The New Generation | A U.S. 'Soccer' Sim

tbuc

Reaction score
We are The U.S., the mighty mighty U.S.
View attachment 26841

After the embarrassment of failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup it's now time for a hard restart in the United States. I tried this in FM18 in hopes the U.S. could still play in Russia and had success, however, it wasn't long after I was sacked. This time around the goal is to remain the manager from 2018 all the way through qualifying, the Gold Cup, and the Nationals League. There are plenty of promising young talent, must of which have ties to other nations, so getting some of those players to commit to the U.S. will be key. Let get on and see what happens!

Top Players

View attachment 26839
Michael Bradley - His 140 caps is one shy of third most in USMNT history. The New Jersey native also has 46 caps as U.S. captain which is second in his nations history. At 30-years old, the Toronto FC man's best years are behind him, but until he proves he doesn't have it anymore, he will remain the focal point in the midfield and the leader on the pitch. Bradley's role with the team is very much a question mark as we look to bring in some younger talent as we'll have over a year to prep for the next meaningful match. Can anyone prove themselves worthy of taking his place until then?

View attachment 26838
Christian Pulisic - The 19-year old already has 21 caps and 9 goals to his name in a U.S. shirt. Breaking into the first team with Borussia Dortmund, the winger could threaten Bradley as our nations top player very soon and could become the best American footballer of all time. With his excellent acceleration, first touch, and dribbling ability, the teenager could slot in as the number 10 role as well. Let's hope the wonderkid can continue his success in Germany and grow with the national team as well.

View attachment 26837
John Brooks - Born in Berlin, Brooks ultimately choose to represent the U.S. and received his first cap at 20-years old. Brooks earned himself a call-up to the U.S. 2014 World Cup roster. After a Matt Besler injury, Brooks came on as a sub in the group stage opener of that tournament and scored a 86' winner for his nation. The big defender not only has great physical stats, but has excellent composer, and solid with the ball at his feet. He will be a major piece for the U.S. at the back.

Top Youngster (Under 20)

View attachment 26836

Weston McKennie - Age 19 - Midfielder

The Schalke midfielder looks to be the front runner to take over for Michael Bradley in the middle of the pitch. He left the U.S for Germany at 18 and made his Bundesliga debut that season. The follow season he broke into the first team and he hasn't looked back. He only has 4 caps for the U.S., but the ball winning midfielder will slot into the starting 11 once we get going. He has great physical stats, tackling ability, teamwork, and work rate as well. By the time 2022 rolls around he very well could be the most important player on the pitch.

View attachment 26835

Cameron Carter-Vickers - Age 20 - Center Back
The Southend native choose to represent his father's home nation over his native England earning his first cap for the U.S. in November 2017. After joining the Spurs academy at 10-years old, Carter-Vickers will spend his second consecutive season on loan in the Championship. If he can get consistent minutes in the English second division, he should continue to get the call for the U.S.

View attachment 26834

Tyler Adams - Age 18 - Right Back/Midfielder
The only player in this group playing in the U.S., Adams is an important player for the NY Red Bulls at just 18-years old. A native of New York, the defensive minded player has worked his way up from the Red Bulls youth ranks all the way up to the first team. His
versatility allows him to play at right back and in the middle of the pitch. Set to join RB Leipzig in January in real life, Adams contract is set to expire in 12 months in the game and could force a move to Europe virtually as well.

January 2018 Update

View attachment 26368

The U.S. lose one of it's top youngsters as Fulham winger, Luca de la Torre, chooses to represent his father's home nation, Spain. The California native left the United States for London in 2013 where he's been moving up from the youth ranks all the way to the first team where he's made five appearances with the first team in the Championship. Now he'll compete with Isco and Marco Asensio amongst others for a spot on the Spanish National Team.

February 2018 Update

View attachment 26329

The injury bug bites Aron Johannsson yet again, this time through a hip problem set to sideline the striker for four months. The Alabama born number nine has dealt with numerous lower body injuries thought out his career which has deflated his international career. Born in the U.S. to Icelandic parents, Johannsson spent most of his life in his parent home county. Coming through the youth ranks of Fjolnir, based in the capital of Iceland, it didn't take long for scouts to spot the forward as he made the switch to play in continental Europe in 2010. After two and a half seasons in Denmark, Johannsson moved to AZ Alkmaar where he scored 38 goals in 84 appearances before moving to Bremen in the Bundesliga. He only managed six league appearances in his first season because of a hip injury, but did bag two goals. After 11 months out, Johannsson made nine appearance his second season and twelve last term.

