kmitchell96

Reaction score
After reading a couple of books which are basically the same as everything posted on here I have decided to start a thread using my new Bournemouth save. In the Johnny Cooper books he goes through and sort of writes what has happened as if it is almost a diary. I will be doing this on a weekly basis, which will be each post.

I will go through each week and say what has happened as well as trying to create almost a back story behind me as the manager.

Back Story- K.Mitchell
So it had happened. I was now the youngest manager in English football at the age of 20. I had been appointed by Bournemouth. I had a quick start into becoming a manager. After being a well known young prospect from before the age of 10 I had attracted a lot of interest from big clubs whilst being at my boyhood club Walsall.

But a career ending injury at the age of 15 saw me fall into a state of hopelessness as I thought my life was over. But the management and workers at the club helped me out and told me to pursue coaching courses to become a manager.

I quickly moved through the courses and became a coach sooner rather than later at Walsall. After a good couple of seasons coaching I was attracting interest from clubs. Walsall were wanting to keep me on and mould me into the next manager but Bournemouth came in with an offer I just couldn't refuse.

I had been 20 for little less than a month and now I was a manager in the Championship. It wasn't going to be easy but I had to go for it. If I failed with the move I would rebuild my career from the ground up and continue to try in my pursuit of being a successful management.

8/7/2014- First Day
I was overwhelmed as I came into the club with messages of support and good wishes, as well as tasks I had to complete. It wasn't going to be an easy first day, I could tell that already. I had been in for a little less than 10 minutes when I met my boss, the Chairman, Jeff Mostyn. Apparently he loved the club so I just tried to stay on his good side.

He instantly told me I had been set up with 3 meetings and a press conference. The first was with him and then with the staff and players. The first meeting was all just simple questions, general chat asking about funds, philosophies, expectations. I was told to achieve mid table with a transfer budget of £1.5m, good enough for mid table I should think.

The meeting with the assistant manager then. Simple chat, asking what I would like help with. Told him to help with training and a few other things but nothing over the top. Then he asked about reports and a squad friendly. Both I said yes to.

Finally for meetings. The squad, the important meeting. Just general introductions, welcomes. Nothing big. Told them of the set expectations which they all agreed to, deep down though I wanted more, which they'd find out later.

Then the press conference. Just general questions. "Are you proud?", "What do you hope to achieve?", "Is your age going to be a barrier to success?". I just answered quickly and calmly to try and push through to the end of the day.

By the time I was allowed to leave though I had no more time to make any changes. I took the reports given to me by my assistant manager, set up a few meetings with the staff to try and see what needed to be done.

The staff meetings showed I needed a mix up. Most of the backroom staff would need offloading for better replacements. I knew it would cost money to get rid of them and bring in newbies but if I wanted to move forward I would have to improve them all.

So out of the 8 senior squad staff who were here I told 7 they wouldn't be staying under me. I had 4 3 fitness coaches, who didn't seem to know the first thing about fitness. A physio who was the equivalent of the school nurse. Oh and a couple of scouts who thought the best way of finding talent was looking around on the internet, useless.

I would spend the next week looking through to try and find replacements for them all before moving forward and starting with transfers. I also wanted to look at improving the facilities in the future, but I would look into that later in the season.

The rest of my time would just be focusing on the games and training. I would aim to find the best tactics, starting 11, etc. Everything before the first game of the season would be focusing on fitness and how to succeed.

I had 5 friendlies before the first game which was exactly a month from today, an away game on a trip to Huddersfield.

9/7/2014
So I had made it past the 24 hour mark. I'd come in for my second day with set goals for today. Start to sort out the backroom staff which I had yesterday ruined. Try to come up with some transfer targets, I already had a couple of ideas in mind but nothing set in stone.

I also had the game against my U21's set up for me for lunch time. I went to watch the game to get a general look at the squad. Two halves, two 11's. Nothing special just a chance to see everybody and judge. I did expect a win though.

Easy enough, 4-0. Wilson scored 2 in the first half on his way to man of the match. Ritchie also got a goal in the first half. Completely switched the team for the second half, nothing much happened. Kermorgant got one 5 minutes into the second half just to seal it. Didn't find out much about my first team, but I do know who will be leaving me.

I'd decided to scout the lads from Walsall, I'd worked with them before and knew them well, nothing come up so far. Also enquired about Freeman and Flint. Freeman is way too much, £7m! Flint is more realistic at £600k+clauses but doubtful I'll make the move for him.

