The Netherlands Chances...

Juneau59

Reaction score
Hey, I just found this interesting article on Zonal Marking:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/02/holland-world-cup-2010-tactics/

It talks about the Netherlands current team going into the world cup and focuses mainly on their attacking threat. It also talks about how the Netherlands always seem to fall apart in big competitions, I had never realised there was another county with "more years of hurt" than England.

What are your opinions on the Netherlands chances in this world cup? They seem to be rated very highly. Will they fall apart? Will they win their first ever world cup? Is there defence good enough to stand up to the larger teams in the competition?

Personally I think they could go far but I just can't see them beating the likes of Spain, Brazil etc...
Would love to see an England versus Netherlands game at this world cup though :)

ye they have a good squad but not winning material quarters maybe

i think holland will score loads of goals but also concede loads. i belive they could be a intresting team to watch.

holland did very well at euro08 so i think they can do well, they also have a lot of good youngsters as well. I doubt they can win but they should make the semis

They have a great team and players of the highest calibre like Wesley Sneijder and Robin Van Persie.I think they can go far!

love the zonalmarking website. mmm quater finals for me, but they will be so entertaining to watch

Zonal Marking is a very good site, I agree with the fact they will only reach the quarters but I want a little surprise, a nice twist so I want them to do better

I think that euro08 proved that the Dutch have an awesome attacking threat, and will tear some teams apart quite easily, but it also proved that they can capitulate on the highest stage, as they were halted by Russia in that tournament even after looking so comfortable before that game. So in my opinion the Dutch will get to the quarter-finals at most, expect some entertaining football from them, but not a world cup winning campaign.

love the zonalmarking website
Yea its absolutely fantastic. Gives a really great analysis for most teams going into the world cup including England.
Well worth checking it out for anyone interested in learning more about the different styles of football out there and how successful they are. It also includes things like passing stats in important games, such as Barcelona versus Arsenal in the champions league etc.

i think holland will score loads of goals but also concede loads. i belive they could be a intresting team to watch.
I agree they seem a little top heavy but they should be one of the most exciting teams to watch. Probably the team I am going to be supporting after England tbh. Would really like to see them do well.

One of my main concerns for the Netherlands is their squad depth. I don't know a huge amount about their squad but seeing as players like van Persie are very injury prone, do they have good enough players to come in and fill the gap from their bench?