His international career has been sporadic because of his long injury history. He debuted in 2013 scoring his first U.S. goal against Panama in a World Cup Qualifier. He was also apart of the 2014 World Cup and 2015 Gold Cup rosters before injury problems hurt his international career. He missed the latter part of 2015 and most of 2016 before making the bench in the November 2016 friendlies. With the lack of ability to stay healthy he has not had a look in with the national team since then, but with a new manager that could change. There is no doubt he is a top striker for his nation, but if he's not playing at the club level it's hard to see him get called in again.

Really loving this ! :) Huge mls fan so I know a lot about these players. check out Auston Trusty (Philly) Mark Mckenzie also Philly. Both look like future ! US players.
Possibly Reggie Cannon.

March 2018 Friendly

View attachment 26288

DISCLAIMER: When I started this sim I wasn't paying close enough attention to the start date which is why I choose January 2018. Even though I'm starting in Jan. 2018 the game already lists France as the 2018 World Cup winner and the stats from the the domestic leagues which run from Aug.-May are already completed and the winners and stats are up to date even though the sim hasn't reached that point. The leagues that do start in Feb/March and run through one calendar year (i.e. MLS, Liga MX, and Scandinavian leagues) do begin their 2018 seasons shortly, however. The reason why I'm mentioning this is because this friendly was already scheduled in the sim before I started and I cannot schedule another friendly until November. Just an FYI. I'm not giving the boys seven months off! I promise.

I'm still not sure on which 23 players I want to call in for this friendly. I'd love to get off to a winning start knowing I'm not going to get another crack at it until November. However, with only meaningless football scheduled for more than 12 months, I think it's more important to get some of the fringe players a real look in. As far as which formation I'll run? Right now I'm thinking 4-3-3. Really that formation picks itself once you look at the player pool. We don't have the depth at the back to run with three center backs and lack any talent in the number 10 role. We do have plenty of talent on the wings including Christian Pulisic, so running anything without three upfront just doesn't make sense.

Really loving this ! :) Huge mls fan so I know a lot about these players. check out Auston Trusty (Philly) Mark Mckenzie also Philly. Both look like future ! US players.
Possibly Reggie Cannon.

Thank you for your interest and player suggestions! I am a massive USMNT fan and created a pretty long list of youngster I'd love to give a chance with the national team. The first being Efrain Alverez before he chooses to represent Mexico. He will be monitored very closely. Once he breaks into the first team with the LA Galaxy I'll probably give him a call. Trusty looks to be the better prospect between the two Philly CB's (IMO). However, whichever one can break into the Union's first team and get consistent minutes will be the favorite to get his first cap. I'll be interest to see if either, if not both, are selected to the U20 team which plays a friendly in March as well.

March 2018 Roster Announcement

View attachment 26287

View attachment 26286

March 13, 2018

Christian Pulisic and Josh Sargent headline the U.S. roster for their friendly against 28th ranked Romania. The roster lists 14 players under the age of 23 including the 19-year old Dortmund winger Pulisic and Bremen striker Sargent who just celebrated his 18th birthday three weeks ago.

The roster doesn't hold any real surprises. Defenders Tim Parker and Reggie Cannon are the only two players still looking for their first cap with the senior national team. Cannon has been a top prospect for many years and has only made one appearance with FC Dallas's senior team, however, he will get his chance this season as he's on the senior team roster. Two other players with minimal or zero senior team experience at club level are Timothy Weah and Josh Sargent. Weah left the NY Red Bulls academy at 14 for French giants PSG in 2014. Since joining the Paris-based side Weah has made three appearance all coming last Ligue 1 season. Sargent, on the other hand, is yet to made a senior team appearance (He joined Bremen in July 2018 in real life (the future in the game) so he hasn't had a chance yet).

March 2018 Friendly Result

View attachment 26184

One match one win for tbuc as the USMNT manager. The friendly was pretty balanced throughout, we were just more clinical in front of goal. As the stats show, the home side dominated possession, but didn't do much with it. Romania were very wasteful in the first half, as they had the best two chances to start the match, but were unable to capitalize. The first came from a corner kick to the far post which was headed wide. Their second opportunity came off a poor clearance from DeAndre Yedlin, who headed the ball right to Alexandru Maxim on the right wing. The Mainz attacker cut inside and had a hit from 18 yards out, but it sailed wide. The away side was able to break the deadlock right before the halftime whistle via a blinder from Hibs midfielder, Emerson Hyndman. It started with a long run from Christian Pulisic, who's eventual shot was blocked by a center back and the rebound kicked out perfectly for Hyndman to had a hit from about 20 yards out which found the top right corner. The second half didn't offer much for the natural. Yedlin did make a goal line clearance and the bar bailed out Steffen as well, but that was it from Romania. For the U.S., they were able to find the back of the net one more time in the second 45. It was the 18-year old Sargent capping off his fourth international appearance with his second goal. All the credit must go to Pulisic, however. The left back, Robinson, playing a lovely little looping ball over the defense, which the Dortmund winger brought down with his chest, played the ball into the box with his left, and Sargent tapped it in from just a few yards out. Great way to start my tenure!!