I'd also brought in a fitness coach, coach and physio. They will join up tomorrow but glad to have got it done quickly.

10/7/2014
Another 2 coaches had been brought in. Continuous improvement to the back room staff for me. I'd taken a look at the scouts as well and released 3 out of the 4 who would all be replaced with better options.

I'd told Addison he could leave after the game last night, Pompy and Gillingham are rumoured to be interested but he is demanding too much. Coulibaly, Flahavan, Buchel, Partington and Zubar will also depart.

11/7/2014
Nothing much happened today, replaced a couple of scouts with a lot better options. Got them to scout a few premier league youngsters who I would look at loaning in for the season.

12/7/2014
More reports coming in for youngsters. New assistant manager, the previous one just wasn't ready for this level so I brought in a new option who would hopefully improve the squad more.

13/7/2014
More reports, they seem to be coming from everywhere, including the newest scout. That was 4 now, one would be used for team reports. The rest are just going to be sent out on assignments to find players of various types.

15/7/2014
Nothing new has happened over the last couple of days. Just settling down and sorting little bits out. Will start to look at possible transfers starting tomorrow. I have been given a invitation to a England Trial Day. I've just decided to send one of the scouts, hopefully a couple of gems will pop up from that for me to sign.

View attachment 866101

16/7/2014
I have received a few scout reports I had personally asked for this morning. The first was of Jamie Paterson of Nottingham Forest, he was at Walsall a couple of years ago and he is the best player I have ever seen at Walsall so thought I would scout him. He would be a brilliant addition but probably too expensive with a value of £2m.

Callum Reilly and Sam Ling were another two I had asked for reports for. They were both prospects. I will probably pass on Ling, he doesn't seem up to the Championship standard as of yet, but I will keep an eye on him. Reilly will be worth a look at, the 20 year old is valued at £575k though, probably going to be around £1-2m to sign him but may see if I can work something out.

The final one is of Tobias Mikkelsen. He is currently at Rosenborg and I have heard a few good things about him so asked for the report instantly. I will definitely be trying to sign the 27 year old winger!

Flahavan isn't attracting interest, I may have to look at releasing him. I have better keepers in my reserves so he isn't worth keeping, I told him this when he came to me to talk about his future. He said he understood, I'm not too sure he was happy about it though.

Addison is probably gone soon. I would keep him but he is on too much and teams aren't willing to pay a fee for him so I said to the board to just sell him for anything or release him. A few clubs are rumoured to be interested. Apparently the 3 who have made offers are Yeovil, Luton and Southend. None of them are bad clubs, Yeovil had their stint in the championship last year but I can see them struggling this year. If I was him I'd go to Southend, I did tell him this.

I noticed we had 3 affiliate clubs, no parent clubs though. I asked the board to look into it, they really weren't keen on it. My thinking was to get a "big club" to loan players from for free, the board thought I would be overly reliant on them despite my insistence that they would just be used as backup. Ah well, I'll figure something out.

One of my coaches, Peter Farrell, also came to me and said that he was worried about tactics being picked up by the players. I told him not to worry, he had been here for less time than me but in the week I had been here they were progressing well.
View attachment 866137

17/7/2014
Coulibaly is apparently off to Colchester, just sorting out final contract talks before it is confirmed. My U18's squad won their first game 5-1 against Yeovils counterpart. Sam Surridge scored 4! May have to look at promoting the 15 year old to the U21's.

18/7/2014
I've had an offer of £600k accepted for Mikkelsen. It could eventually rise to £700k if we get promoted. Oh plus the 25% of the next sale. It could be a bust but I reckon it is definitely more than worth it.

Goodship complained about me trying to release him. I am glad that players come to me with things. I told him the same as Flav's the other day. You just aren't good enough and it is for the best of your career, again he complained but it is better for both sides in the end.

Buchel is also failing to attract any attention. Releasing the players who I need is going to be the best option. What is the point of them being here if they aren't going to play. Their careers will stall and it is a waste of my funds. I would much rather do the right thing for my parties in matter.

Mikkelsen automatically came in with a request for the contract. Managed to get him down to £7.5k with a load of clauses and bonuses. I hope he is worth it! There are only 4 players on a higher wage at the club already. Hopefully it'll all be finalised before the friendly on Saturday.
View attachment 866145

Another friendly today against Poole Town. Same approach as the U21's game, everyone gets time on the pitch and everyone can get a bit of a fitness boost. 22 players will play. Before the game a French agent came to me and offered a 19 year old, Boukie I think his name was, centre back. He is an interesting prospect so I sent one of the scouts out to see if he is worth a shot.

