2-0 up within ten minutes. 3-0 at half time, Leamington pull one back but I tell the guys to be more defensive in response…chalk up another three points.

National League North: Stockport away: View attachment 69911

On paper our toughest league match of the month…in practice the only one we didn’t win. A goal down at half time…a push from me results in King’s first goal for the club and at least means we get a point out of Stockport and finish the month unbeaten in league terms.

I find out that Brentford’s FA Cup run has ended with a 3-0 defeat away to West Ham but MUFC have still reached the quarter finals of that competition.

I get Karl to tutor Dolling.

FA Trophy quarter final: Bromley at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH - match file attached): View attachment 69910

The media actually have us as favourites to win this one, Bromley’s form is that bad. Sure enough, Hemmings opens the scoring in twenty four seconds though Bromley equalise before half time. No goals in the second half mean that as agreed, the match goes to extra time, the first time I’ve managed a team in these conditions. Tshimanga’s first goal since coming back from injury is very welcome but Bromley soon equalise. Ultimately we take advantage of a knackered Bromley defence to blow them apart after that. And then I pinch myself. I’ve just taken a sixth tier team to the FA Trophy semi finals.

The semi final draw sees us due to take on the winner of the Maidenhead vs Gainsborough replay that’s in just a couple of days time. Later research says that this will be my first two-legged tie as a manager with the 1st​ leg away. To Maidenhead I haul. The National League Premier side sees off Trinity 2-1 with a solid performance but right now, no non-League opponent scares me.

The month still ends on a minor downer when I hear that Danny Wilson has snapped up the Doncaster job without me even getting so much as an interview. Forest Green have gone with Alan Curbishley(he must have been desperate) and off the record, Stuart Thompson reckons that interest from Bradford City has cooled as well. Ah well, these clubs obviously wanted someone NOW and bailing out on Boston United after less than a season is unthinkable. I admit that if I had heard about the interest from League clubs back in December then I wouldn’t have been so quick to extend my contract but what’s done is done. Keeping Downey on board meant promising him that we’ll make the playoffs. I intend to be around to keep that promise then see what happens in the summer.

League management can wait – I still have work to do here.

17/18 season:
National League North: 3rd
FA Cup: Knocked out after 1st round replay
FA Trophy: Semi finals

March 2018

First order of business this month proves to be watching a match between our under 18s side and a “Youth candidates” team. The youth candidates blow the arses off our established lot 6-1 with centre-mid Bobby Knowles proving to be a kid after my own heart with his passing ability. Needless to say, he and the bulk of his teammates get given youth contracts.

National League North: Harrogate at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached): View attachment 69552

Focus back on the first team, Hemmings hits a hat-trick on his 27th​ birthday! My deadliest assassin has multiple League teams sniffing after him so it’s surely only a matter of time before I’m going to have to let him go but Chapman’s injury proves to be the only cloud on the horizon today.

That injury turns out to be a torn calf muscle – his season’s done for certain and not only that, he’s arsey with me when I try and offer sympathy and tell him to focus on his recovery.

Naeem then gets himself injured in training and he’s out for a week and a bit, that’s less of a concern though. I have another go at signing Ben Clappison but wages prove to be a pain in the backside.

National League North: York away: View attachment 69550

This looked reasonably straightforward on paper but going two down at half time did not put me in a good mood, was Chapman’s injury having an effect? Telling the guys to show me something else resulted in one **** of a turnaround though…only for York to come up with the latest of equalisers. Annoying.

A couple of personel issues needed to be resolved in the meantime. Jan Yeomans, one of our up and coming kids wants some first team action – I decide to offer him out on loan…a few possibilities are already coming through. And then Roughton wants to know when he’ll make his first team debut. Can’t be certain on that, he’s not overly happy with that but will live with it.

National League North: FC United at home: View attachment 69549

And the guys are back to winning ways. Another Hemmings hat-trick and Tshimanga is starting to return to form. The Reds gave me something to think about in the second half, but nothing my guys couldn’t handle.

Yeomans gets loaned out to Southern League Premier side Slough for the rest of the season.

FA Trophy semi final 1st​ leg: Maidenhead away: View attachment 69548

They knocked my former Exeter teammates out of the FA Cup. They knocked Hampton and Richmond, the team my old schoolmate works for, out of the Trophy. And they are the only thing standing between me and a trip to Wembley in my first season as a manager. And to my guys they are just another opponent. Hemmings does what he does early on…just when I think we’ve got a massive win wrapped up…Maidenhead find an equaliser…only for them to gift us the win when one of their guys puts the ball in his own net. Warm up the Delorean…right now we’re on course for Wembley.

I give Hemmings another pat on the back, he’s one of the few guys that did know of me, he had a brief spell at Plymouth while I was an Exeter though we never matched up against each other.

In the meantime, while Karl took the guys back up north, I got the train to London. An old mate of mine was getting married and part of the stag weekend involved the stag party coming to Maidenhead to watch our match, then a party in the part of London suburbia where we grew up…then a trip across London the following day to watch the FA Cup quarter final between West Ham and MUFC at the Olympic Stadium before I get the train back up north. The Reds won 2-1, I got to hold court talking about the Pilgrims’ season and some journo from Four Four Two spotted me…but worked out why I was there.