March 2018 Update

View attachment 26183

March brought us our first U.S. match since tbuc took over as manager, and he started his career with a win and clean sheet away to Romania. As we saw 14 players under the age of 23 named to the roster, it was 21-year old Emerson Hyndman who opened up his U.S. goal scoring account with a first half brace from roughly 20 yards out. The Dallas, Texas native left for Europe at the age of 15 to join Fulham in 2011 where he stayed until his contract ran out in 2016. During his time with the London based club he logged 25 appearance in the Championship. Bournemouth snapped up the midfielder on a free in June 2016, however, Hyndman is yet to break into the first team. He made two league cup and one FA Cup appearances before leaving for Rangers on loan in January. The following season he stayed at his parent club only to made one appearance in the league. This proves to be an important year for the youngster. Bournemouth has elected to sent Hyndman out on loan to Scotland again this season, this time to Hibs.

Another youngster making the news is Reggie Cannon. His substitute appearance against Romania was his first cap in a U.S. shirt. The 19-year old send one year in college at UCLA before signing a home grown contact with FC Dallas in December 2016. Last year Cannon made two league cup starts and one cameo appearance off the bench in the MLS. He's starting 2018 on FC Dallas's senior team roster and he should get his chance at some point this season.

April 2018 Update

View attachment 26180

There must have been something in the air this month as we saw a handful of American's announce their national team allegiance elsewhere. Two next gene players currently playing in the U.S. lower leagues declared their desires to represent Italy and two goalkeepers, both apart of the U20 team who played in March, choose to represent Brazil. One of those is 16-year old Nicolas 'Nico' Hansen. The Florida-born shot stopper, currently playing in the Everton youth ranks, is the biggest hit. At just 16 years of age, he was the starter in the U20 match against Chile and one of our top prospect at his position. A position were we don't have a lot of top quality prospects. I will not be giving up on him as we will remain in constant contact (I will be clicking the "Ask to Represent Nation" tab fairly frequently going forward). It will be interesting to see where his future really lies.

Also Keaton Parks from Benfica ! but Weston Mckenzie is a true baller ! great generation coming through. Yes Alvarez would be awesome to get. I know in real life the two philly cbs seen a lot of action. I had the pleasure to watch them live. great players.

George Bello ATL LB -
Jaylyn Lindsay -Sporting KC
Gianluca Busio - Sporting KC
Jonathan Amon looks like he could devolop nicely. plays for Nordsjaellnad
Juan Pablo Torres plays for Lokren in Belgium
jordan siebatcheu great striker plays for club rennes could replace Altidore-Woods
Antonee Robinson from Wigan looks a great player as well.

excited to see how they develop in your save and if they make it.

Also Keaton Parks from Benfica ! but Weston Mckenzie is a true baller ! great generation coming through. Yes Alvarez would be awesome to get. I know in real life the two philly cbs seen a lot of action. I had the pleasure to watch them live. great players.

George Bello ATL LB -
Jaylyn Lindsay -Sporting KC
Gianluca Busio - Sporting KC
Jonathan Amon looks like he could devolop nicely. plays for Nordsjaellnad
Juan Pablo Torres plays for Lokren in Belgium
jordan siebatcheu great striker plays for club rennes could replace Altidore-Woods
Antonee Robinson from Wigan looks a great player as well.

excited to see how they develop in your save and if they make it.

I saw Trusty live this year too! I don't follow the MLS, but live in the suburbs of DC, so I had to check out the new Audi Field this season. It was a lot of fun. I've always been a big fan of Paul Arriola who plays for DC United.... Thanks again for the names. Bello, Lindsay, Busio, and Torres actually all started for U20 game last month. I'm excited to give Amon a chance. He was injured for the friendly in March. I totally forgot about Siebatheu. I just looked him up and he's not in this save. I didn't choose France as a played about league, so I'm thinking that's why.

May 2018 Update

View attachment 26150

Our first friendly for the month of September has been schedule. In three months the U.S. will welcome Mohamed Salah and Egypt to Columbus, Ohio for tbuc's first match in charge on home soil. The Pharaohs are currently ranked 64th in the world by FIFA.