I let McLoughlin, the assistant manager, pick the team today. Showing a bit of trust in him to be my second hand man. Not an important game so I'll see how he does, only a couple of changes from last time anyway.

Arter put me one up just 10 minutes in. Simple counter attack which he started and finished with a nice strike from outside the box. Charlie Daniels made it 2-0 4 minutes later, a well worked throw in routine which ended up with a nice volley from the edge of the area. Straight from the kick off it was then 3-0, winning possession almost instantly with a lovely quick passing move finished by Ritchie.

At half time I was happy and ready to make the 11 switches, whoever hadn't started would come on and there would be one spare player in case of injury.

A brief lapse in concentration saw them pull one back, 3-1, but I told them to buck their ideas up from the touchline. A brilliant cross from Smith in the 69th minute saw Kermorgant make it 4. That was how it would end. Loughy would get another chance to pick the team in pre-season at some point after a good selection today which saw us score 3 before half time.

After the game I was greeted to two bits of news. The first was young 'keeper Stanton would be out for a week or two, dived into a post in training and bruised his head. The other is Coulibaly is all set to go to Colchester, fees were apparently agreed during the match and all that was needed was my approval, I wish him all the best at the U's.

I was then checking my emails before bed. To be greeted to an email that Kobenhaven have matched my bid and possibly bettered it for Mikkelsen, meaning it would be up to him whether or not to come here or not. It made a sleepless night but hopefully he would make the right decision and move to the south coast of England.
View attachment 866692

I also received the report for the young French last night after I'd shut everything off, not worth it. Could be a good player but not worth the risk, especially at a probable asking of £1k a week. I've now been offered a 18 year old, Portugese, again I'll scout him. Addison is being awkward, won't accept any deals cause he wants too much money.

The groundsman came to me and asked for pitch sizes, I told him to pick, he just went for the standard lengths.

The Portugese lad isn't worth it. The only other thing is the offer of a German 32 year old, I'll scout him. Experienced backup may be useful. I got the scout report on the night for him and rang him up, he could be a good option as backup so I began contract discussions. It was obvious from the beginning though he saw himself as more than he was, he began talks asking for £15k a week, I automatically said sorry and we parted ways.

Awful news this morning as I saw in the news that Kobenhaven had completed the signing of Mikkelsen. This was a kick up the **** though, it made me realise I would have to put more effort into signing players before it was too late. I decided a left back was an instant need, the rest of the starting 11 would be extremely strong but the left back position had questions in terms of quality so a scout was sent out urgently.

After tomorrows friendly I am going to look at sorting some loans out for myself. I needed quality depth in youngsters who could add something to the squad. I had looked towards Man Utd's youth ranks but Van Gaal seems to think they all play a "large role" in first team commitments.

I would enquire about a few of Chelsea's youngsters and look towards Southampton for a few good players.
View attachment 866749

My third game in charge, again nothing big. Bala Town away. Hopefully I would pick up a third win to boost confidence and morale within the squad. McLoughlin would be picking the team again, only a couple of changes.

8 minutes in Rantie opened the game up, a wonderful passing move which seemed to be consistently working for me was finished off with a nice volley to make it 1-0. They somehow scored before half time to make it 1-1, stupid lazy defending gave their main man a big gap to aim the shot through. They had been causing several problems before that which led to Cook and Daniels picking up bookings.

11 changes at half time were made in order to force a win. Stanislas came out running as he created chance after chance on his way to creating the goal which saw me go 2-1 up thanks to a brilliant pass through to Smith who then whipped it in for Kermy to nod down into the netting. Then a minute later an identical move thanks to Stanislas saw close to an identical goal but this time Kermy took it down and slotted it past the keeper, 3-1. Kermy then had a header brilliantly saved after another Stanislas inspired move, Pugh eventually put it into the back of the net to make it 4. Stanislas, the creator of goals turned into a scorer with a beautiful one touch finish on the run to slot it past the keeper to make it 5-1.

Stanislas somehow didn't get MOTM but he was definitely the best player on the pitch today. McLoughlin made a bad choice for the starting XI which saw us go into the half level at 1 each.
View attachment 866801

Nothing important today. I'd received 10 or so reports on players I thought could be possible loanees but none of them seemed to wow the scouts enough to be worth bringing in so I crossed them all off. I was struggling with signings and was now waiting for the scouts to give me ideas rather than working off my own.