In the meantime…North Ferriby are now officially relegated. They got rid of Horsham a while back, their season clearly written off – some say that our 7-0 hammering of them back in September holed them below the waterline early on.

National League North: Chorley away: View attachment 69547

3rd​ vs 2nd​. A potential playoff final…and if so, not exactly a vintage display from us. Chorley were very much the better team but switching to 4-3-3 did secure us a point at least. Could have been worse.

I offer Vince a new contract, reflecting the fact that he’s turned into a very reliable midfielder.

FA Trophy semi final 2nd​ leg: Maidenhead at home: View attachment 69546

90 minutes from Wembley right? Ultimately this one’s on me. Despite Karl’s advice, I told the guys to just sit back and hold Maidenhead off. The 1st​ half went to plan at least but then Maidenhead stepped up a gear and once they found a rhythm they couldn’t be held off! Well…we were the last National League North team standing in the competition but I simply got too cocky for my team’s good. A lesson to bear in mind for the tail end of the season.
Kidderminster have secured playoff spot. As of this season, that means they have secured a spot in the top seven with over a month to go but as division leaders…they have bigger ambitions that that of course, they’ve just been too good this season.

I secure King to an actual contract, the guy’s proven solid since Wakefield’s departure.

Karl tells me that we could secure our spot in the playoffs with a draw in our next match, depending on results elsewhere. My jaw drops – I was pretty sure it was only a matter of time before we secured a playoff spot but…to be this close? Maidenhead had to be forgotten about pretty quickly.

Slight problem, our next match is at home to Kidderminster, pretty massive. And that means journos. My opposite number John Eustace is the latest one to snark about the York Street pitch. They want to know about what happened against Maidenhead…I tell them we have a lot to prove after that farce. Hemmings? He’s had an awesome season and we’re going to have our work cut out keeping hold of him given the attention’s he’s getting from League clubs. Eustace’s comments about the pitch? I shrug them off. Our getting caned by Kidderminster last time round? I plan to at least give them a match this time. Kidderminster’s form in general? Well…they’ve been too good for everyone this season. Kidderminster’s main striker Lewis Reilly? I shrug my shoulders. Our own title chances? I just about keep a straight face…this was the first time I’d even considered that possibility. I say that I intend to secure qualification for the playoffs and win them rather than think about the title. As for us securing a playoff spot after this match, we’ll see what happens.

National League North: Kidderminster at home: View attachment 69545

In the dressing room, I remind the guys that Kidderminster caned us last time round and that I want to at least give them a match this time. In the tunnel…I shrug off questions from BBC Lincolnshire about what might happen today or our supposed title chances. On the pitch…Tshimanga opens the scoring early doors and Kidderminster can’t respond before half time. I tell the guys to keep it up. Hemmings makes it two in the second half and it looks as though we might pull off an unbelievable win. Kidderminster come back though and then equalise in injury time. As I told the journos…these Harriers are too good, just getting a point feels like one **** of an achievement compared to the Maidenhead match.

In theory, a point means that a playoff spot could be wrapped up – but all we hear about initially is that Salford have secured a spot. Ah well…we still have an entire month to go in the regular season.

Beatson pulling his groin, putting him out for over a week is less than ideal going into the final run in.
So we all head for home…not realising that the evening game could have an impact. Then at 9:30pm I’m having a glass of wine with Stacey when I get a phone call from Lacey…Tamworth have lost 4-3 to North Ferriby of all teams…having been asked to only secure a top half finish…we’ve just secured a playoff spot! It’s a good thing my shock stuns me into silence otherwise I’d have woken Rick up. I stand there…it sinking in that despite some disasterous results…the extent of my achievements in my first season as a manager!
Before the end of the month though…some contracts need to be sorted out. Staff don’t give me any trouble. Chapman is arsey but no one else is after him so as good a player as he is, he doesn’t have an option but to consider my offer. Hemmings is different. This guy has played League football before, will do so again and knows it. As does his agent. I try to cut a deal but his demands are just too much.

Hemmings isn’t the only one getting attention though. Karl and I meet up for a beer to celebrate securing a playoff spot and he tells me that he’s heard from a contact at one of his old teams, Mansfield, that they’re considering the possibility of hiring me as their manager. They’re currently midtable L2 and he’s also heard from McGuire that Tranmere, currently midtable in National League Premier might be interested in snapping me up. We shall see what happens…with both teams being midtable, I doubt they’ll be in a rush to sign me up though if we get Boston promoted then Tranmere won’t have so much appeal.

The month finishes with Hemmings securing the Player of the Month award. I congratulate him and he seems very happy indeed.

Five games to go to secure a top three spot, which would give us a bye into the playoff semi finals.