June 2018 Update

View attachment 26148

June proved to be a slow month as far as U.S. national team news. Across the pond we did see the transfer window open and some big moves were made early. To name a few, we saw Paulo Dybala head to Man City, Chelsea's surprise sale of N'Golo Kante to rivals Man United, and Lorenzo Insigne joining Dybala in the blue half of Manchester as well. Some news that probably didn't even made the back pages is USMNT top prospect Gianluca Busio agreeing to join Liverpool in June 2020 when he turns 18. The central midfielder made his MLS debut this season at the ripe age of 15-years old becoming to second youngster player ever to play in the MLS behind fellow American, Freddy Adu. Busio has represented the U.S. at the U15-U17 levels and started in the latest U.S. U20 match. Although he was born in North Carolina, Busio's father is from Italy and is eligible to play for Gli Azzurri if he so chooses.

July 2018 Update

View attachment 26147

Two more friendlies have been announced and we have some good ones. Not sure why my assistant thought it would be a good idea to schedule a game in America and then a week later another in Europe, but it's hard to turn down a chance to play a match in Wembley. In October we'll welcome both Argentina and their neighbor's, Bolivia, to the United States. The match against Argentina will take place at Toyota Park, the home of MLS side, Chicago Fire. Six days later the match against Bolivia will take place at EverBank Field, the home of NFL team, Jacksonville Jaguars.

DeAndre Yedlin will remain a question mark until the roster is announced for the September matches as he is currently recovering from a torn thigh muscle. The injury will keep him out for another 4-6 weeks.

September 2018 Roster Announcement

View attachment 26144

View attachment 26143

The roster for the September friendlies has been decided on by tbuc and we see the former Aston Villa veteran shot stopper Brad Guzan back in the picture. At 33-years old it's hard to imagine he'll made the 2022 World Cup roster. However, with both Zack Steffen and Bill Hamid struggling with injuries and a tough English side around the corner it makes sense. Also back in the picture between the sticks is Toronto FC keeper, Alex Bono. The 24-year old does have one cap for the U.S. which came in early 2018.

A man left off which could draw some attention is DeAndre Yedlin. He injured himself in a preseason friendly with Newcastle and has just returned to light training. The U.S. are light at the right back position, so in steps another veteran, Hull City's Eric Lichaj. Lichaj brings plenty of experience with his 15 caps. To add to that, the full back played two seasons in the Premier League with Aston Villa followed by five years in the Championship with Nottingham Forest before making the move to Hull this year. Reggie Cannon is back and adds 15 appearance in the MLS this season since his appearance with the US in March.

The center backs remain the same and the midfield sees one chance. Out goes Cristian Roldan, who is have a very good season thus far, and in steps DC United center mid, Russell Canouse. The 23-year old is looking to reestablish his career after spending the last five and a half years in Germany. Canouse left the NY Red Bulls academy at 16 to play for Hoffenheim's U17 team. After slowly working his way up the youth ranks, the Pennsylvania native made one appearance in the Bundesliga before being loaned out to the second division in German last year. After 20 appearance there, Hoffenheim elected to sell him to DC United were he's been a starter ever since.

In the attacking third of the pitch we see all the same names plus one. Canouse's club teammate Paul Arriola makes the team as a winger. In March we saw Timothy Weah on the right wing, but this time around he's listed as a striker. After making three appearance in Ligue 1 last year, Weah has been with the PSG Reserves so far this year.

August 2018 Update

View attachment 26142

The U.S. are preparing for two more friendlies which are just a few days away. This will be the first real test for tbuc as his side are set to face two teams who took part in the 2018 World Cup. England will have a strong squad at their disposal as they will battle Croatia in a Nations League tie just a few days before. Pictured above we see Christian Pulisic and Kellyn Acosta (hopefully carrying Chris Wondolowski's body to barry somewhere far away), who are just two of the young American looking to make an impact for the U.S. going forward.

September 2018 Roster Update

View attachment 26141

View attachment 26140

The U.S. national team were dealt a major blow as they learned Dortmund winger, Christian Pulisic will be out for a month with a torn calf muscle. At just 19, Pulisic is the most talented player on the U.S. team and was going to be key for the next two matches. Instead the U.S. call in left winger, Jonathan Amon from their U20 squad. Amon left the U.S. at 15 and trained with Danish side FC Nordsjaelland until he could officially sign on with the club when he turned 18. Last season, the year he turned 18, Amon logged six appearances for the club totaling one goal and two assists. This year Amon is a starter for his club team and bagged a goal in a Europa League qualifier against Kosovan side, FC Prishtina.