The only other idea I had, 15 year old Odegaard. The kid wonder who would hopefully be available for loan to the south coast.

The squad win bonuses were decided today, standard bonuses. The odds also came in for winning the league, I am at 100-1 to win the league whilst Norwich are favourites at 3-1. I'm predicted to finish in 17th place but I am expecting to finish in the top half preferably.

Looked at a few more potential signings, all too expensive or just not good enough. Odegaard is on a youth contract so no possibility of a loan deal for him.
View attachment 866935

I will be hoping to get more loaded up today at some point. It's enjoyable to do but it takes a while to get through the game because of writing it up.

Nothing had happened really today before the game. We told the players that this week would be their chance to book a place in the starting selection. Next week's friendly would start with my best 11 to get them ready for game 1 against Huddersfield.

The players were told the same in the team talks with McLoughlin telling them to play for their places, he picked the team again.

Wilson opened up the scoring 10 minutes into the game, he started the move and ended it with a simple finish into the Port Talbot net. He then got a second, another move which started with him winning the ball and finishing it off, a nice cross gave him a tap in.

At half time it was obvious Wilson would be a key player. He pushes out to the wing and drops into midfield to support wherever needed as well as being a big threat as the main striker. I pulled McLoughlin to one side and asked about testing Wilson out with Kermy for 15 minutes in the second half, he said yes and I told Callum. Tokelo, called Toky by team mates, had been ineffective for most of pre-season so I had to look to other options. 9 subs were made as I realised that I needed another CB for backup as well as a left back.

The Kermy-Wilson partnership was ineffective too, although I wasn't sure whether that was down to the subs being uninterested. Anyway, Wilson went off as well as Ward who was replaced by MacDonald, a short term defensive backup.

It finished 2-0 in the end, it should've been more but an uninterested second half team didn't push for it meaning they didn't show enough for me to pick a starting 11, although from previous games I had an idea. I had 25 shots which made it more disappointing to not have won by 4 or 5!

View attachment 867735

After yesterday I decided to propose a friendly with Bournemouth F.C. Nothing special I just didn't want the lads getting restless and wanted another chance to see them in action after disappointing effort levels yesterday.

I also looked at the reports from Monts and Howe. I was focusing on solidifying the back 4, especially left back so focused on that. There were a few prospects in the league who I could go for but probably too expensive so I decided to make a move for Notts County defender, 22 and Monts reckons he could slight straight into the 11 as well as being a great prospect.

I instantly sent through an offer to Notts for him. They wanted a lot, I ended up offering £1m now, £1m after promotion and 20% sell on fee.

I'd also heard about the kid Wallace from Pompy, I sent over a £500k offer.

I had a report sent through from Howe on the kid, Hoban, from Watford and was told to do everything I could. I sent a similar offer to what I sent to Notts only to be told to offer £13.5m or go away, so that was off. My bid for Adams was also rejected but Notts refused to put what they wanted on the table so I increased the offer by £200k.

Notts got back, they wanted £3m now. I offered £1m now, £2m after promotion to try to get him but I wasn't hopeful about it going through. At this rate I won't have any new faces in by Huddersfield first game.

I was also informed by McLoughlin of players in their final year. Nobody important. Would look at Harte and McQouid later in the season depending on how they do.

I changed the tactics for the BFC friendly, let McLoughlin pick the team again but I wanted to let the wingers have a proper game so went for 4-2-3-1 so Stanislas and co. got a run out. He chose to drop Wilson to the bench in favour of Rantie, second half appearance for Callum was awaiting though.

Stanislas set up the first for Ritchie with a wonderful header over the top of the defence so Ritchie could just slot it away for 1-0. Rantie then moved out wide in order to create a second finished by Surman with a nice little ground cross, 2 goals in 40 seconds! Stanislas then set up Rantie on a counter attack with a perfect cross to make it 3 within two minutes!

Ritchie then took a knock which forced me to bring him off for Fraser, Pugh was pushed into the middle. Just before the half time whistle a Surman free kick was brilliantly saved but the ball was then pinballed around the area before Ward poked it in to make it 4-0.

At the half subs were made as I changed back to 4-4-2, I was happy with the first half but wanted to try out the Kermy-Wilson partnership again.