2017/18 season

Team: Boston United:
National League North: 3rd(playoff spot secured)
FA Cup: Knocked out after 1st round replay
FA Trophy: Knocked out in semi finals

April 2018

National League North: Nuneaton away: View attachment 69464

Nuneaton looked a reasonably safe opponent to give Roughton his first team debut against and in the first half he did solidly enough while we went two up. He didn’t prove so reliable in the second half however, so we only got out with a point. Ah well.

We remain 3rd​. Chorley secure their spot in the playoffs but the bigger jawdropper is that Salford have out of nowhere, overhauled Kidderminster at the top of the league. That is not good news. I’d rather face Kidderminster than Salford in a playoff final. Four regular season games to go.

Chpaman decides to sign a new contract, good. BBC Lincolnshire want my take on how things are going to play out with Roughton. I can only cross my fingers.

One of our young guns, Tom Hirst gets a pro contract and I offer a contract to free agent defend Emmanuel Omrore after a trial goes reasonably well. He’s also wanted by National League South Poole but we’ll see what happens.

National League North: Darlington away: View attachment 69462

John Nicholson, an old playing rival of mine from Exeter vs Torquay matches a few years back has just become the first National League North manager to do the double over me. Embarrassing performance from my guys, we were never really in the game here.

Despite the balls up, we remain in 3rd​. Kidderminster retake Salford at the top. Three regular season games to go.

Omrore signs for us…but can’t play for us till next season. Annoying.

Apparantly it’s voting time for the division’s Player of the Season award. I can’t vote for my own players. Two of the candidates play for Salford so I decide to wait till our final regular season match against them to make my decision.

Mansfield and Tranmere decide not to interview me, going with Carlos Courberin and Lee Clark respectively. Given my guys current form, I can’t blame them.

National League North: Bradford PA at home: View attachment 69460

It’s time to get our **** together right…apparently not. McGowan putting the ball in his own net was exasperating. Tshimanga pulls one back but suddenly we’ve found ourselves in freefall and I’m not sure why.

That proves one ballsup too many. Down to 4th​ with Salford now ahead of Kidderminster at the front. Harrogate are the latest team to have secured a playoff spot. Two regular season matches to go and I decide a team meeting is required to kick the guys out of their malaise. “Chins up, we all know we can do better than this”. “The boss is right, we haven’t been playing anywhere near well enough” “Exactly Ashley, now let’s do everything possible to wrap up that 3rd​ place”. I sign up two new scouts, Tom Craddock and Stephen MOreley, the latter from Tamworth.

National League North: Salford away: (MATCH OF THE MONTH – match file attached) View attachment 69459

Of all the matches to play when you need to get your **** together, away to the League leaders is not one of them. Yeah I also know that my guys when they are on it can get three points here. Salford are beatable, we know this and while no one fancies our chances, I set us up to counter attack and…well, my guys get three points out of Salford and I have a very big grin on my face. We’re back in business.

We remain in 4th​ despite the win. At the top, Kidderminster overhaul Salford. John Eustace owes me a beer. One regular season game to go.

There are ten National League North nominees and two of them are my guys, Tshimanga and Hemmings. I cannot vote for them. The opponents I’ve been impressed by the most are Kidderminster and of the two nominees from there, I decide to give my vote to Lewis Reilly, who hit a hat-trick against us at their place.

I give a trial to Danny East, a right back, now 26 who I played against a few tines for Exeter. This gets the attention of BBC Lincolnshire who ask if I’m planning to sign him up. All I say is…”don’t know yet”.

After that press conference, it’s the train down to London. A mate has tickets to the MUFC vs Bournemouth FA Cup semi final at Wembley. Even having played at Wembley, I’m still in awe of watching a match there as a fan, particularly when your team pulls off the best comeback since Barca ’99 to win 3-2. Then the late train home.

National League North: Telford at home: View attachment 69458

The guys had a chance to get payback for a 7-2 hammering here and coming in 1-0 up at half time said that everything was going to plan. Then Downey got injured, not part of any plan at this stage of the season. Then we gave away a penalty and it got slotted. We weren’t able to find a second goal. Two points lost right at the end.

The laugh is, if we had won that match, we would have secured 3rd​ place. As it is, Kidderminster took their deserved title, Chorley secured a play off semi final, Leamington and Stockport wrapped up the other playoff spots while Curzon Ashton and Southport get relegated.

What I don’t need, is Downey out for the rest of the season with a twisted ankle. Bollocks – need that like a hole in the head.

4th​ place means that me and my guys are three matches away from the National League Premier. The first of those matches will be against Stockport at home. If we win that, we’re headed back to Salford for the semi.

My opposite number Jim Gannon, an Irish guy who I vaguely remember playing for Stockport back in the 90s is clearly nervous as ****.

Then it’s my turn. Do I think Hemmings will win player of the season? I certainly think he’s in the mixer. What’s my take on concerns about the pitch? Zzzzz. The playoff system? It is what it is. Gannon’s talk about pressure? I’m as nervous as he is.