They got a dismissal 15 minutes before the end, a bad decision by the referee for a fair challenge which would've seen them hit me on the break as they built the pressure up against an uninterested back 4. McDonald made it 5 after poor defending from a corner saw him open to tap the ball past the opposition keeper.

After the game I looked into setting up an affiliation with Bournemouth, although it seemed silly to ponder it with affiliates in place, suppose I was just looking into helping out the smaller version of us. I also received an email saying we had received £500k and were due to receive a further £775k for a Danny Ings transfer to Southampton from premier new boys Burnley.

View attachment 867975

I woke up to a call from County boss Shaun Derry saying he wanted £4.7m now as well as £2m later for Adams, I told him to shove it. It was too much for a prospect even if the funds were in place for it.

I was also approached by Clarky, the physio, as I walked into the training ground this morning and I was dreading what he was going to say. Was Ritchie going to be out long term? Luckily no, he told me that Matt was down at the hospital having tests done all night to be told he just needed to rest the knock for a couple of days by doctors, although Clarky told me to just push him into training, I went with his idea.

Monts then told me about a defender I should sign, Jordan Clarke of Scunthorpe. Apparently he could provide backup for the middle and right side of defence as a prospect. I sent a bid through, £1m plus £500k after promotion. They wanted to mull it over.

He also recommended JET. He reckoned I could get him for under £1m but Bristol wanted £4.1m straight away which I found weird for the backup option.

Howe also seemed enthusiastic about a 19 year old free agent for the future. He said short term he is a reserve player but long term he could be a brilliant player, or a bust. I decided to take the risk and offer him a 2 year, £350 p/w deal which he accepted. If he plays 10 games he will go up to £1400 p/w but I don't see it happening.

I had sent Rooney out weeks ago to find a first team left back with premiership potential but after him searching passionately and finding nothing I told him to just do what he could to fix my problem at left back.

I then personally asked for the scouts to go over to Dortmund to scout a few prospects from over there. Either on loan or on a transfer there may be a few good options in the German youth system.

I also offered £400 p/w to a prospect free agent who could play on the wing. I was told weeks ago by Monts and Stores to check him out but never really thought of needing wingers but I will bid in for him. He accepted the offer instantly!

Scunny then replied to the offer for Clarke, they wanted more but would accept the extra in clauses and extras it seemed. I offered £1.3m plus clauses which could eventually see it rise to £2.6m Clarke then accepted the offer of £6k a week no thanks to his agent who I was having to cough £250k to! Hopefully he would develop well and be good enough to start for a bit but I hope he is worth it otherwise things could start to get nasty fast with the board for wasting £1.3m.

After an extremely busy day earlier in the week I had a few days of just sorting out training before I heard the news that Alvin, the young winger would be my first signing as a manager. Elphick took him round and introduced him to everybody as the kid was looking nervous, hopefully he would settle well.

I also confirmed that Elphick would be my captain, he was happy with it and I asked who he thinks should be vice-captain. He said Simon Francis so I told him it was his decision and went with it, showing the trust in him to pick like that would hopefully pay off.

I had a press conference to talk about Alvin arriving, he had settled in well so far. The deal then was confirmed for the young left back, Hoganson who had been training with us this morning apparently and settling in quickly, the rest of the team had apparently been calling him "Hogey" all morning which he seemed a bit confused by. I asked Elphick to introduce him still and just like he did for Alvin he was shown around.

I decided to go 4-2-3-1 for the final friendly and this is what I was leaning towards for the first game. The only question was left back which I decided Daniels looked a better option than Harte who was coming towards the end of his career at 36. I'd also had a young CB recommended from the youth system, Cargill I think was his name. I put him on the bench to test him as cover for the first team.

1-0: Callum Wilson played through by Ritchie on the counter slots it home (18 minutes)
2-0: Ritchie disposses a defender for the ball to fall to Wilson who slides it past the keeper (19 minutes)
HT
3-0: Pugh taps in a defensive error from a free kick (75 minutes)
4-0: Pitman crosses it in to Kermy to put away after a 5 minute pressuring of their area (87 minutes)

I couldn't make the game due to other commitments but McLoughlin followed my plan and sent me the notes describing the goals. Apparently the young Cargill was our best defender on the day despite fitness issues after playing a reserve game last night. He also tested the third choice tactic of 4-1-2-3 and said we should use it for countering opponents which confirmed what I had in mind anyway.

I was still stuck between choosing 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 against Huddersfield but in other news I had a perfect pre-season! I won it overall 24-2. If I did play a one striker system Wilson would be alone after scoring 6 goals in pre-season, a hard choice with Kermy getting 5 and Rantie bagging a few himself.

Stanislas gets my player of pre-season after brilliant performances in every game creating chance after chance. He also bagged himself a goal against Bala which is important as I want my midfielders and wingers to score as well as my strikers this season.

View attachment 868069

The Clarke deal went through this morning. I might have overpaid but he is a good player according to Monts and I trust his judgement. English talent is expensive anyway nowadays and I am going to look at improving the facilities in hope of producing talent rather than buying it later in the season.

After judging him myself he seems a good buy. He will probably be backup for a bit before coming in a starting at CB when fitness declines in busy schedules and hopefully he will develop into a top division player. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Stores also sent me the report on Huddersfield and recommended I play 4-2-3-1 with Wilson up front. I was leaning towards 4-4-2 but he reckons if we can control the middle of the park by outnumbering them then we can easily breakthrough to force chances and hopefully score goals.

I then had a press conference about the signings of Hogey and Clarke. Mainly seemed to be about the price tag on Clarke. If he doesn't meet the fee in his performances then it is going to reflect badly on him and me but I reckon he will do well. I did say it was a risk!

Bad news coming up to the opener. Pugh has got the flu and will be out for a week, I was hoping to have a full squad to choose from but that mixes it up a bit looking at the wingers I will play.

I then listed a few kids for loan just to build up experience. Afterwards I noticed similarities between Cargill and Ward in their training today so I proposed Ward tutoring Barry and they agreed to it. Hopefully they would do well together.

We travelled up to Huddersfield today and it was a good coach trip. Everybody seemed happy and ready for tomorrow and we had gone up early so we could get a quick training session in tonight before watching the first game of the season, Cardiff Blackburn, eventually it finished 1-1.

I went to bed and knew I was in for a sleepless night before tomorrows game. All I could think about was if I had done enough in the transfer market, the reports were making me doubt my decisions on signing Clarke, he is a great player but is he £1.3m great?! I was also mulling over tactics, I think I had finally decided to go for the 4-2-3-1 system Stores had recommended to me and I had got the team sheet planned out in my head including the subs.

I was going to save the youngsters for the mid week league cup game against Gillingham, ease them in and hopefully give them an easy win to open up. I was playing my strongest side tomorrow to win my first game.
View attachment 868102

I was right about having a sleepless night. I just hoped I had done enough for todays game. I woke up to find the squad sat downstairs in the hotel talking about the game. As I walked towards them they all stood up to tell me that they were ready to give me a winning start to the season and my career.

I think that the coaches had explained my back story to them last night because they seemed really keen on winning for me and they made this clear. I was happy to be backed by the players, coaches and even the board and owners who stayed in the same hotel and told me they were ready for success. I wish they hadn't said that cause I perceived it as a demand, I've always been an overthinker though.

I got back in touch with Rooney to tell him to just find me some backup players. The search for a left back wasn't working and I needed to bring in players before the transfer windows slams shut. I've asked him to look for ones I can bring in on loan.

I'd decided to go with 4-2-3-1, the only real problem is having no wingers available on the bench due to Pugh being ill. Boruc was the obvious choice in goal. A back 4 of Daniels, Elphick, Cook and Francis was the strongest option but it still seems a bit of a problem at left back, lets see how he performs. Gosling and Arter would play in the central roles, they seemed the best options for today. A front four of Fraser, Ritchie, Stanislas and Wilson seemed strong. Especially if they could all continue their form into the season from pre-season.

In the dressing room before the game there was a good atmosphere which I was happy to see. Whatever the coaches had said to the players this morning worked so I let them take the team talk.

It was a touch and go first 15 minutes which saw Arter booked early on, he then started a move which showed some wonderful passing ending with a couple of 1-2's between Stanislas and Wilson before Wilson curled a shot around the keeper! 1-0! This is what it was like to be a manager and I was loving it.

Stanislas then turned into the scorer. The move started with a throwing from Francis to Arter who quickly knocked it back to Francis. He whipped the ball to the near post where Stanislas was there to smash it past Nash to make it 2-0.

They then got a straight red card. Their left back, Jack Robinson, just couldn't deal with Stanislas and just went straight through the back of him. An awful challenge which saw him walking before the referee had blown the whistle. Hopefully we could take advantage of this and continue to push.