Both our regular season matches have been draws, Gannon’s crew are not mugs. We’ve had the better regular season. They have the status. I have two of the deadliest assassins in the league but two of my best midfielders out injured. When I came up here, I didn’t dare dream of us making the playoffs but here I am, this is what’ll decide my first season in management. If I want attention from League or National League Premier teams in the summer…I really need to get my crew to beat Gannon’s crew.

Here we go.

2017/18 season:
National League North: 4th(qualified for playoffs)
FA Trophy: Knocked out in semi finals:
Playoffs: Start in May

Last edited:
May 2018

Stacey had a hard time getting me to go to sleep that night. I remembered all the playoffs that I had played in. The First Division playoffs with Millwall back in ’02. The L1 playoffs, twice with Brentford in ’05 and ’06 and the last one, the one we were all there for, the L2 playoffs with Exeter last year. I never won a playoff as a player, never achieved promotion with a team. And these aren’t playoffs as I’m used to them. No second leg… if things don’t go to plan tonight, the season is over.

National League North playoffs 1st​ round: Stockport at home(MATCH OF THE MONTH - match file attached: ) View attachment 69328

In the dressing room, I remind the guys that we’re meant to be favourites, to go out there and do the business and remind Rollins that I picked him for a reason. In the tunnel, BBC Lincolnshire ask me about Downey’s injury…we’re just have to deal with it. My hopes for this match? It wouldn’t be right if we didn’t win. The fact that if things don’t go to plan, then on top of everything else, barring a miracle, this is Hemmings last appearance in a Boston United shirt. Well…the guy has been amazing this season, maybe we’ll do something for him when the dust has settled. On the pitch, the man of the moment and Rollins strike in quick succession. Stockport never do bow down but even after they pull one back I do not tell the guys to just hold them off. We keep coming at them, they keep coming at us…but when the dust settles, it is Stockport’s promotion dreams that end tonight! And I’ve got that big grin on my face. One down, two to go.

Post-match…journos ahoy. BBC Radio Manchester, Manchester Evening News, Stockport Express. Not exactly friendly probably. Keeping our unbeaten run over Stockport going? It’s nice but not important – I’m just in the business of winning games. Our habit of scoring goals from close range? That’s just how the game plays out. Tshimanga’s relatively weak performance. My guys won, it’s hardly a big concern.

I then find out from the non-League Paper that Gannon’s been stirring things up, I just try and laugh him off.

So that means we’ve got Salford away in the semi finals. And it seems hardly any time at all before I’m having to deal with journos regarding that match. Stuart Thompson, the BBC Lincolnshire guy and Jack Daniels from the Non-league paper, both guys I know now. How much of an effect will the Stockport match have on this one? We need to keep working hard. Do I fancy our chances? Yes. Are the players looking forward to possibly appearing in the final. Let’s focus on this one. My take on opposite number Anthony Johnson? I don’t really know the guy. My final word is that we’ll win this as long as we stick to the gameplan.

And then the coach to Salford, I’m a lot more relaxed this time…

National League North playoffs semi final: Salford away: View attachment 69326

The plan was, same as the regular season game here last month. Set the guys up to counter and tell them to stay chilled. Daniels asks me in the tunnel about one of Salford’s Jack Redfearn being out injured, I tell him I’m not too concerned. On the pitch, the plan itself goes amazingly well but then one of the new guys hits two himself to send us into the first half level. I tell the guys to keep things going. We know this plan works right? Not this time. Carl Pergianni, a former Pilgrim apparently, hit the winner for them…and we are done.

After the match, more journos, Thompson and Daniels again. My take on the mistake Rollins made that led to Salford’s winner? He’ll learn. The fact that we threw away a two goal lead? Annoying. What’s wrong with our defence? Don’t know. The fact that we conceded just before half time? Doesn’t matter, goals get conceded any time during the match. Tshimanga had a great game didn’t he? Well he’s a great player. As did their guy Emmanuel Dieseruve? He was also brilliant.

So…homeward bound, and one last team meeting back at York Street to get the guys fired up for next season. Interesting that Hemmings is helping me fire the guys up. I’ll be very surprised if I’ll be able to keep him around for next season.

Lacey sends me an eyebrow raising article. Barthelmy Nagatsono, the Congo gaffer was at the semi final. Apparantly, Tshimanga is eligible to play for them. As impressive as the guy is, Congo have to be pretty desperate if they’re looking for players in the English sixth tier…but…if Kabongo gets the call up then I’ll be ****** delighted for him.

The day after our season effectively ends though…Thompson rings me up, and this time it’s for the record. Word is that Wycombe are interested in me becoming their next manager This is a club I know relatively well, having played against them enough times for both Brentford and Exeter…and likewise they know me. They also got caught up in the L2 relegation battle this season and there’s no way that should have happened. I pause, and tell Stuart, for the record, that I wouldn’t turn that gig down.

The response from the Boston board to my statement is they want to keep me around, particularly as I do still have a year left on my contract but they won’t get in my way. The Wycombe fans want me signed up. It requires another conversation with Stacey. As a player, I never did bail on a club after just one season…but as a player…I never really got attention from elsewhere after just one season either, particularly not from two levels up.