And we did, 3-0! Another passing move which saw Ritchie played into just enough space to pass it into the top corner, a nice finish. These passing moves were wonderful, they were moving the ball quickly along the ground.

That was a stupid decision! The referee sent Arter off with a second yellow for a fair challenge! Arter had been cutting off Wells all afternoon and Wells lost the ball again and decided to dive to the floor like he had been shot! It was close to half time so I would wait to make changes.

Nothing much happened before half time. Wells found more space without the second holding midfielder, I would take Fraser off at half time and bringing on Surman and push Ritchie out to the left. I would also just ask them to control the game and guard against complacency. I didn't want to drop a 3-0 lead in my first game. Surman seemed happy to come on and ready to prove a point after being placed on the bench, hopefully he would put the fire into the game and be as effective as Arter was in closing down Wells.

That was close for both teams. Wells had done brilliantly and was becoming a pest to the back 4 but Boruc saved the low shot brilliantly for the ball to fall to Ritchie who took it to the other end and forced a fantastic save. They were getting too much in front of goal so asked them to control the ball and keep it.

For every chance they had, we had one on the counter now. They had a free kick which saw Lolley hit the post only for Daniels to hoof the ball forwards to Wilson who took it to the other end and have his shot blocked as he got it off. The corner then saw Stanislas poorly deliver it at first but it came back out to him and his second cross bounced on the line before being gathered by Nash, I'm sure it went in but the score was kept at 3-0.

Gosling was looking very tired at the hour so I brought on O'Kane, more of a defensive option so hopefully he could help reassure the lead. Cook was also struggling to cope with Wells at the back so I brought him off and on came Ward.

A big knock with 10 minutes left. Wells had gotten dirty again and went straight through Daniels who had to be taken off because of injury, Wells is a good player but he has been a dirty player today. It was risky but I put Francis into left back, O'kane into centre back and then Wardy into right back. I also told them to just defend now. With only 3 midfielders it was going to be hard to control the midfield area.

The changes worked and it finished 3-0, they didn't even have a chance in the last 10 minutes! It was a great win but it was almost overshadowed by the injury to Daniels who was brilliant and Arters questionable red card. I told the team they were brilliant and thanked them for a winning debut.

I looked at other scores on the way back as the lads were messing about to see that Ipswich had played out a 5-4 win against Fulham! Derby also scored 5 against Rotherham, I think they will struggle this year. Blackpool did well to hold onto a 0-0 draw away to Forest, with everything going on there I can see them struggling.

Stanislas got man of the match. In the first half he was brilliant with a goal and the assist but after the red and especially after the injury he was brilliant in supporting the back 4. He could be a brilliant player for us this year.

We had Gillingham in the cup in a couple of days so I told the lads they would be back into training tomorrow for a brief session and then I would put them through training Monday and Tuesday. I would probably play a rotated squad but it is still an important game.

I went to sleep knowing the win saw us into 3rd place, a great start but still I was worrying about transfers. This squad was strong but I felt I was missing something I just didn't know what. I'd reassured cover for the back, had a strong keeper and plenty of cover in midfield and upfront. Maybe another winger, I don't know I'll see what the scouts say.

View attachment 868940

I woke up this morning to a message from Clarky telling me Daniels was fine to carry on and the injury was nothing big. I then changed my mind about yesterday and decided to give the lads a day off to recover so rang them all up and told them they had a rest day but they were expected to be fit and ready for training tomorrow morning before another session Tuesday morning before travelling to Gillingham.

I asked Monts to get a report on young Liverpool winger Ibe, he had been rated highly and Liverpool had him loan listed. He said he would get straight on top of it.

I also was told we sold 7000 season tickets! Not bad considering the ground only holds 12000.

The televised game which was the best game of the weekend apparently ended 0-0 between Wolves and favourites Norwich. Bet they regret not showing the 5-4 affair between Ipswich and Fulham.

Stores came to me with the report on the Gills and recommended I play 4-4-2. I think I would look at it before the game cause 4-2-3-1 worked brilliantly against Huddersfield. Ibe's report also came through and I instantly sent through an offer. I couldn't afford 100% of his wages and they wanted £175k a month which I accepted, he could win the league for us! The board were willing to do that but not pay the extra grand to fulfil his wages, odd decision by them.