Untill I hear from Wycombe though…I am still Boston United manager, and as such I have to take a phonecall from Daniels. Notts County have joined the chase for Hemmings – would I be willing to let him go? I tell him that I wouldn’t have much of an option but to do so, the guy wants to play League football.

Tshimanga’s response is to tell the media that he still hopes his strike partner can stay and that Notts County may not be the right club for him.

Next up, look at fixing the defence. Danny East gets snapped up for next month with two more defenders and a goalie given trials.

It is however, also time to chill out more. Gary Neville, knowing I am an MUFC fan, invites me to the National League North playoff final between Salford and Chorley. Salford win 2-1 to secure promotion.

As far an on the pitch action goes, that’s this division wrapped up for the summer. On the way back from Salford, I hear that Lewis Reilly, the Kidderminster guy that I voted for, has won the division’s player of the season award.

Next up is the division’s manager of the season award. I am one of ten candidates…but of course can’t vote for myself. I go with John Eustace, Kidderminster have easily been the best team I’ve seen in this division. I’m not really sure I fancy my own chances given that I didn’t even pick up any Manager of the Month awards this season

My mate who works at Wembley stadium, has secured tickets for both the FA Cup and FA Trophy finals. The Cup final is United vs Spurs, United get two guys sent off but still take it to extra time before succumbing 4-2.

In the meantime, I get a few emails regarding stuff. Senda recommends we try and sign FC United defender James Graham. I contact the Reds to make an enquiry.

Heading back to Wembley the following day, Aldershot beat Maidenhead 2-1 in the trophy final…then it’s the train back to Boston.

I eventually cut a deal with FC United for Graham…only to find that he himself is unwilling to sign a contract with us! Scratch that idea.

I do however offer contracts to full back Louis Yulil, central defender Anthony Brise and goalie Liam Wakefield. Yulil accepts. If Brise and Wakefield do likewise we are sorted defensively and can possibly think about offloading Roughton who’s proving an expensive mistake.

Anthony Johnson wins the National League North Manager of the season award. An eyerow raiser given his side proved solid but not exactly bulletproof.

I make another effort to resign Hemmings but again his wage demands make it impossible…and I have to admit to Stuart Thompson that it’s very unlikely we’ll see him in a Boston shirt again.

Karl says that he’s ending his playing career at the end of the coming season, fair enough, he’s older than I am and has too many quality younger strikers ahead of him in the pecking order – even after the inevitable departure of Hemmings. As assistant manager, he suggests that my old Brentford teammate Eddie Hutchinson, currently out of work, might be interested in coaching the under 18s. I give Eddie a yell, see if he’s up for coaching a promising bunch of kids.

Hemmings’s agent doesn’t even want to talk to me again but at least I’m able to offer contracts to staff who haven’t been snapped up for next season.

2017/18 season:

National League North: 4th(qualified for playoffs)
FA Trophy: Knocked out in semi finals
National League North playoffs: Knocked out in semi finals

(next up - a season review, including a few profile screenshots)

Last edited:
Unlucky in the playoffs but still an interesting overall season and one that will stand you in good stead for the coming season, whether it's still in Boston or elsewhere

2017/18 season review

Back in June 2017, I decided to leave Exeter City, the club I had played for for the previous eight years and captained for the previous five, in the hope of starting a career as a manager. Despite two L1 clubs giving me the honour of an interview, I realistically knew that that career would have to start at a much lower level. In July, Boston United, a National League North side based in a small town in Lincolnshire proved to be it.

This was unfamiliar territory at multiple levels, I barely had enough time to get my feet under the table before my new team’s first pre-season friendly. I just nodded along when the board said we would finish in the top half of the table, I had no idea what to expect. By the end of pre-season though I had had time to hire fresh blood in terms of both players and staff and beating an old L2 foe of mine in Stevenage suggested that I had a squad with a lot of potential.

August saw the start of serious business and immediately we were raising eyebrows by drawing 1-1 away to Southport to start our National League North campaign. Wins took a while longer though but they did come and a 3-1 away win against former suitor FC United was very satisfying…as was my striker Kabongo Tshimanga winning the division’s player of the month award for August and my finishing 3rd​ in the manager of the month awards. Getting caned 5-1 away to eventual champions Kidderminster right afterwards…not so much, but then…

5th​ September 2017: National League North: North Ferriby at home(MATCH OF THE SEASON – match file attached - again): View attachment 69096View attachment 69096

Everyone says that this is the match where we really started getting people’s attention. This was the first match that I’d had a really tasty build up to, with opposite number Steve Horsham complaining about the pitch at our York Street ground – this would prove to be a running theme and I always laughed it off, relaying the ****** thing proved not to be an option anyway! They also say that this match was the first nail in Horsham and his team’s coffins…because it is very rare that you see a display of such dominance from a team, particularly in the first half here. To be in charge of that dominance was a very proud moment indeed.