I had decided the team for my first home game tomorrow but wasn't going to tell the squad yet. It would be rotated, Jordan Clarke would come in for a first start and I would switch to 4-1-2-3 system. I would switch the wingers and striker to rest them though.

Francis was also in the league team of the week. I personally would've put Stanislas and Wilson in as well, and Daniels if he didn't get injured. Stanislas and Boruc would remain the only two who played in Saturdays win. Alvin, the young winger, is being promoted to the bench, we need backup at winger but I don't think he is ready to play as a starter so he will come on for Stanislas.

View attachment 868973

Game 2, at home to Gillingham in the league cup. I'd announced the team and they all seemed happy. A few youngsters getting a chance and the starters from Saturday were happy to get a rest by the look of it, think they are still building fitness. Hopefully today would be the first of many great performances for Jordan Clarke, I can only hope...

It was an unfortunate start to the game for them, 15 seconds in and they got an injury, the lad just rolled on his ankle and seemed in a lot of pain. No chances in the first half for either side. They did well to force us to long range efforts and nothing else whilst they didn't seem to have enough about them to break through and score.

After an hour I made the subs after still no chances. Surman, Stanislas and Kermy off for Gosling, Alvin and Wilson. Hopefull they would help a breakthrough and force the win as I changed to an attacking system. Maybe I should've listened to Stores and gone 4-4-2 but it was too late now, I'm sure he'd take a dig when I saw him next week.

Just as I turned around to call the subs up they scored! I missed it but they scored! It was apparently awful defending my Ward and Harte, the two experienced heads in defence.

Thank you Wilson, 5 minutes later he was set up by newbies Clarke and Alvin Fortes and somehow managed to back heel the ball into the net. Hopefully we could build and get a second as I didn't want to have to play more than 90 minutes for this game but I needed to win.

It was going to extra time. I didn't want this and we didn't need it with Brentford visiting Saturday. I was questioning my decision to fully rotate now, the game could've been over before half time if I had played a full strength side. It was too late to change my mind though now. I switched to 4-4-2. Pitman was getting too tired to run up and down the wing so I shifted him up top with Wilson whilst Fortes and Gosling were played on either wing with MacDonald and O'Kane in the middle.

Just before the end of the first 15 minutes Fortes crossed the ball in brilliantly after a great pass to him from Clarke with the cross falling perfectly for Wilson to volley it across the goal into the top corner. 2-1. A minute later he got his hat trick by forcing a brilliant run and smashing it past everybody from 30 yards out into the top corner to make it 3-1 and save me from embarrassment in my first home game.

Eventually it was a good solid win. The problem is that it wasn't over in 90 minutes because there would be a lot of tired legs for Saturdays game against new boys Brentford. They would hopefully still be settling into the championship. They lost to Charlton, 1-0, on the first day but beat league 2 Newport 2-0 tonight.

After the game we sat down and listened to the draw in the changing rooms. We were out of the hat early being drawn away to Preston. I would've preferred another home draw, mid week travelling isn't ideal.

View attachment 868979

A slow day, apparently a few players are upset with the level of attention they are getting in training but McLoughlin is sorting training so I left it to him to sort.

Ibe came back to us and rejected the deal so I asked my scouts to go to Villa, Everton and Palace to try and find a winger to bring in on loan. I had £8000 p/w spare in my wage budget and no money to buy a player so it was all loans now, I wish I had a parent club!

Reports came back. Tonev from Villa would've been nice but he is already out at Celtic, same with Robinson at Preston. Thomas from Palace would've been nice but he is on too much for the club to pay.

Stores told me to play 4-4-2 Saturday and focus on attacking in training, apparently they were very strong on Tuesday in the league cup so we needed to work on breaking them down.

More reports came in this afternoon. McAleny would've been perfect; young, strong starter and would develop. Only problem is he is already with Cardiff on loan. Leon Osman was available for loan, at £40k a week!

I sent Rooney out to find prospects from league 2, hopefully he would get his first report through as he had been useless so far. I also changed Monts assignment. He is now out looking for a winger to bring in on loan, hopefully he would find something soon as I was getting desperate.

Watford visited Norwich tonight, only to get destroyed 4-0! Norwich look strong, so did Watford before the season but they have only managed a draw and a loss so far in the league. They also lost 2-0 to Crawley in the league cup! Jokanovic is coming under pressure already, a very strong squad is underperforming there.

I had started finding myself spending my nights playing football manager to find some prospects to bring in, nothing had been found so far though and I was searching hard.

View attachment 868989