The next couple of months proved to be a bit hit and miss in terms of league results, defeats at home to Darlington and a 7-2 humiliation away to Telford were not fun…and the latter even had the players clubbing together to reimburse our travelling fans. Yet the likes of Salford, Harrogate, Chorley, York, Blyth and Bradford PA all fell before us. At one point we even led the division briefly, we were certainly rarely out of the playoff spots – it was becoming obvious that we could easily exceed the board’s targets if we kept our form up.

Away from the league, the FA Cup starts in September at this level. Putting two lower division sides to the sword easily in that month set us up with my first televised match as a football manager in the 4th​ qualifying round in October, an all-National League North tie against Spenneymoor at home which saw us win 3-0 to enter the competition proper in November. Drawn against L1 Rochdale away, the pressure was very much off but I managed to engineer a 3-3 draw to force the L1 side back to our place for a replay. I still say Rochdale proved too good for us in the replay, the fans still think that match was ours for the taking, we lost 3-1 anyway.

The thing that did gut me after the replay was Tshimanga doing his hamstring, putting him out of action for three months. Luckilly by the end of December, his strike partner Ashley Hemmings was more than picking up the slack. In the league, we kept doing what we did and in the meantime, this season saw my first experience of the FA Trophy. Putting eight-tier Mossley to the sword in the 4th​ qualifying round set us up with a home tie against National League Premier outfit Gateshead in December. The board saw this match as a must win which made me nervous but the guys came through, seeing off our more fancied opponents 2-0.

One of the biggest what-the-**** moments of the season came when Ciaran O’Loughlin, a goalie I’d signed in pre-season suddenly got poached by Northern Premier League Kettering not long before Xmas. Which meant I had to resort to the previous incumbent George Willis. Still, I’d done enough for the board to offer an extension to what had been a one-season contract. I signed it for the pay-raise and peace of mind.

2018 started with me outsmarting my Gainesorough opposite number for a 4-3 away win and Janurary on the whole proved to be more of the same in the league. Having to let go of Luke Wakefield, who had proved to be our best defender was a bummer but he wanted League football and I got to send him to my old team Exeter to get it. I only got a case of Otter ale in return from my old gaffer Paul Tisdale given that Wakefield never signed a contract but so be it.

The Trophy…well…for a competition I had never followed before, we wound up doing pretty well in it. Seeing off fellow National League North side Blyth was one thing, but I really didn’t fancy our chances away to on form National League Premier side Eastleigh in the next round – they looked frightening! Luckilly we caught them in the middle of an injury crisis but it still takes more than luck to see off such a side 3-1. Then came another National League Premier side, Bromley in the quarter finals. That match went to extra time before we took advantage of their knackered defence to win 5-2.

By the end of February, it was pretty much inevitable we were going to make the playoffs, largely thanks to Hemmings proving white-hot, in fact when Tshimanga did return it took a while to get him back in the starting lineup. Slight problem, Hemmings on form was getting him attention from multiple League clubs – already I knew that we were going to have our work cut out keeping him on for next season.

By the end of February though, I was starting to hear that I myself was getting attention from League clubs as a prospective manager, and regretting extending my contract. One thing I did know for certain was…I wanted to see out this season with Boston, so when the journos got wind of the initial attention on me, I shrugged it off.

The tail end of March proved to be a mixed bag. On the one hand, a 2-1 away win in an FA Trophy semi final 1st​ leg match against National League Premier side Maidenhead should have set us on course for Wembley…only for us to fall apart to the tune of 4-0 in the home leg, ending that run in disgrace. We had to put that behind us though and did…a 2-2 home league draw with Kidderminster plus favours from elsewhere secured our playoff spot with five games to spare and Hemmings secured the division’s Player of the Month award for March in the process.

The less said about April the better, other than a 1-0 away win to Salford which flat-tyred their title campaign. Finishing 4th​ in the regular season meant that if we were going to play in the National League Premier next season, we were going to have to go the long way round. The first hurdle was cleared with a 2-1 home win over 7th​ placed Stockport but our return to Salford for the semi final saw us fall to a 3-2 defeat, and that was that.

No sooner was the season over than I heard from a friendly journo that after a bad season in L2, Wycombe wanted to hire me as their new manager. As of the end of May I’m still waiting to hear from them officially but would certainly be interested, now I’ve seen out the season with Boston. In the meantime, while I’ve tried to persuade Hemmings to stay, his wage demands have proved impossible. None of the League clubs have offered him a contract yet though. I’ve still signed a few new defenders for next season though.

Let’s see what happens next season.

A season in…and here’s what my record looks like: View attachment 69095

Boston players I would consider signing if I became Wycombe manager:

Ashley Hemmings: It’ll take Ethan Hunt to keep him at Boston but if I'll was Wycombe gaffer I'd become one of the guys chasing him. View attachment 69094

Kabongo Tshimanga: Future Congolese international? What sort of season could this guy have had if he hadn’t done his hamstring? Was a nominee for the division’s player of the season award even despite that. View attachment 69093

Dieter Downey: My personal favourite signing who went on to become my vice-captain. Has rarely if ever let me down on the left flank. View attachment 69089

And if I wind up staying in Boston for a second season…

Kanye Diedrick-Roberts: Another one of my signings but with established quality in the way, haven’t been able to give him much action. In-house replacement for Hemmings if I can tie him to a contract? View attachment 69088

June 2018

(over the course of the next two months, the top four tiers in Scotland and the top flights of Netherlands, Italy, Spain and Portugal will become managable)

So…time to offer Diedrick-Roberts a contract. I have to do some haggling on wages and he also has attention from Kidderminster but he would rather stay here so that’s promising.

Then I get a call from Daniels…Guiseley are meant to be interested in me. Guiseley finished last season in National League Premier and aren’t in good financial shape but well, neither were Boston and it would still mean moving up a division so I tell him I’d be up for the challenge. So that’s two higher-division sides that might want to snap me up. Daniels tells me later off the record that York are also interested…but I wouldn’t go to a fellow National League North side, I am not that much of an arsehole.

In the meantime, I still have to assume I’ll remain at Boston United next season. Eddie then signs up as our Under 18s coach and more importantly, Wakeman signs up, initially on trial for a few days. This means I can offload Roughton. Lowestoft come in for him and that’s that problem solved.

Transfer dealings done, time to start arranging a few pre-season friendlies. I like the idea of the guys doing a mini-tour of the part of London I grew up in so give contacts at Isthmian League Kingstonian and Hampton and Richmond a yell, they’re both up for it. Then I think getting Exeter up here is a good idea only for Paul Tisdale to say “sorry mate, more trouble than it’s worth for us”. Maybe getting the local L2 side, Lincoln over here is worth a go instead.

Lincoln say…”game on”. Diedrick-Roberts signs up to a new contract. The Boston board’s response to the interest from Guiseley is the same as it was to the Wycombe speculation, they’d rather keep me on but won’t get in my way and the Guiseley fans would also like me there. Not that that counted for anything with Wycombe. They may know me but they know their own better so snap up Mark Cooper, who played for them back in the mid-90s. Would have been nice to get an interview at least though.

Then comes the new day when my new signings officially sign on and I get grilled by Thompson and Daniels. How do I feel about these new signings? I’m delighted to have them. Omrore didn’t make the grade at Crystal Palace, can he do so here? I have a lot of faith in the guy. Birse is only 19, a more long term plan? Yeah. East has bounced around a lot of club, right? I know that, don’t care. Can East do the business when needed? Yes. Can Birse do the business when needed? Yes. Do I know Birse at all? No. How do I expect these new signings to affect club morale? I expect them to give it a boost.

David Newton hauls me in…and offers to raise the wage budget, I’m happy to roll with that.

15th​ June is Rick’s 8th​ birthday, party with the friends he’s made in Boston, at the very least it looks like I won’t be a League manager this coming season, I’ll be in the National League Premier at most.

It’s also World Cup time, Rick’s first time watching international football though I took him to the Cup and Trophy finals at Wembley back in May as well as the United vs Bournemouth semi in April. Unfortunately his first experience of international football involves England getting caned 3-0 by the Argies, I have to reassure him that the Argies are actually a ****** good team.

It’s suggested that I help Eddie improve his coaching qualifications – well I talk to Newton about that but he doesn’t think the club can afford to do so. Bummer

I then get Thompson grilling me on the situation with Hemmings. My chief assassin from last season has plenty of higher-division sides chasing him but hasn’t been offered a contract by any of them but I have to be honest though and say that it is very unlikely we’ll be able to cut a deal with the guy at this point.

In the World Cup…England play out what is effectively a repeat of the 0-0 zzzzfest with Algeria from 2010, don’t think Rick likes this international football thing.

The board cut deals for friendlies with various lower-league clubs that I have never heard of, including Boston Town(yes, this small town in Lincolnshire apparently have more than one football club) but more interestingly, Middlesborough under 23s are coming here. That makes for a busy pre-season schedule but given that the regular season doesn’t start till mid-August this time around, there is more room to fit friendlies in.

I get Adie Britton to see if he can cut a last-ditch deal to keep Hemmings around, rather him than me.

One thing for certain is…it looks like I will be here for a second season. Guiseley have not bothered to interview me and instead signed up a former Welsh international called Craig Davies who’s actually younger than me and someone who I've crossed paths with but with better coaching badges. The board want me to repeat our playoff run this time round, but they’ll settle for 1st​ and 2nd round proper in the Cup and Trophy respectively. This could be the season that makes or breaks my managieral career.

England finally get a win in the World Cup, beating Australia 3-2 in a match that sees both my old teammate Tim Cahil score for the Aussies and Spurs’s Ben Gibson hit the winner for England as his first international goal. Unlike last time, we at least win a match in the tournament. For the second World Cup in a row though, we go out in the group stages, it’s the Argies and Algeria that go through.

As it turns out…Hemmings contract expires, making him a free agent with several clubs arguing over his services. That now apparantly includes Exeter…if I had known that when he was contracted to us I’d have offered him up.

July 2018

(oh yeah, the Romanian top flight is also now managable in this game)

The reaction to Hemmings departure isn’t brilliant but they don’t know how demanding him and his agent were being…I’m gutted to have to let the guy go but I have enough faith in the squad I have left.

With England out of the World Cup, Rick and I decide to catch France vs Italy in the 2nd​ round. Pretty solid match which leads to France winning a penalty shoot out after a 1-1 draw after extra time.

In the meantime, the players come back from holiday, though one or two feel it’s too soon. First up, fire them up by telling them that we can and will repeat our run to the playoffs this season. Then find 22 players, including a few call ups for the under 23s to take to my old London burbs stomping ground for a long weekend and a couple of matches. These 22 are pretty much going to be the guys I’ll be relying on for the season. It means a few of the new guys will need further development in the under 23s but so be it.

22 players on the coach south, check into hostel, good night’s sleep…

Friendly: Kingstonian away: View attachment 68610

The good thing about a team like the Ks is that they’re a good opponent to get a confidence boost against to open pre-season. Sure enough, the guys set about starting to prove to themselves that there is life after Ashley Hemmings by blowing them apart and I basically take players off as they get knackered. Can’t ask for anything more.

The next couple of days is effectively a weekend break for my 22. Training sessions in Bushy Park, quiz night, watching Uruguay beat Argentina 3-2 in the World Cup quarter finals over a beer…

Friendly: Hampton and Richmond away(MATCH OF THE MONTH match file attached): View attachment 68609

Same protocol as the Kingstonian match, against a more equal opponent in theory. Waite hit what turned out to be the winner early on but McGuire’s injury was way less than ideal. The opposition was good enough for our defence to be given a workout though but despite the changes throughout the second half, we held them off.

McGuire’s injury turned out to be a torn groin – he’s out for 3-4 months which of course includes a significant chunk of the regular season.. So we head back to Lincolnshire the following day with two wins but a crocked captain. Promoting vice-captain Downey to skipper was a no brainer, I was going to have to gamble on Adams at right mid. Vice-captain? Wasn’t sure yet.
Some fans were certainly crapping themselves about McGuire’s injury but there wasn’t much I could do about that. In the meantime, Rick and I watched France beat Uruguay 2-0 in their World Cup semi final. The fact that Belgium beat Russia in the other semi shows how weird this tournament had been.

Back on the coach for another match…

Friendly: Ashton United away: View attachment 68608

This lot turned out to be Northern Premier League. This wasn’t what looked like a vintage match but you certainly can’t argue with the result. Keane getting crocked after only five minutes was not what I had in mind though. Still, three pre-season matches, three wins.

This has not been a good preseason for injuries. Keane’s got a twisted ankle…he’s out for 4-5 weeks. Touch and go for the regular season and enough to make me consider coming out of playing retirement for what remained of pre-season just so the first choice guys didn’t get too knackered. Unfortunately the paperwork proved more trouble than it was worth but I’m having to give kids first team action as it is. At least it’s just pre-season for now but while Adams didn’t do badly at right mid against Ashton, whether he can handle National League North action remains to be seen. Otherwise I’ll need to loan a right mid from someone.

Rick’s first World Cup final is a 2-1 win for France over Belgium after extra time and the big news pre-match is Gareth Southgate quitting as England manager. No…I am not applying for that gig…yet. One of my predecessors as Boston gaffer was a certain Howard Wilkinson though…if I ever did become England manager then I would like to do better than him.

I then hear word that Ashley Hemmings has cut a deal with L2 Shrewsbury, on the sort of money he was asking us for. I’m pleased for the guy, remembering now when I first heard of him, he was in the Wolves team that won the Championship back in ’09, my last, nightmare season at that level.

I get invited to an England trials match in Woking, decide to give it a look see…wish I hadn’t, the one guy that could be useful to us is Jay Wilson, a 19-year old right mid that Middleborough just released and he got hardly any time anyway. Decide to give him a trial however.

Friendly: Lincoln at home: View attachment 68607

Our winning run ends but this was always arguably going to be a potential reality check and the guys didn’t do badly. Havard is a kid in the under 23s squad that I put in as back up against my better judgement, for him to score was pretty impressive but it’s probably still a good idea to put him back in the under 23s as soon as pre-season is done. My prayers for no more injuries fell on death ears however.

Chapman’s got torn knee ligaments and is out for 4-5 weeks, which means he misses the start of the regular season and is again arsey when I offer sympathy. Again I look into dusting off my boots for the remainder of pre-season, again the paperwork looks too intimidating.

Do secure Wilson’s services on a trial basis, let’s see what he can do against his old Middlesborough under 23 crew. Thompson asks whether I'll sign him to a permanent deal, I don't rule it out.

It is also my great pleasure to sign Bobby Bowles to a senior contract.

Fans freaking out over pre-season injury crisis, can’t say I blame them.

(note - the only reason I brought the players back so early was because I didn't realise the regular season started later than it did last season)

2018/19 season:
Friendlies: P4 W3 D1 L0
National League North: Starts in August
FA Cup: Starts in September
FA Trophy: Starts in December

Last edited: